Start by marking “And Then I Had Kids: Encouragement for Mothers of Young Children” as Want to Read:
And Then I Had Kids: Encouragement for Mothers of Young Children

And Then I Had Kids: Encouragement for Mothers of Young Children

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Susan Alexander Yates is an author who has truly -been there.- When her twin daughters were born, they joined siblings ages two, four, and seven. Through the challenges of raising those five young children, Susan realized the need for an honest, practical book that helps parents through that time of life.
This new edition of the best-selling And Then I Had Kids contains g
Published April 1st 2002 by Baker Books (first published December 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about And Then I Had Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Then I Had Kids

Rebekah
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-on-kindle
solid. practical. wise. a spiritually grounding book for this hard-on-herself mama.
Cole Ramirez
Sound advice from a mom of 5 (including her own set of twins, which now always peaks my interest).

My favorite part of this book might have been the last chapter, which quickly covered what a JOY it can be to have a houseful of teenagers when the proper foundation for correct priorities and effective discipline were laid in the early years. There's a lot of gloom and doom surrounding the teenage years, so I found it extraordinarily relieving to hear that it does NOT have to be the case!

None of th
Amber Kuntz
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked it, but kept stopping and then coming back to it later. I heard her speak at a Weekend to Remember event and I think that helped as I had heard some of the stories in her book from Susan herself. she is a great speaker and I highly recommend listening to her speak if you get the chance.
Michele
I found her encouragement to be very helpful. I was also surprised in that I appreciated her words from scripture. Usually when I read Christian books, all they do us harp decision theology and go on and on about everything YOU have to do for Christ. This author focused on what God does for us in Christ (forgiving, loving, etc) no matter how well we do as a parent.

I disliked her section on discipline because she is a big proponent of spanking and even suggests that any other method is insuffici
Brittany
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Kind of surprised it doesn't have a higher rating on GoodReads. The author offers practical and godly advice for moms of young children. I appreciate her honesty, humility and passion for the Lord. Parenting isn't easy and we will never be able to parent perfectly or have perfect kids, but God is faithful. There is a lot of joy to be found if our eyes focused on the Lord and our hearts are trusting in his promises. I highly recommend this book to all Moms. I definitely will refe ...more
Melanie
I recommend this book to any mother who has young children. It is full of encouragement. I picked this up at my church library, and from the first page, everything was just so true. It really offered a lot of encouragement to know that as a young mother there are so many others facing the same struggles. It is really geared toward stay at home moms, with a few little nuggets for working moms. But it's helpful and a good resource!
Leah
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think I have read this book three or four times already and I still reading the author's insights. This one is really helpful and refreshing as well as inspiring for all the moms out there, especially those with young kids. I hihgly recommend this!
Kris
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just picked up this book last night and so far have read 3 chapters and LOVE it. The author thoroughly describes the difficulties of raising small children from the perspective of a stay-at-home mom and the unique challenges it poses.
Cynthia
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-ten-list
awesome book for mothers and all parents of young children - wise words

I used this for a group of young mothers - we read together and discussed

I think all learned from this book and will use what they learned to their advantage
Molly
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I've only managed to read the first two chapters, because, well, I have kids. But, so far, so good.
Allison
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
It really was probably better than I'm rating it, but although I finished it, I never got into it, didn't get much out of it, it didn't make me think and it wasn't entertaining.
Heather
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
Her first few chapters and final one I found to be most relevant and helpful to this particular stage of parenting twin two-year-olds and all the adjustments of becoming a mom.
Hilary
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Helps to realize other mothers are struggling with the same things.
Maryvimalaa
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
one of favorites. love it (and her) because she is real and talks openly about the ups and downs of being a mom. its been an encouragement to me on this journey of motherhood.
Lobug
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I so recommend this for all mothers of young children. So very very good!
Faith Repp
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure about this book at first but so glad I read it. Has practical examples of real life situations and how to deal with each situation through Christ Jesus/Christian home.
Jocelyn
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
didn't finish, boring
Debbie Gibbs
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great encouragement to me when I was a new young mom. Lots of humor!! Refreshing....
Dawn
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I had a toddler then later when my children were 11 and 8. I could really relate with the author and loved the biblical references. This book is an encouragement to mothers.
Beth
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Excellent!!
Carol Nain
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am now going to re-read this one and then read the one and Then I had Teenagers. I need all the help I can get!
Nicole
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very funny -- mostly because I've had the same experiences
April
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think every mom should read this one.
Lexi Muhlenbeck
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I'm liking this book. It's like my thoughts and feelings are right in the words the author writes!
Sara
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very validating. You can skim over the parts with the religious undertone very easily. Everything she rights about is amazingly true, and it has a comical spin as well.
Beth
  • Born to Win: Keeping Your Firstborn Edge without Losing Your Balance
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-to-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • The Hour That Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal
  • Hope For The Weary Mom
  • Hints on Child Training: A Book That's Been Helping Parents Like Your...for More Than 100 Years
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More (Everything Series)
  • Hide or Seek
  • Don't Make Me Come Up There!: Quiet Moments for Busy Moms
  • The Successful Child: What Parents Can Do to Help Kids Turn Out Well
  • Be the Leader You Were Meant to Be: Lessons On Leadership from the Bible
  • The Mommy Diaries: Finding Yourself in the Daily Adventure
  • Ancient Fire (Danger Boy, #1)
  • Children With Starving Brains: A Medical Treatment Guide for Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • A Cup of Comfort Women of the Bible Devotional: Daily Reflections Inspired by Scripture's Most Beloved Heroines