Start by marking “Here and Again” as Want to Read:
Here and Again

Here and Again

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Deep in the Shenandoah Valley, the present and the past are as restless as the river mists. And when they collide, the heart is the only compass pointing home.

For nurse Ginger Martin, her late husband’s farm is both a treasured legacy and the harbinger of an uncertain future. Since he was recently killed in Iraq, every day is fraught with grief that won’t abate. Keeping
Published June 3rd 2014 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Here and Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here and Again

Donna
This book didn't work for me. I found this title on a "time-slip" list, thinking this was going to be time travel and it wasn't. It was paranormal and that is not my kind of genre....at all. So, I felt jipped which didn't help.

This was a sweet story, no doubt. I had problems with the descriptions that added only to the word count. That is one of my major pet peeves. I also didn't feel connected to the characters. They were nice, acceptable people, but not particulary memorable...well maybe the
Karen White
Beautifully written, emotionally satisfying, this book combines what I guess would be contemporary women's fiction (subjects of family, parenting, identity) with historical fiction (Civil War in Virginia) in a wonderfully creative way.
One of those books where I had to stop recording during the final chapters to blow my nose because I was crying so much! Didn't want to leave the world Dickson created....
Gabby-Lily Raines
Received Here and Again as a GoodReads First Read.

I started reading the book the day I received the book in the mail and couldn't put it down. It encompasses timeless themes for me: hopes, dreams, love, family, friendship, and....continuity with a sprinkling of tradition and roots.

It is also a story of how things may not turn out as expected, yet bring new perspectives to long standing problems.

Having a deep appreciation of Civil War history, I also enjoyed how Ms. Dickson wove some of it in a
Meg - A Bookish Affair
In "Here and Again," Ginger really wants to keep her husband's family farm in the Virginia countryside after he is killed in action in Iraq. She wants her three children to be able to grow up on the farm as was her husband's dream. The reality is that Ginger doesn't have enough money to keep the farm afloat nor does she know how to effectively run a farm. She's losing hope of being able to keep the farm when a ghost (of all things) appears to her. Samuel is a ghost from the Civil War (although h ...more
Sharon Mccumber
received this book through a giveaway and I'm not gunna lie, I was nervous as hell to start it. Normally I don't like the "Housewife books" , you know what I mean, the love and sap just don't appeal to me.
So after I got this book it took me a while to actually get up the nerve to read it. So after about a week of it sitting on my shelf I thought... with you don't read if you don't take chances... I cracked open the front cover and paged through the title pages, signed page and the acknowledgmen
Julie Barrett
Here and Again by Nicole R. Dickson
Have read the author's other works and loved the book and am looking forward to this book. It's a tale about the woods and trails which I strive to get to on the weekends.
We have traveled to the area of Shenandoah and have enjoyed it but didn't explore much about the battles. This book is about a family, a mother and her three children and they live on the mother in laws farm in Virginia.
She is a nurse and travels to work some shifts quite a distance from home.
DL
The writing in this book hooked me in from the very start - Ms. Dickson has a beautifully lyrical way of writing and I felt there was so much symbolism within the pages, that now having finished I realize this is one of those books that would be well worth rereading to catch all the things I missed the first time around. I think this book would make a perfect book club read - so much rich food for discussion. I loved her characters - so many but all serving a great purpose within the story. Deal ...more
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kim

his is one book you have to really pay close attention to because it goes back and forth to the here and now to back when but it totally makes the book. This is a heartbreaking story that eventually mends the hearts of the characters and readers alike. To lose a love and to try to carry on when they are gone is hard enough but when you try to do it raising kids and working and trying to keep your love’s dream alive it’s ne
Pammy
A deeply satisfying novel that touches on many subjects of personal interest: American history, battlefields, families in crisis, heroine as a registered nurse, a mystery,the challenges of life 'down on the farm', etc.
The recently widowed mother of three,her mother-in-law, and curious stranger who appears in their lives are just a few of the characters that Ms Dickson effectively creates and with whom you will instantly bond.
Be sure you finish this often bittersweet story by reading the author's
Jane
Here and Again combines love, loss, joy, family, community, duty and loyalty with an element of historical mixed in, as only a story about the South where the Civil War is part of the heritage. Ginger Moon is living on her late husband's family farm with Grandma Osbee, when deep i n despair she sees Samuel, a Civil War Soldier lost without his ending. Blending his story with her story they come together to save the farm for her three children, she learns to live and share in new ways more in kee ...more
Chris
I got a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review - full review on twoclasschics.com

I am not so sure I even have the words to describe the depth the author has created with this story but I am going to try. Here and Again is a book about love and overcoming heartbreak. A book about family; the love and giving of others, for others. It is an amazing book of parallel lives that will bring you to tears in many areas.

I started this book with a bit of confusion. At first, it was hard to real
Judy Collins
Nichole R. Dickson’s HERE AND AGAIN, is a beautiful novel of loss, love, redemption, and finding your way home.

Dickson dives into the lives and histories of families, and back to the Civil War, with well-developed characters, drawing readers into a magical world as the novel shifts back and forth between Ginger and Samuel’s POV.

Ginger lost her husband in Iraq and she is raising three children. She is living on a farm where her husband grew up, owned by her husband’s grandmother.

Set deep in the
Tina
At a certain point in a book you have to make a decision whether to finish it or bail. In this case I had enough time invested I decided to stick with it and it would get better. I wish I'd bailed. It just did nothing for me. Single mom and widow of a soldier, struggling to overcome her grief and raise her 3 children encounters Sam, a Civil War ghost. And back and forth it goes throughout the story from Sam's letters to Juliet, to his conversations with the widow and his inability to cross over ...more
Susan
The Author pens "Here and Again" in a plot filled with historic details, heartache, love and healing. A great read although it was a bit hard to follow until I figured out that there was a lot of bouncing from then and now, but once you understood that it went much easier. The Author brings her characters to life realistically. Recommended for all readers.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest review.
Reading Fool
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.

This was a beautifully written book. It has two storylines, one set in the present and the other set during the Civil War. Ginger Martin is a nurse and a widow, mourning her husband's death while serving as a soldier in Iraq. Samuel Annanais is a Confederate soldier whose story is told through his letters to his wife Juliette. Ginger's and Samuel's lives are intertwined in a surprising way, and the language used by Nicole Dickson is lyrical,
Gloria
Wonderful read. A nurse with three children is recovering from her husband's death in the mid east. She is visited by a helpful spirit from the Civil War. The story switches from the present with Samuel's spirit helping Ginger save her husband's farm to the past with Samuel writing letters to his sweetheart as he fights in the Shenandoah campaign. Really wonderful merging of history or courage.
Ashlee Nelson
I loved this book. I don't usually write reviews on books but this one makes me feel the need too. The beginning started out slow for me then turned into a book I couldn't put down. The end was a little confusing to me on why it ended where it did, I would recommend reading this book to anyone.
Rhoda Lipphard
I really enjoyed reading this book, the story makes you want to believe good things happen to good people. There are moments that make you cry, but it's necessary for the story. I think you have to be open to the concept that there might be spirits and strange connections can exist.
Tanya
I really liked the premise of the story, that two people separated in time, but not in place, could each perform actions impacting the present of the other person. Well written and interesting, it proved to be a very fast read.
It's more a 3.5 stars. It took me awhile to get into, but once I did I really enjoyed it. I have to say I laughed out loud when Bubba the goat arrived and Rooster the turkey.
Natalie
This was really interesting and different. The characters were captivating and the story flowed well, so I finished it in 3-4 days. This is the second book I read by this author and I liked them both.
Renee
Magical in the manner of The Ghost & Mrs. Muir. Touching story about family love, loss, healing. Gentle but compelling in its own way.
Joan Brinson
I can clearly see and hear Nicole Dickson's characters and visualize their surroundings. The writing is lyrical, and the story is captivating.
Diana McKeon
The story drew me in. I'll admit it was a little hokey at some points and wordy with the battle flashbacks, but a sweet story.
Leah Dunn
I enjoyed reading something a bit out of the norm for me but sometimes felt that passages were a bit flat.
Talena
I really liked this book. It has some real mystery and I got goose bumps a few times.
Cari Cawley
Had a slow start, but by about 1/2 way through had to keep reading to see the outcome
Beth
A bit of a time travel book, which I always like. Nice characters, nice story. Good company as I take my walk at lunch time.
Liz
As it's basis this is a ghost story about a civil war soldier who helps a current day war widow/single mom who lives in virginia, but it's really about family and love. A good novel that honors all those who fight for what they believe in.
Gz Hodges
Awesome books held my attention and more... Thank you ...
  • In the Mirror
  • Fallen
  • The Tell-Tale Heart: A Novel
  • Blowing Off Steam
  • Love Is Red (Nightsong Trilogy #1)
  • Soul Weaver
  • You Can't Make This Stuff Up: Life-Changing Lessons from Heaven
  • Clean Cuisine: An 8-Week Anti-Inflammatory Diet that Will Change the Way You Age, Look & Feel
  • It's You
  • Second Chance Friends
  • Community Service (Broken Mirrors, #3)
  • Silent Impact: Stories of Influence Through Purpose, Persistence, & Passion
  • Window Wall (Glass Thorns, #4)
  • Black Karma: A White Ginger Novel
  • Prescription for Life: Three Simple Strategies to Live Younger Longer
  • Remembering America Looking Back at the Last Innocent Age
  • Carly's Gift
  • The Guilty One
Nicole R. Dickson is a writer residing in North Carolina. Her first novel, Casting Off, was a top ten entry in the first Amazon Breakthough Novel Award. Her second novel, Here and again, will publsh in June 2014.

Nicole R. Dickson's current focus as an author is the American South - its present and its past.

More about Nicole R. Dickson...
Casting Off