Start by marking “Point of Direction” as Want to Read:
Point of Direction

Point of Direction

Hitchhiking her way through Alaska, a young woman named Anna is picked up by Kyle, a fisherman. Anna and Kyle quickly fall for each other, as they are both adventurous, fiercely independent, and in love with the raw beauty and solitude of Alaska. To cement their relationship, they agree to become caretakers of a remote lighthouse perched on a small rock in the middle of a ...more
Published May 13th 2014 by Ig Publishing (first published April 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Point of Direction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point of Direction

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. StedmanTo the Lighthouse by Virginia WoolfThe Lighthouse by P.D. JamesThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxThe Last Testament of Thomas Griffith by Martin Adil-Smith
Lighthouses
228 books — 107 voters
Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonThe Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger
Tales of Adventure
342 books — 439 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some books are artfully written, but dull. Others are thick with excitement, but flat. This one? This one stands at that sweet intersection: beauty and tension, in equal measure.

Part adventure story, part survival tale, even part psychological thriller, this story takes you from the glacial inland to the cold wet coast of the Alaskan wilderness. It's the kind of setting that makes you snuggle deep under the blanket, suddenly aware that you are warm and dry. Yet nothing gets romanticized here. Y
Cyndi
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
When the guy you think you're in love with, gets you to join him as a light house keeper on a remote Alaskan island, then leaves you there by yourself with no gun, its time to end the relationship. I should have ended the reading of it also.
Kathryn
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I love stumbling upon a book on Goodreads that I never would have even picked up otherwise. This was such a good story, well written, concise with detail where it needed to be without dragging.
Claudia Putnam
I'm not going to rate this book because I don't want to lower the average for this promising author. (And it's not true that a no-star rating gets averaged as a zero--I asked a GR librarian about that--it's just not counted.) I think it's around 3.5 stars. The wildness of Alaska is wonderfully well evoked, and I loved the way the characters were handled--the secondary characters as much as the main ones. Everyone very clearly rendered without the heavy-handedness you get with sometimes, when wri ...more
Lori
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
The premise of this book sounded interesting but I had a difficult time with the completely selfish and unlikeable main characters. The descriptions of Alaska were beautiful, but because I didn't like the main characters, I had a hard time caring about them or what happened to them. I felt they were both incredibly selfish and the horrible thing that happened to one of them, I didn't feel like it should have effected her the way it did.
Leslie
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. A couple tending a lighthouse in Alaska, both with baggage. They discover themselves, face their demons and grow up! A fast read.
Victoria
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
OVERALL I liked it. Quick 1 day read. I think it was great to read this during the beginning of the winter season. I am trying to embrace the winter season, and find beauty in it, so it is not that miserable! This was a wakeup call for me, and a reminder that I am NOT able to survive a week in Alaska. I love the descriptions of the winter world in Alaska, the lighthouse, the scenery, the directions on how to survive.
So why so low of a rating... WELL I thought you would never ask!
I loved it lov
Kara
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novel is a visceral experience seeped in realism. The narrator Anna's reserved voice hides an undercurrent of emotion as potentially treacherous as the remote Alaskan setting. The pace is tense and riveting. (Confession, I actually gasped out lout at one point in suspense!) While reading, I felt as diminutive and isolated as the keeper of a lighthouse flanked by massive mountains. A brilliantly written story I highly recommend!
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book. Alaska, lighthouse, solitude ... All great fodder for a book. This being said there were parts that were a bit creepy but not really "psychological thriller" level and her boyfriend was a shallow jerk even tho he had conflicts of his own. I will read something of hers in the future which I don't always say about a 3 star rating! :-)
Linda
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting but I feel like the characters needed better development - more depth. You know when you finish a book and you think - this was good but it could have been great. That is how I felt about this book.
Sara
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book made me very clear about the fact that I do not want to spend my winter living in a remote lighthouse on the coast of Alaska. I think the atmosphere was more compelling than the story and the characters. Things were wrapped up a bit too quickly at the end.
Amy Morfas
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I'd heard such great things about this book that I'd expected to love it. I didn't. Really great start but (without giving too much away) the demise of the relationship in the book seemed baseless and not credible. At least to me. Not awful, but not great.
Joanna
May 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Predictable story with odd and sometimes terrible metaphors. Example:

"It was like adding flour to cake batter, my life to his."

Jenny Shank
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From High Country News, October 27, 2014 issue

In Colorado writer Rachel Weaver’s exceptional debut novel, Point of Direction, Alaska drives two characters close to their psychological breaking points. Anna Richard, the book’s intriguing narrator, combines a habit of radical risk-taking with a tendency toward caution. As the book opens, Anna is hitchhiking back to Alaska after two years of drifting. She accepts a ride from a young man named Kyle, but refuses to sit in the pickup’s cab
Bill Krieger
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it
The strength of Point of Direction is the action! The plot travels through Alaska with dangerous hiking, camping, climbing, boating and being stuck on a remote island... it's a fast and exciting read. Like this...

