Start by marking “Live Like a Narnian: Christian Discipleship in Lewis's Chronicles” as Want to Read:
Live Like a Narnian: Christian Discipleship in Lewis's Chronicles

Live Like a Narnian: Christian Discipleship in Lewis's Chronicles

In Live Like a Narnian Joe Rigney shows that Owen Barfield was right—What C.S. Lewis thought about everything was secretly present in what he said about anything. From apologetics to his thoughts on education, from his view of science to the role of government, from Natural Law to true manhood and womanhood—the breadth of Lewis's bright vision of life shines through in his ...more
Paperback, First, 184 pages
Published September 13th 2013 by Eyes & Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Live Like a Narnian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live Like a Narnian

Start your review of Live Like a Narnian: Christian Discipleship in Lewis's Chronicles
Aaron Ventura
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love Narnia, you will love this book. A joy to read from start to finish. Highly recommend.
Ben Zornes
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
As I’ve read the Narniad over the years, I have often thought that a book needed to be written highlighting the richest and most poignant lessons that Lewis intended to be learned in Narnia. Joe Rigney’s “Live Like a Narnian” is that book. This was an incredibly enjoyable read for any friend of Narnia (or Archenland). However, rumor has it that the Calormenes don’t particularly like this book.
Rigney has masterfully chosen some of the most precious parts and themes in the Chronicles and then la
James Nance
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t think it would be possible for me appreciate Lewis’s Narnia Chronicles more than I already did. But Joe Rigney has succeeded in making me do just that. While this book is packed with helpful insights into living like a Narnian, it’s Rigney’s love for Narnia and C. S. Lewis that really come through to the reader. Thank you, Dr. Rigney!
Aaron Downs
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rigney captures the lessons that Lewis teaches in The Chronicles of Narnia without taking away from the magic and mystery of the stories. He helps the reader understand why they love Narnia, and how to live as much like a Narnian in this world as is possible. His thoughts left me feeling discipled, refreshed, and desiring to know Aslan better in that world, so that I might know Jesus better in this one.
Scott
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great little book on things we can learn from Narnia. A great supplement to McGrath's section on Narnia in his biography of CS Lewis.

Danette
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow! So good!
If you haven't read The Chronicles of Narnia yet, do it! Then you can enjoy this book.
Rigney pulls wonderful lessons out of the Chronicles and Lewis' other writings. I will be reading them again very soon to get a fresh breath of Narnian air.

I especially loved the chapter, "Tirian's Trials and Tragedy - Enduring Deep Doubt and the Soul's Dark Night."
"So then, The Last Battle shows us tragedy and despair. Does it also show us how to endure?
Can it instruct Narnians how to live in th
Becky Pliego
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So many good things can be drawn from this book, but if I had to pick and choose only two, I would choose these sections as my favorite ones:

"I can speak for every one, but breathing this type of Narnian air has a particular effect on me, one that I think Lewis intended...

But more than just awaking my hunger, breathing Narnian air awakens a desire for a particular meal, one with tasty food, good conversation, lots of joy and laughter and revelry and strategizing about how to defeat the White Wi
Clayton Hutchins
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Great. I just finished reading through Narnia for the first time, and then I read this straight after. Joe knows Lewis and is able to masterfully bring out the themes and ideas found in the Narnian books while supplementing it with what Lewis has written elsewhere. Joe doesn't "get in the way" of Lewis by using Lewis as platform to proclaim his own views, nor does he present a piecemeal, imbalanced picture. He not only accurately describes Lewis's ideas but also captures something of Lewis's sty ...more
John
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great, compact, little volume the way in which The Chronicles of Narnia disciples its readers into Christian maturity. Rigney shows how the books prepare the soil for receiving God's Word in the Bible, by preparing readers to think in biblical modes and categories.

It is a sort of companion book to Doug Wilson's "What I Learned in Narnia," which Rigney endorses toward the end. Where Wilson's book is geared toward younger readers, Rigney's is aimed at older readers that will help their c
G.M. Burrow
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The best books on Narnia are the ones that make us want to return to the stories themselves, and Joe Rigney's slim, easy read does just that. He has a number of particularly fine insights, but the one that really sticks with me is this: "Though all of his plans come to naught, Tirian is never without one." - p. 145
Ginger
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: narnia-lewis
I heard Joe Rigney on a podcast about parenting and he was brilliant. I've read and reread the Narnia books, so while I expected to enjoy this, I didn't really expect to gain any new insight. I was quite wrong as this felt like a wonderful guide for citizenship into the Land of Narnia. I thoroughly enjoyed this, and now can't wait to read anything else he's written.
Patience Jones
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I don't know that there really was anything new to me in that most of the things noted wouldn't be a surprise to any thoughtful Narnia lover, but it was good to have them pulled out of the book to think about.

I have a quibble which is perhaps more significant the more I consider it; the author is too ready to call Jesus Aslan. That may sound odd, but I think caution is needed. Aslan is a fictional character who represents Jesus. Jesus is real. Aslan is presented to u
Marc Sims
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent devotional-type of book meditating on the wisdom in Lewis’ Narnia Chronicles. I read this directly after reading through all of them and found it to be immensely beneficial. Much of what Rigney writes on were things I already knew to be true, but wouldn’t have been able to put into words like he did. I would highly recommend this to parents who want to read the Narnia stories to their children and use them as a means of discipleship.
Elizabeth
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
An encouraging read to help Christians remember that they are held between the paws of the true Aslan. The chapter that analyzes Aslan’s rescue of the Dawn Treader party from the Dark Island made me weep. May I never forget that scene or Aslan’s precious admonition of, “Courage, dear heart.”
Abigail
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, wish-list
Definitely a book worth reading! Only i wish i had read it in one sitting instead of over weeks of interruptions. I think i would have gotten more out of it that way. So glad to have finally gotten my hands on it tho (even tho my mom was hiding it from me 😆)
Such a profoundly helpful book. If you have any love for Narnia, and for the Lion, this one is worth your time!
Rachael
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a general rule I don't often review non-fiction titles on here (strangely, I find them too subjective). However, anything that speaks about the sweet truths of Narnia pours right into my soul. This is a great read and a quick one. No Narnia lover could be disappointed, even if it’s just for the pleasure of reading something and saying l
Yes! Yes! Exactly!” the whole time 😁

