Start by marking “Girl Underground” as Want to Read:
Girl Underground

Girl Underground

Trying to fit in at a posh new school is really hard when your loving and lovable family also happen to be criminals. Bridget is succeeding pretty well and has even made a friend, Menzies, the son of the federal Minister for National Development. Then she finds out about Menzies' penfriend, Jamal, a refugee kid from Afghanistan held in a detention centre. When daring appea ...more
Published June 7th 2004 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about Girl Underground, please sign up.
Em Rose No i didn't. It got really boring for me in the end. The book was just way to slow for me to keep up with.

SargeBarge
Nov 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was a pile of poo. It was shallow, Inconsistent and repetitive. Honestly i dont think we have to hear about what country every single inanimate object is from. The characters are unrealistic and boring. It teaches kids that there is only one side to every argument that is right. In the book the adults are always the "Bad Guys" and seem like a typical villain. They make it seem like the government is bad and must be the villain. The kids also pull of impossible feats such as sneaking in ...more
Nandar
May 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If I wasn't forced by my "hateful" English teacher to read a book in the library. I would have never read this book. I loved it! I seriously fell in love with the character. And it makes me think of what I can do to those people. They shouldn't be locked up like animals! Aussie classic!
Rosieglow60
May 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
i loved it
it was sad
funny
and really interesting
and it reminds you how lucky we are
Jess
Jun 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
I had to read this book for school and found it really boring and dull but that was just me. It was interesting about the assylem seekers though.
Melanie
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
*takes a deep breath* WHAT THE HELL??!! msDGajrhkhjbjhjdjhngb I am sooo disappointed in this book! Like Boy Overboard was ledgendary, and now you give me this??? I can't even explain how depressed and ugggg... i cant even get to the point. If you loved Boy Overboard, in my opinion, your going to get real damn shocked at this.
Anna Davidson
A funny adventure story with some serious undertones that are very relevant in Australia today - the treatment of refugees. Morris Gleitzman is the master of writing about difficult subject matter in a light-hearted way that still honours the seriousness of such topics. Themes of friendship, loyalty and standing up for what you believe in.
Lynne
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the writing of Morris Gleitzman. He's not only entertaining, he writes about social justice issues in a way that's easily accessible to children. This book deals with asylum seeker children in detention, highlighting the fact that even the kids in our society are capable of seeing injustice and calling it out for what it is.
WakenPayne
Nov 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book to me is to books what Michael Moore's movies are to documentaries. It feels like we are forced to think "oh those poor kids in those detention centers. We must help them." I read this in grade 8 and the bait Morris Gleitzman seems to throw out seemed to have worked on every kid in my class. There is a reason why The Australian Government won't let in people from Afghanistan (or any place like that), whereas this book says that there really is no reason why people are locked up in dete ...more
Apr 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt irritated by the author's obvious ulterior motive, ie to 'educate' kids about the issue of assylum seekers in australia. And in any case I thought he presented the issue in a very biased and one-sided way. I don't profess to know much about the issue or have an opinion on it either way but the whole way through I kept thinking "I want to hear the other side of the story." The kids were made out to be the goodies and the adults were The Baddies, so whenever the kids asked the adults questi ...more
Carla Matthews
May 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Disappointing. Loved Two Weeks with the Queen but this was too political and too unrealistic. Shallow characters and an unbelievable narrative that trivialised the issue more than making a political statement.
Sally
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Sweet story of a young girl who tries to do the right thing. With a friend she makes at her new school, she tries to help refugees who are kept in a prison-like environment and the story is how she tries to help them without getting her family in trouble.
Gabby
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
This book is really good. It is about a girl called Bridget and a boy called Menzies on their mission to free 2 refugee kids from a refugee detention center. I really like how Bridget and Menzies don't give up on their mission even though they wen through much trouble on their journey.
Nikita
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was an ok book, it was exciting, but it was quite boring sometimes!
Reading-Girl2
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Introduces more to 'boy overboard' and shows what one person can do if they feel passionate enough.
Kayla.M.F
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Morris Gleitzman-Pure Genius
Mia Jade
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pharlap
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Girl from a family involved in not perfectly legal business enters an expensive private school. Her main (only) concern is that she may reveal a murky nature of her father's business to the world.
In the boarding house she meets a son of a politician, who (son not the father) is concerned with well being of children living in a refugees camp. No, it is not Manus Island, it is in Australian outback, year 2004. What struck me is that in the book mail posted in the Australian outback reached Canberr
Rowena
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my second Morris Gleitzman read. My 12-year-old daughter and I listened to the audiobook, which was narrated in true Aussie. This fitted with being set in Australia. The leading lady, Bridget White, is 12 years old but this would be more of interest to 10-year-old girls or boys.
As New Zealanders, we have heard of the Detention Centres that Australia has used to cope with its perceived refugee problem. It would be interesting for fair-minded children.
Najma
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
really interesting book, leads on from boy overboard but it was a gr8 story about refugees, politican, and the measures a father would do to save his family.
Sylvia
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Kurang gregetnya dibanding Boy Overboard. Mungkin saya yang lagi gak mood, atau memang ceritanya gak asik, tapi setelah beberapa chapter kok ya bosan ya?

