Start by marking “Northern Star” as Want to Read:
Northern Star

Northern Star

Deacon Miller never had it all—he never really believed he could. Growing up in a broken home with an alcoholic mother and a revolving door of truly pathetic father figures taught him to keep his expectations low. Now at twenty-seven, on the night before Christmas Eve, his life is turned upside down yet again; his boyfriend has dumped him, he just fled the holiday family r ...more
ebook, First, 249 pages
Published September 25th 2013 by Wilde City Press

To ask other readers questions about Northern Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northern Star

Susan
Sep 24, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it

I only just started reading Ethan Day (I know, I knooooowwww…where have I been?) but he’s quickly becoming my crack. Being a sap as I am and loving what I call the ‘easy’ read, it’s impossible for me not to like the stuff ED puts out.

'Northern Star' is my happy-to-read-any-day-book. You have a broken MC who just needs to be loved (Deacon). You have the perfect alpha (recently out) who’s solid and wants to take care of everything (Steve). You have some hot sex. Some even hotter romance.
Kade Boehme
Oct 02, 2013 Kade Boehme rated it it was amazing
Holy shit. Y'all, this book. I'm absolutely taken aback. I bought it then waited a couple days cuz I love Ethan Day. I needed a moment before delving into another of his silly worlds. But I got a surprise. Deacon's snark is fuckin priceless. And holy balls was there typical Day humor here ... But.. Deacon is my spirit animal. This guy is so sad and ruined by the world and life yet he still hangs on. Then comes beautiful, hunky, patient Steve with his big heart and his very ThiCk cock and brings ...more
Renée Yes-I-know-I-read-too-damn-much

This book started strong. Day has witty banter, great character development, and great relationship buildup. And many more sexy times than I remember him having in some of his other books.

Great setup: A phenomenal one night stand whom you haven't really forgotten about that you run into a few months later in the grocery store. Nice, right? I really kind of dug it.

And let's take a moment to appreciate the two cover models, cuz HELLO there.

What didn't work for me:
Way too descriptive at
Anke
Sep 24, 2013 Anke rated it really liked it

It was a difficult reading start for me, with pages and pages full of inner musings and an over-the-top-voice of Deacon. Then I either got used to it or it was toned down as I enjoyed reading on. The story flowed along quite nicely with some predictable ups and downs to then end with a very nice epilogue.
Heller
Sep 24, 2013 Heller rated it really liked it
3.75

At times the sadness that Deacon felt was overwhelming but I loved the romance between the MC's, it was slow moving but super hot. I really liked that there wasn't a big fix at the end and that Deacon and Steve were working hard to make their relationship succeed.

LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Sep 23, 2013 LiveYourLife BuyTheBook rated it it was amazing
♡♥5 Stars - KAPOW!♥♡
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

I noticed I wasn’t the only one to squee with joy when Ethan Day announced, kind of last minute, that, oh yeah, I have a new book coming out in a few days! I guess it’s nice that he didn’t torture us for a month teasing us with snippets because the waiting the few days was more than enough for me.

A snow storm leaves poor Deacon stuck in his hometown the day before Christmas Eve. He’s just had another fight with his alcoholic abusive moth
Lady*M
Sep 23, 2013 Lady*M rated it really liked it
Ethan Day writes two types of books: one is a goofball comedy that will leave you in stitches or gritting your teeth depending on your current mood and these quieter, gentler books like Northern Star. While At Piper's Point remains my favorite Ethan's book, this one just might become the second favorite.

The book is sweet and funny and deals with some serious issues. Deacon is damaged by years of neglect and abuse by his alcoholic mother that not even escape from her clutches helped. His self-wor
Cindi
Full review can be found at On Top Down Under Book Reviews.

Anytime I pick up an Ethan Day book I expect a bit of humor. Northern Star is no different. However, this is also a very serious story about very real issues. Both main characters are dealing with their pasts and must find common ground in order to make a relationship work. I found myself laughing quite a bit but I also found myself in tears more than once.

Another outstanding book by Ethan Day.

This book was provided by Wilde City Press
Lauraadriana
EEEEPPP!!! Gimme.Gimme.Gimme!!!!!!!!!
Jenn
Sep 29, 2013 Jenn rated it liked it

This is a story of twenty-seven year-old Deacon dealing with a recent break-up and family drama who meets forty-four year-old successful Steve Steele one night at a hotel bar. There is instant attraction that develops into more, but real life stresses may come between the two’s happily-ever-after.

