Start by marking “Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)

Sky on Fire

(Monument 14 #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  9,773 ratings  ·  1,101 reviews
Trapped in a superstore by a series of escalating disasters, including a monster hailstorm and terrifying chemical weapons spill, brothers Dean and Alex learned how to survive and worked together with twelve other kids to build a refuge from the chaos. But then strangers appeared, destroying their fragile peace, and bringing both fresh disaster and a glimmer of hope.

Knowi
Published May 6th 2014 by Square Fish (first published May 28th 2013)

karen
OOOOOH! this is my 2,000th review! think hard about balloons and cake and it will be like we are having a celebration!

this book is 215 pages. and that's 215 YA pages, with all the normative font/margins/pacing of YA. which means you can read this book in an hour or so. now for me, doing my "catch-up on YA series i started and never finished" program it's fine, cuz i have the third book right here ready to go. but how very frustrating for people who were reading this series as it was published, t
Giselle
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
*Spoiler free for the series*

Sky on Fire, the sequel to Monument 14, is more action packed and exciting, but the writing is still filled with irritating quirks that doesn't allow me to give it a higher rating, no matter how much I might have enjoyed the rest--which was actually quite a bit.

Since we're at it, let me tell you what I mean about the writing. I knew from the first book that the author likes to write as if her readers are a little… slow? The first novel was filled with commentaries an
Sarah Churchill
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic continuation of the story with a lot of action and emotion. As with book 1 the inclusion of both teenagers AND little kids is what makes me feel so invested in the characters, and a little bit teary a couple of times! I enjoyed the dual POV of Alex and Dean, two brothers that we're separated in book 1 and have their own battles to fight throughout the story, it's nice to have two very different voices but both gunning for the same outcome - basically to survive and rescue these kids. ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
If I reviewed this book with just one word, that word would be UGH. Honestly, I enjoyed Monument 14 when I read it last year. I'm not sure whether it's actually better than Sky on Fire or if, because of my monumental reading challenge, I was just happy to read something so fast-paced. Either way, Sky on Fire is just sad. I hate making such a pronouncement, but the quality of the writing, the flat characters, and the discomfiting portrayal of women combined to make this a horrid read for me.

Warni
Cynn
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

NONONONOONONONONONONONNO

No puedo...simplemente no puedo.

Realmente intenté hacer una reseña pero todavía no encuentro cómo empezar. Sin dudas esta trilogía se está convirtiendo en una de mis favoritas.

Me hizo reir,sorprenderme, preocuparme y hasta darme escalofríos. De verdad que el final fue... ¿WHAT?.

Voy a esperar unos días más, porque tengo que reseñar esto..y tengo que hacerlo bien
Caru
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4 Stars

My Opinion of This Book: Definitely better than the first book!
_________________________________________________

Wow..this book. Guys, I basically hated the first book, but I decided to give this series another chance. So I go to Barnes & Noble, pick it up, and expect to just read one or two chapters (because, you know, the first one was bad, so why would this be good?), but instead I read the whole entire thing. In one sitting. At B&N. I haven't finished a book in one sit
Victor Almeida
Argh! Malditas expectativas.

O segundo livro de Monument 14 me deixou um pouco insatisfeito, no geral. Eu não sei se me cansei da história ou do gênero, ou se ele simplesmente não precisava ser uma trilogia. O problema é o seguinte: nada significativo aconteceu em grande parte do livro. Parecia uma repetição do primeiro, e eu já estava começando a ficar cansado com os eventos e com os personagens. Falando nisso, alguns deles passaram a me irritar.

Meus olhos começaram a enxergar um monte de atitud
Macarena Yannelli
El que eligió la tipografía para el segundo punto de vista es ciego y le importa poco que la gente pueda leer el libro (?
Más allá de eso, la serie debería terminar acá.
Justin
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Rating: 4.5 stars] They should really do half stars.

”We didn’t die. Stay safe…or get to Denver.”

The brothers have separated. Alex, Niko, Sahalia, Josie, and Brayden, along with Max, Ulysses, and Batiste, have taken their old school bus to Denver Intl Airport to try to get rescued, while Dean, Astrid, Chloe, and the twins Henry and Caroline stay behind in the store, knowing that they will become O monsters once exposed to the chemicals. While Dean and the others at the store have some gang pro
Jenn
2.5

This book was extremely hard for me to get through. I enjoyed Monument 14. It wasn’t without its faults, but the overall story was okay. I was extremely interested in reading the sequel because I wanted to know how everything turned out. Would the kids be saved? Would they make it to Denver? Would they find their families? Honestly, halfway through the book, I just didn’t care anymore.

