Start by marking “Here and Again” as Want to Read:
Here and Again

Here and Again

Deep in the Shenandoah Valley, the present and the past are as restless as the river mists. And when they collide, the heart is the only compass pointing home.

For nurse Ginger Martin, her late husband’s farm is both a treasured legacy and the harbinger of an uncertain future. Since he was recently killed in Iraq, every day is fraught with grief that won’t abate. Keeping
Published June 3rd 2014 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Here and Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here and Again

Donna
Apr 20, 2015 Donna rated it it was ok
This book didn't work for me. I found this title on a "time-slip" list, thinking this was going to be time travel and it wasn't. It was paranormal and that is not my kind of genre....at all. So, I felt jipped which didn't help.

This was a sweet story, no doubt. I had problems with the descriptions that added only to the word count. That is one of my major pet peeves. I also didn't feel connected to the characters. They were nice, acceptable people, but not particulary memorable...well maybe the
Karen White
Mar 26, 2014 Karen White rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, emotionally satisfying, this book combines what I guess would be contemporary women's fiction (subjects of family, parenting, identity) with historical fiction (Civil War in Virginia) in a wonderfully creative way.
One of those books where I had to stop recording during the final chapters to blow my nose because I was crying so much! Didn't want to leave the world Dickson created....
Gabby-Lily Raines
Apr 18, 2014 Gabby-Lily Raines rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print, goodreads
Received Here and Again as a GoodReads First Read.

I started reading the book the day I received the book in the mail and couldn't put it down. It encompasses timeless themes for me: hopes, dreams, love, family, friendship, and....continuity with a sprinkling of tradition and roots.

It is also a story of how things may not turn out as expected, yet bring new perspectives to long standing problems.

Having a deep appreciation of Civil War history, I also enjoyed how Ms. Dickson wove some of it in a
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Oct 14, 2014 Meg - A Bookish Affair rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, paranormal, 2014
In "Here and Again," Ginger really wants to keep her husband's family farm in the Virginia countryside after he is killed in action in Iraq. She wants her three children to be able to grow up on the farm as was her husband's dream. The reality is that Ginger doesn't have enough money to keep the farm afloat nor does she know how to effectively run a farm. She's losing hope of being able to keep the farm when a ghost (of all things) appears to her. Samuel is a ghost from the Civil War (although h ...more
Julie Barrett
Apr 08, 2014 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
Here and Again by Nicole R. Dickson
Have read the author's other works and loved the book and am looking forward to this book. It's a tale about the woods and trails which I strive to get to on the weekends.
We have traveled to the area of Shenandoah and have enjoyed it but didn't explore much about the battles. This book is about a family, a mother and her three children and they live on the mother in laws farm in Virginia.
She is a nurse and travels to work some shifts quite a distance from home.
Sharon Mccumber
Nov 18, 2014 Sharon Mccumber rated it it was amazing
received this book through a giveaway and I'm not gunna lie, I was nervous as hell to start it. Normally I don't like the "Housewife books" , you know what I mean, the love and sap just don't appeal to me.
So after I got this book it took me a while to actually get up the nerve to read it. So after about a week of it sitting on my shelf I thought... with you don't read if you don't take chances... I cracked open the front cover and paged through the title pages, signed page and the acknowledgmen
DL
May 21, 2014 DL rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The writing in this book hooked me in from the very start - Ms. Dickson has a beautifully lyrical way of writing and I felt there was so much symbolism within the pages, that now having finished I realize this is one of those books that would be well worth rereading to catch all the things I missed the first time around. I think this book would make a perfect book club read - so much rich food for discussion. I loved her characters - so many but all serving a great purpose within the story. Deal ...more
Catherine
Jan 08, 2017 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Heartfelt story of family, love and loss. The strong bound of a family trying to cope with a loss and the gift from the past. This I would read again. I want this in my library.
OpenBookSociety.com
Aug 28, 2014 OpenBookSociety.com rated it really liked it

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kim

his is one book you have to really pay close attention to because it goes back and forth to the here and now to back when but it totally makes the book. This is a heartbreaking story that eventually mends the hearts of the characters and readers alike. To lose a love and to try to carry on when they are gone is hard enough but when you try to do it raising kids and working and trying to keep your love’s dream alive it’s ne
Chris  Carroll
I got a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review - full review on twoclasschics.com

I am not so sure I even have the words to describe the depth the author has created with this story but I am going to try. Here and Again is a book about love and overcoming heartbreak. A book about family; the love and giving of others, for others. It is an amazing book of parallel lives that will bring you to tears in many areas.

