Start by marking “Something Borrowed” as Want to Read:
Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  1,876 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
She's ready to catch the bouquet, not steal the guy!

When Ava gets dumped by her boyfriend, she's pretty upset. He wasn't the love of her life or anything, but with her sister's wedding - a.k.a. the social event of the season - just two weeks away, Ava's got to save face by finding someone cute and fun to bring as a new date.

With the clock ticking and no dates in sight, Ava
Published April 8th 2008 by Simon Pulse

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Ava Hamilton has a front row ticket to the wedding of the season...that of Camille, her sister. Everything at home is in total chaos because of the event. Her sister is making her wear the Pink Horror. Pink is so not Ava's color, and the dress is hideous. To top it off, her boyfriend, Lance, has just broken up with her, by phone!

Ava is fit to be tied and complains to her best friend, Teresa. Teresa tells Ava that there's nothing wrong with going stag to th
Luke
Mar 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favoritebooks
This was one awesome book! I am a member of the chapter-a-day book club, which where I get a small part of a YA book every Mon-Fri. Most of the time, the books they send me suck. Most weeks, I question why I even continue reading them. Probably because I'm just too lazy to unsubscribe. But then I get books like this and I'm reminded of how great the emails are.

This book entails the trials and tribulations of a girl named Ava(I think...the book is told in first person) who gets dumped by her boyf
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
Something Borrowed is one of the Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies. Ava's sister, Camille, is getting married. Teresa, her best friend, is with Ava in a bridal store. While Ava is trying on bridesmaid dresses, she gets a call from her boyfriend, Lance, telling her he wants to break up with her. Teresa isn't going to be in town for the wedding because she got accepted for an internship, so Ava will be stuck with Teresa's boyfriend, Jason. Ava finds him extremely dull and annoying. Ava doesn't want to ...more
Yanmei
Nov 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 11th-grade
This book is about a girl who has a wedding to attend soon but got dumped by her boyfriend and need to find one asap. Each time she finds one she gets dumped for some reason or other, making her use her last resort which is to "borrowed" her best friend's boyfriend.
i like this book because it was kind of funny. It had a happy ending which is what i like.
Bekah
May 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
I thought it was okay. Though I'm glad there was a happy ending of sorts I still think the main character is pretty selfish and no matter how she swung it I'm not a big fan of cheaters.
Lindsey Milligan
Something borrowed by Catherine Hapka is about a high school girl who is just trying to find a date to her sisters outrageously, must be perfect wedding. After Ava’s boyfriend Lance dumped her, Ava, her best friend Teresa, and Teresa’s boyfriend Jason go on a hunt to find Ava the perfect wedding date. Ava has a whole bunch of different, crazy flings with different boys; however they never seem to workout for a variety of reasons. The 3 of them always rode around in Jason's blue Prius either doin ...more
Lindsey
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・
Shelley
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
3 stars! What a fun read! I had just read "Drive me Crazy" and needed a book to pick up my mood. Because Drive me Crazy was really bad.

Anyways. This book was light, fluffy, and albeit being pretty shallow, it was an enjoyable read. This book was a fun and romantic book. There really wasn't any substance beneath the lightness and fluff, but this book was happy.

Some things were a bit unrealistic. Like all the guys Ava went through in what, a week? 2 weeks? There weren't any laugh-out-loud parts-
Navila Islam
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read something borrowed by Catherine Hapka. The main character is Ava. Her sister is getting married and she can't wait. But a few rays before the wedding her boyfriend breaks up with her. Ava can't shoe up to her sisters wedding without a date. She went with her best friend Teresa to her campus to search for a guy.She finds a guy that is her type. They hot it off. She asks him to go to the wedding with him and he answers yes. Unfortunately he gets into a accident. She feels horrible but she ...more
Angela
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, ya, contemporary
I adored this book so much.

Ava is a riot and had me giggling like crazy in her search for "Mr. Right Now." In her quest she finds love in a very unlikely place. And let me just say, he is a-freakin'-dorable. As in, I want to put him in my pocket and keep him nice and save.

Ava's bouncing back and forth from one man to the next does get a little old, however. And once again, I felt the final moment when Ava finds her "Mr. Right now and forever" was a little too fast paced for my liking. I would ha
Valerie
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ava's sister is getting married. The plans have been in the works for a year. Every detail has been planned. The one little tiny problem that Ava didn't plan on was being dumped by her boyfriend two weeks before the wedding. She is the maid of honor and she needs a date. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone to go with her though. She's pretty and outgoing. So she begins trying to find someone but as her best laid plans fall apart she is more and more willing to take anyone. Her journey to fi ...more
Gabby712
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 7th-grade
Overview of Something Borrowed
I think Ava (the main character) is getting to over reacted on getting a boy for her sisters wedding. That's all she's focused on right now.

