Start by marking “Don't Die with Your Music Still in You: A Daughter's Response to Her Father's Wisdom” as Want to Read:

In 2001, Dr. Wayne Dyer wrote a book called 10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace, based on the most important principles he wanted his children to live by. Serena Dyer, one of those children, has contemplated these ideas throughout her life. “Don’t die with your music still in you” has been the most important principle for Serena: to her, it means that you don’t allow ...more
Paperback
Published June 16th 2014 by Hay House, Inc. (first published June 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Die with Your Music Still in You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Die with Your Music Still in You

Start your review of Don't Die with Your Music Still in You: A Daughter's Response to Her Father's Wisdom
Sojourner
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Several years ago, Dr. Wayne Dyer wrote a book 10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace which contained ten instructive, path-breaking and illuminating secrets:
The First Secret: Have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing
The Second Secret: Don’t die with your music still in you
The Third Secret: You can’t give away what you don’t have
The Fourth Secret: Embrace silence
The Fifth Secret: Give up your personal history
The Sixth Secret: You can’t solve a problem with the same mind that
Pat Collingwood-Ruppel
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book by Serena Dyer, Dr. Wayne Dyer's daughter. Great read with a different perspective on living a spiritual life coming from a young person's take. I loved it.
Sharon Powers
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Book Review by: Sharon Powers. [This book is an Advance Reader Copy (ARC) for review from NetGalley.]

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. [Inigo advances on Rugen...] Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. [Inigio advances and parries Rugen's attack...] Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. [Count Rugen:] Stop saying that! [Rugen attacks, but Inigio parries Rugen and wounds him...] HELLO! MY NAME
Cloris Kylie
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ten Secrets for Success and Inner Peace by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer is one of my top favorite books; concise, yet full of wisdom. That’s why I was so excited when I heard that Serena Dyer, Dr. Dyer’s daughter and one of my radio show guests, had written a book based on the ten secrets in Dr. Dyer’s book.

Why read a book about a book? Because every author offers a unique perspective that enriches the original message. This is what Dr. Dyer did when he wrote his interpretation of the Tao Te Ching: Change
Unigami
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've always wondered if Wayne Dyer was "the real deal". I've been a big fan for many years, so I got pretty excited last year when I heard that a memoir was coming out from one of his children. Could it be a scandalous exposé??? Probably not...my hopes for something juicy were dashed when I learned that it was going to be a collaboration between Wayne and his daughter Serena. I put the book on my back-burner "to read" list.

Sadly, my interest in this book was renewed after Wayne passed away
Heather Fineisen
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am a believer, a fan, a reader of Wayne Dyer and thank my mother for introducing him to me. I wish I would have had this book in my teens and twenties as Serena Dyer breaks down her dad's teachings in a relatable way. I am glad to have read this as a parent because Dad Dyer throws his two cents in at the end of each chapter and there are some teachable moments for both parent and offspring. We are all human and we all make mistakes. What an opportunity to learn from someone else's! Definitely ...more
Karin
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Serena gives examples of how her parents' principles have helped her in her own life. Wayne does a lot of telling of his ideas, but not too much showing how they worked in his own life. Serena also writes well.
Neila
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and profound

This Boole moved me to tears several times reminding me where my focus needs to be and how we all get caught up in the physical world. It inspires me to be a inspired mom to my three beautiful kids.
Lin Toms
Aug 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
A writer too immature to write anything deep or of value. An attempt to sell a book using the fame of her father. She might be her father's daughter, but she's not her father's writer. Very disappointed.
Linda Breiding
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I thought it was a great introduction to Wayne Dyer's philosophy on life and perfect for a younger public.
Jennifer England
Everyone should read this. Beautifully written. Serena you are an inspiration just like your Dad! I am so glad you decided to write this book. Thank you.
Sandra
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Insightful book. It was nice to hear how Dyer's daughter saw things. After she addressed a topic, he would give his say.
Annie Hurley
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help-books
"When we hide who we really are in order to fit in or belong, we are suffocating our souls." Serena Dyer

Would you like to start leading a more meaningful life today, but sometimes struggle with balancing “real life” and following the seemingly complex spiritual principles out there? If so, Don't Die with Your Music Still in You: My Experience Growing Up with Spiritual Parents by Serena Dyer is for you!

