Start by marking “Bosnian Flat Dog” as Want to Read:
Bosnian Flat Dog

Bosnian Flat Dog

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The result of a collaboration between two of Sweden's most internationally-renowned cartoonists, 'Bosnian Flat Dog' mixes real events, such as the bombings of Serbia, with outrageous and fantastic elements of the dream world, including zombies and mummies.
Published October 1st 2006 by Fantagraphics Books (first published January 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bosnian Flat Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bosnian Flat Dog

Mariel
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: how many licks does it take to get to the center of your universe?
Recommended to Mariel by: severed heads of civil war
Ice cream, you scream, we scream, they scream and we all scream for ice cream. Your throat hurts from all of that screaming? We got what you need. The unmarked bills will spoon feed your raw throat with thirty nine flavors of this war has no end. My nieces always want the rainbow cream flavor even though it's dank every single time. Maybe this time will be different. It's after the 1999 bombing of Serbia if that helps put together the humpty dumpty crumbling walls together again. Would it help m ...more
Lockpick
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Byl bych skoro nakloněn tomu, ohodnotit to plným počtem. Anderssonův snový divnosvět s depresivní kresbou si mě získal už při mém prvním setkáním s Pixy před lety. Jeho příběhy jsou svým způsobem jaksi znepokojivé, ale zároveň zábavné svou neskutečnou absurditou a iracionalitou, protože Max si prostě s něčím jako je linearita nebo konsekvence hlavu neláme. Proto si může dovolit psát o genetických modifikacích na Balkáně, plnění zmrzlin do patron od granátů nebo přechovávání diktátora v mrazáku. ...more
Aishe
Bizarre and surreal. But sometimes even truth is stranger than fiction. It was a good start to reading about something that happened when I was still in elementary school. It a bridge towards tackling a difficult moment in history. The thing to remember that the moment is far from past, it is still in the making.
Dustin
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: refridgerated former heads-of-state, ice cream enthusiasts
Muslim widows genetically engineer American soldiers to be ice-cream prostitutes using the rotting leg of Josip Tito's mummy. If I could make stuff like this up, I would be rich. Or Swedish. The swedes say that this book is based on true events. Balkanization. Ice cream grenades. This was a gift from my Aunt, and as such makes her a stranger, more absurd person to me.
Aimee
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Bizarre and graphic tale of a capriciously undertaken road trip through Bosnia. The weirdly humorous story serves as a strong contrast to the horrors in the book. The unreal feel of their journey serves to make me feel the strangeness of the living situation for those actually living in Bosnia at that time.
Jj Burch
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I finished it, but I didn't understand it. While the authors provided a glossary in the back, I would have liked a more detailed history of the Bosnian war. This book, instead gave me an absurdist view which perhaps I would have found endearing if I was more familiar with the situation.
Margot
Andersson and Sjunnesson insert themselves into this black and white (with lots of black) Swedish comic-book version of Road Trip movies through the war-torn land of the Balkans. Surreal plot sequences underline the inequalities across the broader European experience.
Erik
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-other
Really bizarre in a good way, but overall just ok. While it starts out with a pretty engaging premise and keeps getting more surreal as it goes, it just sort of stops in the middle of the story.
Joe
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Bizarre, compelling, awesome.
John
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mylibrary
Sticks with me (and way ahead on the Zombies).

The flat dogs and triangular heads. Anderrson is definitely on his own strange trip. Glad he wrote about it; glad I'm not on it.

Nicole
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I give it 2 because it was somewhat engaging, but mostly I was disappointed. I wasn't sure what was truth or fiction, and I was looking to learn a bit about Bosnian history.
Kelsey
Roman Krmášek
Jan 23, 2016
M
May 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Amazing style in the drawings, nearly absurd rendition of war, peppered with black humour.
Myrrhiam