Start by marking “What Do You Do with an Idea?” as Want to Read:
What Do You Do with an Idea?

What Do You Do with an Idea?

(What Do You Do With...)

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  6,236 ratings  ·  1,213 reviews
This is the story of one brilliant idea and the child who helps to bring it into the world. As the child's confidence grows, so does the idea itself. And then, one day, something amazing happens. This is a story for anyone, at any age, who's ever had an idea that seemed a little too big, too odd, too difficult. It's a story to inspire you to welcome that idea, to give it ...more
Published February 1st 2014 by Compendium Inc

To ask other readers questions about What Do You Do with an Idea?, please sign up.
Alexandria Childrens books can be hard to review and many of the people writing the reviews are probably trying to keep a specific audience in mind. My reviews…moreChildrens books can be hard to review and many of the people writing the reviews are probably trying to keep a specific audience in mind. My reviews are written for caregivers who are in a bit of a rush, so I try to highlight the big "ups" and big "downs" of each childrens' book, but since there's not much material to review it can lead to a lot of repetitive reviews.(less)
Beth Even the word 'universe' can be a metaphor. With this book, I think is about any ideas, that can in a sense grow. It can be any idea to me. That is…moreEven the word 'universe' can be a metaphor. With this book, I think is about any ideas, that can in a sense grow. It can be any idea to me. That is what I would tell children. One purpose of book is to raise child's self-esteem... No idea is poor.(less)

·  6,236 ratings  ·  1,213 reviews

Start your review of What Do You Do with an Idea?
Carmen
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one
I was not a fan of this preachy book.

For one thing, the 'idea' in this book seems to be a walking egg that wears a crown. For no discernible reason that I can see. Annoying.

The 'idea' is in color, but the boy and the boy's world is not. The egg/idea follows him around, adding color to whatever it touches. Eventually the egg/idea... explodes? Um, is set free? I have no idea, because it still exists, waddling around like a weirdo, but apparently it has transferred color to the little boy's whole
Lonna | FLYLēF
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-challenge
Take me back before the days of motherhood, and I would look at a book like What Do You Do with an Idea? and think Oh, that's cute. Now however, I have developed an appreciation for children's book through the discerning eyes of a mother. Kobi Yamada captures the heart of a child, while Mae Besom's illustrations capture their imagination. It's visually stunning with a heart-expanding plot.
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What would you do with an idea? Pack it away? Save it for later? How about setting it free? Use your ideas because they change the world... Everything around you was once an idea... You were an idea... Yes i am talking to you... My friend Eddy was an idea... Yes Eddy you know who you are.... Hi by the way.... Look at me i'm typeing a review!!!! Anyways enough about Eddy lets get back to our ideas... Maybe you have a dream to build a house... Become a vet... Finish college.... Those are all your ...more
Michelle Nero
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this book on so many levels.

I want to read this book again and again. I want to savor the meaning and fall into the illustrations.

Wow.
David Schaafsma
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
This is a highly reviewed book, one of the highly nominated Goodreads 2014 Picture book nominees, and I think it is just okay. It's too long for the point it makes, and the point it makes is not original or discussed that interestingly. It's not really a kid book; it's a parent book for how to preach to your kid about how to be creative, but it is no Quest or Harold and the Purple Crayon that show you what imagination is. This does show you an egg-as-idea that the artist creates and nurtures, ...more
Andy
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
An idea is a sort of a tumor that shows up and keeps growing until you can't hide it anymore and then it bursts and gets all over everything.

This is inspiring how exactly? Why is the kid so passive? Why does he/she have no role in generating or evaluating the idea? What if the idea is something terrible like .....?

By all means, fight for a good idea, whether it's yours or not, but don't fight for your idea whether it's bad or good. That's madness. Not every idea is brilliant just because it's
Marlene
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was short & sweet. An amazing children's book with a great message! :)
Sandra
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What do you do with an idea? That's a very good question. One day you have an idea. You don't know exactly where it came from. At first you act as if it didn't exist, but if follows you. You worry about what other would think of it, and even give up on it. But then you realize you feel happy when you spend time with your idea, so you decide to feed it, and it grows, and grows, until it is part of everything. This is one of the best picture books I have read recently. Highly recommended for every ...more
Jocelin
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a positively brilliant book. This book is not just for children but, it is for anyone that has had an idea. This is a great book for motivating anyone that has an idea that needs to be nurtured and protected.
In this fast paced world so many forget about the small ideas that have had an impact on others lives. This book is a refreshing reminder of the importance of ideas and why we should strive to keep them going.
Wonderful book!
✩ Ashley ✩
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
4 Stars ...more
Kristine Hansen
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cute illustrations, amazing message. This is a book I'd throw at any adult who needed to feel like they could change the world. Giving a child this book could only be magical.
Jenny's
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
"What do you do with an idea. Where did it come from? Why is it here?" I wondered, " What do you do with an idea?"

