Start by marking “¡Cochabamba!: Water War in Bolivia” as Want to Read:
¡Cochabamba!: Water War in Bolivia

¡Cochabamba!: Water War in Bolivia

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Historically a common trust, water is now bought and sold as a private commodity. With billions at the mercy of an unrestrained marketplace, it is easy to understand why this precious resource is at the center of the international movement working to turn back the rising tide of corporate globalization.

The triumphant struggle of grassroots activists in Cochabamba, Bolivia,
Published November 1st 2004 by South End Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about ¡Cochabamba!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ¡Cochabamba!

Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books on neoliberalism that I have ever read. AND it is one of the best books on alternatives to neoliberalism that I have ever read. AND it engaging and easy to read (in the positive sense).

On the face of it, this is the story of how a major urban area in Bolivia fought against the privatization of their water and sewage system (SEMAPA). And won! But the great thing is that not only is the story of the organizing against the privtization rendered in a very engaging mann
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diy-culture
A really good book to give you the down low on Bolivian resistance to Bechtel Corporation coming into the country and taking over all the water in order to price gouge/exploit Bolivians. Yes, that's right. All water--including the rain. There was a massive uprising that beat back the corporation and their hired brute force--the state--and won a victory against globalization.

Some of the chapters are really good, some of them, as I recall, read oddly and I wonder if that's due to the translation.
Jun 18, 2007 rated it liked it
¡Cochabamba! is a quick review of the privatization of Bolivian water, grassroots efforts to oppose that privatization, and the impact on development, civil society, and resource politics within Bolivia. The tone tone is advocacy-based and like reading a relatively superficial news or magazine article. However, it provides a beginning introduction to the tension between neoliberal capitalism's focus on privatization-driven globalization, indigenous politics, and environmental justice and resourc ...more
Ryan Greer
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
In spite of its trite title, Cochabamba! is the most in depth and thoughtful narrative about the Water Wars in 2000 and the Gas Wars in 2003 that I have ever read.

Oscar Olivera provides a description of events that is both factual as well as inspirational, and instead of taking a wounded approach - look what these mean multinationals have done to us - he uses Cochabamba's history as a battle cry for the rest of the world. Even though the book is a little dated, I highly recommend it for anyone l
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Although the back-and-forth between various authors made it a bit disjointed, I appreciated the firsthand accounts of how ordinary working Bolivians organized themselves to take on a major corporation. The authors were upfront about the challenges and what the leadership could have done better, and also discussed the aftermath of the war--ie, having to organize a community-controlled water system. My only major complaint is that I wanted more!

I really enjoyed the first essay, then a couple at the end under the Gas War section, but the ones in between were mostly reiterations of how bad neoliberalism is. Definitely a great realization of what massive citizen action can do. I hope the people of Cochabamba can reverse more of the negative effects of global capitalism in their future efforts.
Mar 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really inspiring, very readable story about the people of Cochabamba's victory against privatization, and, specifically, against Bechtel
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Down with whitety. People power in the disco hour.
Oct 15, 2007 marked it as to-read
Wondering if anyone I know has this book for me to borrow... Guess it's a little bit out of the mainstream press for the library to have it.
Dec 29, 2007
Sep 15, 2017
Jul 12, 2008
Rob Coyner
Apr 06, 2009
rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2014