Start by marking “Ruined (The Eternal Balance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ruined (The Eternal Balance, #1)

Ruined (The Eternal Balance #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,034 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
Hell is looking for a way to break loose…

Jax lost the genetic lottery. Descended from Cain, the world's first murderer, he's plagued by a curse that demands violence in exchange for his happiness. He left everything behind, including the girl he loved, but thriving on the pain of others is lonely… And it's killing him.

After a series of heartbreaking losses, Samantha put ru
Published December 30th 2013 by Entangled Publishing (Embrace)

To ask other readers questions about Ruined, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruined

Deena Graves
Dec 28, 2013 Deena Graves rated it really liked it
I’m just gonna come out and say it: If you have even the smallest soft spot for Daemon and Katy, you are gonna LOVE Jax and Sam. I’ve read some of Jus’s other novels and RUINED is by far my favorite. A twisted plot, realistic characters, and some major ‘kiss or punch’ chemistry that keeps you flipping pages.

Jax, a descendant of Cain, is one serious dude to be reckoned with. With a violence craving demon living inside him, Jax has to go to some serious ends in order to keep the demon fed and sat
Sylvia
Dark, intoxicating, demonic, sexy, action packed, thrilling, exciting and every bit raw and RAWR! This book had me absolutely enthralled and captivated, and feeling all kinds of different emotions as I read along. It's a brilliantly written story that is definitely different and every bit as exciting and mysterious.

Ruined isn't your average story about Demon possession. In fact, Jus Accardo has cleverly used the story of Cain and Abel and modernised it, but not as a re-telling. She exceptionall
Mariℓina
Dec 28, 2013 Mariℓina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc
4,5 Stars for this greedy, intoxicating book.
I loved it! Sam and Jax are not just your everyday couple. They are hot, smart, a little cynical, funny and Jax is a bit of a demon!

As in real demon! He has one living inside him his whole life, Azirak, and he demands from Jax to kill his twin brother Chase constantly. After too much pressure on him at the age of 17 Jax decides to leave from his town, to save his brother and the girl he loves, Sam!

Sam never forgave Jax for his abrupt departure shortly
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
Ruined was a very different take on demons, Cain and Abel, and on how the choices we make can make a difference for so many more people than those we take into account at the time we make those choices.

COYER scavenger hunt item #64 : Read a book you've won in a giveaway (4 points)

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Sana Zameer
Jan 15, 2016 Sana Zameer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, fantasy, new-adult, demons
I loved the unique plot of Ruined. A demonic twist to the story of Abel and Cain, it's dark, twisted and steamy!
Chelsea Ballinger
Nov 12, 2014 Chelsea Ballinger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
This book was everything! Its one of my favorites now. There was passion, suspense, thrill, and originality and I loved every part of it. Sam was a fantastic heroine, probably one of my favorites and Jax was everything. Seriously, check out this book. I need the second book now!
Paula
I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A good paranormal romance isn’t easy to find. It takes a lot of creativity and talent on the part of the author and the more elaborate the story is, the harder it gets.
Jus Accardo definitely doesn’t have a problem to get it right.
With “Ruined” she shows how it should be done, how to perfectly blend reality and fantasy and make it appear real to the reader.

The story and characters have blown me away. The plot was as unique as it wa
Desa
Entre 3,5 y 4 estrellas

He disfrutado mucho el libro aunque me haya faltado un algo, creo que el que las relaciones estén ya tan establecidas desde el principio le ha restado algo de puntos.

Sin embargo, la historia me ha gustado mucho, el tema paranormal de los demonios con ese toque a lo Supernatural me ha enganchado desde el principio y casi no hay un momento de respiro. A ver qué tal el segundo libro y ojalá vayan saliendo más autoras que se adentren en lo paranormal y new adult (de momento y
Lindy
Oct 17, 2013 Lindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-review
My Thoughts:

The premise of the main character Jax, descending from, Cain, completely intrigued me. Most of the New Adult books available on the market right now are contemporary, so I was really excited to dig in to a New Adult Paranormal story. This was the first book, I read by Jus Accardo. I loved it, and am highly anticipating the next installment in this series.

Jax and Chase are identical twin brothers, but appear to be complete opposites in temperament and personality. Jax carries a demon
Feb 19, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Rabidreading
**Find this and other reviews at The Demon Librarian**

One Helluva Dark & Sexy Ride

Wow. Author Jus Accardo just took all of my expectations, lined them up in a pretty row, and blew 'em right out of the water. I might actually drown in all the awesomeness. Quick, someone throw me a life preserver!

