Start by marking “Investing Demystified: How to Invest Without Speculation and Sleepless Nights” as Want to Read:
Investing Demystified: How to Invest Without Speculation and Sleepless Nights

Investing Demystified: How to Invest Without Speculation and Sleepless Nights

Don t spend your time worrying whether you can beat the markets: you don t need to beat them to be a successful investor. By showing you how to build a simple and rational portfolio and tailor it to your specific needs, "Investing Demystified "will help you generate superior returns.With his straightforward and jargon-free advice, Lars Kroijer simplies the often complex wo ...more
Published June 15th 2014 by FT Publishing International (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Investing Demystified, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Investing Demystified

Start your review of Investing Demystified: How to Invest Without Speculation and Sleepless Nights
Przemek
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main question posed by the book is about having an investing edge. Many people think they have it but the great majority of investors do not and the book makes a compelling argument about it. Do you believe markets are efficient? It turns out it's very hard to beat the S&P 500 index, even for professional investors. If you don't have an edge and markets are efficient what to do?
Get a cheap index / ETF tracker that gives you wide exposure (ideally worldwide) that is tax-efficient and you're d
Blue Phoenix
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unlike other reviews, I am making my own takeaways through my lense as someone who works with computers a lot (lol...) with the 2 keywords: decentralization (diversification) , grid-computing (wisdom of crowds). But overall, this book "teaches" people to accept the fact that most of us cannot beat the market, then recommend us to put the money in creating a good portfolio and finally forget about it (smart investors = free investors) ==> a good read with just 250 pages.

1. Decentralization (Dive
Julian Bu
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
former hedge fund manager says the average people should invest in low-cost index funds, globally diversified, using both bonds and equity.
Steve O'neill
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
The idea in this book is really good. Just get a world equities index tracker and use this with a bond fund domiciled in your own currency and you are good to go. Just split money between these two products based on your risk profile.

There is as per one comment above too much information beyond this point.
Travis
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is way too long. It has some basic points and it endlessly repeats the same information.
Mujtaba Moosavi
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book really does simplify the whole investing process for those who don't have much time on their hands to learn the complete ins and outs of investing to generate wealth. It quickly establishes the fact that the average investor does not have the necessary information to claim to hold an edge in the market. The book then guides the reader towards setting up a simple investment strategy to capitalize on this principle, creating what it calls a "rational" portfolio.

For a person like me with
Antony
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't have much to add that I didn't write in my review of How to Own the World: A Plain English Guide to Thinking Globally and Investing Wisely, because as I see it, this is a logical continuation / complement, with a little more rigour for the deeply curious and / or sceptical.

The overall philosophy is very similar (wide diversification, set-and-forget, avoid trading fees), with some very interesting deeper detail for those who are willing to invest a bit more time, thought, and effort, in o
Phoom Pentrakul
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comforting for an investor with no edge

+Simple concepts which holds for investors with no edge
+Thorough maths workthroughs - which makes the arguments more credible and understandable

-However still very US/Eurocentric, the investment product landscape for investors native to emerging markets may be very different. For example this book recommends not investing in funds with fees over 0.6% per year. But in thailand the cheapest world equity product is around 1.1% currently.
-I am not suggesting th
Luka Nikolic
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully written book, enjoyed every single bit of it (although it took me a while to read because of work)

I would highly recommend this book to anyone seeking to learn about investing, BUT, not as their first book on investing! This is solely because it is so well researched that there is too much to take in at once (essentially my critique is a compliment lol)

Overall, a very well written book!
David Catlin
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and surprisingly easy-to-read book to guide the reader through the most grounded investing logic I’ve read for some time. I even understood 95% of it. 🙂

It’s not a ‘get rich quick’ kind of book, and I can’t vouch for the results yet either but I will adopt these simple and sensible principles and see how I do.

Lots of light-bulb moments, so it’s worthy of 5 stars.
Jon Game
Simple advice

This book will help most investors implement a cheap and well diversified portfolio. It has convinced me to make a World ETF a major plank in my SIPP, but I still feel focussing part of the portfolio on fast growing sectors and regions will nudge my total returns up.
Robert Pocock
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Encourages the reader to think methodically about the decision making processes in putting together an investment portfolio. At approx. 250 pages it is also quite a concise read. Highly recommended.
Muin Rahman
great book on passive investing especially the writer gave great importance on ETFs
Paul Mullan
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great financial primer with a clear and easy to understand message
Wiliam
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Good information but repetitive explanations. Could be way shortened.
Peter
Fascinating. A former hedge fund manager writes.
Joux
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
The book's main philosophy is constantly broken down and reiterated throughout the chapters so it is good for beginner's or someone who wants to a simple investing portfolio. It was quite a light read and had a key takeaways and specific financial products to look at. I would have appreciated better editing (many typos, spotted a labelling error of a graph and could be more concise!) for one and also model portfolios (e.g. putting the rational portfolio through previous data over a period of tim ...more
Joe
Marisa
May 17, 2020
Stanislavs Cekalins
Dec 22, 2019

• How to Own the World: A Plain English Guide to Thinking Globally and Investing Wisely
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Smarter Investing: Simpler Decisions for Better Results
  • The Complete Guide to Property Investment: How to survive & thrive in the new world of buy-to-let
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio: How a Simple Portfolio of Three Total Market Index Funds Outperforms Most Investors with Less Risk
  • Mindful Money
  • The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail—But Some Don't
  • Money: A User’s Guide
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • A Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time-Tested Strategy for Successful Investing
  • The Psychology of Money
  • Stop Saving Start Investing: Ten Simple Rules for Effectively Investing in Funds
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • Bruegel: Colour Library
  • Stuart England
  • Operation Barras: The SAS Rescue Mission, Sierra Leone 2000

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Long-term bonds compensate investors for interest-rate risks by offering higher yields and you have the further benefit of matching the timing of your assets and needs.” 0 likes