Anyway, ini tentang seorang anak yang orang tuanya kriminal. Mereka menjual barang-barang black market lah gitu. Trus Bridget, si anak, di sekolahin di sebuah asrama dan bertemu dengan anak mentri, Menzies. Mereka pun berteman. Menzies ini terobsesi dengan detention center yg ada di Australia, yaitu tempat para pengungsi dilokalisasi. Menzies k
Herapia
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Category: None.
My sister was reading this book and I just flicked through to see what it was about. From the cover it doesn't look much but I loved this book! I never thought it would be any good but i totally loved it. Its such a strange but amazing book and tells life from a really different perspective. After reading his novel I searched for more. He is an a great author who could give anyone a new outlook on life. His ability to create characters who blow you away is something special. Read
Sarah Randall
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
A companion novel/ sequel to 'Boy Overboard', 'Girl Underground' tells the story of Bridget, who is sent to boarding school by her parents to protect her from their 'life of crime' and instead becomes swept up in the attempt to free two children in a detention centre. Once again Gleitzman has perfectly captured the perspective of a child, adding humour to simultaneously free yet remind the reader of the seriousness of the situation.
Jaime R
I am not even half way, and already many exciting and interesting things have occurred. I really like the story line and where the book has taken me. I love to be able to visualize the situations and descriptions during the chapters and there are times where I don't want to stop turning the pages. I can't wait to read more!
Ester
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
I mostly feel as if this is a sequel of the book "boy overboard" when Jamal and Bibi come to Australia from a long trip. But I didn't quit like these books they were pretty boring and I didn't feel like continue the book. I excepted a lot more from the book I wished that there was more describing do I could understand the environment or how they felt.

I give this book a 2/5
Tanja
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Companion book to Boy Overboard, with Bibi and Jamal now being in an Australian detention center. The main focus is on the friends on the outside who are desperately trying to get them out. Interesting topic but I got a bit tired of reading about Bulgarian game boys, Armenian toasters etc.
Twixxy
May 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Crap. We sorta don't need more people to populate our country and take our money
Karen Marababol
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was ok but I would like it to be a bit better
Jess
Apr 11, 2013 added it
Great story line. The book talks about detention centres, crime and just plain mischief. Love this book!!
Lauren Mitchell
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was a good read. I think there are a few politicians who need to be checking out the YA section of their local bookshop for this.
Tahlia
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Have not read it all yet
  • The Amethyst Child
  • Missing Abby
  • Toppling
  • Hiding Edith: A True Story
  • Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight
  • Bookmark Days (Girlfriend Fiction, #9)
  • Wicked!
  • The Not Quite Perfect Boyfriend
  • The Ark
  • The Story of Tom Brennan
Morris began his writing career as a screenwriter, and wrote his first children's novel in 1985. His brilliantly comic style has endeared him to children and adults alike, and he is now one of Australia's most successful authors, both internationally and at home. He was born in England in 1953 and emigrated to Australia in 1969 so he could escape from school and become a Very Famous Writer.

Before