Start by marking “Cat Person” as Want to Read:
Cat Person

Cat Person

Cat Person is a collection of comics by cartoonist Seo Kim. Begun as a personal challenge to create daily, the comics feature a variety of themes from the silly to the serious. Characterized by a charming drawing style and frequently featuring the cartoonist and her farcical feline Jimmy, these are the best Sunday comics you've never seen.
Published May 13th 2014 by Koyama Press

To ask other readers questions about Cat Person, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Person

Start your review of Cat Person
karen
 photo IMG_5431_zpssp8b71rf.jpg

yeah, yeah, yeah, ANOTHER cartoon book centered around cats, go ahead and groan.

and now stop groaning, because this title is a tricksy one and it's only the first part of the book that is cat-centric. the rest focuses on the author/illustrator and her day-to day-life, romantic relationship, and it only occasionally returns to her cat.

i was cross about this discovery and i shouted my cross feelings, which woke up my cat and she yawned and her mouth was soooo big and triangle-shaped, i melted a little and r
Sarah Andersen
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought this as a gift for my mom but it's so hysterical and cute that I'm now mourning the fact that I have to give it away. Might go buy another copy....and so should you!
Erin
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-borrowed
So the illustrations weren't anything special but the parts that focused on Seo and Jimmy the Cat were laugh out loud funny.
Sam Quixote
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
If you read lots of contemporary indie comics like me, you’ll probably notice that Seo Kim’s Cat Person is a lot like them - A LOT. Checklist for an indie comic these days: cats, your slobbish self, and your other half.

Kim loves her cat Jimmy and plays around with him in her place. Besides the cat, she makes comics about eating too many oreos, texting too much, and lots of other mundane activities. And finally she makes comics about her boyfriend.

In subject matter, Cat Person is near identical
Anne ✨
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A quick read that made me smile but overall wasn’t a ‘laugh out loud funny’ experience for me. I appreciated the drawing style, and the cat cartoons were amusing and relatable, but the rest of it was just ‘ok’.
Athena Shardbearer
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Only a cat person can understand another cat person, its this weird in-sync feeling you get when you talk about how weird your cat is, how different they are and their personalities.

I’ve been a cat person since I was a kid. The first being a black cat name Shadow, later when I was 13 a tabby name Oliver, and then much later when I was 21 and was surprised with 3 month old Sphinx that I named Attila. Now I’m mommy to Jezebel and Shiboo as well! The love of cats is like a love hate relationship with chocolate. You
Raina
Not a cat person.
Still enjoyed it.
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud, a LOT.
Peter Derk
It's a quick read and a good laugh. Maybe like Hyperbole & a Half, but a bit more out there in terms of what happens and the illustrations.

Can I ask something? Who decided that in the world, there are cat people and dog people? How are those the two options? What about a lizard? That seems a lot more different. Or a parrot. If someone owns a dog or cat, that doesn't necessarily tell me a lot about them. If they own a parrot? It tells me the one thing I need to know, which is that we will ne
nuzha
3.5 stars, I think... I went into this expecting more cats, but only half the content revolves around them... I think I was just disappointed in that regard but the comics were really cute and relatable!!
Melissa Chung
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
OMG so funny. Just random comics by this author. Some of them have cats in it. Things cats do a lot that other people can find funny. Things you do on your own that people can find funny. Things you do with your significant other, sometimes with cats that people will find funny. The End.
Melissa
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This speaks to me on an essential level of my being. I miss having a cat in my life ):
dathomira
Apr 18, 2016 added it
Shelves: loved
I love this and also Alex ghost wrote this
Sarah Menezes
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Some days I eat two Oreos.
Some days I eat fifteen.
Some days I don't even eat any Oreos.
My life is just chaos".
- Seo Kim

I feel seen.
Callie Rose Tyler
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics

Surprisingly not all of the comics in this book are about cats...which was kind of a bummer since the cat comics were really the ones I loved. In general the comics consisted of the cartoonist, her cat, her boyfriend, and the procrastination involved in the creative process. Some of these were laugh out loud funny, others were very relateable, but some were a little confusing or just a little too simple to the point where I was unsure of what was happening.

The art aesthetic is not really my cup of tea but it
Katie
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xxread-in-2017
This is hilarious! And stupid, as many cat comics/crappily-drawn comics are. My husband and I both read it and would burst out laughing at the same ones. I especially liked when he said from the other room, "Why are all cats the same!" If you think it's going to be a serious book please take a look at the cover.