I'm joking, but not really. Ruined was an insanely enjoyable read that contained everything I could ever ask for in a book. Action, romance, fantastic characters, great world-building, a steady stre
Michelle Pickett
Jan 04, 2014 Michelle Pickett rated it it was amazing
Okay, if you’ve read my blog for any amount of time you’ve probably noticed a theme when it comes to my reviews. I only post reviews of books I like. First, because—big surprise—I like them and think you might like them too. And second, because I don’t like posting bad reviews. I know how much work goes into writing a book and how personal an author’s work becomes. I don’t want to write a review, which are always subjective, that may be considered negative. After all, what I don’t like, you may ...more
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
Review Incoming.I got a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

For Jax, Demons are real and not just something that haunts him from his past. Jax has lost the lottery and because of his family history he has descended from Cain and has a demon living inside of him. The demon wants nothing more then to murder his own brother. Unable to do it, Jax leaves everything behind including happiness and the only girl he ever loved.

Heartbroken, Samantha run
Teresa Mary Rose
Oct 01, 2013 Teresa Mary Rose rated it really liked it
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

When I picked this book up I was in a major reading slump, probably my worst yet. With me being very busy at work I didn’t have time to read and then I just never got the desire to read anything. When I finally made myself pick up a book again I was so glad it was Ruined. I finished this in one sitting and it kicked that slumps butt. I love paranormal reads and I especially love when they are mixed with New Adult, because those are few and far betw
Danielle (is feeling overwhelmed)
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

RUINED was a really fun read. Sexy and action-packed it cleverly used the story of Cain, the world’s first murderer and brought it into the 21st century where we meet Jax, a young man whose life has been blighted by the Mark of Cain.

When Cain murdered his brother Abel he committed the ultimate sin and because it was so heinous his descendents must carry the burden in the form of a demon that inhabits their bodies and wrestles every day with their cons
Emma
Oct 01, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it
I fell in love with this book as soon as I read the synopsis and saw the cover. I am happy to say it didn’t disappoint, surpassing my expectations completely; and believe me, I had high expectations.

The concept is unique and expertly executed, weaving the biblical tale of Cain and Abel into a modern-day setting with an ingenious twist involving the battle of good versus evil. Not only on a large-scale but also on a personal level with the choices we face in our everyday lives and the decisions w
Mutmainna
ALSO CROSS POSTED ON MY BLOG.
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Whew! I didn't think I would finish it in a day, but I did and I'm glad! Great book! :)

As for the plot, the connection with Cain and Abel was really interesting. I can't remember the last time I had read a book going on that route. It's interesting and refreshing to read.

I like the narrating points of view in the book. The pov of Jax and Sam make it easier to understand and delve into the story all the more. It also helped me to understand the
Cami
"My life was twisted. The more misery I caused people, the happier the demon was"

Let's started saying that this book had so much potential to be awesome but stayed in good (or maybe just good enough)
I picked up this book because someone told me it was similar to the Lux Saga by JLA; that saga is one of my most favorite sagas ever, and I just love JLA so much that I had to read this if it was similar.
Turns out it wasn't nothing like it; yes Jax had a similar personality to Damon, but just at t
NightlyReading
Dec 13, 2013 NightlyReading rated it it was amazing
Jus has done it again.....

oops i did it again photo: oops i did it again oops.gif

Jus has created an awesome storyline and amazing (I mean hawt!) characters that I have fallen completely in love with! As I expected, I was done for after the first chapter and sucked into the world of Cain & Abel.

An awesome storyline....
The descendents of Cain & Abel. This makes for an exciting read! Jus kept me on my toes trying to figure out the who done it ! It was intriguing the way that she had incoorporated the "demons" into the story.
I do not care
Angie
Dec 20, 2013 Angie rated it liked it
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

Ruined was interesting. Jax is tainted, and a descendant of Cain. What this ultimately means is that he shares his body with a demon and has uncontrollable urges for violence. He's stayed away from his hometown for three years, because he was going to kill his twin. His brother is the person his demon hates the most, of course. But he comes back when he learns that his uncle is dying, but he stays when he finds out that the girl he loves is being stalked by de
Farrah
Dec 27, 2013 Farrah rated it it was amazing
A dark, thrilling, and engaging New Adult romance. Ruined was an absolutely brilliant read. I loved this book! It was just amazing. From the wonderful characters, to the action, to the shocking secrets, this book was perfection.

Sam was a lovely heroine. She was incredibly strong and determined. Nothing was going to keep her from getting what she wanted and protecting her loved ones. I liked that she wasn't the type of character to needlessly hold a grudge (unlike some), especially once she knew
~Kate~
I received a review copy from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Even though this cover is simple I still love the cover as it looks sinister which is very much in keeping with the story. I love the use of colours as it works well to give it that dark feel about it. What I love is the way the title is covering half of the models face as again that ties in well with the story.

I was looking forward to reading this book as I have read and enjoyed a Jus Accardo book plus that blurb I was ex
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled publishing and Netgalley.)
Jax and his twin Chase are descended from Cain, and Jax lives with a demon inside him who constantly urges him to kill his brother. Throw in a gorgeous girl for the boys to argue over and there is even more trouble.
Which brother does Sam (Samantha) really like? And can she learn to live with his demon?

