Start by marking “The Door” as Want to Read:
The Door

The Door

For years, the door has stayed closed. Hannah Silver hardly notices it as she goes about her strange life in an isolated lighthouse. But when a pair of mysterious strangers -- a boy and his guardian -- show up at the lighthouse, things start to go very wrong. Hannah's life is shattered. And the door is now wide open.

In order to save herself and her family, Hannah must walk
Published April 29th 2014 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door

Start your review of The Door
jv poore
Where do we go when we die? An age old question, an utterly unique interpretation.

The two member Silver family is beyond eccentric. Twelve year old Hannah and her apparently hapless mother Leanna exist together in the sprawling Cliffhouse. Their lives, however; are quite separate with Hannah essentially orbiting Leanna, tuned to her many moods easily identified by the state of her fingernails and cuticles and counting “big-girl” glasses of wine.

Because of her unconventional upbringing, it isn’t
Ash Wednesday
2 STARS
”If you’re lonely right now, you have to understand that it’s not half as lonely as you’ll feel for the rest of your life, once you know what I know.”

Full disclosure, I didn’t realise this was a Middle Grade book until I got approved for this galley. The last MG book I read was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. So I was expecting to feel out of my element while reading this, only to be surprised how fascinating this turned out.

In the beginning anyway.

I really liked how manic th
Rebecca May
Aug 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
I listened to this book as an audiobook while driving. I often find interesting and enjoyable books in the children's audio section at the library. Since it was published by Scholastic, I had high expectations. I was completely disappointed.

The first couple chapters were fascinating. I recognized the signs of schizophrenia and paranoia in the main character, Hannah, and then saw that her mother had mental illness as well. I was intrigued as to how a juvenile fiction book would deal with these is
Ellie
Apr 25, 2021 rated it did not like it
i am SO SORRY but this book is terrible. i understand that the author took a ton of time to write it and i feel bad but watching GRASS GROW would be more interesting to do. i literally can't process this story, and i know it's not just me because other reviews say it's bad and i can follow every other book fine. the beginning was spicy, i'll give it that. but the rest. LET ME TELL YOU. it is SO AWFUL. if your considering reading this i'm living proof that your life will be 100 times better if yo ...more
Suzan Jackson
Come along with 12-year-old Hannah on a magical adventure through a mysterious door to a unique, fantastical world as she searches for her mother - creative, twisty & riveting.

(CAUTION: Most other reviews here include huge spoilers!)

Read my full review (no spoilers) and listen to a sample of the audiobook:

Mary Lou
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Didn't realize it was a super natural book didn't finish ...more
Anya
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Door by Andy Marino is a middle-grade fantasy that explores the idea of an afterlife in a city very similar to the real world but fantastical in its own way. The Door also features a protagonist with some mental and social quirks, which hooked me immediately since that is something I don’t see explored enough in speculative fiction. However, The Door stumbled into many of the typical middle-grade traps by not having a strong plot and failing to explore the interesting aspects of the premise. ...more
Jenny Boyce
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was ok

I was incredibly disappointed in this book. I thought the premise of this book sounded really interesting but the execution fell a little flat. While I can't say that I disliked the book, it was certainly a huge disappointment and definitely not the quality book I expected.

The biggest problem that I had with this book was the plot. The story itself sounds interesting enough; a young girl, Hannah, (who hears voices) ventures into the world of the dead in se
Eden Grey
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle_grade
Reminiscent of Clive Barker's ABARAT series, THE DOOR is a magical adventure filled with twisty turns and strange wonders.

This story is so much more strange and magical than you would ever expect. Just look at that cover. Read the synopsis. Sounds a bit droll, right? It is anything but!

The protagonist, Hannah Silver, is quite likable and endearing. She's a strange girl who lives in a lighthouse with her oddly paranoid mother. Just when Hannah thinks she's going to be a normal girl and go to sc
Nikki
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
My copy was provided by Netgalley.