Also my man and I both lolled at the burnt sandwich. Glad I'm not the only one.
Randi
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, what a great book to start off the year with. I laughed out loud through the entire thing, this is one of those books you can always come back to and just flip to any page and get an instant smile.
Seo Kim is very good at putting quirky human and cat characteristics into entertaining and hilarious comics. I hope to see more from her in the future!
Amy
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
While this book was very relatable and the comics amusing, I was sad that only half of it involved cats.

The art style didn't bother me too much (because the main focus is the humor in the situation), BUT, what was up with her nose? That was the most distracting thing in the whole book and it loses a star just because of that. (The other star lost for not enough cats).
Valerie
I picked this up on a whim because the library had a graphic novels section. OF COURSE I like it because of all the cat related comics. I wish there was even more in the book. I also really enjoyed the comics with the main character's boyfriend. The whole thing was cute.
Kate (Lillytales)
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
absolutely loved this set of comics by Seo Kim. Hilarious, clever and very cute!
Basma
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The first part that's about her cat and the second part about herself are my two favorite parts. It's sad that it isn't all about cats but it's still adorable!! I really enjoyed this.
David Schaafsma
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Cute, adorable, funny.
Mirjam
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Isnt it unfair that to create a comic you have to be funny AND good with arts?! Well Seo Kim has it good cause she got both.

So as the title describes - I anticipated much more comics about cats. Because CATS!
Mostly insightful, funny and cute af. Some I didnt understand but eh thats art.
Kris
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quirky art and some laugh out loud parts. There are some seriously funny comics in here, and it is totally worth it to wade through the few that aren’t quite as great.
Stacy Fetters
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
The comics with Jimmy the Cat were funny and very relatable if you have any sort of furry animal. The illustrations weren’t anything to brag about but were extremely different.
What made me laugh the hardest was the miscellaneous comic about jam. That girl don’t know shit about jam!!
David Turko
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
super adorable and hilarious
Hollowspine
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm not a cat person, but I loved this awesome graphic novel. From the hilarious cover image to the profound thoughts on oreo consumption and forgotten utensils I loved them all.

I hope that Seo Kim continues to challenge herself to create daily, because in that scenario we all win! Her cat Jimmy is hilarious to read about and I loved her depiction of him as the greatest cat living, we all feel that about our pets.

I could definitely see that she is an artist involved in Adventure Time, but for
Fiery Jack
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, comix
It's cute and clever but mostly meh. The collection made more sense when I read that she challenged herself to make a comic a day for an undisclosed amount of time. Certainly explains the inconsistency. I like her style so I'm curious about her work with more thought and time put into it.

2.5

I feel guilty that this will go toward my book challenge because I read it in like 5 minutes. Eh, whatever.
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book in a comic shop and had never heard of it before. I opened up to a random page and wound up laughing out loud, making everyone in the quiet shop look up. I read half the book standing there in the store before I should buy it. I wound up going back and getting two more copies because it's a book I've wanted to gift to so many friends. Seo Kim's everyday comments on mundane internet habits, crappy food consumption, and cute pets reflect my life maybe way too much.
Kelsey
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Okay... My favorite tended to be the ones with jimmy (the cat). Also had a few that made me feel a little less weird; like the one where she balances a plate of food, cups, etc in one trip only to sit down and realize she forgot utensils. Kinda wish it had been more carefully curated instead of including comics that said stuff like " what should my comic be about?"
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Cats are Weird and More Observations
  • Cat vs Human
  • I Am Pusheen the Cat
  • Alone Forever: The Singles Collection
  • The Fox (Love, #2)
  • Sarah's Scribbles: Zine 01
  • Simon's Cat: Beyond the Fence (Simon's Cat, #2)
  • The Little World of Liz Climo
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 3
  • Poorly Drawn Lines: Good Ideas and Amazing Stories
  • Lobster Is the Best Medicine: A Collection of Comics About Friendship
  • Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1)
  • Breaking Cat News: Cats Reporting on the News that Matters to Cats
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations
  • Agenda Sarah's Scribbles: Organizarse no es un mito
  • Too Much Information (Unshelved, #9)
  • Displacement: A Travelogue
  • Herding Cats (Sarah's Scribbles, #3)
Seo Kim was born in Seoul, Korea, and then immigrated to Toronto, Ontario just a few months later. Kim currently lives in Los Angeles and works as a storyboard artist for the massively successful Cartoon Network show, Adventure Time.