Start by marking “The Maid of Milan” as Want to Read:
The Maid of Milan

The Maid of Milan

How much would you pay for a clear conscience?
Adelaide Leeson wants to prove herself worthy of her husband, a man of noble aspirations who married her when she was at her lowest ebb.
Lord Tristan Leeson is a model of diplomacy and self-control, even curbing the fiery impulses of his youth to maintain the calm relations deemed essential by his mother-in-law to preserve his w
Published March 1st 2014 by Choc Lit (first published February 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Maid of Milan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maid of Milan

Start your review of The Maid of Milan
Caz
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
At the age of seventeen, Adelaide Henley – beautiful, vivacious and determined to sample all the delights life had to offer - had an affair with an older, unhappily married man while living in Milan with her mother and diplomat father.

When Adelaide and her lover were discovered, they were swiftly parted and she was taken back to England utterly distraught, often to the detriment of her physical health. In order to explain Adelaide’s lack of virginity to a potential suitor, her overbearing mothe
Books Mom
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I began reading this story expecting it to be another typical Regency romance. Wrong. This was certainly not a typical story of any kind.

Addy is married to Tristan and loves him dearly. However, he doesn’t really allow himself to get very close to her. Her mother appears to actually hate her, and does everything in her power to disrupt her marriage. In spite of this, Addy is beginning to get closer to Tristan and her to her.

Then Tristan’s best friend, James, comes to town with his very young fia
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Tired of the average, run-of-the-mill historical romance? If so, Maid in Milan is the book for you! With a complex plot, extremely well developed characters and lots of twists and turns, this book will captivate you from start to finish.

Adelaide Leeson has been through a lot. After a passionate affair with Lord James Dewhurst, she’s left mourning the loss of their still-born child and is in quite a delicate condition, both emotionally and physically. Thanks to some quick thinking and deceiving b
Mave
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
When she was a girl and lived in Milan Adelaide has had an affair and lost the child she was. To hide the scandal she and her mother move to England. The mother convinces her to marry Tristan, a young widower and devises a ploy to justify its non virginity: their ship was attacked by pirates and the girl was raped. Convinces Tristan that the trauma has resulted in a fragile state of physical and mental health, and this justifies the coldness of women in their relationships. Adelaide bears this m ...more
Christine
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is not your average historical romance. It opens with an irresistible premise – Adelaide is three years married to the handsome Tristan. She has a controlling mother and a terrible secret. With her physical health improving she can now see her husband for the noble man he is and her desire for him grows. Now enter the “other man” entwined in her secret...
Not only did this story have me absorbed by the romantic tension we all expect from a romance but also had me hanging on every word as it
Robyn Koshel
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to be honest, when I got this book I thought it was going to be another fluffy Regency bodice ripper romance with some rake in mole skin trousers. Was I wrong! This book is nothing like you would expect. The only way I can describe it, is as a Regency version of Dynasty. It has everything, secrets, lies, blackmail, love triangles, death, drug addiction, jealousy, affairs, scandals, oh and some bodice ripping too- the only thing it is missing is Joan Collins. However, I think Mrs. Henley, ...more
Bookread2day
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read with joy the paperback version of The Maid of Milan. This happens to be the very first book that I have read from the author Beverley Eikli. After reading and enjoying The Maid Of Milan so much, I will certainly be reading more of her books. Once I started reading from the first page in this book there was no stopping me.
I was swept away by Adelaide Lesson's life with her secrets. I do not want to tell readers much about Adelaide's life as I do not want to give the plot away. What I will
Rhoda Baxter
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I really enjoyed The Reluctant Bride. I was rather hoping it would have the same political intrigue as TRB, but it was very different. That's not to say it was any lesser. (Is that a real word? Must check).

Adelaide is living a lie - he husband Tristan thinks she's fragile and prone to 'nerves'. She is prone to headaches and spells of heavy lethargy that she herself can't explain. Then there's her weird manipulative nutjob mother...
Tristan is a lovely hero. Very kind an
Jolene
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This was a really in depth heart rending emotional rollercoaster ride in a book. Once started it was very hard to put down. At several points especially at the end tears were rolling down my cheeks. I love these books that pull your emotions in twenty directions.
Jamie
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-request
✮ Read this review and more like it on The Last Page

Adelaide is a young wife with a past full of scandal who has come to love a husband she was pushed into marrying to save her reputation. While at first she doesn’t care for Tristan, after getting to know the good person and even better husband that he is she falls in love with him. After years of living with guilt over the lies she’s forced to live with and the unsteady beginnings of her marriage, Adelaide’s quiet life is upset when the love
Blodeuedd Finland
This is not some fluffy romance book, but then I knew it would not be. No, it's between historical fiction and romance. It brings more drama and doubt.

Adelaide, oh poor Addy. Her mother has her firmly in her grasp. Sure she is married to a sweet and kind man, and yes she is happy and loves him. But her mother keeps her down, tells her not to be passionate and just makes life dull and miserable. She used to be passionate, but that brought tragedy and a broken heart. And now her former lover comes
Janine Southard
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, victoriana
This book was very competently written. I could tell who was doing what, why, and how it all smelled/looked/felt. That's why it gets the "it's okay" number of stars.

Unfortunately, it also employed some of my least favorite Regency-plot points. E.g., the horrible mother who keeps her daughter down; sorta-kinda-but-not-really cheating. Moreover, the main character is preoccupied with being good looking. Yes, fine, that is her most salable feature in this time period, but can't she have a second oc
Dalene
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First, I would like to thank the author Beverley Eikli for gifting me this book for an honest review. I love this book, it has a complex plot with many twists and turns making a great story-line. The characters are well developed and written. It kept me intrigued through the whole book. I look forward to reading more from this author.
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

Ms. Eikli has penned another wonderfully moving historical!

Read full review in the 2014 June/July Double Issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Tami
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eikli-b
This is my review of The Maid of Milan by Beverly Eikli, This was not your average regency or historical romance. The author described a very accurate accounting of how love realistically is. AKA not your mommas romances. I enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading more from her.
Aishwarya
Mar 08, 2015
Katrina
May 07, 2017
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 07:33AM

• The Dreadful Debutante (The Royal Ambition Series #1)
  • Come Pour the Wine
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Searching for Grace Kelly
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • Poison Fruit (Agent of Hel, #3)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • The Forever Queen (Saxon #2)
  • Night Sky with Exit Wounds
  • Mastering the Marquess (The Stanton Family, #1)
  • One Rogue at a Time (Rakes and Rogues, #2)
  • An Inconvenient Duke (Lords of the Armory, #1)
  • The Wicked Sister
  • Pride and Petticoats (Spies, #2)
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Brandon-Morgan #6)
Since my earliest memories of growing up in Mokhotlong, ‘the British Empire’s remotest Outpost’ in the African mountainous kingdom of Lesotho, I’ve loved adventure.

After Independence I emigrated with my family to Adelaide, Australia, where I did my schooling before getting a job as a journalist, writing fiction in the evenings and features for newspapers and magazines during the day.

In my twenties