Start by marking “The Lost” as Want to Read:
The Lost

The Lost

(The Lost #1)

It was only meant to be a brief detour. But then Lauren finds herself trapped in a town called Lost on the edge of a desert, filled with things abandoned, broken and thrown away. And when she tries to escape, impassable dust storms and something unexplainable lead her back to Lost again and again. The residents she meets there tell her she's going to have to figure out jus ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Harlequin MIRA (first published May 20th 2014)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I am lost.

But I couldn’t face the truth. That’s why I left, why I drove straight, why I left Mom alone to face the news by herself. What kind of person does that? A person who deserves this. A person who deserves to lose what she treasures. I deserve to be lost, to never see home again, to never swim in the ocean again.
This book reminds me of the song Hotel California.
"Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said 'We are all just prisoners here, of our own device.'"
I’m sure theCalifornia.
Ash Wednesday
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz and The Twilight Zone
4 STARS
”Do you trust me?”
It’s a line from a dozen romantic movies, and if I were the romantic sort, this is where I would swoon, take his hand, and pledge my devotion. I’m not romantic, but I’m also not stupid. So I take his hand and lie.
“Yes.”

This one’s probably going to get a lot of dissenting opinions across my friends’ list, and if you’re the kind of reader who can latch on an inconsistency like a rabid dog to a bone, this might be a tough sell for you.

A book that is part Alice, part Peter, part Dorothy, part TwilSTARS
”Do
Giselle
Mar 08, 2014 added it
Shelves: arc, ebook
DNF - 5% (I know, but dude... O_O)

This writing.. I just can't.

"The night air is warm but the breeze is nice. It tickles my neck and whispers in my ear. [...] I step over a soiled sweatshirt. There’s a wallet lying on the curb. I pick it up and flip it open to see a driver’s license and an array of credit cards. I’ll hand it in at the lobby.

I find a second wallet outside the lobby door. And a third in the cacti. I pick them up as well and wonder what sort of party involved flinging
Figgy
Featured on my 2014 favourites list!

THIS is what a quirky, dry humoured character SHOULD be.

4.5 stars rounded up because I couldn't bring myself to give this a 4.

This is one of my favourite new reads so far this year.

Plot: Lauren Chase didn't make plans to travel into the desert, she just decided not to turn at the traffic lights on her way to work and kept on driving. Until she was lost. Until she found herself in a town called Lost. Where the people are crazy, the dust storm never ends, and everything that's ever gyear.
list!
THIS
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I won this through a Goodreads giveaway.

This was an interesting idea. I even had a dream stemming from this book. Alas, the idea was not executed to its full potential.

There were endless different kinds of lost items and a fair description of the town of Lost, and yet it felt so much was missing from the narrative. Everything in this book was somehow lacking. The passing of time was glossed over. The threat of people trying to kill the heroine didn't feel at all urgent or
Alexandra
** Kindle version on sale for $1.99 **

Has now been optioned for TV or film: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/sel...

The premise of finding oneself in a mysterious unknown town, especially one you cannot leave, is always an interesting one to me.

TV shows like Haven, Persons Unknown. Books like Pines.

The Lost is another with this intriguing premise, although it's very different from the stories mentioned above. The mystery regarding the town is fairly unique and kept me interested. The MC, Lauren, is
Jessica
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fantasy
Things I've lost:

A dozen chapsticks
24 dragon bookmarks
A library book by Poul Anderson that I never finished
Several bags of candy intended for Easter baskets

Things I've found:

That Sarah Beth Durst is one of the most creative and astonishing writers working today.
That I enjoy the hell out of every one of her books, though at times they are so intense that I have to just put it down for a minute and breathe.
That even though I'm not a romance person,
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato
“To quote a certain cat, ‘we’re all mad here’”

The Lost is pretty hard book to review. I want to say so many things about it but at the same time I don’t know where to start and how to even express my feelings for this book.

Perhaps I should start off by saying that not everyone will love this book and the major reason for that, I believe, is the writing. The writing is weird and choppy and so confusing at times and it took me a while to get u/>
Colleen Houck
I've never read a book like this one before. The setting is so vivid and real. I love the idea of a place where all lost things go. The ending was perfect.
Nafiza

The Lost presents a familiar premise where a daughter decides that she would much rather get in the car and go driving in an unfamiliar direction than go home and find out whether her mom’s cancer is back. She drives through a dust storm and ends up, officially, in Lost: a place where all things and people who are lost go.