Maybe it was me. I know, personally, I’m not a fan of end of the world type scenarios where it showcases the
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
There really aren’t that many post-apocalyptic trilogies I truly enjoy, but the raw realism of Laybourne’s apocalyptic vision, the sheer probability of it all, is what makes her series stand out in the sea of post-apocalyptic reads out there. The point of these books, I think, is to convince the readers they’re entirely possible, and with Monument 14, my mind was free of doubts from the start.

In Sky of Fire, our small group of young survivors split into two groups. The larger group, lead by Nico
Vixen
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! O_O!

Okay, this book was pretty crazy! Though, I have to admit it wasn't as crazy as the first one. And while I'm admitting, I'll go ahead and say that I honestly didn't understand the series being title Monument 14, until in this book when Alex had called them the survivors the Monument 14. That was met with a face palm and an outspoke "No Shit!"

Anyways....

Once again, I was kept entertained and immediately pulled--DOVE--into the story. Easily reading through and being able to remember and
Giselle
When we left off in Monument 14, half of the kids left on a bus to get help and the other stayed behind in the Greenway. This time we see more of the rotting world and how truly desperate humans are to survive.

Reading this felt so real. That something as horrible as the end of the world could happen. What these characters went through are too realistic. Especially when they encounter other groups of people who want nothing but their resources and will leave them for dead. Not only did Emmy Laybo
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

♥ Find my reviews here: Literary Meanderings

- - -

**Contains spoilers for the first book in the series—Monument 14**

Sky on Fire picks up immediately after the events of it's predecessor. The original group of kids & teens has split into two parts. Most of them are on the school bus, heading for the Denver International Airport—a place they were told would offer help to an injured friend and help organize a rescue party for those left behind. Among those on the Denver-bound bus is Alex, brothe
Shawna
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
It's not very often that a sequel is just as if not better than the first book. But this one totally delivered!

"Sky on Fire" picks up right where "Monument 14" left off. We alternate between brothers Dean and Alex's POV.

Half of the kids have left the safety of the Greenway to seek help at the Denver Airport. The bus is running and stocked. Faced with unimaginable obstacles, the kids slowly make their way through what are now nothing but wastelands. Will they make it?

The other half are still insi
Jenny
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic follow up to Monument 14! Full of non stop action and suspense. I read it all in one sitting!
Amy
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-owned
A nice continuation to the series.
Anne Fadzil
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I like it. This second book doesn't have that 2nd-book-bad-luck to me. Most of all, because I got to know what happen to them. They survived! Yayyy! Alex and Niko lived! Dean too!

But Josie tho. Next book is gonna be all about her. Somebody has to rescue her. After all she has done and Mario too! They would not have made it if it weren't for them both.

Brayden died tho. The stupid cadet gang killed him. It was so tense when Alex was coming to rescue Dean. Godd thank God they made it. You see, in
erigibbi
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intrappolati in un supermercato, i fratelli Dean e Alex hanno dovuto imparare a sopravvivere. Insieme ad altri dodici ragazzi hanno costruito un rifugio sicuro, lontano dal caos circostante. Ma questa fragile pace non è destinata a durare.

Sapendo che le armi chimiche hanno reso tossica l’aria all’esterno, in grado di trasformare gli esseri umani in creature assetate di sangue, Dean decide di rimanere nel covo insieme con Astrid e alcuni dei ragazzi più piccoli, mentre Alex è determinato a uscire
Bayram F.
Monument 14: Sky on Fire by Emmy Laybourne is the sequel to Monument 14 and the second book in the trilogy. I bought my copy of Monument 14: Sky on Fire about a week after buying Monument 14 and read it one or two weeks after. It had a good amount of improvements over the previous book and I enjoyed it even more than I did the other one.

Emmy Laybourne continued the story of Dean and the kids stuck in the Greenway with Monument 14: Sky on Fire, only this time the story is split into two POV's. On
Riley Blue
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Riley Blue by: Circe
Increíble. Sencillamente increíble.

Si me encantó Monument 14, puedo decir que Sky on Fire me ha enamorado. Es grandioso.

