Start by marking “Safari Honeymoon” as Want to Read:
Safari Honeymoon

Safari Honeymoon

Join a pair of young newlyweds as they descend deep into a mysterious forest, encountering unknown creatures and unimaginable landscapes. Amongst the unusual flora and fauna, they discover within themselves something more strange and terrible than any sight their safari has to offer. Safari Honeymoon is a tale of jungle love and jungle madness.
Published June 3rd 2014 by Koyama Press (first published May 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Safari Honeymoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safari Honeymoon

Start your review of Safari Honeymoon
Jan Philipzig
Looking for the ultimate honeymoon experience, a newly married couple hire a guide to take them to a truly exotic location, one teeming with strange life forms and best described as an unimaginably alien version of a jungle. While the reader immediately realizes that the unfathomable flora and fauna is much more than what our couple bargained for, the blissfully ignorant honeymooners themselves continue to display a sense of entitlement that appears increasingly ludicrous in the context. To them ...more
Danger
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was totally up my alley. The art and the story work in perfect compliment, and take you on a acid-like journey across a surreal jungle. A thin comic, especially considering the focus is more the art than the dialogue, but damn, was this a weird little book.
Nate D
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-in-2014
A story of the hazards that the natural world lays out for the cavalier and lacking in respect, following a couple and their guide in the depths of the jungle. Jesse Jacobs' meticulous designs of alien flora and fauna sometimes push the mis-en-scene into the elegantly schematic (even as he intercuts narrative with abstraction and bits of natural history lecture or survivalist handbook). As such, this attains many things that I seek in fiction of any kind, even while being very very nice to just ...more
David Schaafsma
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-comics
This text operates in the province of Jim Woodring and Michael DeForge. And, I might contend, in a crazy way, Flletcher Hanks, whose insane You Shall Die of Your Own Evil Creation bears some connection to Jacobs. Both Hanks and Jacobs have jungles as locations. Both have these anachronistic characters that do not fit in the real world very well.

Jacobs is both a little scary about the nature of the jungle, and pretty funny. A stuffy couple in this goofy story are as stiff as the Hanks characters
ΞιsNιnΞ RΞχ~ΚαrnιFΞχ
'Visit fascinating alien worlds, discover bizarre jungles teeming with intelligent and wonderful new species... then kill them!'

Jesse Jacobs is fast establishing himself as one of the most gifted cartoonists to emerge in the last decade; he and fellow Canadian Michael Deforge are once again making the Great White North ground zero for a revolutionary shift in the aesthetics and storytelling of the comics avant garde. 'Safari Honeymoon' is the follow-up to Jacob's poignant and disturb
Udai
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, comics
Good nightmare material. I wanted it to be a bit longer.
Erica
I like to think I'd be like the wife in this story, accepting of unfamiliar, new environments. The thing is, though, if I started petting wild jungle creatures, they'd kill me. I know this. I sometimes try anyway, but the main reason I don't run after wildlife is because it will not turn out like this story. You don't just become one with your hostile environment because you want to.

Who am I kidding? I'd totally chase the forest monkeys. They're super neat.

I think I'm goi
Ollie
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Well, now I am completely convinced that Jesse Jacobs is trying to fuck with us. Or maybe it's Koyama Press for putting this book out. You know I can't quit you, Koyama.

But honestly, having read Jacobs' previous work (By This You Shall Know Him), I should actually be thankful that this is Jesse Jacobs' more grounded work of the two. Not that that's a good thing. While the narrative of By This You Shall Know Him is so far out it's literally in outer space (literally), Safari Honeymoon
Sonic
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Super weird and wonderful, Original story with an original approach! I feel this book is actually kinda pioneering in it's ability to get kind of abstract at times, but in a way that really works super well with the flow and content of the story!

Fun and funny,

and just a great premise.

(Consider this one)
Recommended.

Jeff Raymond
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this today, and it's a story about a couple on honeymoon in a jungle of some sort. The jungle is inhabited by any number of creatures that want to kill or destroy or possess them, and the safari guide has a quick trigger finger, and the artwork is intentionally disorienting and...

Honestly, I have no idea what to make of this at all. It's strange and weird and wonderful and I loved it, but I don't have any idea what is going on here at all. But everyone who likes comics in any
Alexandra
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
weird little book about a husband and wife on a safari. their guide is a little strange and so are all the flora and fauna and native animals. lots of wtf moments.