I started this book with a bit of confusion. At first, it was hard to real
Jane
Here and Again combines love, loss, joy, family, community, duty and loyalty with an element of historical mixed in, as only a story about the South where the Civil War is part of the heritage. Ginger Moon is living on her late husband's family farm with Grandma Osbee, when deep i n despair she sees Samuel, a Civil War Soldier lost without his ending. Blending his story with her story they come together to save the farm for her three children, she learns to live and share in new ways more in kee ...more
Judy Collins
Nichole R. Dickson’s HERE AND AGAIN, is a beautiful novel of loss, love, redemption, and finding your way home.

Dickson dives into the lives and histories of families, and back to the Civil War, with well-developed characters, drawing readers into a magical world as the novel shifts back and forth between Ginger and Samuel’s POV.

Ginger lost her husband in Iraq and she is raising three children. She is living on a farm where her husband grew up, owned by her husband’s grandmother.

Set deep in the
Pammy
Nov 09, 2014 Pammy rated it really liked it
A deeply satisfying novel that touches on many subjects of personal interest: American history, battlefields, families in crisis, heroine as a registered nurse, a mystery,the challenges of life 'down on the farm', etc.
The recently widowed mother of three,her mother-in-law, and curious stranger who appears in their lives are just a few of the characters that Ms Dickson effectively creates and with whom you will instantly bond.
Be sure you finish this often bittersweet story by reading the author's
Lindsey
May 29, 2014 Lindsey rated it liked it
This is the classic story of girl looses boy in Iraq War. Girl meets boy from Civil War. But this isn’t so much a romance as it is finding your own way. It is ultimately a story of perspectives.

This is a good summer read. It is light, but has substance. It is full of sadness, but it is removed from that sadness by time so you won’t be boo-hooing at the beach. It also play with the idea that time might exist all at once, but not in a way that is hard to follow. It will just make you think a bit a
Reading Fool
Aug 10, 2014 Reading Fool rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, 2014
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.

This was a beautifully written book. It has two storylines, one set in the present and the other set during the Civil War. Ginger Martin is a nurse and a widow, mourning her husband's death while serving as a soldier in Iraq. Samuel Annanais is a Confederate soldier whose story is told through his letters to his wife Juliette. Ginger's and Samuel's lives are intertwined in a surprising way, and the language used by Nicole Dickson is lyrical,
Tina
May 14, 2015 Tina rated it liked it
At a certain point in a book you have to make a decision whether to finish it or bail. In this case I had enough time invested I decided to stick with it and it would get better. I wish I'd bailed. It just did nothing for me. Single mom and widow of a soldier, struggling to overcome her grief and raise her 3 children encounters Sam, a Civil War ghost. And back and forth it goes throughout the story from Sam's letters to Juliet, to his conversations with the widow and his inability to cross over ...more
Gloria
Sep 05, 2014 Gloria rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read. A nurse with three children is recovering from her husband's death in the mid east. She is visited by a helpful spirit from the Civil War. The story switches from the present with Samuel's spirit helping Ginger save her husband's farm to the past with Samuel writing letters to his sweetheart as he fights in the Shenandoah campaign. Really wonderful merging of history or courage.
Brandi Larsen
Jul 16, 2014 Brandi Larsen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women's fiction
Shelves: 2014
This is the book that has stayed in my thoughts since I read it.

The way Dickson weaves the stories of the past and present and how she's able to push her character through grief is incredible. I loved reading how the family comes together when it's being torn apart -- and it gave me ideas and inspiration on how I want to lead my own life. Highly recommend.

