Start by marking “The Truth About Everything” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Everything

The Truth About Everything

Life is an uncertain morphing of the beautiful and devastating, the reckless and ordained, the inconsequential and cataclysmal. Brianna Wiest writes about her own experiences and truths of life as they pertain to the greater universe in this first compilation of her work. The selected pieces are ones to turn to when you are in need of answers, comfort and a little tough lo ...more
Published (first published July 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Everything

Ly Nguyen
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
For me, this book is an eye-opening view about self, love and life. I read it and could not put it down for one night. I found the book incidentally and it surprisingly gave me ideas with my current problems. The author’s sharing and experiences are indeed helpful.

These are what I've get out from this great book. It is an appealing personal story of the author’s journey of love, lost and recovery. She has shown her vulnerability with confidence and optimism. She has inspired me throu
Jane
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Unintentionally hilarious, due to some unfortunate copyediting. A few interesting ideas but mostly distracted by commas and the occasional word salad such as "Change won't who that is yet, keep living, they will come." Like getting life advice from the Onion. But good for many MANY laughs.
Madison Hite
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brianna Wiest is my hero.

I can't express to you how much this book-and Brianna Wiest's existence will change your life. She's incredibly intuitive and self aware and does a wonderful job of sharing her experiences and life lessons with others so we can also learn. I love her dearly and would hire her as a life coach at any moment.

Sneha
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This gave me a lot of insight :) Some bits were a bit heavy and dense but she makes them easy enough to swallow, still. And some bits I had to re-read and savour them in my mouth, which I really liked.
Thank you, Brianna Wiest! I'm grateful. :)
Erica Pro
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love how similar Brianna's views on life are to mine and she articulates it well. It's a good read, that helps you really reflect on yourself and what you want for yourself.
ashley  lloyd spanton
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I only recently discovered Brianna Wiest's work, after stumbling upon an article about marriage that really struck a chord with me. But now I can't seem to get enough. I bought this book to save me from having to scour the depths of the Internet for more work.

It's not that Wiest writes about anything too mind-blowing, but it's the way that she describes and adds depth to things you may have heard before or things you may have thought yourself, that is what makes her writing so powerf
Tom Quinn
Jan 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Brianna Wiest means well.

Reading this book is kind of like getting advice secondhand, or like a pep talk from someone who's read a lot of other self-help books. The author isn't a professional counselor but has good intentions. For the right reader at the right time (and I'll stereotype freely: probably a young woman) it might be comforting and encouraging. For myself it felt like a warmed-over "hang in there, you can do it" speech.

1.5 stars out of 5. In addition to being
Kristina
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Let the feelings Wave through you and pass. Breathe through them don’t resist them resisting the bad feelings, Will not help, it will hurt. Train yourself to acknowledge your feelings, consider what they’re trying to tell you, and let them pass. “
Charles
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly Enjoyed

I thoroughly enjoyed the meanderings, musings, provocative thoughts and stimulating questions we all discuss with ourselves as we travel this road we call life.
Jacqueline Childs
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The most self-inspiring book I've ever read. I could read this over and over. It's very refreshing and I highly recommend to help with soul searching.
Maritza Buendía
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
A good read full of wisdom and good advice on life and love that I mostly agree with. Life changing , if only by reading it you could apply some of these concepts and modify some of your beliefs, we all be happier. Easier said than done, I suppose, but a good reminder of the futile nature of life and the things we can change by will power, self awareness and compassion. The author simple and direct narrative makes it easy to follow and a very quick and enjoyable read.
Elton Chan
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Charity
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: lifestyle
This collection of essays had some really great insights. I read through it easily and quickly, which to some extent indicates that it held my interest. Was it the best book of philosophy ever? No... but it was in general, good.
Nicki
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
While I don't agree with all that she wrote or even stands for, I think she hits on some very real "truths". This book has a way of making you really think about all aspects of life- relationships, fears, hopes, dreams, and self worth. I would highly recommend reading it!
Caroline
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5
Peg
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall, this is a great read to come back to you if every need a little grounding in your life. Full of some cliches that you know and you know you know, but sometimes just need to see it.
Claire Cousineau
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This was a good book and talked a lot about important lessons, but in order to read it you had to go into it with an open mind and readiness to accept these lessons.
Jen
Aug 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
rambling.
Radhajeet
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you are familiar with Thought Catalog, you'll dig this book. Fast read (couldn't put it down) chalk full of of things that get you thinking about life, love, beliefs.
Lauren
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
just what I needed to read....such an honest, inspiring take on the adventure of life. Perfect read for mid 20s!
Madhur Ahuja
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nice collection of essays...
Camille
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The typical Brianna Wiest-awesome :)
Harini Soni
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can say for sure that this book will be in my "One of the best books ever read" list..!! I loved it.!!!
Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very enlightening. If you like self-reflection books than you will love this. Brianna Wiest is extremely unbiased. Every chapter is full of perfectly placed words and beautiful quotes.
Chris
Adela
Mar 29, 2018
Ricardo
Aug 21, 2014

• The Dale Carnegie Leadership Mastery Course: How To Challenge Yourself and Others To Greatness
  • Having It All: Achieving Your Life's Goals and Dreams
  • No Permanent Scars
  • Real Beast: Abused
  • That Bird Has My Wings: The Autobiography of an Innocent Man on Death Row
  • The Scent of Water: Grace for Every Kind of Broken
  • Running on Empty: A Diary of Anorexia and Recovery
  • 8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies to Empower Your Healing
  • Warrior: A Memoir
  • MiXED NUTS or What I've Learned Practicing Psychotherapy
  • Nudge: Awakening Each Other to the God Who's Already There
  • A Masque of Infamy
  • Chienne de Guerre: A Woman Reporter Behind the Lines of the War in Chechnya
“Whenever you feel hopeless, all you need to do is go outside and realize that you have been molded into human form for some reason. You are somewhere you may never be again. Your actions, no matter how inconsequential you think they may be, have been essential.” 12 likes
“I remember the first time I heard your voice. I can still remember telling you how soothing I found it, how much it calmed me. It still does, even though we’re strangers. You’re silent, but your words are still very much alive in me. You are my home, even though the door is locked and the lights are off. It’s not a choice as much as it is a beautiful nagging that’s nearly impossible to ignore. But I’m locked out, left to wander, and I’ve found myself here. I know I left in a childish fit, and you locked the iron gate so tightly; you had to. So I was left out in the darkness, just me and the shadows that haunted me, the ones that led me away from you to begin with. You left me outside to face them. You wouldn’t let me lean on you to deal with them anymore. You are my home because you are the place I choose to return to over and over again. The place that, even when painful, means the most. You are my home because you have made me who I am, whether or not you realized what you were doing. You are my home because you showed me the best kind of love there is. You showed me real, genuine, love-you-so-much-it-hurts-and-changes-me-at-my-core love. It was a blissful combination of finally feeling alive mixed with the most painfully difficult challenge I never thought I’d have to deal with. I didn’t know I could ever feel so strongly that I’d end up there. And yet, I still believe, that although that love may have been all of those challenging things, it was still unconditional, undeniable, and above all, beautiful. Miraculous. And that’s what keeps me at your door.” 4 likes