I loved the quality of the book itself. the pages were very much like the ones in a regular book, except a bit thicker and...grainier if that makes sense. a lot of graphic novels have glossy pages so I enjoyed the texture of this one. also the illustrations are mainly in shades of green and that was cool too. they were very
Spencer
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully illustrated and surreal safari into a dreamlike place filled with a multitude of exotic creatures and strange happenings. It’s wonderfully original and charms you with subtle humour and detailed vistas drawn by the immensely talented Jesse Jacobs. I especially liked that the colours were pretty much restricted to shades of green; it gave it a distinctive look which suited the story well.
Karrie Stewart
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
WTF did I just read?
vostendrasamigosyotengolibros
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
what can I say?, Jesse Jacobs it's great, I love it, he is a great autor.
Mayar El Mahdy
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm gonna have some very weird dreams tonight, so thanks for that.
Bill
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oddly unique, original, and beautiful graphic novel about the journey of a couple and their guide through a bizarre forest. The line drawings and limited color scheme add to the sense of wonder and threat throughout the story; I enjoyed how occasional pages between parts of the story depicted various odd creatures of the wild, or the rules of exploring and guiding, not unlike a travel guide for a place that only exists in the imagination of the author (and, now, the reader.)
Venus Maneater
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of moebius, eurocomix, karascoet
Shelves: comics
A very surreal comic that feels like Moebius told Jacobs to create a Herbarium and Bestiary in one, and don't forget the story, please. Make it love and Adam and Eve and bring man back to nature.

Everything is off. Not even slightly off, it is extremely off. Even worse: sometimes it feels really really off (like a particular parasite) and it turns out to be real. It's surreal and off and weird and you can't stop reading it.

Everything is weird except for the food. The dishes the coupl
Anthony Vacca
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lush and loopy illustrations bring to life the story of a honeymooning couple on safari in an extremely dangerous, parasite-infested jungle. Jacobs is obsessed with the body as both a horrific and beautiful subject. The flora and fauna of the jungle often have grotesque assemblages of somewhat human features; and usually the more innocuous or cuddly the creature, the more carnivorous. Is Jacobs striving for a transcendence of the misplaced faith in the shackles of Western civilized thought? Clos ...more
Jim N
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Safari Honeymoon is another strange, disturbing, amusing, endlessly inventive comic from cartoonist Jesse Jacobs. For me, there's no point in trying to describe work like this. It needs to be experienced.

Highly recommended, especially if you're looking for something different.
Evan
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wealthy couple from “the city” take their honeymoon in a remote, dangerous jungle. It’s just them and their elite guide, a man trained to protect them from the horrors of the wild (and prepare them culinary delicacies). Time and again the guide saves the group from sure death — but will their luck run out?

This is a very quick read, so it’s easy to forgive for not having much plot. It’s more of an illustrated poem. The grotesque, geometric artwork & designs are most of the fun f
Irene Benito
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, translated
The script is not groundbreaking, but really fun and entertaining, and I LOVE the drawings: quirky, psychedelic and beautiful designed.
Kristian Dobson
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super fun and surreal comic. Light on story but it makes up for it by being wildly inventive and just flat out crazy. Need to read more from this author.
Kate Atherton
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book, essentially, is pretty simple with COMPLEX drawings. Crisp clean drawings tell the story of a 'Safari Honeymoon' plagued with poisonous jungle creatures, giant beasts, psychic monkeys and PARASITES. A lot of this book's plot revolves around the main characters being invaded by terrifying parasites....their guide even has a tongue shaped parasite that ate out and replaced his tongue. This book somehow gets away with NOT being gross though because of the bright green colors and clean fl ...more
Meghan
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
At first I wished this was full-color instead of just green toned, but I realized it would become overwhelming. Strange, Jim Woodring-esque creatures transform across the pages, as a guide takes a husband and wife on a luxe safari getaway. Surreal in a dark way.
andrew y
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
That was a bizarre experience. To say the least. Excellent art and smirk-worthy story. I think it may have been trying to do more though.
Vince Coleman
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Oh man, this art is to die for. But don't actually die for it, though. You need to stay alive to read more cool stuff!!
Traa
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very strange. Very pretty.
Ricardo Baptista
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Jesse Jacob's story about a couple of newlyweds' jungle honeymoon quickly veers off into surrealist landscapes and situations. Really nice to look at.
Nikolas
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was an interesting take on the fear of infection and the natural world. I'm not sure whether I liked it or not, but it was effective in its unsettlingness, I'll give it that.
Kate

• Why Art?
  • Poochytown
  • Sticks Angelica, Folk Hero
  • Dressing
  • Megg  & Mogg In Amsterdam (And Other Stories)
  • Congress of the Animals
  • Parallel Lives
Jesse Jacobs was born in Moncton, New Brunswick, and now draws comics and things from his home in London, Ontario. He has worked on the Cartoon Network show Adventure Time and has appeared in the 2012 and 2013 editions of Best American Comics.
“There exists a future so bright that if you squint your eyes in the right direction you can see it shimmering in the distance.” 2 likes
“Most do not wish to hear what can be heard so easily, and therefore they deny that they hear anything at all.” 1 likes