Start by marking “Country Angel Christmas” as Want to Read:
Country Angel Christmas

Country Angel Christmas

Ari, Pip, and Kira are the first to hear the news! St. Nicholas wants the Country Angels to plan the Christmas celebration for all of Heaven. They can't wait to get started.

But the three littlest angels haven't bargained on being told to stay out of the way when they offer to help the kitchen angels sift and bake, the barn angels groom the animals for the procession, or

Published October 5th 1995 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Country Angel Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Country Angel Christmas

Start your review of Country Angel Christmas
May 14, 2009 rated it liked it
While this story is slight fantasy (who knows what types of angels there are) the main message was sweet. And I just love Tomie's illustrations, the people are so adorable and lovable. I would recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Meg McGregor
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Little ones love to help! Lexi loves to help me with the laundry and the dishes, and putting away groceries, or straighening up her toys before I leave for the day!

But sometimes, people think they are too small to help, or that they will make a mess, or it wont' be as perfect as it could be - if little ones were to help!

This unique Christmas story, by one of my favorite authors and illustrators, lets everyone know, (even the angels in heaven), that you are never too little to help!
Luann
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it
The Country Angels have been chosen to make the Christmas celebration for all of Heaven. In the midst of all the preparations, Ari, Pip and Kira are told they are too young to help with anything. But with the help of St. Nicholas, their preparations save the Christmas celebration. This is a sweet Christmas story with Tomie dePaola's typically great illustrations.
Janet
Santa has chosen the country angels to plan the Christmas celebration, but Ari, Pip, Kira are considered by the other country angels to be to little to assist. Santa has a bright shining idea for the three littlest angels to prepare for the celebration. A sweet blend of the secular and religious Christmas stories.
Amy C.
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
Not my favorite Tomie de Paola, but all of my girls love it. Sweet story, and TdP's illustrations are always irresistible.
Karina
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This is a good story about how everyone can be useful and help in important ways even if it’s not obvious at first. It also features diversity: the angel names are not standard, commonplace; there are angels of various racial looks and even angels that look like animals with wings. I was stumbling over the names so that’s what I knocked the star off for.
The Country Angels are tasked with the Christmas celebration of the heavens. All the angels get busy doing their part, but the three littlest angels are not wanted in the kitchen, or the barn, or anywhere else. But Santa knows that even the littlest can help, and gives them an important job that all the other country angels overlooked.

A good message about how even the littlest can help.
Samuel
Jan 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Illustrations are not easy to follow with the story. Mixes Santa with heaven too much.
Hannah
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kind of odd Christmas story.
Luisa Knight
Nov 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ages: 4 - 7

Cleanliness: Has Santa Claus in the story.

#christmas
Chinook
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas, kids
It was a sweet story, but we are strictly secular Christmas people do I think we’ll pass it on to more religious friends next year.
Lynne
I always love Tomie dePaola's illustrations. And I usually love his stories. This one is so-so. I understand that there are many variations of Christmas customs and all…but Santa lives in heaven? I hadn't heard that one before. Not only that, but he lives there with all sorts of angels but never a mention of Jesus? (Okay, the last page has all of the characters kneeling in front of a well-lit door that could be a barn door I guess and reads, "Silent night, holy night. All is calm. All is ...more
Anne
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
If you thought explaining Santa Claus to your kids was confusing enough, try wrapping your head around a Christmas celebration in Heaven, a place that isn't any different from Earth except that there are no grown-ups and little kids have wings and God still isn't visible. Or maybe God is Santa Claus.
The pictures are gorgeous, though. Get this book for your three year old to enjoy the soft warm colors of leaf shaped trees, random animals, pink wings, stars, flowers, Santa dressed as a
Jill
Dec 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute book.

I found this in my Favorite Authors basket of my classroom library when I needed a quick read-aloud.

This was the story of some angels in heaven who are planning to decorate heaven for Christmas. The little baby angels keep trying to help out, but the regular size angels push them out of the way. In the end, they find a way to help.

Tomie dePaola's illustrations were charming as usual and the kids seemed to like the story. It wouldn't be appropriate for a public school
Taryn
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Growing up as an evangelical Protestant, I'm uncomfortable putting Jesus' story in with Santa Claus. However, as I contemplate Roman Catholicism, I'm learning to embrace mystery and the beauty of culture. Still, the Angels put me off and I didn't think it was a strong story. I love this author but he's done much better.
Dolly
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an unusual story about Christmas, from the perspective of angels. The narrative is sweet and offers the message that even the smallest among us can contribute big to the overall effort. The illustrations are classic Tomie dePaola and complement the story nicely.
Judy
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
So ... heaven must be made up of different "neighborhoods." This book celebrates the young angels who live in the country (on clouds complete with pastures, barns, and angel animals). And, they celebrate Christmas.
Haley Johnson
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book can be used for many inclusion topics. All of the children are of different ethnicity. They have unique names such as Ari and Pip. This book also speaks of angels which can be used with religious teachings.
Karen
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ellie, mom, jacob
Read for Christmas 12/24/15

Every year we have a collection of picture books we read for Christmas. Tomie dePaola books are some of our favorites..krb 12/14/16
Jo Oehrlein
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Kind of a Rudolf take-off?

Santa asks the Country Angels to put on the Christmas celebration this year. But no one wants the help of the 3 smallest until Santa gives them an idea.
Patricia
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
The angels in Heaven celebrate Christmas with St. Nicholas. It's a bit of an odd premise.
Kimberly
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love Tomie de Paola's illustrations so this book is a treat.
Mrspam4ever
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mrs-pams-favs
One of my favorites!
Jessie
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't find it very clear what was going on in this book until the end. (What does "making Christmas" mean, and for whom are the angels making it?)

Very, very similar to Rudolph.
Philip
Saccharin piece of shit...
Nancy

• Home for Christmas
  • The Baker's Dozen: A Colonial American Tale
  • We Three Kings
  • The Big Snow
  • Apples to Oregon: Being the (Slightly) True Narrative of How a Brave Pioneer Father Brought Apples, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Grapes, and Cherries (and Children) Across the Plains
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • An Orange for Frankie
  • We Were There: A Nativity Story
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • Christmas In The Country
  • Christmas in the Barn
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.