Start by marking “Curse (The Wexkia Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Curse (The Wexkia Trilogy, #1)

Curse

(The Wexkia Trilogy #1)

Nell lives on a beach with only her mysterious father and close neighbours for company. As her seventeenth birthday approaches, she experiences something strange - suddenly, she can communicate with animals and sense other people's feelings. Her life is turned upside-down when she learns the frightening truth about who she really is and discovers that her life is in danger ...more
ebook
Published February 20th 2015 by Smashwords Edition (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curse

megHan
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It is one of those coming-of-age type stories where, when the main character (Nell) is about to turn 17, she finds out that her parents aren't who - or maybe I should say what - she thought them to be. There are secrets, adventures, aliens from other planets, danger, a book no one knows about, hidden powers and so much more included in the story. The descriptions are beautiful, the dangers exciting and the "people" she meets along the way are interesting. A good book to shar ...more
Gordon Long
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it is common among children to fantasize about what would happen if they woke up one morning and discovered that they weren't what everyone thought, that they were beings from another planet, with powers to match. This book is a realistic and enjoyable take on what that might be like. Not necessarily enjoyable for the main character.
Nell is an average 16-year-old, enjoying her life on the northeast coast of Australia, looking forward to the future she has planned. Then a mystical encount
Jo Reason
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
Summary: Nell lives with her Dad in an idyllic beach house and has lived there all her life, she is about to turn seventeen and wants to go off to collage, but her Dad has other ideas. Suddenly her world changes from one day to the next and she discovers things about herself and her family that she never expected. It is the first of a series.

It is a very entertaining book. An exciting start traps the reader right from the beginning. It then continues throughout the whole book with much excitemen
Gigi Sedlmayer
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is Nell? Alian or Human?

As Nell's 17's birthday draw nearer, she experiences some changes in herself and could not comprehend it. She is becoming more aware of things and she can hear animals talking and can hear thoughts of other people. She is asking herself 'what is happening to myself? Is that normal growing up?'

Until her father and newly reviled relatives unveil to her that she is not only a human, she also is an alien from another world. And here starts the incredible story of a teen
Rebecca
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing fantasy ride, full of unique characters and vivid scenes.

Nell is facing college and has secretly applied to one. But there's a reason her father doesn't support this idea, and it isn't any reason you've ever heard of before.

For seventeen years, Nell has lived a rather lonely--but fairly normal--life. Then one day an alligator speaks to her, and from that moment on, BIG changes come barreling, sweeping her away from any hint of normalcy, and taking her good friend Sam with
Rodney Carlson
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can I tell you how much I liked this book without sounding like a fake review? Let’s start with, this book was put together well. It was full of action, conflict, and adventure. I worried over and cheered for the main character Nell through every turn she took. The editor involved did a great job making a fun and exciting story, smooth and easy to read. This was an entertaining and delightful treat. I can’t help but get the rest of this series. If you want a well written adventure full of ne ...more
Rosa Christian
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting and intriguing 'coming of age book'. Dale has a fertile imagination which is able to see the world through a young person's eyes. She is an Australian author worth reading and I look forward to reading the rest of the Wexia trilology and anything else she writes.
Hyde Arghast
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a page turner. The character development keeps you interested and attentive the whole way through, while the action and excitement tops the whole thing off perfectly.
Can't wait for book 2!
Michael George
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the same book as 1st edition Curse of Wexkia . Still great for all ages. My original 5 dt
stars stands.
K. Eller
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Enchanting & Magical Adventure That will Captivate Your Imagination!
Curse by Dale Furse is one of the Best Sci-fi/fantasy books I have read this year! It is a feast for the imagination with vivid imagery and non-stop Spellbinding action. For me this was quite a refreshing and engrossing read! The Author delivers her story with a perfect blend of mystical fantasy, Science Fiction, a touch of romance, mystery and personal growth. I was intrigued with the strong, relatable characters, flowi
April Adams
I want to make one thing clear, the book's premise is very good. I enjoyed the story line. I just couldn't get into it as much as I wanted to. It reads like a first draft or maybe a screenplay. It may just be that I don't connect with the author's style, but in my opinion the book could do with being run through a few beta readers or an editor. There were parts of the story that seemed disjointed, the dialogue felt not-quite-right, the character made decisions in a split second without putting y ...more
Jo Reason
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads

Bookvetter 1
This is a cute fantasy story of multiple species from different worlds about a teenage girl successfully meeting a large host of unexpected and unique challenges that she was not prepared for by her previous rather quiet life.