El libro está narrado ésta vez no sólo por Dean si no también por su hermano, Alex. Ellos están separados buscando sobrevivir y se enfrentan a el triple de peligros y desgracias que antes. No se imaginan todo lo que tienen que pasar estos chicos para seguir con vida. A pesar de que el libro es muy sencillo en cuanto a su narración eso no impide engancharse con la historia y en
Anne
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english
I had the same problems with this book as I had with the previous one.
There is an overall lack of emotion, everyone seems a bit too calm, no build-up to emotional or important scenes and I just cannot connect with the characters.
The sentences are kept short (often too short) and read more like a bad journal than a book. This makes the story feel flat, even though the plot in itself is fantastic.
During the last 100 pages, I often had to shake my head at how ridiciously easy some things were resol
Nata
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Čím sa líši táto časť od jednotky?
1)Bolo to akčnejšie! Oveľa akčnejšie! Veľa krvi, mŕtvych a motorové píly!
2)Tým pádom to bolo aj zaujímavejšie a desivejšie!
3)Niektoré postavy by som najradšej na začiatku alebo prvých sto strán prizabila (že Dean?)
4)Ak tretia časť sa skončí zánikom ľudského života, tak možno trojke dám 5* alebo aspoň 4,5*, pretože táto séria má rozhodne potenciál a ja nutne potrebujem poslednú časť!
Ben Alderson
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING! Great sequel ! :D
Dinah Browne
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dinah by: Jemima Browne
Loved it.
I can't wait to read the next one!
Natalie
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping the second book would be better, and thought that it would be for a couple of reasons.
1. I had a feeling it would be Dual POV, and thought that would add to the story
2. Since it wouldn't be the author's first book anymore, I thought her writing would improve.

It is in fact, told in dual POV, but for me, it didn't help the story whatsoever. And the writing was sadly not any better than the first book.
I thought most of the plot was boring and tedious, as it talked about a lot of every
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay) Partrick
david y biblioflick

I am disappointed in the second book (not disappointed because it sucked or bad but it is shorter than the first one, the shortest in the trilogy... so not much have happened.)

So the second started where the book one ended (immediately). It is told in two alternating POVs (Dean & Alex), with Dean telling the story on what is happening in the Greenway Mall and Alex telling on their journey to Denver.

Dean counting the days until (view spoiler)
So the Os Dean, A
Jasi
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dean sitzt noch immer mit Astrid, Chloe und den Zwillingen im Greenway, einem Einkaufszentrum fest. Die anderen sind inzwischen mit dem Bus unterwegs zum Flughafen in Denver, dort wartet angeblich das Militär und Evakuierungstrups. Doch natürlich warten auf der Reise einige Gefahren und so kommt es dass eine Bande von Rekruten den Bus stürmen, Niko und seine Freunde raus schmeißen und zum Greenway fahren.

Der zweite Band der 'Monument 14'-Reihe hat mir genauso gut gefallen wir der erste Band. Th
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won
I won this book and the first one from a blog giveaway!

I finished the first book, Monument 14, in record time. It was fast paced, intense, and everything I wanted it to be. Because of that, I was very glad I had the second one at my fingertips to start reading right away.

Sky on Fire takes place very shortly after Monument 14 ends. The two brothers have now been separated and by necessity, we get the POV broken up between the two of them so we can see what happens to each of the groups. We start
Question 2 3 Nov 19, 2018 06:18PM
Crazy for Young A...: Sky on Fire (Monument 14 #2) by Emmy Laybourne → Start Date: June 5th, 2013 27 87 Aug 10, 2014 02:26PM
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • Sunrise (Ashfall, #3)
  • Nepřítel mého nepřítele (Bavettovi, #2)
  • The Saints (Quarantine, #2)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • Resist (Breathe, #2)
  • The Release (Virulent, #1)
  • 1.4 (Point 4, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Wanderers (Wasteland, #2)
  • Fire & Ash (Rot & Ruin, #4)
  • A Matter of Days
  • No Easy Way Out (No Safety in Numbers, #2)
  • Feedback (Variant, #2)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • The Uprising (The Forsaken, #2)
  • Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
EMMY LAYBOURNE is a Young Adult novelist best known for her Monument 14 series, an internationally best-selling trilogy that has been translated into 9 languages. Her standalone book Sweet won a Junior Library Guild Award, was a YALSA Quick Pick and got a Perfect Ten rating from VOYA. Her latest books, Berserker, and Ransacker tell the story of a family of Norwegian teens with ancient Viking power ...more

Monument 14 (3 books)
  • Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1)
  • Savage Drift (Monument 14, #3)
“And then I saw Niko. He had sunk down to his knees and had his face in his hands.
I went over to him.
"You did it," I said. "You saved us."
"Yeah," he moaned, "but I lost her.”
8 likes
“Monopoly belonged to me and Alex. It was our game and they would never understand. There were strategies and traditions and they would never get all its complexities.
I didn't want them to play it.
I strode to the Toy Department for another divider, thinking that I would never play Monopoly with anyone besides Alex, ever. Ever, ever, ever, ever.
It was possible I was behaving somewhat like a child.”
6 likes