Start by marking “Not Every Princess” as Want to Read:

A Top Ten Title, 2015 American Library Association Rainbow List

Who do you want to be: a princess? Pirate? Teacher or scientist?
And where would you like to play: a castle? Pirate ship? Library or spacelab?
It's your decision to make, so think away. Your imagination and thoughts can create pictures and scenes, the most beautiful amazing picturesque dreams!

Not Every Princess
Published May 5th 2014 by Magination Press (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Not Every Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Every Princess

Kaley
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece
This book is so vital to have on your shelf or classroom! It breaks gender stereotypes, and lets children know that it is perfectly normal to go against them and be who you really are. It encourages its readers to be who they want to be and it has an important message to be fearless. Which is important because you must teach your students to be risk takers, because they never know what will happen unless they try. It as well encourages the reader to imagine what they could be, against everyone e ...more
Heidi Pepin
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the concept and the pictures are beautiful. The story itself is great, teaching all of us not to be limited by gender or what you could do, but to dream big and outside the box and decide what you can do with yourself and your aspirations. The story itself though definitely needs some parental input - my 5 year old liked the story but needed me to help explain what the intention of the story is and that it means that you can be whatever you want without boundaries or limitations of any ki ...more
Carol Jen
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great little poem with really beautiful illustrations... a gentle look at gender roles and also the power of imagination. Could be good for a storytime about art, creativity, imagination, what we want to be... etc.
Σάρα Παπαδάκη
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and meaningful. Every parent should read this story to their children
Jessica Pinkman
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary
Not Every Princess is a short sweet book that covers different activities that young readers may enjoy. It has a hidden message set against roles set up by society that aren't always seen as true. Read to your younger students to send the message that it's okay for little boys to like dress up or playing with dolls or dancing, and its okay for little girls to play football, climb trees, and get their hands dirty. As long as you're happy and using your imagination, that's all that matters.
Laura De
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life-stories
Awards: Rainbow Project Book List 2015

Grade Levels: Pre-K to 3rd

Original Summary: This was a book about all the different types of people there are in the world. It talks about the importance it is to also be yourself. Others should not influence this part of you.

Original Review: This is the perfect book to teach children that it is ok to be themselves. They should never let other influence any part of them. Being unique is the best thing there is.

In-Class Uses: Teachers can have children dra
JordanD
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
This book would be wonderful for kids Kindergarten through Third Grade. This book opens the door for students to imagine themselves becoming whatever their hearts desire is. It gives students the idea that they do not need to become something that is gender fitting when they get older, they can be and work wherever they want. It overcomes gender inequality or stereotypes and shows students their possibilities are endless. I would love to use this book before my students do a writing assignment c ...more
Mary Ann
Sweet and imaginative story, with an excellent author’s note. I especially appreciate how this book is not didactic but leaves room for children to imagine the world, the roles they want to play.

In their authors’ note to parents and caregivers, they write, “The purpose of this book is to help children envision lives for themselves beyond stereotypical gender roles and expectations. Although your children are not settling on career paths before even starting preschool, encourage them as early as
Xaviera Hanif
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for young children who want to act different than their "specific gender." It teaches kids that they can be anybody they want to be, they can do any type of activity they want, and no matter what they pick they should be able to do it freely without being judged! The illustrations are great and pictures in children's book are a very big part of keeping a child's attention! I highly recommend this to all parents to purchase this for some books at home and also teachers should h ...more
AgnesO
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Not every princess lives in a castle. Not every fairy has wings.”

This imaginative and inspirational book allows the reader to envision a reality that can reach beyond the restraints of gender-stereotypical expectations. The authors create an original poem which depicts diversity through the unconventional adventures of different characters. This is a great read-aloud choice for grades K-3 with a powerful theme of moving beyond stereotypes and stipulated gender roles.

Agnes
Children's Literature Centre at FSU
This book challenges stereotypes and gender roles. The pictures and poetic words complement each other beautifully—for example, one page says, “…not every bird sings” and shows a picture of girls playing soccer, as if implying that not every girl sings—some play soccer! The pictures are light and bright, and the words flow gently off the tongue, allowing for limitless imagination of what a child could do and be.
Review by Michaela George
Nicola
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Not every pirate sails a ship - some sail the skies on kites.
Not every superhero flies through the sky - some climb ladders to rescue kittens.
Not every knight slays dragons - some tame them and make friends.

