Start by marking “Paranoia (The Night Walkers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Paranoia (The Night Walkers, #2)

Paranoia (The Night Walkers #2)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  518 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
In the aftermath of the events that nearly killed him, Parker Chipp is trying to learn to cope better with life as a Watcher. And it seems to be working...until he wakes up in jail with a hangover and 12 hours of missing time. Darkness has somehow taken control and Parker doesn't have a clue how to stop him. He finds an unlikely ally in Jack, the mysterious guy in the moto ...more
Published June 8th 2014 by Flux (first published June 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Paranoia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paranoia

Sara Raasch
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sequels are HARD.

And JR Johansson makes it look EASY.

Damn her.

Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Sheila
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was so exciting to get the chance to read Paranoia early before it's release. Insomnia was one of my favorite reads last year. I was completely taken in to the world of the Night Walkers. Parker's journey in Paranoia is just as crazy and intense as it was Insomnia. You will find that there is no "2nd book in the series" let down here. There is more creepiness and wild happenings as Darkness takes over Parker's life. There are more shocking twists and turns as readers learn more about the worl ...more
Melissa Chung
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
My rating for this book is a 3.5/3.75.

Here's why-

1. Jack is an asshole! He keeps a lot of secrets to himself and continues to keep secrets until the very end.
2. The date scene.
3. Jack in general

I felt completely sad for Parker the entire book. Not only is he not completely whole, but one thing after another happens to bring him down. He becomes isolated and it's all Jack's fault.

Mia,Finn and Addie are awesome characters. But at one point they all abandon Parker which is a pretty shitty move. Whe
Colleen Houck
Oh I loved how this book ended. It was just exactly what I was hoping for. Jack was a great new addition. Love Addie. Favorite part was the break in and also I really like all of Finn's t-shirts. ;)
Diana Torales
3.5★
Richa
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, for-review, netgalley
Originally posted at City of Books

Paranoia exceeded my expectations and I ended up enjoying it even more than I did Insomnia! It's very rare that I like the second book in a series more than the first - usually I like the first better or they're equal. But there was so much plot development in this, and character development as well. It was a fantastic read, and I loved every bit of it.

After the fire that almost killed Parker, Mia and Finn, they're all laying low. Parker continues to sleep in Mi
Maud
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sequel
I need this book right now, the cover looks amazing!
Loved Insomnia and I just really really really need Paranoia in my hands asap...

Update:
Read it and loved it so much! Lots of awesome characters, new information and exciting things happen in this book. The ending was great and I can't wait for book 3! If you are looking for a YA thriller/horror this is your book, pick it up!

Another update:
You can watch my full review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP55K...
Vitamina Lu
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro estuvo increíble!! Tiene un buen ritmo, te sueltan demasiada información y todas tus preguntas van encontrado respuestas! Los personajes se vuelven más entrañables y se nota un gran cambio en nuestro protagonista Parker. Creo que insomnia es muy bueno pero lo siento un poco más "Rosa" o "juvenil" Paranoia lo senti con las fuerza y más oscuro, mañana mismo empiezo con Manía por que no puedo esperar para saber cómo termina esta increíble trilogía!!
Abstractelf
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2nd-in-series
It was so beautiful and I enjoyed it almost as much as I did Insomnia.
I have new favorite character (Darkness - yes, I love him so much!) and he gave me more feelings than anyone else.
I enjoyed learning more about the NWS and the whole world - it was very exciting to learn about their origin (by the way I absolutely loved the idea).
I found this book less scary and mysterious but it was more emotional than the first book.
Nai  | Libros con(té)
De nuevo, otro aspecto algo predecible que me hizo sacarle una estrella pero debo admitir que estos libros son fascinantes. Me encanta la trama. Es una idea super original que no deja de sorprenderme. Me parece asombroso el mundo de los Caminantes Nocturnos creado por J. R. Johansson y no puedo esperar a tener Manía en mis manos.
Leigh
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic read. Reading the second book of a series is always rough. I worry a bit because they seem weaker. NOT THE CASE HERE! This was a strong story that continued to keep you on your toes. A definite page turner. Now I'm ready for more and sad I have to wait. Johansson can definitely weave a tale. Can't wait for more.
Szilvamag
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cari
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! I didn't know there was a book 3 but I'm so excited to read it now!!
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Fantastic story that was almost impossible to put down. Jam packed with action, romance, and suspense this is sure to please all YA thriller fans!