"It makes me want to pay attention at mealtimes, both to the food on my plate and the friends at the table. It makes me wa
Valerie Kyriosity
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was like a nice, long chat with a friend on topic we both love a whole lot and for much the same reasons. Christian discipleship, training in obedience to Christ's commands, can come via many means. Lewis's storytelling has been among the most effective means in my life, and evidently in Joe Rigney's, as well, and we are both grateful. My side of the chat went something like, Yes, I agree! My thoughts exactly. Huh...never thought of that one. Aha...I'd missed that before! Not to mentio ...more
Conner
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: god, favorites
Helpful and amusing. A must-read for Narnia and Lewis fans, Rigney pulls insights that help reveal the subtle themes present in many of the Narnian storylines and scenes, helping us take what we've seen in Narnia and applying it to our journey in the Christian life, or, by immersing us in Narnian air, helping us to see things in the real world more clearly. Particularly helpful are his explorations of various characters and their qualities.
Homeschoolmama
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This book was better than I expected. The title didn't draw me in at all, I think another title would have been better. The insights Joe Rigney gives on the Chronicles are deep and make me want to re-read all the books! Excellent companion to the series.
Megan Marie
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was not what I expected but I’m glad I pushed myself to read a style of writing I may not normally finish. My favorite parts of the book were the last two chapters the Epilogue and Appendix. The Appendix was a fun surprise. It makes me want to reread the series again. 😊
Lukas Mason
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rigney has rekindled a desire in me to enter the wardrobe once more and breathe Narnian air. So many fresh insights begging to be ratified by another reading of the Chronicles. I’ll have to oblige soon.
Joshua Lister
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a good book for anyone who wants an introduction or insight into how CS Lewis teaches truth through Narnia. I liked it.
Mark
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a child, I loved to read. I tore through many of the popular books in a fraction of the time it took many of my classmates. The library in my small town school had my name on many of the cards on the inside cover of the book. In fact, while I was in seminary I did substitute teaching and on two occasions I was at my former elementary school. During a break, I went to the library and actually found a few of the books I had read and one of them still had a card with my sloppy third or fourth-gr ...more
Richard Bicknase
As someone who has re-read the books countless (probably 50+ easily) times and frequently relates happenings in life to Narnia references, this book was a joy to read. I would have probably given it 4.5 stars if the option was available to me, but only because I would have liked it to be longer and more thorough in diving deeper. Nothing is really missing as it is, I just wanted more to read in the same vein as a person wants a conversation with a dear friend on a topic of mutual love to continu ...more
Brandon H.
Sometimes books on Christian discipleship can be a real chore to get through. Not this one! It is a DELIGHTFUL look at the magical work of C.S. Lewis' Narnian Chronicles and how the sundry messages within it can be applied to living out the Christian faith. The author showed that not only is he is well immersed in Narnia but also that he understands the mind of Lewis and what he was trying to communicate. I would recommend adding this to your *must-read* list if you're a fan of Narnia and C.S. L ...more
Mark
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to how to think about what Lewis is doing, or maybe a sneak behind the scenes for people who don't know Lewis from other writings. Highly recommend for people who have only read Narnia. But, as Rigney himself would surely say, there's no substitutes for moving on to other Lewis writings. I would recommend things like God in the Dock and The Screwtape Letters, for starters, followed by the Space Trilogy and The Abolition of Man.
Vincent Stewart
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: discipleship, 2020
Lovers of Narnia I invite you to take a journey with author Joe Rigney as he walks through the beloved stories. A great read for all fans of Narnia. Live Like A Narnian pulled some of the more memorable moments out of the stories and explored there depth and application to aid the Christian disciple in walking out these great truths in his life.
Mitch Medlin
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Each chapter is largely self-contained. Some are phenomenal. Some are thought-provoking. Others are just pretty good. Rigney clearly knows Lewis, Narnia, and the Bible really well. Smart guy. Neat stuff.

Anyway, my only major gripe is that Rigney clearly could have written more.
But he didn't.
The jerk...
Katherine Jones
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Don't judge this book by its cover. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed settling into this book, and benefited from the insights offered. It has sent me back to revisit the Narnian books, much to my pleasure and enrichment.

The cover doesn't do this book justice. Also, on future reprintings--to correct a couple of minor typos--a larger font size would not be amiss.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • Ordering Your Private World
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • Art & the Bible
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • What I Learned in Narnia
  • The Weight of Glory
  • Suffering Is Never for Nothing
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Prodigal Prophet: Jonah and the Mystery of God's Mercy
  • Called to Create: A Biblical Invitation to Create, Innovate, and Risk
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • 7 Myths about Singleness
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)

News & Interviews

“But more than just awakening my hunger, breathing Narnian air awakens a desire for a particular type of meal, one with tasty food, good conversation, lots of joy and laughter and revelry and strategizing about how to defeat the White Witch. It makes me want to eat my bread with joy and drink my wine with a merry heart, because God approves (Eccles. 9:7).” 3 likes
“Our lives are to be a long obedience in the same direction, and our direction is far more important than our pace.” 2 likes