Start by marking “The Firebird and other extracts from Strange Matters” as Want to Read:
The Firebird and other extracts from Strange Matters

The Firebird and other extracts from Strange Matters

Four extracts from Strange Matters, a collection of short fantasy stories by Bret Allen.

About the Firebird:
Ekaterina wants to be taken seriously by the men of her village, so she sets out to hunt the greatest prey of all, the legendary Firebird. On the way she encounters three strangers who give her the gifts she needs- for a price.
This short novella, inspired by Slavic fo
Published September 18th 2013 by Bret Allen

Be the first to ask a question about The Firebird and other extracts from Strange Matters

David Eccles
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"The Firebird" is a publishing test and is also the first publication by an author who shows great storytelling ability.
It is a fable and a fairy tale rolled into one, and is a delight to read, taking me back to younger days when absolutely everybody read books, because that, apart from going to see a movie, watching TV or listening to the radio was a primary source of entertainment.
It is the story of Ekaterina, a girl who makes what she believes to be good choices, only to find out that her cho
Avardsin
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Set in olden times of oppression where women where viewed lesser than men. To be coddled, to clean and do house duties whilst the men protect the village and hunt for food.

One Women, Ekaterina steps up to change prejudices about what women can and can't do. On her quest her pride to prove everyone else wrong get the best of her and meet people on her journeys that she trade important stuff about herself for advantages to help her in her quest.

This book is a journey of self-discovery for Ekateri
Bex
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Firebird, it's a great short story for anyone interested in Slavic folklore. Very unique and well written I highly recommend it!
Claire Thorneycroft
Sep 23, 2013
Lucy Sanderson
May 16, 2014
Bret Allen
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca
Lezli
Nov 16, 2016
Ketty
Jan 04, 2019
What is there to say? I'm Bret Allen and I'm a writer!

I have a blog site and studied Journalism. I prefer to write with humour, or at least a wry eye, when writing articles.

In fiction, my favourite genres are fantasy, scifi and supernatural. There's something fascinating about the comparisons drawn between real life and the fantastic; in a contrary fashion, they can be more profound than those dra