So I guess I’m in the minority again. Let me stress, I am normally a HUGE fan of Ethan Day’s books, and his book As You Are is a constant reread for me. But this book didn’t feel like his norma
Sandra
There are apparently two types of Ethan Day books, one the funny, fluffy kind that is an easy read for a summer afternoon, the other a quiet, reflective book that explores human relationships and emotions on a much deeper level...

Full review available on Booklikes and my blog.
Sunny
Such an inconsistent read for me. There was a lot going on in this story and my reactions to it all kept changing. I loved it, I hated it, it was okay, then back to I loved it. Over and over. It made me mental.

I loved the parts that made me laugh and I liked some of the angsty parts that made me want to hug Deacon or Steve. I even admit to tearing up a few times, which doesn't happen very often. There were other parts, though, that felt forced, and weren't funny to me or were way too angsty for
Jenni Lea
Oct 16, 2013 Jenni Lea rated it really liked it
Thank you Ethan Day for giving me a nice, easy read when I so needed one! Muah! ♥
Sammy Goode
Oct 31, 2013 Sammy Goode rated it liked it

I am going to begin this review by saying I truly struggled over what to say and how to delineate what it was about this book that both drew me and repelled me all at the same time. I know that many Ethan Day fans view him as more of a humorist with really outstanding comedic timing and characters that cause us to laugh out loud. This is what author Ethan Day is truly known for and excels at, realistic characters that are flawed and vulnerable yet manage to keep themselves aloft and smi
Sadonna
Sep 24, 2013 Sadonna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pdf, mm, contemporary
4.5 stars. I always love Ethan's books. Whether it's the RomCom he's so brilliant at or the more serious tone that this book strikes, I just love reading his words. I was so surprised to find this book since I had NO idea it was even in the works.

Deacon is so badly damaged, it's a wonder he's actually still upright. Of course the more fucked up and damaged the character, the more I love and root for them. Steve is a guy who was deep in the closet for the first 40+ years of his life. Deacon reco
Lily
Sep 24, 2013 Lily rated it really liked it
3.9 stars rounded up. I cannot fault the solid writing, well contoured protagonists, a quite balanced plot and nice dose of sweet romance. However, I could not find the spark usually associated with a book by Ethan Day, regardless of his chosen style. I was a bit disappointed in that respect, yet enjoyed a pleasant reading journey.
Nathan Burgoine
Jul 11, 2017 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt, audiobooks
I listened to this one over a couple of days.

First off? It will surprise no one the audio performance by Jason Frazier was as excellent as ever. In a way, I wish authors would give him permission to adjust the writing just a little bit. Like, his voice acting is so top-notch that when he mutters something and then has to say "Deacon muttered" it can almost be jarring. I know he muttered it. I just heard him mutter. Frazier also has this way of controlling his breathing, making little kissing sou
Nic
Northern Star was a wonderful way to spend a couple hours and it was a pleasure to get to know Steve and Deacon.

Their first meeting at a hotel bar sets the tone for the whole book as they enjoy a nice easy and teasing banter. It was so much fun to follow the conversation back and forth....

Deacon faced Steve, propping up his elbow on the bar for support. "Say, you can't be too much of a dick, you at least asked how I'm doing, right?"
"Well, you did mention doing me before. I became infinitely mor
Shannon
Oct 01, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shannon by: Barbie
Loved this book. Was waffling between 4 and 5 stars and settled on 4 just because, for me, it was so hard to relate to someone feeling so worthless which made parts of the story seem off. They weren't really off but I personally didn't get it. Ha, that probably didn't make sense. Anyways....this was not as light-hearted as other Ethan Day books but the snarky humor was definitely there. And I ugly cried during parts so that's always a plus in my book. :D
Catherine
*** 2.5 Stars ***

The book - and my reactions to it - were totally inconsistent. Loving it one minute, feeling apathetic to it the next. All of the characters were okay, but I didn't love any of them. The story was okay, but the 'I'm not good enough for you' shtick got old pretty quick. The dialogue had its ups and downs too.

I dunno. I have a feeling that a week from now I won't remember the first thing about this book. *shrugs*
Mandi
Sep 24, 2013 Mandi rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-mm
What I liked - OMG, pretty much everything. The writing, the characters, the slow relationship buildup, the dealing with past issues...love, love, love.

What I didn't like - I'm used to a more light-hearted Ethan Day. It still has it's funny and really sweet moments, but this was a bit more serious than what I've read from him before (but really, don't let that turn you off from this awesome book)

Last Impression - While not my favorite from this author, still a great read. Recommended!
Pjm12
Jan 01, 2017 Pjm12 rated it really liked it
My last read of 2016. A book I have had forever. Thought I would be reading light, fluffy and friendly.

But it was darker and sadder than I expected. Deacon doesn't believe he is worthy, and his family is to blame for that. But Steve is determined to prove Deacon wrong.

This takes ages, and is sad and bad things keep happening. But Deacon is growing in confidence. It's a strong story of light through the tunnel.

Steve is a great character. I enjoyed it, even though it made me sad.
Hank Edwards
Sep 12, 2014 Hank Edwards rated it it was amazing
Was lucky enough to beta read this book (a plus to living in the Detroit area!). A touch of a darker tone than usual from Ethan, but nothing drastic. It was a great, romantic story and had me swooning, of course. Definitely recommended.
Donna
Sep 24, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
Northern Star was packed with the most realistic, brilliant people. From the MCs to the ex wife to the employer's bratty youngest daughter every single character Had such character that I wanted to know about all of them. Totally recommend even though it made me cry.
MsMiz (Tina)
Sep 23, 2013 MsMiz (Tina) rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt-all, romance
3.5 - Northern Star feels like the more serious side of Ethan Day's writing. I will come back with a more detailed review!
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Deacon, an incredibly sad and emotionally damaged twenty-seven-year-old is a classic example of an adult child of an alcoholic, and my heart breaks for him throughout this story. He’s needy, nerdy, and adorably pitiful. But he’s also sweet, sensitive, caring, self-effacing, selfless, and too broken to see his own assets.

After attempting a holiday visit with his mother and sister in his hometown of Detroit, Deacon storms out two days before Christmas when his homophobic mother accuses him once a
Christy Duke
Sep 25, 2013 Christy Duke rated it it was amazing
It seems like forever since I had a new release of Ethan Day's to devour. I so love his writing and have adored everything I've read so I was fairly confident that 'Northern Star' wouldn't be any different. Besides, who doesn't love a Christmas romance? Or, really hot sex, at least. *grins* Plus, I thought my husband was going to be a one-nighter (after a really long drought) and he's still here so I get the warm fuzzies for those kind of stories.

Deacon has had better days. His boyfriend of a ye
Fehu
Charming story with some serious undertones and very lovable characters. Deacon is having a bad day right before Christmas Eve: his boyfriend dumped him, he fought with his mother again and now he is spending Christmas Eve alone in the hotel bar. Meet Steel, Steve Steel, a car salesman who also comes to the bar and takes notice of the sweet sad guy, with big brown eyes. Sparks fly between them; of course something happens to disturb their intimate time. Ashley, Deacon's teenage sister calls him, ...more
Monika
Oct 03, 2013 Monika rated it it was amazing
Review posted on World of Diversity Fiction Reviews

Just add this to my growing list of Ethan Day books I love. Will there ever be a book of his I don’t love.....not likely!
I love Ethan’s humor and while Northern Star isn’t filled with it, it had its moments. This story is a bit more serious and has more angst than other books he’s written but it is beautiful all the same.

I think it’s fair to say that Northern Star starts out like a lot of M/M Romance stories, a younger man with a troubled past m
Joyfully Jay
Jan 06, 2014 Joyfully Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: zac
This review was originally written for Joyfully Jay Reviews.

4 stars

Throughout the book, fate seems to bring these two men together and a few months later, Deacon comes back to Michigan. Their connection reignites like it’s never been gone, and these two broken men begin to heal each other in ways only lovers can, both in and out of the bedroom.

Deacon was my favorite thing about this book. He is young, 27, and he’s endured a lot. I have a weakness for broken young men. I want to wrap them in warm
  • Shaking the Sugar Tree (Sugar Tree, #1)
  • Disasterology 101
  • Bolt-Hole
  • Raining Men (Chaser, #2)
  • The Coil
  • Summer Son
  • Zombie Boyz
  • Salvage (Salvage Stories, #1)
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • After the End
  • Texas Family (Texas, #4)
  • The Mingled Destinies of Crocodiles and Men (The River Dwellers, #2)
  • Riding Tall (The Fall, #2)
  • Last First Kiss (Southern Comfort #1)
  • A Heart for Robbie
  • Illumination
  • Sex & Sourdough
  • The Little Things
Welcome to Ethan Day's Goodreads Profile. I write mainly contemporary GLBT Romance Novels, but who knows what the future might bring and what other genres I may dive into.

Hopefully, you’ll find my books to be sexy as well as fun. Sex and romance, should be fun! If it isn’t, then perhaps you’re not doing it right.

I hope you love my characters as much as I do. With any luck they’ll inspire you the
More about Ethan Day...

“Fat man, tall man, big dick, small, ain’t nobody gonna have it all,” he mumbled, snickering to himself.” 0 likes