Start by marking “The Only Thing Worse Than Witches” as Want to Read:
The Only Thing Worse Than Witches

The Only Thing Worse Than Witches

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  496 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Rupert Campbell is fascinated by the witches who live nearby. He dreams of broomstick tours and souvenir potions, but the closest he can get to a witchy experience is sitting in class with his awful teacher Mrs. Frabbleknacker, who smells like bellybutton lint and forbids Rupert’s classmates from talking to each other before, during, and after class. So when he sees an ad ...more
Published August 14th 2014 by Dial Books (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Only Thing Worse Than Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Only Thing Worse Than Witches

Adam Silvera
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
100% loved this!

Straight-up MG magic that was charming and fun and perfect for the month of October. I read a solid 100 pages last night right before bed (super fast/funny read) and was planning on saving the rest for when I got home from work the next day because obviously I-Shouldn't-Read-A-Kid's-Book-On-The-Subway-In-Front-of-Adults….except that was stupid so I brought the book on the subway with me because this book is hilarious and smart and I didn't want to wait that long to be reunited w
Tara
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, arc
This is an utterly hilarious, utterly charming book, full of just the kinds of zany jokes and clever twists that will make it an immediate favorite among kids (and humor-loving adults!) The key ingredient here, I think, is a touch of absurdism, which Magaziner works into her story masterfully. The comparisons with Roald Dahl are absolutely apt.

The main character, Rupert, forms a solid center for a tale populated with fantastically wacky supporting characters--my favorites being Mrs. Frabbleknack
Mike in Nevada
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
My granddaughter bought this book for me after her brother told her he liked it. I would have liked it just for that reason, sharing their love of reading; but it also is a sweet fantasy tale that early readers would enjoy. Characters' names are silly, but that probably makes it more charming for young people.
Jen Malone
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rupert Campbell is fascinated by the witches who live nearby. He dreams of broomstick tours and souvenir potions, but Rupert’s mother forbids him from even looking at that part of town. The closest he can get to a witchy experience is sitting in class with his awful teacher Mrs. Frabbleknacker, who smells like bellybutton lint and forbids Rupert’s classmates from talking to each other before, during, and after class. So when he sees an ad to become a witch’s apprentice, Rupert simply can’t resis ...more
Cheryl
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not hilarious, not thought-provoking, just silly. Even the title is a throwaway. Even lighter than Ruth Chew, definitely less interesting than Roald Dahl. And to compare it to Wayside School is just ridiculous. Sorry.
Cliff Bathke
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Rupert is in 5th grade and loves the witches that live near him. He wants to be just like them and ride a broom and make potions. He gets upset because the closest person he has meet to a witch is his teacher Mrs. Frabbleknacker, who smells like belly button lint. One day he sees a posting for witches apprentice and Rupert just knows he wants the job. When he gets the job he learns that being a witch can be tough find out more about the crazy ending when you read it.
2. Grades 2-4
3. I would re
Mary Summer
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The only thing better than the title THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN WITCHES is the book itself. The creativity of middle-grade authors blows me away. This book is a sparkling example of the best middle-grade has to offer. Witchling Two and Rupert are adorable and feisty and, as you’d expect from such a creative book, incredibly creative themselves. The stakes are huge for poor Rupert and Witchling Two. Captivity, exile, and no more magic! Horrors! But worse by far is the ever-present threat of...bunn ...more
Rebecca
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a fun read, perfect for the month of Oct. :). Rupert helps Witchling Two prepare for her bar exam which if she passes allows her to be full blown Witch & pick her name. High jinx ensues, lollipops are consumed & family mysteries are solved. Great for anyone whose ever struggled with word pronunciation or finding true friendship..........they are related. Hahahahhaha........... Great read for any one 7-11 yrs. old or young of heart.
Stephanie
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
The story was captivating as one would not have guessed the secrets that would be uncovered at the end of the story.

I love the interaction between Witchling Two and Rupert. The twisted words and spells was only part of the fun in reading this book.

I've enjoyed reading this book and I know my students will enjoy it as well :)
Rebecca Petruck
*shudder* I'm still in shock from discovering what is the only thing worse than witches. Spoiler: Don't be fooled by them!

The Only Thing Worse Than Witches, The Novel, is so fun and charming and over-the-top unique, and I absolutely adore W2! Or should I say "I snore bubbly dew." (That's an inside joke, meaning read the INSIDE of this book!)