The novel is certainly innovative but I have come to expect that from Sarah Beth Durst whose novels I may not always like but always appreciate for their originalit
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tanja (Tanychy) by: Buddy-read with Glass!
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

There are books that dance on tightrope between reality and imagination and all I can say for this one is - it's quite a dancer. I have no idea which genre to put it in. For me this book was everything I needed without knowing so. It captured me and took me to another world I did not expect to see.

Welcome to Lost! One sign, one city which changes everything. Without giving away too much it's a city of lost - dreams, hopes, lives and rebuilding and rec
Nikki
This review can also be found at my blog, There were books involved...

-----------------------------

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

When I first heard about The Lost , I was a goner. That is to say, the blurb appealed to me like CRAZY, and I knew I had to have this book in my life. Why? Well, did you read the blurb?! It's about a girl who finds herself stuck in a town made up of lost things and lost people and lost dreams . I don't know about you, but that premise alone was enough to have me dying to read the bin
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

From an initial, chilling fall into darkness, Sarah Beth Durst brings hope and magic to a horrific, almost apocalyptic landscape. Don’t pick up this book unless you have time to make it through at least the first half of Lauren’s journey, as her grief and circumstances will make it painful to leave her until she finds her footing.

Of course, “finding her footing” probably implies more hope than is warranted. Lost is a chilling place populat
Cheryl
Sep 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was definitely drawn into this book but the back cover. Sadly, this is another book that is deceiving. It started out ok. Laura is driving and decides to stop for the night in the town of "Lost". The next day, Laura is leaving town when a strange sand storm appears out of no where. Laura survives the sand storm only to find herself reentering Lost. Every time she tries to leave, she gets stuck in the same sand storm and ends up right back where she begins. Sounds like an episode of the Twiligh ...more
Lea
Jan 26, 2015 marked it as to-read
Really, I just want to read this because of Drink, Slay, Love. Plus, the premise looks interesting and Khanh rated it 4 stars.
Kristen
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-or-galley
This and other reviews can be found on My Friends Are Fiction

The Story:
This was my first novel to read by Durst and I had no clue what to expect. I had hit that request button on Shelf Awareness because I was drawn to the cover. When I started to read I’d heard nothing about this book so had zero preconceived notions or expectations. I was in for quite the surprise because I adored this book and now desperately need to read more of this author’s work.

I quickly became comple
Valette M.
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as heroines go, Lauren Chase is nothing special: no prophecy about her future, no strange powers since birth. And because of this, she is incredibly relatable. I fell in love with her as she struggles to come to terms with her new world and the mother she's losing. Her motivations ring true and she feels real, clever and sturdy, with no moping about but a matter-of-fact view on life. But, however fantastic she may be as the lead, the character that takes the cake for me is Peter (the Fin ...more
Kelly
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You never know what Sarah Beth Durst is going to do next. Fairy tales mixed with science? Vampires and unicorns? Gods taking over human bodies? Creepy carnivals? She’s done all of that and more, and with The Lost, Durst begins another story that, just like her previous novels, is completely different from what has gone before.

Lauren Chase took to the open road to get away, just for a little while, from the prospect of bad news about her mother’s health. Instead she found herself caught in
Tim Martin
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy
I have seen jokes all my life about where socks go when they are lost in the dryer or elsewhere. I am sure people from time to time wonder just where other items that are misplaced – an umbrella, a sweater, a paperback book, change, keys, a wallet or purse – go. Did they end up under a bed, on a seat at a restaurant, or behind a bookshelf or some other bit of furniture?

What about lost people, those who vanish without a trace? Particularly people who wander off, having experienced real loss in t
Melissa Jacobson
Actual rating 4.5

So Apparently I had no clue what this book was actually about when I bought it haha. For some reason I thought this was a post apocalyptic sci-fi book but it most certainly is not. This book fall more on the paranormal\maybe sci-fi side? I am very confused about this books genre but I loved it nonetheless. Sarah Beth Durst is such an imaginative author and I loved this. This felt very twin peaks meets peter-pan with some magical realism/maybe sci-fi popped in there.
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
The Lost by Sarah Beth Durst is a book I went into not knowing much about. Sure I assumed some big mystery was afoot and external forces were at play keeping people trapped but beyond that I went into reading The Lost mostly blind (ie I didn't read any early reviews). Well I'm happy to report that not only did The Lost meet my expectations but it surpassed them tenfold.

