Start by marking “Impossible Things” as Want to Read:
Impossible Things

Impossible Things

Kael Vapensigsson is one of the elite Chosen—a Warlord whose strength comes from the gods themselves. But despite all his power and prestige, he is plagued by a prophecy that threatens to destroy everything he loves.

When Kael summons Ishtaer to his room and discovers the marks of the Chosen on her body, including the revered mark of the Warrior, both Warlord and slave see
Published March 1st 2014 by Choc Lit (first published January 6th 2014)

Start your review of Impossible Things
Kathleen
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: Cristina
Solid 4 stars, with kudos to Cristina for the rec! By turns grim, pathetic, heartwarming, smexy, and witty, this is fantasy romance, or maybe a romantic fantasy, since the love story -- while beautiful -- doesn't permeate the narrative or drive the plot completely. The love built very slowly, beginning in fear and distrust, then growing to friendship, and finally to physical desire. The romance, the plot, the characters, and the secondary relationships held my attention from page 1. Nice wolf p ...more
Gavin
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This was a decent enough fantasy/romance but not one that will live long in the memory.

Notorious warlord and pirate Kael Vapensigsson rescues the blind slave Ishtaer from her cruel and abusive mistress after spotting she has the marks of the Chosen upon her skin. He is sceptical of the validity of the magical marks as Ishtaer not only has a previously unheard of three Chosen marks, but also bears the mark of the Warrior, something no female has done before. He takes her back to the Empire where
Shadi ***save your ratings use disclaimers**
Book Facts: Impossible Things

Genre: Fantasy some Romance

Part of a Series/Installment:
Standalone/Cliffhanger: (view spoiler)
M/F-M/M-M/M/F-etc: (view spoiler)
Multi-Luv'n/Ménages: (view spoiler)
Was There Descriptive Sex: (view spoiler)
Contains Cheating: (view spoiler)
Amount of Sex in The Book: (view spoiler)
Overall Steam Factor/Chemistry: (view sp
Mandi Schreiner
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My friend Pamela rec'd this is to me and I really enjoyed this one. The hero is a warlord - feared by many - but is really a good guy. He actually falls in love first in this book and I liked that.

The heroine is a blind slave, rescued by the hero - she is also a healer, a seer and a warrior. She's pretty awesome. She was abused so much as a slave, she has A LOT to overcome. And she does and I loved her journey.

In terms of physical romance, there isn't much in this book. The heroine takes a long
Jane Stewart
3 ½ stars. A pretty good story. Above average.

I liked the character Ishtaer. She did some neat things. She starts off starved, beaten, nearly dead. She is rescued from slavery and turns into a powerful force. I liked the parts where she dealt with a bully and different enemies. I liked the character Kael and his issues. There is a little romance mostly at the end. But romance is not the main focus. It’s more about Ishtaer’s development, changes, actions, and her friends.

A few times my mind wande
Blodeuedd Finland
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasyromance
I really liked this one. I would not call it fantasy romance, because yes there were romance but far at the end. Too many issues before that. So light romantic fantasy, something ;) Cos it sure is not epic fantasy either, not with the whole will they wont they going on.

I liked the world, and the sprinkle of norse words here and there did make it cool. And it does show the difference between places in this world.

First, the Chosen are those with a mark of a Healer, a warrior or a Seer and they le
◊♦ Naomi
So, I wrote this long, thoughtful review for this great book and I saved it and for some reason Goodreads decided not to save it after all so my long, thoughtful review was deleted and I'm very angry and frustrated at the moment. I need to take a deep breath. Calm down. Naomi, you cannot physically harm a website. Just breathe.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
2020 review:
2 stars
I re-read this recently and downgraded my rating based on the fact that I must have skimmed over a bunch of inconsistencies in my first reading, along with jarring use of modern slang in a few places, over use of the word ‘swiving’, and the portrayal of the amazing warlord Kael as a complete moron on more than one occasion. (view spoiler)
Pamela / SpazP
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
ADORED this book. It contained everything I love in a story, and I devoured this right up. I look forward to seeing more by this author, would LOVE another book set in this world!!! Gah, I don't want this to be over.
Callie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such an amazing story of healing, and in my fave genre of fantasy romance! I'm especially giddy when discovering hidden gems. At first, I was enjoying this just enough, thought it was yet another typical romance between warlord and slave (who coincidentally is the chosen one), whose hurts will be magically healed through love and all that.

But no, Kate Johnson took us through all of heroine Ishtaer's journey, there were no shortcuts, and it was so satisfying. Though what Ishtaer went thr
Nicole
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Impossible Things is one of those stories that stick to you, I'm sure I'll be thinking about it for several days and will be eager to re-read it soon. There are so many things I liked about the story, one of them being a very strong heroine, believe me, that woman went through a lot, and I mean A LOT, so it was beautiful to see her evolve and gather the strength to conquer her fears and give herself an opportunity to live, to trust, to love and to believe she could have a happy life in spite of ...more
Mara
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
A very shaky three stars. Very good beginning, dragging second part where characters became difficult to relate to, heroine with weird PTSD symptoms, like lack of any logic thoughts even in unrelated areas, hero as a doormat.

Lack of world building, as a school of magic where to graduate you don't have to learn, just be, or shortcuts to it, like a world-wide common language in a world with no means of transportation except horses and boats, made the book shakier.

The book is cheap enough to warran
E_bookpushers
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2014/02/18/...