Opening Sentence: Weird stuff was going down in Oakville, and this time I was definitely—well, fairly—sure that I had nothing to do with it.

The Review:

For the last few years of his life, Parker hasn’t been able to sleep. Every time he tries to sleep he ends up going into the dreams of the last pers
Dianne
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

Thank you to Flux and NetGalley for the review copy! This in no way affected my views of the novel.

It's here, you guys!! PARANOIA IS HERE!!!! And I'm here to share my review of the sequel to one of the books I loved last year, INSOMNIA. Just be warned that there will be spoilers about INSOMNIA so please do read this only when you've read the first book.

Jenn Johansson is back with another dark and twisty novel and I gobbled it up in a day. This seems like
Shae McDaniel
Originally reviewed at: http://www.shaelit.com/2014/07/review...

Insomnia was one of my favorite thriller reads from 2013, a book that more than lived up to the promise in its name, so I was excited to reenter Parker's world in Paranoia. After all the chaos that erupted in the last book, our boy has earned some peace, and he got it for a little while, but when Paranoia starts, things go topsy-turvy in typical Johansson fashion.

As the synopsis says, the story opens with Parker waking up in jail wi
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

So in this second installment of The Night Walkers, we have Parker who is finally getting a hang of this whole Watcher thing... well, kind of thanks to Mia's dreams. But when Mia, Addie, and Finn leave on vacation for a whole week, things take a horrible turn into Freakyville. At the start of the week, things seem to be going somewhat okay for Parker, nothing more than sleep deprivation and exhaustion, but keeping Darkness under control. Until one day, when the wee
Pili
I was very lucky to be approved by Flux books on NetGalley for Paranoia, and after finishing Insomnia, I was extremely eager to get some more answers to all the unanswered questions!

I'm gonna try to keep this review as spoiler free as possible, but you can expect some spoilers for the first book.

Paranoia starts pretty much where Insomnia left us with Parker, Mia, Finn and Addie dealing with the aftermath of what happened by the end of the book, and recovering from it. Parker is now better since
Katherine Paschal
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Parker has gotten into a happy rhythm with his life in the last four months since the school fire/Jeff incident. He hangs out with his best friend Finn, secretly sees Finn’s sister Abbie, and spends his nights sleeping inside Mia’s dreams. His life is not perfect, but for once he is doing ok with everything. But unfortunately nothing really ever ends well for Parker. People have been going missing, his evil alter ego is making demands on him, and there are more things out there than the Watchers ...more
Jenny - Book Sojourner
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-arc, read-in-2014
Overall: 4-1/2 Stars

Paranoia is a great sequel, and I liked it even better than Insomnia (which I liked!). Here we jump right back into things a few months after where Insomnia ended. Parker is still dealing with his dream walking, Mia's dreams help him, but Parker is far from cured. Finn and Addie are still his besties, and in Addie's case, something a bit more but undefined. Darkness, however, is also still around, complicating Parker's life all over the place. And if that weren't enough, Jack
Kirsty Vizard
In Paranoia J R Johansson drives us further into the Night Walker world, which we first encountered in Insomnia.
The story begins with a mystery; individuals disappearing in Oakville and its surrounding area, which forces us to question the connection this has with the Walkers. Luckily, J R Johansson has already considered this and to bring more depth to the story Jack is re-introduced, only this time as a main character. Jack is Parker's 'protector', appointed as such by Parker's missing father.
Johanna
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
See my full review on my blog: Challenging Reads!