Alexis Mathew
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I absolutely could not put this book down! The book is so funny and quirky, and I love the sense of humor. All of Lauren Magaziner's books are amazing, and she is definitely a five-star author!
Ainsley Harkin
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and i couldnt put it down. Lauren is an amazing author and cant wait to meet her when she comes to our school. This book stole my heart and didnt let go until I was done. She has an magnifacent mind.
Alyssa McGrady
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun book to read and anyone who sees it should defiantly read it because it is one of the best books that I have read in a long time.
Melissa Landers
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2k14
This was an adorable story of friendship and bravery. (Also, I'll never look at bunnies the same way again!)
Eileen W
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
It was okay from my perspective, but my 8 year old boy, with whom I read it, really enjoyed it. We met the author at B&N and she wrote a very cute note to us in the cover of the book.
Suzie Bookgirl
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was funny and had plenty of action to keep me entertained. I especially loved the bunnies! I will be giving this one to my 8 year old next.
John
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion about the book The Only Thing Worse Than Witches by Lauren Magaziner the book was really fantastic page turner that was filled with lot of action and plot twisters. Yes some of the parts of the book were easy to see but it is a great book for kids of all ages and would make a amazing movie. Some of my favorite parts of the book was when everyone turned into bunnies and Sandy was smart and compassionate to help protect Rupert from the bunny witches. Also when Rupert found out that ...more
Taru Sankar
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Only Thing Worst than Witches by Lauren Magaziner is the BEST BOOK EVER! Since I read the first page, I could not put it down. It is so funny too. I relate to it a lot. If you are having a bad day, just pick up this book and start reading it. I am positive that it will cheer you up.In my opinion, I like Witchling Two. She is not the most clever person, but she is hilarious. Lauren Magaziner is the most magnificent author ever. I want to read more of her books too. I rate her five stars becau ...more
Maren Goldberg
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a great book. parts I was scared and thrilled. But it was mostly happy and funny. I would read this book over and over again. In The Only Thing Worse Than WItches I was laughing and it made me smile. I felt like I in the book like I was there an it was sad at some parts. This book is definitely action-packed, on-the-edge-of-your-seat, entertaining book. I love The Only Thing Worse Than Witches.
Isabella Potts
Shelves: lauren-books
I think this was a very funny book. Why this book was funny was that the witching kept messing up the spells. She only kept messing up the spells because she was saying them wrong. But this book was very good and interesting u need to read this book. You should rate it to and write a review on how it was.
Eshaan
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a laugh-out-loud book about Rupert, a fifth grader who becomes an ugly witches's apprentice only to find out that she is a witchling dressed like a witch. Now Herbert must help her become a real witch by helping her pass the Bar Exam.
Hannah Yu
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I remember when I was in about fourth or third grade, I was so obsessed with this book! I would re-read it so many times, I basically had the book memorized. Amazing read!
Sophia Jordan
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sophia-s-shelf
I really loved this book because I loved the characters. My favorite character was Witchling Two because she is sooooooooo funny!
Sean Collins
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the witches!!
Lillian Bar
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author, Lauren Magaziner, detailed every small detail which kept me turning the pages.
Avery Whitney
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really think that she left me with a lot of predictions of what was going to happen next, and I loved the amount of detail and action that she put in this book.
Rohil Singh
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
This book is so good that witches have read it. This is what I think about this book... IT IS AWESOME!!! It has so many exciting parts and twists that you don't see coming. Honestly, I have read it 11 times. This is what I am going to say. BEWARE OF THE BUNNIES!!!!
Briana
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
The Only Thing Worse Than Witches is heartwarming story about two children who, in the course of cramming for a witch Bar Exam, discover they just might learn more about friendship than they do about spells. Rupert Campbell, hoping to escape his horrifying fifth grade teacher, answers an ad to become a witch’s apprentice. It turns out, however, that Witchling Two is, well, not yet actually a witch. She needs a human apprentice to help her study and pass her test to earn the title! Yet assisting ...more
Becky B
Rupert notices an ad in the paper for a human to be a witch apprentice. He’s always been curious about the witches in his small coastal town. His mom doesn’t want him anywhere near them for some reason, but Rupert is curious. And he needs to do something to get his mind off of his horrible 5th grade teacher who is quite possibly the meanest teacher ever. (No, seriously. Do you know another teacher who makes kids hunt through the dump for a paperclip for no reason?!) Anyway, Rupert applies, only ...more
Angela Holtz
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on Goodreads. They ask that you review it, but it's not required. I was so impressed when it arrived. First of all I didn't know I had won - thanks for letting me know, Goodreads! Second, she autographed it. It said something about bunnies and friends. That became clear as we read the book.

At first I wasn't that impressed. It was so out there with silly names and the kids vs. adults theme. Rupert is in the 5th grade and he has the worst teacher ever! The kids aren't allowed to be
Your Top 5 Favorite Books you've read this year So Far. 1 2 Mar 02, 2017 11:27AM
  • What the Moon Said
  • At Your Service
  • All Four Stars (All Four Stars #1)
  • When Audrey Met Alice
  • School of Charm
  • Abby Spencer Goes to Bollywood
  • Hook's Revenge (Hook's Revenge, #1)
  • There Will Be Bears
  • No Surrender Soldier
  • By the Grace of Todd
  • The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher
  • Steering Toward Normal
  • The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
  • Spirit's Key
  • The 8th Continent (The 8th Continent, #1)
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • Dreamwood
  • Life of Zarf: The Trouble with Weasels
Lauren Magaziner is the author of humorous middle grade books: Wizardmatch (2018), Pilfer Academy (2016), The Only Thing Worse Than Witches (2014), and the upcoming Case Closed #1: Mystery in the Mansion (August 2018). She is a proud graduate of Hamilton College and spent two years working in the magazine world (a serendipitous job considering her last name). Lauren is originally from New Hope, Pe ...more
More about Lauren Magaziner