Start by marking “Christmas Spurs” as Want to Read:
Christmas Spurs

Christmas Spurs

When you're a big brother you don't cry, no matter how scared you are. And I'm scared. My little brother, Jimmy, is sick. All I want for Christmas is for him to get well. Santa seems to be listening when we get Buck, the best horse ever! I get spurs, and Jimmy gets a new cowboy hat, a real Stetson. He's so happy it almost makes us forget... until Jimmy's in the hospital ag ...more
Hardcover
Published December 1st 1991 by Turtleback Books (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Spurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Spurs

Start your review of Christmas Spurs
Stephanie Manning
I read this book in elementary school and fell in love with it. As an adult, I read it again and it was just as good as I remembered. Great book for any time of the year, not just Christmas. But be prepared to cry...
Leta Blake
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 9yo says, "Heart touching."
D.j. Anderson
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one back in middle school when I was going through a Bill Wallace phase. This is the only book to make me physically cry. A wonderful read.
Haley
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jada always picks things to make people cry.
Mandy
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one will make you cry! Especially during Christmas or whenever you decide to read it. #tearjerker
Mackenzie Washburn
This is one of my favorite books,i recomend it to anyone who likes sad books. i've read it 3 times and everytime I almost cry!It's about 2 brothers,the little brother has Lluekemia and is dying and said by the older brother "big brothers don't cry when they are scared".When cristmas comes around the older brother gets a really nice pair of spurs and he knowing his brother is dying lets him play with them while the 2 are playing cowboys and indians.But when they go inside he notices his brother i ...more
Summer
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never has a book stayed with me to this day, quite like this one. It had this profound effect on me, that just sorta stayed. I must of only been a pre-teen when I first read this. Being in my twenties, I can still remember that overwhelming feeling this book gave me - even after so many years. The author was able to just bring my whole mind into this character's world.
Susan
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a wonderful, touching, inspiring book for children and adults about a young boy (age 5) who has leukemia and how his family, especially his older brother, copes with the illness. It's only 121 pages. So it only takes a couple of hours for a slow reader like me to read. However, be prepared to cry. I really liked the ending.
Angee6161981
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the first books i remember reading when i was younger. Really makes you think about what you have and what it would mean to lose those that you never thought you would have to live without. Awesome!
Edward Creter
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nick loves his brother Jimmy to death...only death is closer than he thinks. Jimmy has leukemia, and he and Nick just now got a beautiful horse for Christmas. Soon Nick will learn to live and let go, knowing he still has the love of a brother, even in death. A beautiful Christmas tale.
Kaitlyn
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What can I say without giving anything away? I read it four years ago so I don't remember all that much. Just random bits like how the dad cut the grass so much he was cutting dirt instead. I remember sadness and happiness. But I think it's a good book that I would recommend to people.
B
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was maybe 8 or 9, and no other book has ever stayed with me emotionally for this long. Over the last few years, I've been trying to get ahold of it to read it again. I'm very interested to see if its as good as I remember.
Javon
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is sad and good at the same time i really like this book
Mary Tippens
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute favorite book to read to my class during the holidays. Rarely make it without tears.
Seth
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was extremely good. Nick loves his brother Jimmy to death. his brother jimmy has leukemia and has to go to the doctor a lot will jimmy die of leukemia or survive
Samuel Moses
Leanne
Mar 30, 2011
Ash
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved to read this when I was younger, it was my favorite book ever.
Claudia
Oct 29, 2011
Leon Kao
Mar 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bill Wallace was an American teacher and later an author of children's books. He started writing to quiet down his fourth grade students, who loved his stories and encouraged him to make “real” books.

Bill Wallace grew up in Oklahoma. Along with riding their horses, he and his friends enjoyed campouts and fishing trips. Toasting marshmallows, telling ghost stories to scare one another,