The world she finds herself on is colorful and exciting but not overwhelming. It does a good job of providing a backdrop for the adventure which is the real point of the story.

Unfortunately, the crafting of the book is equally as poor as the storyline is good. This book fe
Bookvetter 2
3 out of 5 Stars
Discover that earth is a hiding place for the decedents of a terrible disease that was cured by splitting a race into distinct species, each with their own set of talents. Now love is bringing about inter-species unions producing offspring that is putting the race back together, one family at a time.

Nell is turning 17 and ready for university. Her distant relationship with her father and her admiration for Sam are leading her away from the family home. A chance encounter with a a
Kindle Ninja
As Nell’s 17th birthday draws near, she starts to experience changes that all feels strange to her. Her heightened senses enable her to communicate with animals and sense people’s feelings. It becomes apparent that Nell is anything but ordinary.

The story immediately takes shape and sets the conflict while you’re still reeling from the astonishing discovery. The plot thickens when more secrets are revealed and it quickly takes you to a world so alien, it gets perplexing – in a good way.

The air in
Nikki Bywater
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nell is about to reach her seventeenth birthday, she has found that she has special powers like she is able to communicate with animals, and for a while she has had very strange dreams. Nell is looking forward to going to university, but when her father puts a stop to this she wonders why. Nell soon learns the life she knows is about to change dramatically, and that her ancestry is not what she thought. Soon she finds her life in danger, she must face prejudice, and fight for her life to try and ...more
Cindi
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review”

While I did enjoy the book, and even bought the next book, the book has a few problems. I think the best way to describe the problem is a fluid problem. Some ideas do flow well from one thought to the next. It also seems some things are not described quite enough. A few times, mostly at the beginning, I had to go back a reread a paragraph or two to put together what was happening. A few of the characters need more developing.

I thin
Georgeanna
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting middle-grade to YA science fiction, fantasy, coming of age, and off-world story of family, friendship, and aliens.  Some friendly aliens and some treacherous aliens. I enjoyed the unique story line, the characters, and the 'powers' the different races posessed. It dragged a bit in the middle, but that may be because I'm a lot older than the target audience for this story. Nice lessons of "one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch" and "don't judge a book by it's cover" were also ve ...more
Bookvetter 3
Although the premise behind this story has promise, the plot and the characters, in my opinion, would benefit from further development. As it stands, it is quite patchy in places. The enmity between the Wintars and the Phibs is interesting; I would like to have known a bit more about this, and how Nell's mother and father got together. The strongest character is Nell's friend, Sam, although he doesn't have much of a role to play in the story other than be Nell's admiring sidekick. I would have l ...more
Katrina Cope
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-aliens
I enjoyed this book and following Nell’s journey from thinking she was a normal human girl and finding out things were not as they seemed. It is nice to see a book written where the main character lives in Australia and actually see a little of Australia come through, but not too much to confuse people from other countries. Maybe this is my pride of Australian heritage coming through.

The story flowed well and mostly lined up all its points. It was certainly full of action to keep the story inte
Bookvetter 4
The book has an well-thought out plot and remains interesting throughout. As what is obviously the first book in a series, the author left many interesting avenues to explore in further volumes, and left us dangling enough to want to know how events will ultimately play out.

Alternatively, however, the characters fell flat for me. I couldn't bring myself to like Nell at all, Cay-meka was an annoying brat, and Sam's acceptance of everything appeared far too casual.
Overall, I give high marks for th
Bookvetter 5
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a non-fiction writer who doesn't usually read fiction, especially a fantasy type of book. That is why I found "Curse" especially surprising. It had a great plot that held my interest. I found the characters likable and I cared about how they solved their problems. It was good enough to make me consider reading the fantasy genre and I would be interested in reading the other books in the trilogy. I give it a five out of five!
Bronwyn
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From a beach in the north of Australia Nell is transported to a faraway extraterrestrial world. But that’s not the only change she has to deal with – her body is altering too, and with it her whole future.

I hadn’t read Author Dale Furse’s work before, but this book appeals to me, as it should also to young adults and anyone who likes fantasy. I’ll look for the next book in the Wexkia series.
kathleen detherow
Loved this book

I like my fantasy to surprise me and boy oh boy did it ever this time.No shifters weres or vampires here but what is here is wondrous!!I seriously recommend this book to everyone and it's family friendly no sex no cussing none of that just a great story.As soon as you meet the main character Nell who is...nope you have to read it lol.Meanwhile I'm off to buy part two."This book was gifted to me in return for an honest review"
a cup of coffee and a fairytale
i received this book in exchange for an honest review and i just finished the book. couldn't wait to write a review!!

this book is well conceived and well put across. it gives shape to your imagination. a very good mix of romance, mystery and sci-fi, is just right for a young reader. the characters in the book are very strong and well shaped!! i finished the book in just one day. shall definitely recommend it to anyone you is interested in a quality young adult book.
Michael George
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was listed as YA, however this is a great adult read. It has all the things I love, Adventure, excitment Space travel and aliens whilst still having a foot still on earth. Set in North Queensland Australia in a setting to die for. Loved every bit and I hope this is only the first of a series, and it left me wanting the story to never end.
Rebecca
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rrbc
"Curse" is wonderfully written, surpassing the multitude of indie novels so often fraught with grammatical errors and poor writing. The writer's style is easy to read. The story keeps you interested the entire time. Dale Furse has done a nice job of world building and describing the "aliens," although I would have liked to see more of the world of Nell's relatives.
Maryalice
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like action and adventure and I don't like waiting for it to happen. The action in this book started at the beginning and need at the end. Anoher sign of a good book is reading when I should be doing other things. This book held my interest. I read it every chance I got and a few I shouldn't have.
Bookvetter 6
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so fun and entertaining. I'm sure it won't take long for people to discover how talented Dale Furse is. Don't believe me, read it yourself. This is the kind of Authors we need to boost the reputation of the Indie community. She obviously cares about the product she puts out.
Bobbie Grob
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well-written fantasy story for the YA genre, but interesting enough for older people to enjoy as well.

• Jack: The Tale of Frost (Claus, #2)
  • Undermountain (The Undermountain Saga, #1)
  • The Cure
  • Dawn of the Infected: A Prequel Novella (Hybrid Chronicles)
  • Satan's Son
  • Bloodmoon (Bloodmark Saga, #3)
  • Crimson Dahlia (Svatura, #3)
  • Death to the Undead (Life After the Undead #2)
  • The Starlight Fortress
  • Avis Blackthorn: Is Not An Evil Wizard! (Wizard Magic School, #1)
  • Pretty Dark Sacrifice (Pretty Dark Nothing, #2)
  • Your Name, In Fire (Vampire Geek Cycle, #1)
  • The Night Dahlia (Nightwise, #2)
  • The Kota (The Kota Series Book 1)
  • Joshua and the Lightning Road (Lightning Road #1)
  • Broken Dolls (The Telepathic Clans #3)
  • Ghost
  • The City of Souls
Dale Furse lives in North Queensland, Australia with her husband and sometimes-demented, three-legged dog, Zeus.

After finding studying her Bachelor of Business degree with a major in accounting at the University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba campus, not to her liking, she pursued her interests in creative outlets. She played guitar, wrote and performed songs in the band, Eclipse, for several y

The Wexkia Trilogy (3 books)
  • Secret (The Wexkia Trilogy, #2)
  • Justice (Wexkia trilogy #3)