Start by marking “The Murderer's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Murderer's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #6)

The Murderer's Tale (Sister Frevisse #6)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  569 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Leaving St. Frideswide to visit Minster Lovell was a welcome respite for Sister Frevisse--until murder visited the quiet manor. And though much of the household suspected a guest who was prone to violent fits, Frevisse knew too much about murder to be easily fooled.
Published August 1st 1996 by Berkley Prime Crime

To ask other readers questions about The Murderer's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murderer's Tale

Diana Sandberg
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven’t actually read this one in English, but found it pretty comfortable going in French. Still needed to take lots of notes, but the story pulled me along nicely. There was one place where I just had to pity the translator – a plot element rested on the evildoer overhearing a conversation and, because of his guilty knowledge, misinterpreting the spoken word “soul” for “sole”, which precipitated him into actions that eventually brought him down. Unfortunately, there's just no way to convey thi ...more
Kathy Davie
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, history
Sixth in the Sister Frevisse medieval mystery series revolving around a nun who solves crimes.

My Take
This was a bit Agatha Christie hearkens back and centers around a truly evil person. Frazer writes this person so well that you understand how inherently evil he is and how well he covers it up so the average person doesn't see it. Just not well enough. It's mindblowing how Giles can twist and turn absolutely anything to the bad. The way he treats Edeyn is just appalling. I read this in a constan
Catherine  Mustread
I love the time period, setting and characters in this series, but so far only #3, The Outlaw's Tale, about Dame Frevisse's cousin, and #2, The Servant's Tale with it's connection to Frazer's other, newer and faster-paced series, Joliffe the Player; have I found worthy of more than 3*.  The pace of the mystery often evolves more slowly than I would wish.

The Murderer in this book is the protagonist and thus the reader learns his motive and intentions early in the book, so the mystery becomes how
An English mystery in the 1400's. I ended up liking this book although I didn't like it at first. There was actually a plot to the story, unlike so many mysteries, and you actually get a feel for the characters and care about the outcome for them. That being said, it took the author forever to get to the murder you knew was coming. It would have been better not to read the back cover so you didn't know part of the story. If a mystery authors have plots in their stories, it is going to take longe ...more
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was one of those books that, while interesting, simply didn’t beg me to read it. I kept finding better things to do. The bit about the demon was an interesting example of the fifteenth century diagnosis of epilepsy. Frazer departed from her usual whodunit style by telling us Giles was the bad guy right from the beginning. I thought it refreshing to know more than the amateur sleuth for once.
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
When the longtime Prioress of St. Frideswide dies and Sister Frevisse has trouble adjusting to the new prioress, she is happy to accompany Dame Clair on a pilgrimage. The new Prioress gives them a commission to fulfill while they are away and a murder occurs at the usually quiet, happy manor where they visit.
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a favorite of mine in this medieval mystery series, because although we know who the bad guy is quite early on, we don't know how he's going to try to get his way or how he may be caught. The characterizations of the supporting characters and the insights into the medieval view of the "falling sickness" (epilepsy) add a lot of interest. Highly recommended.
Mostly worth reading for the exploration of medieval approaches to epilepsy, the book also looks at marriage laws and customs in more detail. The unusual device of telling the story from a murderers point of view provides a nice counterpoint to the rest of the series.
Laura Edwards
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I knew it! That horrible Dame Alys was voted prioress. All because most of the nuns (Frevisse, Claire and Thomasine, notwithstanding) were foolish enough to vote for her. Well, they will reap what they sow, only too bad the others have to suffer for their foolishness. In this book, Dame Frevisse is more ill-tempered than usual as a direct result of Dame Alys' elevation to prioress and one can hardly blame her.

So it was with great relief most of the book was spent away from St. Frideswide and Al
Susan Meyer
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tense, not a walking tale, Warning....May be a spoiler or two, read carefully

A new prioress has been elected after beloved Domina Edith died, but not everyone is happy. Dame Claire and Sister Frevisse have an on going history with the newly elected Domina Alys, and with good cause. Domina Alys is as easy to get along with as a rabid dog, but as Benedictines, all are supposed to try to bend to the Rule.
When both Claire and Frevisse confess in Chapter to failing in several areas and breaking the
Andrew Doohan
Another wonderful murder mystery from the pen of Margaret Frazer featuring our protagonist of record, Dame Frevisse. Although we normally see Frevisse and her sisters in the setting of their Benedictine house, this time we accompany Frevisse and one of her sisters on a pilgrimage. It is during this pilgrimage, while being extended the hospitality of one of the manor houses they pass by while on pilgrimage.

It is during this stop that Frevisse, her sister, and the entire household are drawn into m
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
3/8 18
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Things are not all they should be at St. Frideswide convent. Domina Edith is dead, replaced by the loud, ambitious and difficult Domina Alys. Sister Frevisse is far more quick witted than the average nun at St. Frideswide and often, to her shame, less than diplomatic in speech when it comes to her new superior. She chafes under Alys' rule and is glad to escape on an errand to Minster Lovell, with her friend Dame Claire, to sort out a property dispute with Lord Lovell.

Along the way, they meet up
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So very glad that Margaret (Gail) Frazer's children have continued to market her books after her death. She was my very very favorite author and the first Medieval Mysteries I read. Her history and her managing both time and place were the very best. No one else comes close to her.

A very few of her books were not in print earlier, although she did try to make them available. Kindle has helped that effort. Please check them out!!

The Murderer's Tale was one of the best ones and I am happy that I
In this first book since Dame Edith's death, we find Frevisse and Claire quite unhappy with the new conditions. Dame Alys is abbess and is lax and mean at times. Claire and Frevisse are on pilgrimage to make penance for this and are stopped at a local lord's home on abbey business. A young lordling is epileptic aka seized by the demon when his steward is killed. Lionel is blamed, but Frevisse is not so sure and of course can't help but pry. We see the murder in this one as is fitting given the t ...more
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Sister Frevisse tales are for those that can enjoy a good tale in which the character's sensibilities don't necessarily sit easily with our modern sensibilities. The author does a good job in trying to capture the cultural attitudes of late medieval England while still engaging the reader in a good story. In this volume, Sister Frevisse and her companion venture forth from the convent in penance. Along the way, they journey with a young lord who suffers from demon possession (grand mal epile ...more
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
As all the other Dame Frevisse novels, this one is a sure-bet. The setting is outside St. Frideswide's Nunnery, in the town of Minster Lovell, where Dame Claire and Dame Frevisse have traveled and are taking a few days rest. As the reader would expect, the two nuns have met some fine travelers along the way, and as one would expect, one of the travelers is murdered in the Chapel of the Manor House of Minster Lovell!

The twist this time is that the reader KNOWS who the murderer is, and we read alo
Sandra Strange
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a superior medieval series, each novel set in a specific time period, often with action concerning the political doings of the time. Each novel also explores the world of the particular tale, in this case, the world of really nasty rich man out to hurry along a death which will benefit him. I don't like this mystery as well as the others I have read because the perpetrator is so awful and makes life miserable for many around him as the nun protagonist must puzzle out how to prove his gui ...more
Jul 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
The writing of this one was uneven; the overall impression very poor. Had I not read another from this series I would have tossed it and any thought of reading further. Curious, I researched and found that this author died Feb 2013 and her first 7 or so books in the series had been a collaboration between two authors in Minnesota. Now I will have to read reviews prior to selecting another. I think it was Widow's Tale I read previously and thought was ok - better, more complex and written better?
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love all of Margaret Frazer's mysteries -- they're like Cadfael but three hundred years later and for grown-ups. I am rereading all of the Sister Frevisse ones in order (and then I will do the Joliffe ones)... but I just found out from Wikipedia that the author DIED a month ago. Boo. I hate when beloved authors die. I wasn't done enjoying the world she created so well, sigh.
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book deviated from the pattern of the other books in that you know the identity of the murderer and, in fact, are privy to the planning and execution of the murder. The suspense comes in finding out how the wrong suspect will be exonerated, and the right one caught. There is not much question that everything will be neatly sewed up in the end but as to how...
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
If you are a fan of medieval English history, this will be the series for you. Sister Frevisse deals efficiently and effectively with murder when it invades her nunnery and its environs. This is number six in the series.
A part of Sister Frevisse's medieval mystery series. On a pilgrimage to Oxford Sister Frevisse manages to solve a case of murder allegedly committed by a demon-possessed (suffering from epilepsy) man.
Neil Williams
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Better than the earlier ones. Makes an attempt to get inside the murderer's head and, for the most part succeeds in showing why he acts the way that he does. Less a whodunnit than a whydunnit.
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Dame Frevisse pretty much has my personality. It's humbling. It's not an easy personality.
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read these books some time ago. I enjoyed the mix of historical fiction and mystery.
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Dame Frevisse #6 epilepsy
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for:;
Delightful. Simply delightful. I liked the narrative. I liked how sister frevisse discussed her "shortcomings." I liked the medieval setting of the book. I can't wait to read more.
Katie Bee
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books-read
Interesting POV and characters. Well done.
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • The White Rose Murders (Sir Roger Shallot, #1)
  • The Weaver's Tale (Roger the Chapman, #3)
  • A Tournament of Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #3)
  • Girl in a Red Tunic (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #8)
  • A Maze of Murders (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #6)
  • Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3)
  • Covenant with Hell  (Medieval Mystery, #10)
  • A Season of Knives (Sir Robert Carey, #2)
Margaret Frazer is a pen name used at first by Mary Monica Pulver Kuhfeld and Gail Lynn Frazer writing in tandem for a series of historical medieval mysteries featuring Dame Frevisse. After the sixth novel, the works are written by Gail Frazer alone, and the name has subsequently been used exclusively by her. A second series of novels by Ms Frazer set in the same time and place feature the player/ ...more
More about Margaret Frazer...

Sister Frevisse (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Novice's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #1)
  • The Servant's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #2)
  • The Outlaw's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #3)
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • The Boy's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #5)
  • The Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse, #7)
  • The Maiden's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #8)
  • The Reeve's Tale (Sister Frevisse #9)
  • The Squire's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #10)
  • The Clerk's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #11)