Rhyming text and imaginative pictures; the book features both genders and encourages them to use their imagination, discover their strengths, and look beyond typical gender stereotypes or literary tropes.
Camille Andrews
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gender-role
Not Every Princess is a very colorful book and great book for children to read. The pages are so vivid with the pictures and also the text makes the child reading/listening to the book picture themselves as a character in the book. I love how the book allows the children to think outside the box and doesn’t limit the activities the children can do based off their genders.
Carlie Raybuck
This a perfect book for a classroom library. It talks about gender stereotypes and teaches children its okay to be who you want to be. As a future teacher, I want to teach my students to be risk takers and its okay to be whoever you want to be and not be told who to be. Whether a girl wants to be a football player or a boy wants to be a ballet dancer. It does not matter!
Angie Munoz
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
WOW, amazing book! It breaks stereotypes and teaches students that it is okay to go against norms. Loved it.
Debbie Tanner
This one is meant to help kids think outside gender stereotypes.
Kenson and kirra
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
it wasn't bad for a girl book
Tess Armel
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book to use to emphasize that all people, but especially girls can be anything they want to be. Students can try on different personas to see what fits.
Amanda Hughes
An essential book for home or the classroom! This is a great story that gently introduces gender roles and stereotypes, with the underlying message that we don't have to conform to them.
BreAnna (Bre'sBooks)
Earl
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Sweet rhyming text to turn gender stereotypes on their heads. What I liked most was the backmatter material for adults to initiate or further discussions about this subject.
Savina Esparza
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Not every Princess" is a traditional children literature book that tells the story of a girl who wants to be different things such as a princess, and a pirate. Then, the story continues and gives examples of the different things that she likes to do besides swinging and swimming like mermaids. She loves to play soccer and also travel by boat. These are examples of things boys would do. The story has very dream-like and colorful pictures that makes the story imaginative. This story can be read t ...more
Kylie
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not Every Princess is a fantasy book that depicts some of the many imaginative play ideas that children may enjoy. I found this book to be really strong for showing that stereotypes don’t always fit every person that identifies with something. Don’t be deceived by the princess title, there are pirates, dancers, knights, and so much more. This book is not an in your face fight against gender norms, but a really strong text that gets the message across that a child can be whatever they’d like to b ...more
Alicia Tavernier
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 12x-favorites
This is a wonderfully illustrated book, as well as it teaches children to be who they want to be. This book is more poetic but it speaks about gender roles and expectations. This book would be a good read for early elementary. With rhyming, it encourages children to be who they want to be and have their imagination determine their future. I gave this book 5 stars out of 5 stars because of the illustrations and the lesson it gives.
Marquez Harris
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-text-set
This book explores the gender roles and stereotypes associated with gender roles by introducing characters that indirectly say that anyone can do whatever they want to do. The book investigates various scenarios and offer different possibilities of what a child can choose to be.

This being a fiction book that challenges gender roles I believed that it would make students question or think about how society categorizes multiple aspects of life as either female or male related. To be more specific,
orangerful
A beautiful and sweet book with a subtle message that you can be whatever you want to be, that being a boy or a girl shouldn't limit your imagination and your dreams. It was a cute little poem and by including the word "princess" in the title this book is sure to get into the hands of many little girls.

I like that the message isn't in your face because for most kids (at least we hope) the idea of NOT being able to be something because of their gender should be ridiculous. To quote Sarah Silverma
Kate Puleo Unger
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
The illustrations in this book were so whimsical and lovely. The text attempts to challenge gender norms. It didn't make a huge impression on either Christopher nor me. It also has a good message about creativity that I enjoyed.

Ages 3-8

Mackenzi Brozovich
I absolutely loved this picturebook! It is a rhyming book about all of the things you can be, however it talks about how you don't have to align with the stereotypes associated with everything. Individuality comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors. It shows that you can be yourself in unconventional ways just by being yourself, opening your mind, and using your imagination. The illustrations are gorgeous and allow the reader to see just what the poem is trying to do with its message. I cannot say ...more
LaToya Hixon
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-selection
This is a great book to read to your students if you want to express their imagination. The title of this book really tells it all in the story. NOT EVERY!! This book breaks all types of stereotypes that children think are true. I read this story to my niece and nephew. They both yelled every time I said "not every". They thought everything was true and they both are eight. But when I was done they then understood. This is great book to read to young children. The author did a great job on this ...more
Callie Rose Tyler
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is absolutely lovely with fantastic illustrations and sweet poetic writing. It is very simple and shows a wide variety of boys and girls playing.

Apparently this book is meant to break stereotypes, there is a note at the back for parents and caregivers about gender roles, but I didn't really walk away with that message. The gender aspect is subtle, but is so understated that the message is lost? I'm not sure. One thing is certain, it promotes imagination and endless possibilities.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »