Start by marking “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” as Want to Read:
Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Read, row, and roar along - a newly imagined favorite will have everyone singing.

In this vibrantly-painted rain forest, squeak, bark, and chatter along with a kitten and puppy rowing their way down the stream. Uncover one delightful animal surprise after another. Sheet music with guitar chords, along with Cabrera's jaunty new verses, is included.

Jane Cabrera's Story Time
Published February 1st 2014 by Holiday House (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Row, Row, Row Your Boat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Start your review of Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Renee
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My 2 year old has loved this book since he was a year old. We have tried others by Ms. Cabrera, but he is addicted to this book. Fortunately, this is a library book, so I can take a break from it every once in awhile. The pictures are delightful and the story is classic with a creative spin! I would buy it but I just don't have the time to read it all day long.

***UPDATE***
We have read this way more than two times. Each time we check it out, it is read at least 5 times. :-)
Rebecca Ann
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the perfect book for our baby story time. I paper-clipped a few animals to cut down on the length slightly, but the kids and parents followed along, and most of the babies ended up hanging onto my knees while I sang. They loved making the animal sounds at the end of each verse.
Vivian
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
You'll be making all kinds of noises as you encounter wildlife such as mice, a monkey, an elephant, a crocodile, a lion, a tiger, some doves, and finally a mommy dog while rowing up a JUNGLE stream. At sunset you'll be rowing wearily, wearily, wearily, wearily -- snuggle up and dream.
Shelley
This now is one of my go-to story time books.
Was a winner for both Wonderful Ones and Preschool Story time 4/18/2014

Family Fun 5/31/2014
Samantha Beaujour
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery-rhymes
1. None.
2. Pre k- Kindergarten.
3. A kitten and a puppy paddle down a rainforest river. Along the way they are surprised by animals that live in the rainforest.
4. Creative version of the classic rhyme. Gets students interactive while reading and sometimes active. It's repetitiveness makes it even more enjoyable because you know what's coming next.
5. Create small water boats using pool noodles and watch them float, read an informational text about the rainforest.
I really like this book. The tune, of course, is standard and fun, and the words fit well. I read this book with 2 year olds and their caregivers, and even at the end of storytime, this book held their interest because of the fun of making sounds and motions. The colorful illustrations are easy for kids to see, and this book is just fun all around. The sleepy ending would be nice for a bedtime story at home.
Kady
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
More verses to sing to the tune of row row row your boat. Swimming mice, growling tigers, and snapping crocodiles populate this stream this cat and dog are rowing down. Cute illustrations. They end up with a dog mom and I wonder about the cat in the boat: are they adopted? Sleeping over with the dog family? A runaway? This is never explained and I spend too much time thinking about the family dynamics in children's books.
Meg McGregor
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lexi-victoria
This was a favorite for all three of us!

The girls love it when I sing the verses to them; and, then they get to give the animal sounds!

Along the way, I ask questions and the girls love to be able to interact with the story!

Wonderful illustrations and imaginative fun make this a real keeper!
Meg
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, cats
I'm a sucker for a beautiful picture book featuring a cat. This one will make a great sing-along for storytime, though it is a bit long. I suppose you could skip certain verses and still have the same effect. A colleague invited me to Cabrera's work this morning-- plenty of tie-in uses for preschool library activities!
Rachel Wood
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery
This is an all-time favorite nursery rhyme. Jane Cabrera did a great job incorporating a cute puppy and kitten into the story. I believe the friendly soft looking animals is a great way to keep the children engaged. Also including different animals on their journey is a great way for children to be interactive in the story!
Alicia Evans
I used this for my Mother Goose storytime. It's playful and has lots of animal sounds which kept the kids entertained as the book changed the song from what they knew.

For: readers wanting a book that easily incorporated music

Red flags: minor characters in peril.
Megan
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I used this recently for a toddler storytime. The children were definitely captivated by the illustrations - the large, bold colors and pictures make this stand out in a crowd. The book follows a familiar song, so it's one you can sing as you read. I look forward to checking out more of Jane Cabrera's work, since I know she has a number of similar song-based, colorful books that work well for storytime, as well as general kid appeal.
Amy
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My son’s favorite story time songbook.
Valencia
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Cabrera's books! Very sweet and I really like books to illustrate songs.
Diane
A great participation story for read alouds.
Stacey
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music-literacy
This is one of my story time favorites. The variations on the classic tune are creative and fun. The illustrations are fun, and the kids love to sing/read with me!
Casey
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2017
Daughter (3) who loves books set to song loved this one.
Camille
Cabrera does not disappoint with this song-picture book featuring different animals and animal sounds merrily rowing down the steam! Perfect for toddler-kindergarten storytimes and lapsits.
Jo Oehrlein
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love the animal sounds that are incorporated into the new verses of Row, Row, Row Your Boat.

I think this would be a great interactive read-aloud with the kids helping with the animal sounds.
Dewey
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a little too long for me to use with my baby storytime group, but it is SO cute. The illustrations are adorable, and the rhymes are really fun.
Beth
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
darling art and would be fun to read out load.
Polly
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Jane Cabrara's song books! And this one always gets a nice "awww" from the parents at the end.
Becca
Read for Boats and Planes themed storytime 9/25/2018 - we made all of the animal sounds after each verse. The kids really liked this one.
Leslie
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun take on a classic song. I'm going to try this one with my toddlers...I think the interaction will be fun. Jane Cabrera's illustrations are wonderful!
Tiziana
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice picture book to be used in storytime, and you can sing "Row, row, row your boat" while you read.
Gwen Marie
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: babies
Colorful illustrations along with the fun verses make this an engaging story. Great possibility for reader interaction.
Jesse
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Several new verses of the song featuring different animals will help this song stretch allllll the way through bathtime. Berry was a fan. :)
Amanda
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 0-2-storytime
Well liked at story time
Maeve
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Storytime:
Boats
Nursery Rhymes
Zoo Animals
Ms. Jeane
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite storytime books, Jane Cabrera is a storytime staple for me!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Once Upon a Goat
  • Baby Shark
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Mouse Mess
  • How Do You Say? / ¿Cómo Se Dice?
  • There's a Bear on My Chair
  • Spunky Little Monkey
  • Hats Are Not for Cats!
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
  • Pete the Cat and the Missing Cupcakes
  • Little Excavator
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Bear Came Along
Jane Cabrera is best known as an Author and Illustrator of Children's Books.
She has written and illustrated 56 books which have been translated into over 25 languages and won awards in the US and Europe. She lives on the edge of beautiful Dartmoor National Park in the UK.
Her books range from picture story books to concept board books for babies.