Start by marking “Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #7)

Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden #7)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  11,682 Ratings  ·  394 Reviews
Ten years after a killer terrorized Lawrenceton, a movie on the crimes is being made. The case was Aurora Roe Teagarden's first mystery, and her ex who helped solve the case, Robin Crusoe, has written the screenplay. But the real-life script soon takes a deadly turn. Martin's Press.
Published December 1st 2003 by Worldwide Library (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Last Scene Alive, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Syrdarya
Oct 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was the first Aurora Teagarden book I read, and I thought reading the series would make me like the character more, but instead I pretty much detest her. The mystery itself is okay, but Aurora's internal monologue drove me crazy for the entire book. I also really noticed how she's always dressing in shades of yellow, orange, brown, or dark green, and the description of the clothes make her sound like she's twenty years older than she is. The other characters also seemed to dress in these co ...more
Karen B.
I wanted to read this book before watching the TV movie. Although I have read other Aurora Teagarden mysteries I have not necessarily read them in order and with this one I realized the importance of reading them in order to get Aurora's history and the history of the town.
This one reflects back to the first in the series. The story of the first murder mystery Aurora solves is brought back when it is being made into a movie and the movie people come to town.
One of the things I like about A.T. i
The Flooze
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With book 7, Charlaine Harris brings Aurora back around full circle. She's single, she's entrenched in the movie version of the events that started the series, and lo and behold, Robin Crusoe is back on the scene. But although there are many similarities between Roe then and Roe now, we're keenly aware of how much she's changed. By her own admission, she's a kick butt rich widow who's not afraid to be blunt and more than a little eccentric.

As always, one thing never changes: Roe is a mini murde
Jim
The last one available at this time, it's better than the rest, but I wouldn't suggest reading them out of order. You can, but there is a lot of history to catch up on. She did much better at creating a mystery & not just one, yet still kept the same style. It's not quite the same kind of candy book as the first of the series & certainly showed her maturing as a writer. It's still light & engaging, a fun read with no pretensions to be anything else. A good mystery with a bit more rom ...more
Lori
Mar 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe if I'd started with the first one of this series I would have liked this one, but it was definitely a disappointment. The main character is rather pathetic, constantly talking about her "independence" while turning to various men in her life and being rescued by other women. The mystery isn't terribly mysterious, even with multiple killers/plots. This one just isn't my cup of tea.
Xulieta NeveraDeLibros
Tras el dramático final del anterior libro de la saga estaba deseando leer más de mi carismática Roe. Estaba intrigada sobre todo por el camino por la que la llevaría la escritora y como haría que afrontase cada uno de los obstáculos puestos en medio tras la tragedia...

En este séptima entrega los habitantes de la localidad de Lawrenceton se ven obligados a revivir los asesinatos llevados a cabo en el primer libro "Unos asesinatos muy reales" ya que el caótico y excéntrico mundo de Hollywood deci
Deanne
Quick read which I found by chance in the library. Read the previous books in the series and what I like is that Aurora's life isn't perfect, and she doesn't make ridiculous leaps of reasoning when solving a crime. Often it's a chance encounter or a conversation, or in some cases a blow on the head.
Kelly
Jan 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Rating: 1.5 stars
Amy
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving Aurora’s adventures still on book 7! Can’t wait to begin book 8! Already starting to feel anxious about what I’ll do after I finish book 10!
Kelly-Marie
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
5 star... what can I say there's a reason she's my favourite author!
Aaron
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aurora Teagarden's past is back to haunt her, and this time it is preparing to go onto the small screen. Roe's first opportunity to deal with murder first-hand was when she was in the Real Murders group, a number of local residents of Lawrenceton, Georgia, with an interest in true crime. Things got a little out of hand when certain members decided to make true crime something more to read about. Those adventures made up the first book in this series, Real Murders.