Parker has finally learned that there are other Watchers like himself who walk in other people's dreams and call themselves Night Walkers. Jack is one of them and just like he promised in book one, he has a few things to teach Parker. But meanwhile Parker is adjusting to his new destiny, strange things happen in Oakville and they might be related to the Night Walkers. And if that wasn't enough, Parker keeps messing up things with his friends, Fin
Shannon (Twilight Sleep)
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-received
THIS. This is how you write the second novel in a series. J.R. Johansson is such a talented author - I've known that for a while but PARANOIA just cemented that fact. I've been a disappointed by a lot of the sophomore efforts I've read lately, but I feel like this book has given me the strength to make it through. What a breath of fresh air.

In PARANOIA we find ourselves back in the (often creepy) life of Parker, a Night Walker who can only find sleep in the dreams of others. In this book we find
Erin
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-2014, read-2014
Advanced copy received from the publisher (Flux) at Teen Lit Con, Minneapolis.

Fantastic follow up to Insomnia. I actually liked this book better than the first, I think because I actually liked Parker through the whole book! He did a couple dumb things, but he's a good guy :)

Lots of surprising twists and complications in this story. Definitely kept me wondering "how are they going to fix this???" (which is one of my signs of a good story. If I actually care about how the characters are going to
Brenda
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I cannot begin to express how much I loved this book.
Generally, the second book in a trilogy is always a little weaker than the others. This is definitely not the case.
As it happened with Insomnia, I felt that this book could have been just a stand alone, because they it is so great that it has everything it needs to make a story perfect!
Regarding the characters, I loved finding out more about each of them. I loved them all, and I could feel their pain and their exhaustion throughout the events.
Paula Mayfair
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Pero que decepción!! El primer libro me encantó, si bien la historia me sigue pareciendo fascinante, tanto los personajes como el romance es débil. El personaje de Parker me gustó en el primer libro con toda esa cosa de Villano/Heroe ahora simplemente me pareció ilógico, irreflexivo e impulsivo, simplemente sus racionamientos no tenían sentido "yo dejaría a mi familia si creyera que los pongo en peligro, pero mi padre es el peor y más malo por dejarnos cuando nos ponía en peligro". El resto de l ...more
Taffy
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
While reading this book, the lyrics to Monster by Imagine Dragons kept coming to me:

Ever since I could remember,
Everything inside of me,
Just wanted to fit in (oh oh oh oh)
I was never one for pretenders,
Everything I tried to be,
Just wouldn't settle in (oh oh oh oh)

If I told you what I was,
Would you turn your back on me?
And if I seem dangerous,
Would you be scared?
I get the feeling just because
Everything I touch isn't dark enough
That this problem lies in me

Don't those lyrics fit perfectly?

Parker t
Katie
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Awesome read! I loved it!

This is the 2nd book in a series called The Night Walkers. You should definitely read her first book in the series Insomnia before reading this one. This is the continuing story about a boy named Parker. He sees the dreams of the person he last made eye contact with before he goes to sleep.

This book had me hooked and I didn't want to stop reading it until I was done. Jenn has a very skilled way of writing that keeps you wanting more and always wanting to know what is goi
Andree Valeri
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-2016
Tardé muchísimo en terminarlo porque estuve en medio de exámenes y demás y no pude centrarme tanto en la lectura como me hubiese gustado. Decidí darle una segunda oportunidad a esta serie porque el final del primer libro me dejó con mucha intriga y además esperaba que este libro fuese mucho mejor que el primero. Y así fue. En comparación del primero, este me enganchó mucho más, aunque me costó. No sé si voy a leer el tercer libro cuando salga a la venta, depende de como vaya la historia.
  • Stone of Destiny (The Danaan Trilogy, #2)
  • The Broken Forest
  • Played (Hooked, #2)
  • When I’m With You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #3)
  • Wickedpedia
  • The 100 Society
  • The Turning Tides (Marina's Tales, #4)
  • Dark Sacrifice (Dark Paradise #2)
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • The Wooden Prince (Out of Abaton #1)
  • Submerging Inferno (Men of Myth, #1)
  • The Weight of Souls
  • Under Nameless Stars (Zenn Scarlett, #2)
  • This is W.A.R.
  • In Dreams
  • The Soul Thief
  • The Darkling
  • Uniquely Unwelcome (The Shadow World, #1)

The Night Walkers (3 books)
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
  • Mania (The Night Walkers, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)