This was an okay story, but I liked the sexual tension more than an
Merril Anil
Jul 14, 2015 Merril Anil rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
A little slip and it would have justified the title

Fortunately the book still holds the reign tight enough to not let it completely fall off the bandwagon but don’t let that make it sound as if the book is bad. The book to be honest isn’t bad but not that great as well but to be honest every paranormal trilogy starts pretty lukewarm and in a very predictable way which is the same for Ruined too

Ruined begins with your usual paranormal tricks and in fact ends with one too. Everything about the b
Kaitlyn Francis
Dec 26, 2013 Kaitlyn Francis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x, reviewed
you can check out this review here http://silenttbookblog.blogspot.com/2...

Who knew coming back home would lead to even more destruction. Jax left his uncle Rick and his twin brother Chase, because it was the right thing to do. Except of course he left behind someone who meant everything to him, the girl in question is Samantha. After being attacked at school the only thing to do was go home. Even though her aunt has always wanted her to end up with Chase who she never felt connected with. She a
Lisazj1
Dec 30, 2013 Lisazj1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
3.5 stars. I ended up loving this more than I thought I would.

I'm not going to go into the story details too much. I think there was just so much to get through in the beginning, to establish the background...I dunno, I can't really put my finger on it but I just wasn't connecting with the story in the first half. I remember at one point where Sam was thinking (again) of "the thousands of times she had seen Jax" do/act/feel whatever was going on, and I thought "OKAY, I get it, you know each oth
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 06, 2013 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
Believe it or not this is my very first Jus Accado book and what a way to be thrown into her work!

A hot bad boy with a demon tag a long and a steamy sexual tension filled read? Sign me up!

I loved Jax and all his snarkiness, he really was awesome. I have said this before and I will keep saying, I just can't resist those bad boys and Jax, is the ultimate bad boy. No, really, he is. Hello, the boy has a demon living inside him, can't get more “bad boy” than that right?

I am not a huge fan of books a
Inma
Mientras leía el libro pensaba: bien, bien, creo que le daré 4 stars... Pero ha llegado al final y han pasado tantas cositas interesantes que creo que se merece mis 5 estrellitas. También tiene que ver que amo supernatural y todo lo demons related :P.

Tampoco es que sea un libro que digas: OMG no puedo vivir sin él!! (Aka fever), pero me ha mantenido intrigada durante toda la lectura y me ha dejado con ganas de leer el segundo libro y creo que para ser el primero de una saga es un principio muy
Laura Carson
* I received an ARC of this book courtesy of Entangled Publishing, LLC, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest reivew*

5 stars

What a way to start a new series and new to me author! I devoured this book, and loved every minute. The characters, the story, the twists turns and heartbreak all had me hanging on to every word. Smooth transitions between point of views and strong emotions that came off the page mixed with palapble character chemistry left me ready for book 2 and with a neon blinking 5
Jenny - Book Sojourner
Oct 17, 2015 Jenny - Book Sojourner rated it really liked it
'Ruined' was a solid start to this very engaging series. In a world where the descendants of Cain, the world's first murderer, carry a curse, Jax's life has not been easy. Imagine fighting the demon within yourself, trying to do the best you can, but knowing only violence will appease it, and only temporarily? Talk about a tortured existence. I really felt for the guy. But even demon-possessed, I couldn't help but like Jax. Then there's Samantha, the girl he loves but can't be with because of wh ...more
PNR/UF Addicts & ...: November 2016 Young Adult BOTM Ruined 1 21 Nov 01, 2016 06:13PM
+18 scenes ? 1 13 Jul 18, 2014 06:20AM
  • The Deepest Well (Age of Gray, #1)
  • A Date of Godlike Proportions (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2.5)
  • Jordyn and the Caverns of Gloom (A Daemon Hunter, #2)
  • The Devil's Reprise (Devils, #2)
  • Angelsong (Dark Angel, #3)
  • Sun Poisoned (Sunshine #2)
  • Kept
  • Salt (Salt, #1)
  • Dark Wings (The Never Dark, #1)
  • Locked and Loaded (The IMA, #3)
  • Don't Blackmail the Vampire (Sons of Kane, #2)
  • The Guardians Crown Parts One and Two (The Sacred Guardians #4)
  • Where You'll Find Me
  • Courage (Mark of Nexus, #2)
  • Along Came a Spider (Transplanted Tales, #3)
  • Odyssey (The Vampire Destiny Series Companion, #1)
  • Ash to Steele
  • Infinity Chronicles - Part Two (Valkyries: Soaring Raven, #2)
JUS ACCARDO spent her childhood reading and learning to cook. Determined to follow in her grandfather’s footsteps as a chef, she applied and was accepted to the Culinary Institute of America. But at the last minute, she realized her true path lay with fiction, not food.

Jus is the bestselling author of the popular Denazen series from Entangled publishing, as well as the Darker Agency series, and th
More about Jus Accardo...

The Eternal Balance (3 books)
  • Embraced (The Eternal Balance, #2)
  • Released (The Eternal Balance, #3)