One small boy sets out on the black and white pages of this story to ask some very important questions about idea's. As the story, or idea grows, (shaped like an egg with feet, and a small gold crown on top). Color slowly grows out from the idea until the pictures are all color at the end. This book is creative treasure. Grandmother approved.

I have a soft spot for really good
Amy
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this gorgeously illustrated book to my classes yesterday to get them thinking about the Invention Fair the science department is putting on in February. We’ll be writing an expository essay in Language Arts to explain how they came up with their inventions and/or how to use their inventions.

I love the visual symbolism and the discussions the story prompted.

And now, I’m officially on Christmas break. Today I ignore all my chores and read. It’s a tradition.
Joyce Yattoni
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this story. A great metaphor for brainstorming and shaping ideas.
Sanja_Sanjalica
Just magical. A book to hug.
Clare Cannon
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
With a bit of guidance from an inspired parent or teacher, this book could be a gem. On its own it gets a little stuck, remaining undefined and perhaps confusing.

Ideas don't generally take over the world by themselves, they require work. Neither do they always work for good - as implied by the beautiful colour illustrations brought to life by this unknown 'idea'. Some ideas have been quite harmful, and many ideas—thankfully—haven't gone anywhere.

But with some context and further discussion this
Maisara
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“You change the world.”

Deep-seated with the notion that a morsel of an idea, however elusive, that pops in our mind, is indeed something that can change a situation. That is, if, like the protagonist we choose to act upon it.

A delightful read with captivating illustrations for the young and old.
Alison Strandell
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has an inspiring message for students to show confidence, dream big, and let the heart be the guide. Thanks, Joyce. It is a great lead-in for TED Talks.
Van Hoang
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My head shrinker recommended Kobi Yamada's other book, What Do You Do With a Problem so I picked this up also and it is so beautiful. The story and illustrations, the message, everything about it. I want to frame every page and plaster it on the walls to remind myself everyday that things like this exist.
La Coccinelle
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
The subject matter here might seem a little esoteric for a picture book, but it actually works really well.

The story is told in the first person by a small child who has an idea. The idea is drawn as an egg with legs wearing a crown. It's always surrounded by a bit of colour, as if anywhere it steps it brings new life with it. The other illustrations are black and white... but as the book progresses, the idea's colour starts to rub off on everything around it. The idea grows, too, becoming
Teena
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
This was an incredible children's book. I recommend it to every parent, and those of us childless adults who happen to have a soft spot for children's books (like me).

The illustrations are beautiful, a bit whimsical, and very, very cute. I love the character designs and the page layouts. As an added bonus, the story is really well-written and engaging. It is told in the first person POV and the prose aren't like a typical children's book. It is not that one-syllable-word, five-word-per-sentence
Carly
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great picture book to end the year with. I read it in hopes that it would inspire me in this upcoming year to go with my ideas and be more flexible to my environment. Last term was very difficult in academic terms, so I'm hoping to take a smoother approach to this term and have more creative outlets.

I'm hoping to read more books, paint more watercolors, do more bullet journalling, and perhaps pick up a ceramics class. Hopefully it will be a good year full of self-care.
Idrishia Curnal
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think the book was amazing because it taught me to not let a good idea go but let it go by itself. I think the author made the book for a reason and i think that reason is because don't let other people tell you your idea is horrible or crazy just listen to your heart.Love your idea and let it go when it wants to go.
Lynnette Kraft
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The cover of this book caught my attention in Barnes and Noble. I picked it up and read it and decided right then and there that I had to buy it. It is simple and profound... adorable and inspiring. I'm in love with it and have already read it to my 10 year old son... and my 24 year old daughter. <3
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
It's okay if it's different, and weird, and maybe a little crazy.

A delightful, art-fully told story about the value of different thinking. Whimsy & wonder abound in this tale about our personal legacy.
Seana
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely sentiment and gorgeous illustrations.
Irena
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Beautiful illustrations and Inspiring story.
Shawn Deal
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A wonderful little concept and story. Very positive. Great illustrations.
Elisabeth Ensor
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel that my word for 2018 is Brave! Everywhere I turn I see books, quotes and encouragement to step out and dream bigger for next year. This sweet book about making friends with an idea was perfect as I try to navigate new ideas... I know I need to be open to them and to befriend them when they come. I cannot wait to read this book to my kids!
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
A simple and beautiful concept presented simply beautifully. A real exemplar to opening any child's mind to a world of imagination and possibilities.
Fox #2 - What Do You Do with an Idea? 1 1 Jun 11, 2019 02:27PM

• Dragons Love Tacos
  • The Day the Crayons Quit
  • Spork
  • The Word Collector

What Do You Do With... (3 books)
  • What Do You Do with a Problem?
  • What Do You Do With a Chance?
“But there was something magical about my idea. I had to admit, I felt better and happier when it was around.” 0 likes