Start by marking “Decoding the Consumer Mind: Why, When, and How Today's Radically New Consumers Shop and Buy” as Want to Read:

Most businesspeople are well aware that marketing has changed dramatically in recent years. For many, this shift is mainly about different ways to market--through social media, online engagement, and so on. But beyond the new tools available to businesses today, there have also been sweeping changes to how consumers behave in the retail environment, and what underlies our ...more
Published March 31st 2014 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Decoding the Consumer Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decoding the Consumer Mind

Start your review of Decoding the Consumer Mind: Why, When, and How Today's Radically New Consumers Shop and Buy
Dmitry Kuriakov
May 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
(The English review is placed beneath Russian one)

Очень удивлён, что автор данной книги одновременно читает лекции и по психологии и по маркетингу, т.к. как с точки зрения маркетинга, так и с точки зрения психологии книга очень слабая. По сути даже, тут больше самого автора, нежели заявленных тем. К примеру, автор четверть книги отводит вопросу, как сильно технологии изменили нынешнее общество, что, мол, всё теперь происходит с помощью гаджетов и интернета. И далее она ярко развивают эту
Judy
I read about half of this book and then pretty much lost interest. I skimmed the remainder. The author seems like a really nice person.
Jonathan Mckay
Lots of hand waving and overuse of the word 'increasingly'. The facts are scattershot trivia, nothing unified or edifying here. I'm out.
Megan
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have a strong gut reaction against scientists and researchers using psychology to help marketers game consumers (I think psychologists should be held to the same standard as MDs: do no harm).

To be fair to Kit Yarrow, this book wasn’t TOTALLY about that... she spends most of the book telling companies to act like real people with feelings who care about the people giving them money. Maybe this should be a basic concept for all marketers, but judging by the rate her books sell, it’s not.

The
Mart Vainu
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is full of new material. Not just general facts that every marketing book talks about, but rather the author goes deep into why humans make X decisions. The situations are really relatable as well, for example, how discounts make humans react. We've all bought something because of a discount. The book explains why we did it. :)

There are loads of examples of companies that have used the strategies and the author explains why the campaigns worked.

Overall: really enjoyed it, fun read and
Jen
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was recommended to me by a marketing expert but I was pretty disappointed with it.

There's nothing novel about this except for a handful of fun facts in the first half of the book. The rest drags on.
Garrett Haynes
Read this for a business class in my bachelors program. It has some helpful and useful insights about the psychology of consumers today. Good for marketers, business owners, psychologists who study consumer behavior, and of course students who are in a marketing class or program.
Boiling
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.7/5

I did not read this book to learn how to market to customers but to understand how we are being marketed to . It was quite interesting to read how our brains are changing due to smartphones.
Yiye
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting topic that taps into consumers' psychology that helps explain their shopping behaviors and attitudes. It's a good read for marketers trying to understand technology-savvy consumers. The book didn't offer advice on strategies or tactics till the last few chapters. The author spent quite some time discuss consumers' mindset nowadays - more self-reliant, highly distracted, crankier, just to name a few. The case she made about facebook resonated with me. I myself deleted facebook app ...more
Ieva Strupisa
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This year I’m reading more business books compared to last year. Actually 20% of the books that I read so far in 2017 were business books, which for me is an achievement. Last year it was only 6%. (Yes, I’m a numbers’ freak and I had to calculate percentages) I think the shift happened because I realised that not all business books are boring, a lot of them are providing valuable insights for my work or self-development and I realised how small is actually the world of science (especially ...more
Pam Joslin
Book Club book
Judd
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book as a filler during downtime at work on lunches and at home when I had a few minutes here and there. I initially picked it up at the library for entrepreneurial research. I found very quickly this was actually far more fun to read than I had expected. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to get a better understanding the how the buyer's mind works and strategies for businesses, large and small, to consider when approaching their consumers.
Filip Rublev
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book clearly encourages marketers to perceive their audience from a more “human” perspective and understand the reason for the changes in the consumer behavior that the entire industry has been observing during last years.

As “we are generally designed for survival, not quality of life,” humanity struggles with some modern challenges. Has technology caused it? The general answer is no, but both the recession and technological changes that amplified some human traits, helped.
Chad
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Decoding the New Consumer Mind: How and Why We Shop and Buy" is a must read for business leaders who are looking to sell their products and services in the new business world. Dr. Kit Yarrow not only explains what factors are influencing how consumers shop, but she also gives solid advice about what businesses can do to succeed. This a perfect follow-up book to "Gen BuY: How Tweens, Teens and Twenty-Somethings Are Revolutionizing Retail." I recommend reading both books.
Joan Minder
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read for a school project in Consumer Behavior.
Madeleine Popp
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For all those consumer behavior lovers this book is for you ! Amazing x a million. She nails today's consumers. Kind of convicting too ... Lol
JP
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a useful introduction to consumer psychology. What I liked best about it is that the examples and research are current.
Bo
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very essential reading these days.
Catleah
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Great insights- via routes of clinical psychology on the how and why of buying. I learned it all comes down to what humans want: connection. Quick read, and very inspiring.
Heather
Interesting tidbits about how the modern consumer shops and buys. Not much too surprising though. Book seemed to be over awful quickly to me. Would have been nice to see it expanded a bit more.
Steve Thomas
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire
  • Contagious: Why Things Catch On
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • The Art of Profitability
  • Different: Escaping the Competitive Herd
  • The New One Minute Manager
  • Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters
  • Being There: Why Prioritizing Motherhood in the First Three Years Matters
  • Sweet Dreams, Lima Beans (The Secret Life of Beans)
  • Strictly No Elephants
  • Scribble Stones
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • The Little Reindeer
  • The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • Peanuts Revisited: Favorites Old and New
  • Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports
  • Mindwise: How We Understand What Others Think, Believe, Feel, and Want
Kit Yarrow, Ph.D., is a consumer psychologist who is obsessed with all things related to how, when, and why we shop and buy. She conducts research through her professorship at Golden Gate University and shares her findings in speeches, and consulting work.
“she’s shopping for a sense of control, a distraction from anxiety, and a feeling of mastery and competence.” 1 likes
“The fifty brands showing the fastest financial growth from 2000 to 2010 were all associated with one of five positive human traits: eliciting joy, enabling connection, inspiring exploration, evoking pride, or impacting society.a” 0 likes