Start by marking “The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you” as Want to Read:

The Mom Test is a quick, practical guide that will save you time, money, and heartbreak.

They say you shouldn't ask your mom whether your business is a good idea, because she loves you and will lie to you. This is technically true, but it misses the point. You shouldn't ask anyone if your business is a good idea. It's a bad question and everyone will lie to you at least a
Published September 10th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Mom Test, please sign up.
Mohamadreza Pourahmad بعد از خوندن این کتاب دید خیلی خوبی پیدا میکنید برای پرسیدن سوال های مناسب از مشتری های محصولتون خوب یا بد بودن ایده هاتون رو میتونید با سوال های…moreبعد از خوندن این کتاب دید خیلی خوبی پیدا میکنید برای پرسیدن سوال های مناسب از مشتری های محصولتون، خوب یا بد بودن ایده هاتون رو میتونید با سوال های مناسبی متوجه بشین.
یاد میگیرید که با تعریف های خوب از ایده و کارتون بی جهت هیجان زده نشین
(less)

Start your review of The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
Either really good or dismally bad. Not sure which one.
Easy read. Some ideas that could sometimes be useful. Or not.

Q:
Trying to learn from customer conversations is like excavating a delicate archaeological site. The truth is down there somewhere, but its fragile. (c)
WhatIReallyRead (Anna)
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to WhatIReallyRead (Anna) by: teachers at my Digital&Product Marketing class
This book is amazing!

I recommend it to everyone who builds products, talks to customers, works in startups or has the desire to sell any ideas/products they came up with or made.

Why I loved it:

- it's a how-to book that offers concrete methods and tools to solve problems on tour path to a new product with an audience;
- it is full of specific examples of good and bad approaches, and reasons why a certain approach is good or bad;
- it is easy to read, short and funny - a real delight to spend your
Michael Dubakov
Outstanding book!

Main lessons learned:
1. Don't pitch your ideas to customers
2. Learn facts. Dig and ask more questions till you have exact facts and data
3. Don't mention your solution
4. Don't listen to opinions, collect facts and pain points instead
5. Compliments means nothing. Really nothing. Deflect them and dig deeper.
6. You cant learn anything useful unless youre willing to spend a few minutes shutting up
7. If you dont know what happens next after a product or sales meeting, the meeting was
Cat
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about having conversations with potential customers to see if your business is a good idea. It is not written by a UX guy, but someone from tech startups who has learned through mistakes. In some places it's a bit beginner, but it's fun to read, not pretentious, and at times laugh out loud funny. It's a good reminder of the basics and packed full of example dialogues. I actually put down the book I was working on to read this one and devoured it in part of a day.

It starts with a
Andriy Bas
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
The best book for Customer Development I've ever seen!
Must-read for all CEOs, founders, Product Managers, and User Researchers!
My notes, in case you need: https://www.notion.so/uptechteam/The-...
Zornitsa Tomova
It's the second time I read this one and once again, I loved every page of it. The book is an amazingly simple, down-to-earth guide on what it means to 'talk to your customers' before you go ahead and build that thing. It's one of those books that you can reread in a few hours every time you're thinking of starting a new project and you'll always find something new and useful. If you want to keep your sight on what's important in the mess of a product's initial research & creation, read ...more
Nikas
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't recommend this book enough. Simple, straightforward and immensely helpful. If you're only going to read one book about validating startup ideas, make it this one.
Sheida
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I learned quite a lot 🤔
Heather Aislinn
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Insightful, clear, understandable and quick
Now I'm more sure how to ask questions, how to ask the right questions mind you.
Paras Dahal
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best business book I've ever read.

No fluff, no tedious and irrelevant stories, and no jargon filled generic crap. This is a manual for how to talk to customers for maximizing learning instead of fishing for compliments and ego boost. The writing is engaging and concise, and there is not a single page whose content can't be put to use immediately. I am sure I will come back to this book multiple times.

Highly recommended for aspiring entrepreneurs.
Louise
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
A short and to the point business-type book that's extremely helpful in conducting customer research. I heard about this book through an IndieHackers podcast episode and while one could get the gist of this book by just listening to the podcast, the details and examples in the actual book were worth the price of admission.
Ahmad Abugosh
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice short book no how to have better conversations with potential customers when you're building an idea. The main concept behind the book is that you shouldn't ask leading questions or questions that expose your ego (what do you think of my idea?). Instead, you should focus on asking questions in a way where they don't even know that you're building something, so your ego is not exposed. So for example, you could ask people "is x a problem for you", "how did you solve this problem in the ...more
Martin Brochhaus
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Its nice.

Maybe the only downside is, even though it is a super short book, it is still extremely repetitive: 40% of the book is the exact same message:

DONT PITCH! Ask about THEIR lives, their problems, their current solutions/workarounds.