Robin Crusoe, famed author and o
Delonda
May 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
About a year has passed since Roe's husband Martin passed away after a heart attack. In this book, Harris revisits indirectly "Real Murders", the first Aurora Teagarden mystery, with the events of that story being filmed for a television miniseries in Lawrenceton. On the scene are Robin Crusoe, a mystery writer upon whose works the film is based. Oh, by the way, Robin had also been interested in Roe at the time but subsequent events had put an end to any real relationship. Also, Martin's son, Ba ...more
Punk
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, mystery
An Aurora Teagarden Mystery. The seventh to be precise. Roe's caught up in grieving her loss from the last book; meanwhile, a movie based on the book based on the murder from the first book of—lean into it—the Aurora Teagarden series is being filmed in town, and Roe can't get a moment of peace. Then, wouldn't you know it, there's a murder on the set.

But the murder doesn't happen until about halfway through the book. This is more about Roe than it is about the mystery, and since Charlaine Harris
Karen A. Wyle
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rounding up considerably, but I prefer that to rounding down.

I haven't read all or even most of this series, but Harris makes it fairly easy to dive in anywhere. I assume that readers who have followed the series and read all the books in order will find more depth and interest in the characters than I did, but I found the characters, and the book as a whole, entertaining and occasionally intriguing.

I leave it to those who have lost a spouse or other life partner to decide how well Harris po
Imogen
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 21
This book was great! I was on shaky ground with this series after the fifth and sixth books but Last Scene Alive blew me out of the water. It may be my favourite one of the series. The plot was great, there were believable and clever sub-plots and the writing was on form.

It's set around the murder of one of the cast, of the movie based on Aurora's life- and I love anything to do with acting and movies and TV and directing. It's one of my fantasy jobs to act so I really loved reading about it fro
Dawn Michelle
3 1/2 Stars

Good read. I like this series so much! even with how unhappy I was at the end of the last book (yes, I CRIED, even though, early on in the book, I wondered if they were going to go that route), I love this series!!

Aurora is moving on. Not easily, but slowly she is coming back to life. But the re-appearance of Robin Crusoe (and a Hollywood menagerie making a movie based on his book about the 1st book in the series murders...get that??) and her almost instant re-attraction to him throws
Tatiana
Aurora is now widowed for almost a year. She is sad but ready to move on with her life. Suddenly, her long-gone love interest Robin Crusoe shows up in Lawrenceton for the filming of TV series based on his book about the murders narrated in the first Aurora Teagarden mystery "Real Murders." Martin's son Barrett appears in Roe's life too as he has a small role in the series. Filming goes on as scheduled; our heroine gets a taste of Hollywood; everything is exciting. That is until an actress who pl ...more
Sallee
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This Aurora Teagarden mystery takes up after Roe becomes a widow. As she is still going through stages of grief and missing her deceased husband, she finds that her life has become somewhat sterile. When an old friend, Robin Crusoe comes to town along with a film crew to shoot the story of the murders Roe and her true crime book club were involved in, she finds herself unwillingly drawn into the process. When the star chosen to portray Roe is murdered, she finds herself involved in the who and ...more
Ishtar
Un libro más lento que los anteriores que tenían como protagonista a Roe Teagarden, pero es que era necesario. Roe tiene que superar muchas cosas y eso no es fácil, así que en este libro sacrificamos un poco de acción para verla evolucionar, sentir... y se agradece. Después de 7 libros ya me parece que Roe es casi de la familia y francamente el anterior libro me gustó más bien poco, primero porque Roe ni parecía ella misma y luego por el acontecimiento final, que me cabreó mucho. Así que me aleg ...more
Michelle Wardhaugh
before: This is the reason I read books in a specific order. I might not ever open this one up if it weren't "next on the stack," even though I've had it for over two years. After #6, I'm not sure why the author decided to go forward with this character.
after: This was as good as #'s 1-5. I still cannot forgive the 6th book, but I'm not the forgiving type. I guess for some people grief is just another part of life and not the perminantly soul crushing experience I've always found it. Still, I re
Evey Morgan
Reseña completa: http://capitulo-26.blogspot.com.es/20...

