Start by marking “The Age of Great Dreams: America in the 1960s” as Want to Read:
The Age of Great Dreams: America in the 1960s

The Age of Great Dreams: America in the 1960s

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  177 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
In this book, David Farber grounds our understanding of the extraordinary history of the 1960s by linking the events of that era to our country's grand projects of previous decades. Farber's important study, based on years of research in archives and oral histories as well as in historical literature, explores Vietnam, the Civil Rights Act, the War on Poverty, the entertai ...more
Published April 1st 1994 by Hill and Wang

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Great Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Great Dreams

Emily Smith
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book!! Not only was it extremely informative, it wasn't dull and it really hit the nail on the head with a lot of the issues that were discussed. I wish I had David Farber as a professor!
Stephanie Macdonald
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book for my 1960's class in school. I have to say this book was actually quite pleasant and something I would have read in my own personal time. The way facts are presented are honest and fair, while also being written in such a way that makes learning fun! I like how the author didn't have a "hidden tone" that favored one side over the other as I have noticed in other educational books. This was an overall accurate and unbiased approach to understanding all the amazing things that t ...more
Kristina Cowan
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this my junior year of college. It should be required reading at all universities and colleges. The book sheds great light on all things 1960s, a decade of critical mass in the United States, and beyond.
Sandra Ross
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best big-picture books I've read about the earthquake-like series of events that coalesced in the 1960's to foment the world and culture we live in today. When you're able to back out from the trees and see the forest, it's easy to see how we got from there to here, because all the seeds of the world we live in now were planted then.

My only issue is with the title of the book. I don't see great dreams in the 1960's.

I see naive idealism that clashed with default human nature and was d
Craig Werner
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, sixties
Decent synthetic history of the 1960s in the U.S., moving from the nuclear shadows and rising consumerism of the early decade through the rising energy of the Civil Rights Movement and Great Society to the tragic impact of Vietnam, the chaos of the riots, and the rise of Nixon, speaking in the name of a silent majority willing to vote against its own economic interests. It's probably conceptually impossible to do justice to all of the cross-currents and complexities, but for the most part Farber ...more
Mike Anastasia
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a student of Dr. Farber at Temple University, I can say that this book goes best with the lectures he meant to have accompanying it. His oratory skills are actually breathtaking and his knowledge of this period leads to me believe that he fully enjoyed the free love movements of the late 1960s.

The late 60s are a difficult period to write about because almost every book of history focuses on the strictly political events that occurred during the presidencies of Johnson and Nixon, but this boo
Christine Murdock
I liked reading this book. It is a fairly good American history book. The author remains unbias, just presents all the known facts and perhaps why certain choices were made. I gained a new appriecation for people who survived the 1960s. I had a lot of fun piecing events together and learning certain tid bits. Overall the 1960s was a very eventful decade... full of romance, tragedy, grand achievements, violence and non-violent protests. I enjoyed learning more about many of the well known people ...more
David
Mar 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who think LBJ was a bad president
This book was part of a History class and it wonderful. You can read it like a novel and there is so much info in it about all aspects of the 60s and how it shaped american thinking. I esspecialy liked how Farber take a no spin look at Kennedy and LBJ. I had a similar view towards LBJ as most Americans do, he was a gun toten Texan. But in fact, LBJ got a lot done and if he was here now we would be thanking god for such an amazing President.
Stephanie Macdonald
I read this book for my Social Science's class. I must say it wasn't too badly written. SImple English both informative and help my attention. It could have been much worse, but it could have also been better. Some parts where incredibly drawn out and I wish it would just get to the point faster. But other than that, overall, nicely put together.
Tanya
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5-hardcover
I read this book for a class I was taking. I thought the professor was brilliant for picking it out. It brings you all through the 60's and gave me a sincere appreciation and valuable insight into those times and how they truly affected the way we live now.
Lisa Salinas
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
We used this as a textbook for one of my classes. It was enlightening and I really enjoyed it, but once class started, I stopped reading it straight through and focused on the homework instead. I kept meaning to finish it, but never did.
Misty Turner
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. As a person who was born after this period, it was really amazing to read about and attempt to gain a mental picture of what life was like during the 1960's. Though this reading started out as a textbook for a class I will be back to read it again on a more personal level.
Irene
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Politically a bit too centrist for my taste, and often a bit repetitive, but still good.
Steve
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Perceptive and clear contextual history. Recommended, especially for the curious about the decade who haven't read dozens of books about it.
Nicole
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book for pleasure so I skipped a lot of it but I can tell you, I would've much preferred to have read this in my history classes than the typical textbook.
Sue
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This is a great overview to the sixties.
James
Dec 30, 2009 added it
goes over civil rights movements for blacks (naacp, sncc...), women, students & free speech, gays and so on. also covers vietnam and the counter culture of the 60s
Dan
Jul 14, 2008 rated it liked it
ok, nonfiction stuff about the 60s
Lauren Albert
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a good very basic introduction to the period. But it is very much for someone who hasn't read anything about the sixties before, and certainly for someone who didn't live through it!
Sue Campbell
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
An overview of the 1960's. Not much new material for me but interesting all the same.
AskHistorians
A short, readable, but thorough introduction to the history of the 60s.
Matthew Ward
Dec 10, 2014
Edward Jr.
Apr 13, 2013
Karley
Dec 23, 2016
April Swartz
Nov 05, 2016
rated it did not like it
May 09, 2012
Jan 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Takin' It to the Streets: A Sixties Reader
  • The Seventies: The Great Shift In American Culture, Society, And Politics
  • Richard M. Nixon (The American Presidents, #37)
  • First Great Triumph
  • The Search for Order, 1877-1920
  • The World Split Open: How the Modern Women's Movement Changed America
  • Standing at Armageddon: The United States, 1877-1919
  • Personal Politics: The Roots of Women's Liberation in the Civil Rights Movement & the New Left
  • Race, Reform, and Rebellion: The Second Reconstruction in Black America, 1945-1990
  • For Freedom's Sake: The Life of Fannie Lou Hamer
  • Inevitable Revolutions: The United States in Central America
  • Over Here: The First World War and American Society
  • Trouble in Mind: Black Southerners in the Age of Jim Crow
  • Germany's Aims in the First World War
  • The Sixties: Years of Hope, Days of Rage
  • Labor of Love, Labor of Sorrow: Black Women, Work, and the Family from Slavery to the Present
  • The Grounding of Modern Feminism