However, given how easy it is to fall back into "pitch mode", maybe it is worth hammering that message into my brain.

We are about to launch a new product soon at my company and we do have an extremely narrowly segmented customer group, so I will sit down with
Evgenia Trofimova
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Priceless.
The book is short and quite expensive, but each page of it is full of very, very useful examples and advise.
I wish I read this book before, and not had an experience of a failed startup, cause I asked wrong questions while doing user research.

I acquired each page slowly, processing and applying to life. I even gave three talks, incorporating the knowledge from this book before I have finished it. :)

The most useful book of 2018. And one of the most useful book for people doing
Harold Saar
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to ask questions that are not biased? The book aims to make it easier to face tough questions. If you are setting up a business it is a must read for you. If your sales/pitch/validation conversations are pre-planned you will end up with lots of advice and much-needed information instead of going through meetings focusing on trivial stuff and keeping conversations comfortable.

I think Ive never made as many underlinings and comments as I did on the pages of this one.
Askorbinka
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's complicated to evaluate this book without practicing its recommendations. So the true value will be discovered later. But the chapters where author talks about what questions should be asked to elicit customer requirements correlate with my experience as a business analyst. None of the good questions are about asking what functionality you should build. Talk about people and their life, not your product.
Anton Diatlov
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The must-read book for every entrepreneur and product manager. It is easy to read, short and clear. Rob Fitzpatrick provides a lot of tips and tricks for customer development that is applicable to every early-stage company.
Andrus
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not a fascinating page-turner, but a crisp very to-the-point and readable book on doing customer (development) interviews.
Anoochan
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is such an amazing book!
Heavily recommended by colleagues in office, I was generally apprehensive of the hype and was fairly certain that this book would let me down. But I couldn't have been more wrong. I'd say it's totally worth the hype.

Some very practical and hard hitting facts are conveyed in a very easy to consume manner. Being centered around conversations, the book is rife with examples of both 'things to do' and 'things not to do' during customer and stake holder conversations.
Bálint
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish all non-fiction book was like this. Short, containing the principles with examples. What are the qood questions as well as what are the BAD questions. Good flow, no fluff, absolutely loved it, learned a ton. Biggest take away: ask about what actually happened, not what would happen if X.
Aamna
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an incredibly useful book. Highly recommend if you're into building products.
Niklas Laninge
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short and relevant guide anyone working with customer development can and should read. There are some great questions ready to be copy/pasted.
Sina Saeidi
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I took another step forward into business :)
I learned good stuff about the evaluation of the idea and discovering customers.
Mohit Khare
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read on how to talk to customers. How to take proper feedback. Examples in this book are to the point. Throughout the book it has instances on both good and bad conversations.
Bart Rietveld
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It is simple to read and full of useful and well explained tactics on how to get the information you need out of a conversation with a customer. I'll definitely come back to this book.
Ahmad hosseini
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book for entrepreneurs!
this book helped me to realizing my mistakes in talking to customers. This book introduces simple rules for talking to customers:
1- Talk about their life instead of your idea
2- Ask about specifics in past instead of generics or opinions about the future
3- Talk less and listen more.
This book is a practical how-to, and includes good examples of meetings. The interesting thing about this book is that its author is a technician, not a seller!
Vlad Calus
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A practical book on finding what works in your idea and get the first steps toward building a functional, useful and customer-paying MVP/product.
Charissa Ty
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have 16 pointers I've learned from this book. Will be sharing it with the team. Thanks for writing it Rob. :)
Gowtham Injamuri
This was in continuation to Talking to Humans. Virtually both the books talk about customer research and have solid advice.
Karen Chung
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Current, future and would-be entrepreneurs: Read this book. It may save you a lot of mistakes, pain and risk. A one-day read.

• Talking to Humans
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Intercom on Jobs to be Done
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • Intercom on Product Management
  • ВкусВилл: Как совершить революцию в ритейле, делая всё не так
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • High Output Management
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Rob is an entrepreneur of 12 years. He went through YCombinator (s07) with an attempt to figure out social advertising before Facebook managed to do so, which obviously didnt work out so well. He has raised funding in the US and UK, built products used by customers like Sony and MTV, designed and Kickstarted a card game, cofounded the education agency Founder Centric, rebuilt a little sailboat, ...more

News & Interviews

“Trying to learn from customer conversations is like excavating a delicate archaeological site. The truth is down there somewhere, but it’s fragile. While each blow with your shovel gets you closer to the truth, you’re liable to smash it into a million little pieces if you use too blunt an instrument.” 4 likes
“It boils down to this: you aren’t allowed to tell them what their problem is, and in return, they aren’t allowed to tell you what to build. They own the problem, you own the solution.” 4 likes