Start by marking “A Hole in My Heart” as Want to Read:
A Hole in My Heart

A Hole in My Heart

Starting a new life after the death of her mother, Nora learns how to be strong.

Are there wounds too deep to heal, pains too sharp to share? And if a family survives by cutting the ties that bind them, can they ever be whole again?

After losing her mother to illness and her father to his work, Nora Mackenzie must leave her home in the interior of B.C. for a North Vancouve
Published September 13th 2014 by Dundurn (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Hole in My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hole in My Heart

Kristine
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...
I received an advanced readers copy of this book from Dundurn Press via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

This is a sweet story about a twelve year old girl who is undergoing many changes in her life and the emotions that go with it. It is about her struggle to understand her feelings and those around her. She has lost her mother, moved to a new place where she can't seem to make friends and at t
Meghann (Becoming Books)
This was not an easy read for me. I found myself wanting to speed up just to get through the pages and see what the point was. Personally, I did not connect with the characters even though I did feel that the overall message was 1) an important one for the reading age group and 2) the message was displayed in more than one scenario.

Through Nora we're able to meet a variety of characters who are each coping or working through their grief. I did appreciate this approach because I feel like someti
Brittney Martinez
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley. Here are my thoughts.

This book is great for boys and girls ages 10 - 12. The voice of the main character, a 12 year old girl, is easy to discern. Everything you love and hate about young girls can be heard in this one's voice. It has a certain naivety and can also be very annoying. It will probably ring more true to its target audience than a woman in her mid-20s.

The book has a heavy medical theme which will be great for readers that alre
Karen
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In A Hole in My Heart by Rie Charles, one hole is in Nora’s heart from losing her mother, the other is a physical hole in her cousin Lizzie’s. With sweater sets, snail mail, autograph book inscriptions, and skedaddling, this gritty story accurately conveys life in 1959 British Columbia and the unmasked struggles of these cousin-friends. In the midst of their grief and fear, with Lizzie’s high-risk open-heart surgery looming, the gift of a neighbour’s kittens gives them comfort. Who knew bran muf ...more
Ursula
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hole in My Heart is another slight tear jerker. It is about a girl who loses her mother to illness. Her name is Nora and she and her Dad go live closer to her sisters. Nora's cousin Lizzie is ill and comes to stay with Nora while visiting doctors. The story is about facing what is in the future and letting go of the past. Nora learns the ability to move forward at the same time. This is definitely a young girls book about moving forward through tough times.
Jessica
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
There were quite a few areas that just don't make any sense and I couldn't tell what was going on or what they were talking about, for example the end of chapter 8 didn't make any sense. I was halfway through before I realized the only reason I was trying so hard to read it was to review it and that I wasn't enjoying the story.
Angela Scott
I was very confused at the beginning of this book about the time period it took place in, there seemed to be some inconsistencies. I also felt disconnected from the characters for a long time. Overall, the book turned out alright, it just seemed like a long book for being so short.
Julie
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a book were you will need the tissues love it started to read it and was unable to put it down. Its a difficult subject but it's well worth the read.
M Holm
Shelves: reviewed
Review to come for SLJ
Margaret Bryant
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow -- did I ever enjoy this book. Read it in one sitting.
Mairrca
Pam
Wendi Dusek
Ang
Jul 29, 2014
Rie Charles was born in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia and has recently returned there. She spent much of the intervening time in other parts of Canada and the world, including Ontario, Great Britain, the Netherlands, and Australia. She holds a Masters degree in social work, plays the harp, teaches yoga, and reads voraciously.

Over the years she has worked at many jobs, including teaching