I work at Penguin, but did not affect this review.
Susan
Nov 05, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
The Author pens "Here and Again" in a plot filled with historic details, heartache, love and healing. A great read although it was a bit hard to follow until I figured out that there was a lot of bouncing from then and now, but once you understood that it went much easier. The Author brings her characters to life realistically. Recommended for all readers.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest review.
Karen Thompson
Apr 15, 2014 Karen Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
If one’s mind is broad enough to accept that a ghost can be a main character, this book can be enjoyed for its historical references to the Civil War as well as seeing Ginger morph from a grieving widow to a farmer, a bold step indeed. I did not enjoy Samuel’s letters to Juliette, written in a rather poetic style, however appropriate for the style of that time. This is a fairly good read that will be enjoyed by many who seek stories involving the spirit world.
Liz
Apr 16, 2015 Liz rated it liked it
As it's basis this is a ghost story about a civil war soldier who helps a current day war widow/single mom who lives in virginia, but it's really about family and love. A good novel that honors all those who fight for what they believe in.
Natalie
Jan 13, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
This was really interesting and different. The characters were captivating and the story flowed well, so I finished it in 3-4 days. This is the second book I read by this author and I liked them both.
Erin
May 22, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I graciously received a free copy through first reads.

This book is about two people lost in life and find each other. Decent story, but I don't like the whole ghost/time travel concept. No "happy" ending, just life moving forward.

Was a quick read.
Kim
Aug 20, 2016 Kim rated it liked it
decent book, long winded, I fell asleep 3 times during the first quarter, and I had to fight to read the letters, glad I did cause the letters in the second half entwined with the story. took a while for it to pick up
Rhoda Lipphard
Sep 24, 2014 Rhoda Lipphard rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book, the story makes you want to believe good things happen to good people. There are moments that make you cry, but it's necessary for the story. I think you have to be open to the concept that there might be spirits and strange connections can exist.
Tanya
Oct 02, 2014 Tanya rated it really liked it
I really liked the premise of the story, that two people separated in time, but not in place, could each perform actions impacting the present of the other person. Well written and interesting, it proved to be a very fast read.
Ashlee Nelson
Aug 05, 2014 Ashlee Nelson rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I don't usually write reviews on books but this one makes me feel the need too. The beginning started out slow for me then turned into a book I couldn't put down. The end was a little confusing to me on why it ended where it did, I would recommend reading this book to anyone.
Cassie Peters
May 20, 2014 Cassie Peters rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I think this book was amazing and I am not just saying that because I won the book through First Reads on Goodreads. I really enjoyed reading this book. The story is so beautiful.
Joan Brinson
Jun 21, 2014 Joan Brinson rated it really liked it
I can clearly see and hear Nicole Dickson's characters and visualize their surroundings. The writing is lyrical, and the story is captivating.
Diana McKeon
Jul 28, 2014 Diana McKeon rated it liked it
The story drew me in. I'll admit it was a little hokey at some points and wordy with the battle flashbacks, but a sweet story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Second Chance Friends
  • Carly's Gift
  • Bubba Done It (Dreamwalker, #2)
  • The Tell-Tale Heart
  • Jimmy's Game (Ruthless #1)
  • Deep in Crimson (Return to Sanctuary, #2)
  • Overdrive
  • In the Mirror
  • Blowing Off Steam
  • Black Karma: A White Ginger Novel
  • It's You
  • A Time of Dying (Araneae Nation, #3)
  • The Delicious Torment (A Story of Submission, #2)
  • The Home Place
  • Community Service (Broken Mirrors, #3)
  • Running Free (Northern Shifters, #5)
  • The Divorce Diet
  • A Dangerous Age
Nicole R. Dickson is a writer residing in North Carolina. Her first novel, Casting Off, was a top ten entry in the first Amazon Breakthough Novel Award. Her second novel, Here and again, will publsh in June 2014.

Nicole R. Dickson's current focus as an author is the American South - its present and its past.

More about Nicole R. Dickson...