The whole thing started out with her boyfriend Lance broke up with her 3 weeks before the wedding. For those 3 weeks all Ava did with her best friend Teresa and Teresa's boyfriend Jason was try to find a guy for the wedding. I don't really want to spoil anything, but Ava found 1 guy at Teresa's college, Zoom. He gets hurt, no
Leela
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is a great read for when your down in the dumps! This story is an amazingly funny, sad, and romantic book. The thought of something like this happening in real life makes me burst out laughing!
I have become addicted to Simon Pulses romantic comedies. This is definatly one I would suggest, especialy for beginers, new to the world of Simon Pulses Romantic Comedies. It is a little pre teen at some parts, but the book itself makes up for it. So, for everyone considering readi
Maggie
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'll admit it, this book wasn't well written. However, that's not always what I'm looking for in a book; if it makes me laugh, or I love the characters, or the setting is wonderful, I'll live through poor descriptions, clichés, and dialogue overload to enjoy it.
I gave Something Borrowed a chance instead of ditching it because it had me hooked from the beginning, and I liked the humor. It wasn't trashy, but there were a few bad words - probably added just to make the book YA, because it's otherwi
Bookworm1858
Sep 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In general, I love the Simon Pulse series so of course I gave this one a try. Ordinarily I probably would have hated the plot (basically girl steals best friend's boyfriend) except for three things: a. there actually is a bit more to the plot than that; b. it's really funny; and c. it's set in Chester County, where I was born and raised. I would definitely recommend this to people who love the Simon Pulse books and/or are looking for a quick cute contemporary romance.

Oh, and I adore the cover!
Kris
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended for gr. 6-12. The characters are high-school age, but there is nothing objectionable for younger readers. The main character spends the whole book trying to find a date for her sister’s wedding, trying old boyfriends and men she “picks up”. In the end she discovers that Mr. Right was nearby all along, and realizes how shallow her previous efforts were. Some funny moments as she and her family deal with her “Bridezilla” sister.
Kate
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies are always a fun read. These books are not necessarily the best written novels but the stories are always fun and you know you will get a happy ending. I think some adult romances could take a note from these books b/c they are characterized well which is much of the battle in writing any novel since you want your characters, for the most part, to be endearing and relatable.
Sylvia
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Romantic comedy, i have to admit that this book tossed me some moments that i did not expect. Ava had a breakup with her boyfriend just before her sister's wedding. So Ava borrowed her best friend's boyfriend. She discovered that they have a lot more in common then what she at first. He use to make fun of her a lot. In the end, they get together. her best friend already knew that her boyfriend liked Ava. Somethings life throw something at you.
Brenda
Jun 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Cute story about a recently dumped girl who needs to come up with a date for the wedding of the year.(her sister's) Funny situations, not too bad of language, but the main character is a little easy! (she keeps picking up guys) Loved the relationship with the main hottie Jason though. Fun easy read.
Tiffany
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a cute quick read. In "Something Borrowed" Ava is dealing with her sister who has turned into a Bridezilla. She is looking forward to at least attending the wedding with her boyfriend. When her boyfriend breaks up with her she is forced to try to find another date. What follows I think turns into a cute novel. I enjoyed this good read.
Jennie Cha
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was nice, I was expecting the ending because I knew that she would end up liking Jason. However I did not expect for things to end with him and Teresa that way though it does make senses. I liked Jason but not when he was with Ava which was strange. Jason was cute at the wedding but also annoying? It was cliche for the guy to have "liked" her first. However it was a good read.
Jessica Ford
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's hard to review this alone after reading both this and Something Blue. It is the same story told from two characters perspectives. The most interesting thing was seeing the "other side" of friendships. I believe at times every woman has been both Rachel and Darcy. You can relate to each of them at times and also be equally frustrated with them.
Megan
Oct 03, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was fairly obvious from the start. I knew all those boys had to drop out of the wedding because on the back of the book it said Ava was going to be bringing her bestfriend's boyfriend. There was a little catch at the end but otherwise a fairly obvious book.
mjsquared
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
My sister in law gave me this book when she had heard about the Something Borrowed series, except we didnt realize there was more than one book with the same title. This is the epitome of cheesy chick lit, pretty poor writing, but an easy read.
Lizzette
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
It only took 2 and half hours to finish this book with interruptions. I liked this book because its funny because Ava has only 2 weeks for her sister's wedding to get a hot date. All her dates either get in accident, get traumatized, or well hate other dates. What will Ava do?
Jess
Nov 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Actually, it was a 2.5, but closer to the 3 than two. It was kinda cute, but about as deep as the kiddie pool. Not that I thought it would be, but the characters were more 2-d than I thought they'd be. But it was relatively clean and had a good ending.
Tarryn
Soooooooo predictable. And I'm a girl that LOVES cliches when executed properly. But this book was just kind of dull. It included none of the interesting quirks that usually make cliches bearable. It was a quick, unoriginal read, but still fairly entertaining.
Maria
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very light read. I thought this book was very cute and sweet! Perfect for me! I am not sure if lot of people would enjoy this as much as me but I sure did. If you love cute sweet book and a love chick lit this is for you!
Joan  Ridge
This was an easy read.
It had some laughs but I thought Rachel who is a young attorney really was a wimp in keeping Darcy as her friend.
To me Darcy is the kind of friend who uses everybody, there really is no pleasing Darcy and what she gets she deserves without a doubt.
  • Gettin’ Lucky
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Perfect Shot
  • Love, Hollywood Style
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • In the Stars
  • Miss Match
  • Puppy Love
  • Prom Crashers
  • Hard to Get
  • Scary Beautiful
  • Getting to Third Date
  • Love Undercover (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • South Beach Sizzle
  • Cupidity
Catherine (Cathy) Hapka has written more than one hundred books for children and adults, as a ghostwriter for series as well as original titles, including the Romantic Comedies Something Borrowed, The Twelve Date of Christmas, and Love on Cue. She lives in Pennsylvania.
More about Catherine Hapka

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Testing (The Testing, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Peak
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Girls on Fire
“A little damage makes people more interesting, right?” 31 likes
“The adventurous part of me was looking forward to getting out into the world, meeting new people, trying new things. But another part of me was thinking that it was just too soon. Why couldn’t everything stay the same for a little while longer?” 7 likes