Decepcionada me he quedado tras su lectura. Esta no es una saga que haya comenzado a leer desde el principio y aunque se pueda leer de forma independiente he sentido desconexión con sus personajes.

De todos modos no le daré una oportunidad a la saga, aunque sí a la autora con su saga de vampiros a ver si la cosa mejora en esa.
The Cats Mother
The 3rd book of the 2nd omnibus finds Aurora recovering from losing her husband, and finding something new to get upset about - a movie crew has come to Laurencetown to make a film of Robin Crusoe's book about the murders featured in the first book in the series. It's more of the same smalltown observations, Roe getting all moralistic and judgemental, and solving the murder mystery again, and of course men falling in love with her despite her really odd taste in clothes and glasses...
Jennifer Hill
Jun 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Kristina
I read this just to finish the series. I had been buying the books, but I stopped with this one because I didn't want to waste anymore money on them. In fact, I've given them all away to a friend. Roe is one of my least favorite Charlaine Harris characters ever. This series is subpar.
Emahar
Aurora drives to the motel to meet Robin and the others for dinner; they depart for dinner in a van; Robin and Aurora leave the dinner in a cab, which takes Aurora to her home.
Next morning Aurora gets in her car and drives to the movie set.

Are there editors for paperback books?
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)
More of a 3.5 because it got back to what I really enjoyed from books 1 to 3. I also feel like bringing back Robin as love interest for Aurora helped lighten her back up as a character. More fun than the last few, that's for damned sure.
Nancy
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cozy Mystery Readers
Shelves: charlaine-harris
Read this series while recovering from foot surgery. Perhaps I've OD'd on the character at this point but this particular story was too much same-o, same-o for me.
Tombraiderka009
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Od śmierci Martina minął już rok i Aurora w miarę się pozbierała po stracie małżonka. Jej rutyna wciąż jest ta sama: praca - dom. Do tego mieszkanie na uboczu nie pomaga wkręcić się znów w życie miasteczka. Do czasu, gdy scenarzyści z Hollywood postanawiają nakręcić serial na podstawie książki dawnego przyjaciela Roe - Robina Crusoe. A co jeszcze dziwniejsze, ma to być serial o niej i o Robinie w rolach głównych.
Całe Lawrenceton jest zachwycone i podekscytowane tym, że gwiazdy Hollywoodu przybę
Lisa
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing's fine...2.5 Aurora (the protagonist) is not...1, maybe 2 stars. Just can't get into her personality or her outlook on life. She matured a bit for this one, but she's still rather whiny for her age, not to mention foolish, considering her former membership in a murder club. If the reader can see these things coming from a mile away, how can she not?

Roe's ex from many years ago, Robin, has returned from Hollywood to look in on his book (about Aurora and the murder club and their small
  • The Ghost and the Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby, #7)
  • Espresso Shot (Coffeehouse Mystery, #7)
  • Crime Seen (Psychic Eye Mystery, #5)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
  • The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Hex Marks the Spot (A Bewitching Mystery, #3)
  • Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)
  • Swan for the Money (Meg Langslow, #11)
  • The Lies That Bind (A Bibliophile Mystery, #3)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Duke (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #2)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Dust to Dust (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #7)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris

Aurora Teagarden (10 books)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
  • Sleep Like a Baby (Aurora Teagarden, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Color Me Murder (Pen & Ink)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fight Dirty (Renegade Justice, #1)
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Professor (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99
“As it was, I couldn't escape the feeling that I was out of my element. I found myself thinking of a book I'd left half-read at home and wishing I'd stuck it in my purse so I could pull it out now.” 27 likes
“He looked like he'd just seen the Ghost of You Better Shut Your Mouth...” 8 likes