QOTD

One wave after another over the caprail had filled it and sunk it. I review what we now do not have. Food, a way off the island, clothes, a way to cook. I think about the steaks I was going to cook tonight, the bottle of wine to go with it to celebrate, my wallet, my favor/>

Jessica
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't know how this book was ever characterized as a "psychological thriller" because it was definitely not in my opinion. It was more of a "coming of age" for adults type of book. Anna meets Kyle while hitchhiking in Alaska. She is running from an event in her past, but being with Kyle seems to help. When Kyle wants to sign up to live on a remote lighthouse Anna actually thinks it might be the best thing for her to deal with her past. But, life is harder than they realized it would be and whi ...more
Patricia
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A subtle coming to grip current adult life circumstances and past decisions made by oneself or something done to an individual in the past. Anna Richard is an outdoor adventurer who makes her way to Alaska. For a brief period she leads youth groups on glacial treks at the Juneau Ice Field. She has an adverse experience with a young trekker Elizabeth Lowenstein. Kyle McAllin is a fisherman down on his luck and money as the Alaskan catch have been small. His father left he and his mother when Kyle ...more
Gwen
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Point of Direction was an interesting novel that kept my attention. My main reason for giving 4 stars instead of 5 was that I was able to figure the mysteries of the story before they were revealed. I prefer a little bit of a twist or surprise at times in books.

The story was well researched, the descriptions of Alaska seemed accurate and provided the setting I needed to enjoy the book. The characters were well fleshed and their back stories were interesting. Once I got into reading I
Mike Berg
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great surprise from a promising new author. Textured and emotional, well developed characters in which Alaska and a mesmerizing lighthouse form the stage. Deeply personal and revealing without becoming melodramatic. Highly recommended and looking forward to a following Rachel. A promising future scribbling with a deft and poignant touch.
Kathy
Apr 23, 2014 added it
This was one of the worst books I have ever read. The writing reminded me of something a third grader would write. The plot was very predictable and the prose was full of cliches.
Katie
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Psychological thriller this is not. I was expecting it to get me like Gone Girl did. No surprises here. But I did like the descriptive Alaskan scenery and it's wild fury.
Jeanne Beckmann
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For a little book this really packed a punch. From the first page to the last I was hooked and although some what predictable, it was a very enjoyable read.
Michelle
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a good subject. Needed a great deal of editing I think.
Joannie Johnston
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Enough to keep you reading but..meh...way too unbelievable scenarios to make me care. Very predictable and certainly NOT a "psychological thriller!"
Sharon
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This could've easily been a 4-star book. Great debut; writer had a way with words that made it a page-turner. Somewhere more than half-way through though, the plot started to fall flat.
Toren
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
"The sea giving back what it has taken. An apology under pale blue skies." -pg 161
Janine
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met the author at a local Book Club meeting a week before I started reading the book, and after hearing her read the first chapter, and tell us a few stories about becoming an author, I couldn't wait to start. She is as warm and unpretentious a woman as you will ever meet, which made me even happier that I absolutely loved this book! Having moved away from home to Colorado when I was 19-years-old, with only my dog in tow, I thought of myself as quite the adventurer, but both Rachel herself as ...more
Rach Denholm
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Set in Alaska, about a young couple who alone together face their demons. Powerfully written, with a dramatic landscape of a lighthouse on an island and the massive ice glaciers. Exciting and gripping in the telling, with a sense of drama and mystery, I read this in 2 days. A beautiful story encapturing the human spirit and how before you can find that someone, you need to find yourself.
Millie Bentley
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this book because of the subject and the cover picture; it resembled Battery Point Lighthouse in Crescent City, California, where my husband and I have led tours 7 or 8 years.

It kept my interest, and I was surprised by the ending. But I never figure out the criminal in most of the mysteries I read either.
Morgan Jackson
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway years ago and finally made my way to it. Put simply, I loved it. The descriptions of Alaska were beautiful and interesting and I felt that I got to know the characters as they were revealed to each other. A story about the quest for redemption; the pieces we forgive and the pieces we keep. Highly recommend!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dirt Work: An Education in the Woods
  • Breathe
  • Fearless: One Woman, One Kayak, One Continent
  • Higher Love: Skiing the Seven Summits
  • Blood of the White Bear
  • The Best Women's Travel Writing, Volume 9: True Stories from Around the World
  • Far Cry
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • The Lost Girl
  • Learning to Fly: An Uncommon Memoir of Human Flight, Unexpected Love, and One Amazing Dog
  • Lake of Fire
  • Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)
  • The Only Kayak: A Journey into the Heart of Alaska
  • Sea Music
  • A Short Time to Die
  • Lay It on My Heart
  • Children of the Waters
  • So Happy Together
Rachel Weaver is the author of the novel Point of Direction which Oprah Magazine described as a "strikingly vivid debut novel." In his review on NPR's All Things Considered, Alan Cheuse described the novel as one that "pulls you in". Point of Direction was chosen by the American Booksellers Association as one of the top ten debuts of Spring 2014 (an Indies Introduce Pick) and by IndieBound as an I ...more
“A landscape that has the power to ask anyone, at any time, to measure all the hidden parts of themselves.” 1 likes