Where did you get the book: Bought/ARC offered by the publisher
Publisher: Choc lit Books
Release Date: Out now

Lucina

I really liked the story, although I had my doubts when I read some reviews for this book! But I'm more than happy that I tried it, the book is not well known I guess, but was a highlight for me. My fears were that the story would be too angsty and depressing for me, especially considering that trigger warning (view spoiler) played a huge role in Ishtaers life. It wasn't explained in great detail but we get gli
Patricia
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awesome book can’t believe I waited so long to read it. Would have loved if this was a series
Kristina
Sep 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I really wanted to like this book, because the premise sounded good and the world introduced in the first couple chapters was interesting (potentially interesting magic system and culture), and I was prepared to cut it a lot of slack, being from an independent publisher and all. The first half of the book was pretty good, all things considered. The writing wasn’t great, but still, the story was good. I wasn’t even put off by the “modern” style dialogue that I saw complaints of in reviews; not al ...more
Viki
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a dreadful book, which is a shame because the prose reads nicely, and the characters feel human.

The problem is that Ishtaer is one hell of a Mary Sue.

If you are blind, I am fairly certain you are not able to:

- Fight competently with a sword just by sound alone
- Instantly navigate everywhere you go after being guided round it once
- Be able to use herbs and mix potions purely on smell/texture alone (a bit more plausible, but she's not been trained for very long)
- Deliver babies
- Pull a d
Caro
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Really enjoyed the main plot of this one, though I wasn't fan of a few things.

Loved Ishtaer, she went through so much and she became such a strong woman. In terms of romance, there is a story with Kael, but the book is more of Ishtaer's journey and how she overcame her difficult life than romance. I liked Kael, even though he was an ass a lot of the time, but there was just something that felt a bit off with him. I can't tell what it was, but it prevented me from completely fall in lov
Mariah
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, bought
This book was AMAZING. I really enjoyed all that it had to offer from the release from slavery and degradation, to learning how to move in the world as free, to becoming a person who was willing to fight for themselves and others instead of just how to survive without fighting back. Although blind, Ishtaer can see the world so much better than those with sight and I absolutely love the reason given as to why she became blind - not that I'm going to say. And the Warlord Kael is an interesting cre ...more
Fenella Miller
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Kate Johnson's first fantasy The Untied Kingdom a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it but Impossible Things is even better. Being a writer myself it takes an exceptional book to so engross me that I can't do anything else until I've finished the book.
I started the book last night and only stopped reading because my Kindle needed recharging. I charged overnight and woke up at six o'clock and didn't get up until I'd finished the book.
For me it was the perfect balance of fantasy, fanta
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
4 ½ Stars

Loved it!!! I want more of this world Kate Johnson created.
Esme
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great book- can't remember the last time I found, bought and read a book so quickly- I finished it in less than a day and stayed up to finish it off! Addictive, fast and sweet. <3 ...more
sabrina caho
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: d-bl, read-2014

What a surprise, i knew nothing about this book!

Action packed, a little drama, a lot of action, cute romance, did i mention it has lots of action?

i loved it!

Abbi Saxby
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on this book from the first few pages. Very well written with likeable characters. Kael is my new bbf!
I really want this to continue into a series, it has so much promise!
Rita Stradling

Very dark and sad but also touching and beautiful. The book was very well written and I loved that the book came from the perspective of a blind protagonist.
Erica
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hurray for giving books a chance! I actually enjoyed this one.
Rebekah Gonzalez
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I decided to veer away from the realm of Young Adult fiction because most of the audiobooks I want to listen to are on hold. I browsed around for awhile and landed on this audiobook, which was immediately available through my library. I checked it out with low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised from the very first chapter. The performer was very engaging, and I was immediately sucked into the story of Ishtaer and Kael.

Ishtaer was an interesting character. She had a lot of depth and her
Vickie
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just WOW. I could not put this book down. It has been a while since I read a fresh new story that made me like the heroine and agree with her choices. There were times I laughed, cried and even sniggered. And although I do not usually enjoy books that deal with rape and abuse, the way it was woven in to the storyline did not seem to intrude (too much). I loved this familiar yet foreign world where there are ships and pirates and elevators and magic without being steampunk. Hope we see this ...more
xta wtf
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was beautiful.
a very great read. i loved it every dingle part of it. although i would have loved to see mire of thier life after he propsed , but this will suffice, atleast they get a happy ending.
this book is not recommending for oeople who dont like to wait long to see some action from the couple, but in this book the timing was very right. i am also not a fan of waiting last minute to see some hot action, because it is frustrating as fuck!
this book was an exception. the timig was just rig
Sumukh
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice and short, more of a novella than a full blown novel. Has covered all areas really well, a good plotline, great characterisation where you feel invested in the characters, a topnotch story with a decent worldbuilding and a magic system as well. The emotional aspect and the connection between characters has been handled really well, at no time does the story slack and can definitely be finished in a single session.
Overall one of the best books i have read in the genre so far. Definitely look
« previous 1 3 next »

• Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • The Mark of the Tala (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • Warprize  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)
  • Master of Crows (Master of Crows, #1)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
  • Entreat Me
  • No Man Can Tame (The Dark-Elves of Nightbloom, #1)
  • Reluctant Concubine (Hardstorm Saga, #1)
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • Lonen's War (Sorcerous Moons, #1)
  • The Cruel Fae King (The Cursed Kingdoms #1)
  • Fortune Favors the Cruel (Dark Maji, #1)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)
  • Star of the Morning (Nine Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
Kate Johnson lives in rural Essex where she belongs to a pride of cats and puts up with a demon puppy. She did actually do most of her homework, but quickly so as to have more time to stare out of the window thinking about heroes. Stay in school, kids. Kate has done a variety of not-particularly great jobs, ranging from airport check-in to lab assistant, but much prefers writing for a living. For ...more