Start by marking “And This Is Laura” as Want to Read:
And This Is Laura

And This Is Laura

Twelve-year old Laura is an ordinary person in a family of superstars. Her beautiful older sister is a talented actress, her older brother writes and performs music, and her little brother can recite every commercial on television from memory. Her parents are gifted, too—her mother is a famous author, her father a brilliant scientist. However, everything changes for Laura ...more
Published August 5th 2014 by Lizzie Skurnick Books (first published June 1st 1987)

Start your review of And This Is Laura
Gretchen Rubin
I bought this book for nostalgic reasons; I remember reading it in middle school. A charming book about a girl who develops the ability to see the future.
Ms. Yingling
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found a paper back in a donation box and read for comfort! I loved Conford's works as a middle school student, and find that they are still great realistic fiction choices, with little twists I would like to find in updated versions today. They are definitely dated, with references and lifestyles that are not reflective of a world 40 years after publication. But...sigh. Love!
Lala
Laura is boring. Laura is plain. Laura is average. Laura has ES-FUCKING-P. This is why the book about her rather her more popular, overachieving siblings. They can't give you tomorrow's winning lotto numbers!
JOCA
Mar 19, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
The problem with having a 12 year old protagonist is that they are 12 years old and, in this case, self-involved and bland. Even her suddenly having ESP isn't exciting when you have to get through so much droll first. This was a DNF for me.
Gloria Diaz
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in middle school, and I found it again at St. Vincent De Paul. Loved it! Laura feels that she's ordinary. She gets straight As in school, but feels that isn't enough. Her sister, Jill, bowls and has been in every high school play. Brother Douglas is on the debate team and plays piano. Dennis, the youngest, is counting to a million and recites commercials. And This is Laura--the title comes from Laura, who worries that when she is introduced, that her mother and/or father will ...more
Melody
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced and fun, this doesn't plow any new ground. The protagonist is the only person in a large family who feels talentless, until she realizes she's got a Gift- she can see the future! It's a super-quick read, and engaging throughout.
Mely
Childhood favorite, to reread. Reminded me of Paula Danzinger, good-humored, not so dry or so New York, more functional families.
Tricia Lynne
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still have it on my keeper shelf
yalini
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Esp.I wish it was real.
Monique
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As Laura copes with her family, she just stands in the background, not sharing the popularity of her own blood...

You see, in Laura's family, they have great, cool talents that others are very fond of... Whereas Laura is just announced as that only... "And this is Laura..." that's it! Not like her siblings or even her parents...

But as time comes, filled with yearning to at least be an ounce extra-ordinary, she finally gets her wish! She gets an excellent talent, however quite weird it is...

it's
Hillary
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Another great choice for reissue from Lizzie Skurnick! I really didn't think I had read this as a kid until I got to the part about the little brother's pith helmet - unless there's another book from this era with a kid brother and a pith helmet, because I remembered nothing else about this. But I remember having no idea what a pith helmet was.
skokiesam
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this today, and I remembered why I loved this so much as a kid. It says something about Ellen Conford that I read her book in 1988 and in 2008 (holy crap, 20 years later!) and still enjoyed it! It's up for grabs if anyone wants to read it. It'll take you less than a day to read, trust me.
Sara
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Ellen Conford novels, which I've read many times since I was a kid. Even though the main character is twelve, and just started junior high, she's smart, witty and hilarious. Her motley and multi-talented family members add a lot of flavor, and her quest to stand out among them makes for a fun read.
Amy Ravenel
Dec 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult
I haven't read this in forever (may have to check it out again), but this was the story that started my love for fantasy...even moreso than The Wizard of Oz. I love how Laura is a normal girl with one extraordinary quality. A good, good book.
Steph (loves water)
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Loved this book! A girl with psychic powers developing at the onset of puberty...I could relate! So happy to finally remember the name of this book, it's stayed with me all these years. Ellen Conford is a wonderful writer!
Lisa the Librarian
A bit of a stretch with the whole psychic angle and a 12 year old girl discovering her "powers".

It wasn't outstanding literature, but I enjoyed it. When I was between the ages of about 10-14 the supernatural type of stuff fascinated me. I would have LOVED this book back then.
Annie
Aug 31, 2014 added it
Shelves: ya, books-2014, reread
One of my favorite Lizzie Skurnick books so far. I read this as a kid and liked it; as an adult I appreciated the non-saccharin warmth of it.
Carmen Long
I'm rather surprised that people rate this as high as they do. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't all that great, either. I found it a bit boring.
Catherine  Mustread
Laura dislikes being the only "ordinary" member of the family. Then she discovers she has psychic powers and getss "visions" of the future. Grades 4+
Akilah
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Cute, compulsively readable story about a girl who wants to stand out in a family full of exceptional children. Ellen Conford is just the best.
Jasmine
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not sure if this is one of the first Ellen Conford books I read, but definitely one of my favorite.

Okay so they're all my favorite, actually. What's your point?
Janet
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
another "oldie but goodie" that came out when I was parenting young kids and missed reading
Blythe Jewell
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books during the tween/teen years -- loved its message about how we are all extraordinary, even when we think we're not. I've always remembered it!
Wendy
Dec 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Constance, it occurs to me that this hasn't come up previously in our ongoing discussion titled "Books Where They Put On a Play".
Elizabeth
Maybe my favorite of her novels.
Tracey
Mar 16, 2017
Noel
Jun 14, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Make a Wish (Wildfire, #42)
  • Christy's Senior Year (Wildfire, #61)
  • Christy's Love (Wildfire, #59)
  • Christy's Choice (Wildfire, #40)
  • Secret Love (Wildfire, #25)
  • Just a Summer Girl (Wildfire, #35)
  • The Wrong Boy (Wildfire, #41)
  • Sooner or Later
  • The Popularity Plan (Sweet Dreams, #2)
  • An April Love Story (Wildfire, #11)
  • He Loves Me Not (Wildfire, #33)
  • I'm Christy (Wildfire #2)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Dark Embrace