One of my favorite parts about The Lost were the characters. Even though this is really Lauren's story the side characters are
Samantha
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/4, good
Dark Faerie Tales
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A dangerous and dark world where the lost and hopeless go to find “what they’ve lost” with wonderfully descriptive writing that will have you “lost” in this world.

Opening Sentence: For the first hundred miles, I see only the road and my knuckles, skin tight across the bones, like my mother’s hands, as I clutch the steering wheel.

The Review:

Lauren Chase just wants to get away from the reality of
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I received an ARC of this novel through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

I tend to have a strong liking to such stories: mysterious little towns hiding all sorts of secrets; characters lost in them and trying to find their way, only to find out that something dark is lurking behind; and so on. I must say I was enthralled by the atmosphere in "The Lost". The aforementioned small town felt creepy as hell, and its inhabitants' reactions didn't do anything to shake off that feeling, fo
Crini
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Originally posted at All About Books

My first book by Sarah Beth Durst and I’m a bit disappointed. She always has these unique ideas that make me want to buy all her books at once. I guess it is a good thing that I didn’t do that. I enjoyed reading The Lost enough to want to read more by her but I didn’t get what I expected. Her overall execution of the idea was good, but something was missing for me and I had troubles with the main character.

+ A great, unique idea
I already fell in lo/>+
Krystle
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I really liked the ending.

---

Here’s Sarah Beth Durst’s first foray into YA fiction, something I had a keen eye on as to how she would transition into the new field as well as pull it off. I’ve read a good many of her books and love her innovative story ideas and writing style so I had good confidence this wouldn’t let me down.

The set up behind this book, while simple, is quite intriguing. I really liked how she crafted this little world and how it functioned overall
Jen
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book started out kind of slow. I admit that I was contemplating DNFing this, BUT I completely LOVE Sarah Beth Durst so I pushed through and I am SOOOOO glad that I did. This book was AMAZING. I was a little peeved with the main character for not jumping into Lost with as much gusto as I would have, but it was realistic with the problems she had at home.

The ending was good though I am divided about it. It could be a stand alone with a "Lady or the Tiger" ending or it could contin
Angie
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

I really, really enjoyed The Lost. It has such an imaginative premise, and thankfully, the story was great, too! Instead of meeting her mother, Lauren drives away. She has no destination in mind. She just drives. Eventually she decides it's time to turn around, head home, and hear what her mother has to say about her health. But, Lauren ends up stuck in a tiny town named Lost. It's a strange place with wallets scattered about, a man on a endless search for pennies,
Adriana C
Mar 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

The Lost is an adult book thats a little peculiar, bizarre and sometimes a little disorienting and the first part of the book is somewhat confusing and didnt know to where the story was going, but once I get used to what happens in the town of Lost, I really enjoyed this book.

Lauren is a woman in her late twenties, shes lost because she fears the diagnosis of her mother, since apparently her illness may have returned and instead of facing it, she decides to drive out of
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin and Netgalley.)
27-year-old Lauren just wants to get lost for a while, as she tries to come to terms with her mother’s medical problems, but she doesn’t intend to get stuck in a town called Lost, unable to find a way home.
What is going on in Lost? And will Lauren ever go home again?

This was quite a strange story, but I think I liked it overall.

Lauren wa
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
No more! The Missing not being published 3 23 Feb 04, 2015 03:02AM

• The Fire Artist
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Unwept (The Nightbirds, #1)
  • The Wizard’s Promise (The Hanna Duology, #1)
  • Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant (V, #1)
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • Our Lady of the Streets (The Skyscraper Throne, #3)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • The Summer Invitation
  • Searching for Sky
  • Ask Me
  • The Aftermath (Aftermath #1)
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • A Girl Called Fearless (A Girl Called Fearless, #1)
Sarah Beth Durst is the award-winning author of nineteen fantasy books for kids, teens, and adults, including The Girl Who Could Not Dream, Drink Slay Love, and The Queens of Renthia series. She won an ALA Alex Award and a Mythopoeic Fantasy Award and has been a finalist for SFWA's Andre Norton Award three times. She is a graduate of Princeton University, where she spent four years studying English, writing about d ...more

The Lost (3 books)
  • The Missing (The Lost, #2)
  • The Found (The Lost, #3)
“One day, I’m certain a meteor will crash through the atmosphere and land on my apartment... Or maybe, as Mom says, it’s only that I am a little bit disorganized and a little bit paranoid. To which I remind her, it’s not paranoia if the meteors really are out to get you.” 1 likes