Spiritual Technology

Don't Die with Your Music Still in You is Serena Dyer's recount of what it
Shannon L. Gonzalez
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Don’t Die with Your Music Still in You
My Experience Growing Up with Spiritual Parents\
By Serena J. Dyer

With the introduction of Serena J. Dyer, daughter of world renowned author/speaker Dr. Wayne W. Dyer, this debut book is full of the wisdom anecdotes expected from Dr. Wayne Dyer. Yet it adds in a welcome twist in the fact it is through Serena’s eyes and point of view.

She chronicles parts of her childhood as she learned important lessons from both of her parents. Many of these lessons crossed
Becca Chopra
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am always inspired by Wayne Dyer, but don't always find it easy to take his advice and live it, even when I totally agree, for instance, that negative thinking or resentment weaken you. I know that to be true, but oh, we are all so human and full of ego at times! So I was very interested to see if growing up in the household of this spiritual teacher made it that much easier.

Serena Dyer's account of life with two spiritual parents was enlightening as well as very interesting. She followed the
Leanna Manuel
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a Wayne Dyer fan for a very long time. A few weeks ago I fulfilled a long-time dream of seeing him speak at a Hay House Event in Denver. People who know me won’t be surprised to know that I spent a long time browsing the books that were for sale at the event. Among others, I picked up this book. The sentiment of not dying without fulfilling your destiny was not new to me but I thought it would be interesting to know what growing up with Wayne Dyer as your father would be like, since ...more
Christine Zibas
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wayne Dyer has long been known as a public speaker and new age guru, who is also a best-selling author of many, many books. (He frequently turns up on PBS during fund-raising times.) This book is the work of his daughter, who has taken the lessons that her father shared in his book "10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace," and shows how she has applied them in her own life (as well as providing examples of other Dyer students). After giving her take on each of the 10 secrets, her father provides ...more
David Geschke
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge Wayne Dyer fan, so this book which was written by his daughter Serena caught my attention right away. It's basically a retelling of Wayne's book "10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace", which was based on the most important principles he wanted his children to live by - but from Serena's perspective.

It took me a while to get going with this book, but I'm glad I stuck with it through the end. Many of the things she talks about are topics I've seen before in Wayne's books over the
Omar Taufik
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenge
This is a book that made me feel good while reading it and when finally finishing it.
Easy to read, easy to understand, and to relate to and apply in many life aspects.

The author, Serena Dyer, daughter of the late Wayne Dyer, wrote this book based on her father's ten secrets to success and inner peace. The secrets which he left to his children in a book he wrote.

Serena puts her personal input on her father's ten secrets along with real life examples from her upbringing as how growing up with
Andy Nieradko
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you've been following the work of Dr. Wayne Dyer, you will love this book. His daughter Serena has written beautifully about what it was like to grow up with parents who have "weird" ideas. The stories from her childhood are insightful and interesting. For a young woman, she writes with great wisdom and clarity. Each chapter of the book echos Dr. Dyer's classic 10 Secrets to Success and Inner Peace. Very significant since that book was originally written for the benefit of his children. What ...more
Pamela
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Serena Dyer’s intended audience, I think, are those who are wanting to explore living life with meaning, to live with purpose, and discover what feeds his/her soul.

That being said, I’m sure the author has many good ideas on spirituality - having grown up with spiritual parents. However, the ideas she writes about in this book are not really original to her. The ideas are her father’s. She even chose to entitle her chapters from the chapters of one of his earlier books. To add insult to injury,
Elizabeth Hamilton-Guarino
I am proud to issue Serena Dyer and her book Don't Die with Your Music Still in You my Best Ever You Blue Ribbon Award for Excellence. As a sibling in the middle of 10 brothers and sisters and as a mother of four teenage sons ages 13, 15, 17 and 19, I would highly recommend this book. I think it is beautifully written and what wonderful gift to always treasure to have written a book with your dad!