Hannah has lived an isolated life her entire life. She lives in an isolated lighthouse away from people, away from real life, but she's okay with that. Hannah doesn't care that she might be considered weird for living in a lighthouse. She's satisfied with her life inside until two strangers arrive and open Pandora's box. The door separating the dead from the living is open when Hannah travels into the world of the dead to find a certain person. There are people
Lynda
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, other-worlds
The first in a long time that I really didn't like. Hannah lives with her mother in a lighthouse, but "sees" many things that you wonder if they are really there. When she finds her mother dead, she goes through a door and enters another reality of souls living in many different kinds of "cities." It was a little too weird for me. Too fantastical I guess. I didn't really invest in the plot or characters to care what was happening and found myself just skimming through the weird descriptions, jus ...more
Cathal Reynolds
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
BUT WHAT. THAT ENDING. I'M SO CONFUSED. THAT IS LITERALLY NOT AN ENDING.
Is there going to be a sequel or something? Or even just a short story that ends it properly. Everything was tied up at the end, nice and neat, except for THIS ONE MASSIVE THING THAT'S REALLY GETTING TO ME.
Aside from that, I very much enjoyed this books. The main character wasn't even that annoying for once, and there was no romance to speak of, and it was more of a realistic fantasy, if that made sense. I love the idea of t
Jamie
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Enh, it was ok. I like the idea of the connection between Earth and where we go after death, but parts of the story were really confusing. Hannah is very odd and it was hard to connect with her. It is never explained where Nancy, Belinda, and Albert come from (or go to for that matter). There does not appear to be a sequel and the ending leaves you with a lot of questions.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
I'm a big fan of the fantasy genre, but this story just got strange. I don't like giving up on books, but I was complaining to much while reading it. It was too unbelievable. I'm glad other readers enjoyed it, but it was not a book for me. Happy reading, The Door reader! For now, I'm going to pass.

Progress: 37% (Chapter 16)

Reviewed from a NetGalley copy. Thank you, Scholastic!
Cindy Kleback
Middle grade fantasy that didn't live up to the promise of its premise. ...more
Ellie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
After I picked up the book, I could not stop reading it. At first, I thought that the beginning was slightly boring but the plot sped up quickly.
Rebecca Hagin
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I'd put this book in the teen fantasy category. Not for me but ok but not for me ...more
Levi
Mar 30, 2016 added it
i loved it wish there was a sequel
Lanelle
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
Odd. Trippy. Unexplainable. I guess I can understand this type of book if it were intended for adults, but not for 10-12 year-olds.
Catrina Althaus
It was a good book. At some points it got kind of boring though. It had really good characters. I liked reading it. I would recommend it to others.
Alison
Jul 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I like the first chapter. Otherwise...Ugg. It was like being in someone's drug induced dream. ...more
One Girl Collecting
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, ya
Very interesting and imaginative. I'm hoping the ending leads to a second book and not just a foggy haze of unresolved-ness. ...more
LisaSunshineGirl
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I listened to this as a book-on-audio, and it kept me mesmerized all the way through. What I liked best about this book was its unpredictability. Kept me guessing all the way through...
Gaby
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
This was truly bizarre, but enjoyable.
Meghan
readers: the door 1 1 Nov 19, 2015 07:38PM
People Read This! 1 1 Nov 04, 2015 07:00AM

• The Gravedigger's Son
  • Grave Images
  • The Dark Unwinding (The Dark Unwinding, #1)
  • The Danger Box
  • A Spark Unseen (The Dark Unwinding, #2)
  • Claws
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • The Riders of High Rock (Hopalong Cassidy #3)
  • The Princess Bride
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • Sycamore
  • The Lock Artist
  • The Pursuit of Holiness, includes Study Guide
  • 100 Days to Brave: Devotions for Unlocking Your Most Courageous Self
  • Camp X (Camp X, #1)
  • Camp 30 (Camp X, #2)
  • Fool's Gold (Camp X, #3)
  • The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #1)
Andy Marino was born in upstate New York, spent half his life in New York City, and now lives in the Hudson Valley. He is the author of seven novels for young readers, most recently THE PLOT TO KILL HITLER trilogy.

THE SEVEN VISITATIONS OF SYDNEY BURGESS is his first novel for adults.