Don’t Die with Your Music Still In You is a well-written book about many self-improvement topics
Nata Mileto
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm sorry, but I just couldn't finish this book! I feel if Serena wrote this book in 20 years it would be amazing! Easier relatable stories in her 20's rather than her childhood. I couldn't cope with the "when I was 5...." I found it hard to relate. Although I did read all of her fathers summaries at the end of each chapter! They were a great addition. Potential to be a great writer, just needs to find her own voice and not her fathers....
Ola
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Loved hearing from the daughter of Wayne. She offered great perspective on lessons learned. I so appreciate that she opened herself up to the world, in order that we may journey along with her, or rather, her journey along with us. I highlighted a ton of tidbits and look forward to jotting those down as a recap for me. Highly recommended.
Jane King
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Everyone should read this book. It's telling of who we are as an involving species. I've read a lot and seen a lot of people speak. What I gained in this book that no one has really spoken to my heart about before was, to live fully - is to live without shame. Remove all barriers with shame and you will live free.
Kim
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the writings of Wayne Dyer and thought it would be an interesting perspective to read a book written by his daughter. She's had many of her own experiences in applying the principles her father taught her growing up. Although I enjoyed her perspective, this book had too much information to wrap my mind around in each sitting.
V
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this one better tahan others I got from goodreads early reads because it read a little easier and was more down to earth. Not that the others weren't good just didn't seem as relevant as this one
Chas Emme
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an Inspiration!

I love being mentored by Wayne Dyer's teachings, and this book is a fascinating look into the life of one who experience that mentoring first hand - his daughter. What a simple and powerful book this is.

Ilana Eisenhart
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a recap of Wayne Dyer's teachings coming from the point of view of his daughter. She shows how she applied his teachings to her own life experiences. There is nothing new here in this book. If you are a fan of Wayne Dyer's this is not a must-have book. It is a light and quick read.
Melanie Josephine
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Out of all the books I read in 2016- this was my favourite! Serena writes very authentically and very honest about her life. I also enjoyed Waynes opinion after every chapter.

• I Can See Clearly Now
  • Wishes Fulfilled: Mastering the Art of Manifesting
  • The Shift: Taking Your Life from Ambition to Meaning
  • Allmen und die Libellen
  • The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump
  • Life's Golden Ticket
  • Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
  • Wayne Dyer: Power of Intention Summary: Wayne Dyer, Wayne Dyer Book, Wayne Dyer Guide, Wayne Dyer Wisdom, Wayne Dyer Lessons
  • You'll See It When You Believe It
  • Spiralize It!: Creative Spiralizer Recipes for Every Type of Eater
  • Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao
  • Getting in the Gap
  • The Love Dare
  • ThetaHealing: Introducing an Extraordinary Energy Healing Modality
  • Living the Wisdom of the Tao
  • The Danish Way of Parenting: What the Happiest People in the World Know About Raising Confident, Capable Kids
  • The Life of Samuel Johnson
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream? (Elephant & Piggie, #15)
Growing up with spiritual parents has taught me that receiving all the love and wisdom in the world is a beautiful thing, but it won’t help you, until you learn to love and treasure every part of yourself.

This self-understanding was a long time coming—I have struggled with my biggest fear, which has always been living someone else’s dharma, life, or dream while being too afraid to go after my own.
“no one wants to be told what to do. No one wants to be slapped around and owned and controlled—we all just want to be left alone to listen to our souls and be who we are. When we’re able to be ourselves, our soul grows and expands. This allows us to live out our dharma. When someone tries to restrict us or tell us who to be, what to believe in, who to be like, or what rules to follow, they’re doing more than controlling us; they’re crushing a part of our soul.” 1 likes
“I have often used these words of the great poet Kahlil Gibran from his timeless tome, The Prophet: Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.” 0 likes