Start by marking “Donners of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Donners of the Dead

Donners of the Dead

***A Standalone Horror Romance***

A note about this book: Donners of the Dead is set in 1851 – couples were often thrust into marriage together with short courtships, racism was widespread and not overly frowned upon, and women had little to no rights. What wouldn't fly in today's day and age was unfortunately the norm back then - it is worth keeping that in mind when readi
Published February 23rd 2014 by Metal Blonde Books (first published February 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Donners of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donners of the Dead

Archer's Voice by Mia SheridanMaybe Someday by Colleen HooverCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe One by Kiera CassRaw by Belle Aurora
Best Books of 2014
3,456 books — 6,113 voters
Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuireReaper's Legacy by Joanna WyldeThe King by J.R. WardUnbeloved by Madeline SheehanTwisted by Emma Chase
2014♥ cant wait!
964 books — 2,486 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Donners of the Dead
Emily May
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
So there's some...

Chills gripped my chest with an iron fist the moment Isaac turned his head and stared down at me. Half of his face was gone, his eyeball blasted into his face leaving a dark red and black hole of bone, brain and blood.

and a bit of...

Woah. That was one hell of a sexy, creepy rollercoaster. If Karina Halle set out to have us sleeping with the ligh
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“Do you see how you’ll lose?” he continued, his voice seething. “And I will win.”
“I reckon I can stop you,” came Jake’s voice.

In the nick of time, as always.
Oh, Christ. Save us from deus ex fucking machina.

This is not a bad book at all. It had its very creepy moments, and I enjoyed it for an entertaining read. It just didn't deliver what I wanted from the book. There were inconsistencies in the writing that made the book sound too modern. There was absolutely no relationship development. I w
Alejandro
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novel is freaking awesome!!!

WESTERN & ZOMBIES

This is a paranormal western story inspired on real events but with a twist, that in words of Karina Halle, the author...

... Hello! Zombies! .

Now that I got your attention, I can elaborate on my review of the book.

Eve Smith, a young girl of mixed origins, "white" & "indian", helps a search group made by former Texas Rangers and other people to look for the whereabouts of a failed expedition in the mountains. She is the narrator of this
Lucia
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Jake and Eve:

18-years old half-native tracker girl and arrogant former Texas ranger. It’s 1851 when Eve and Jack, together with a group of poeple, set up on dangerous search expedition into the local cold mountains. If only they knew what kind of evil would be awaiting them...

I’m not sure how Karina Halle does it, but all her books are 100% movie material. This book is no exception. Historical romance, fascinating Indian’s legends, a lot of action and zombies. Donners of the Dead is without a
Debra

★★★★☆ 4.5 zombies & sexy cowboy stars!

"There are only monsters inside of angels and angels inside of monsters. Choose wisely."

Horror + Romance + Karina Halle + standalone = pure awesomeness!

Set in 1851 - Eighteen year old Eve Smith, who is half Paiute Indian, is approached on her uncle's farm by a group of strange men. After the Donner Party incident, these men have taken it upon themselves to go on a search expedition into the cold local mountains and they have come to Eve because of her w
Brandi
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10/27/14 - Freebie AMAZON

4.5 Stars

description

Wow. This was one crazy ass ride. Fast-paced and intense. Donners of the Dead is an imaginative take on the story of the Donner Party (an actual group of Americans who were snowbound out in the Sierra Nevada back in 1846 who, in order to survive, resorted to cannibalism). An eerie and dark tone straight from the get go, that just continues to grow into a truly horrifying tale.

"You need to go. You need to find it. What's out there"

Set in 1851 - shortly af
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
5 SCARY STARS!!!!

Wow that was a creepy rollercoaster ride! This is different from Karina's other books, it's a historical romance. It's full of action, zombies and there is also romance. Omg this book it was really scary! I'm not sure if I can sleep the nights without thinking about this book... It was absolutely fantastic!

This book is based on actual events! I loved when a fictional story weaves in real events!

Did you know about the Donner Party? I didn't know..and for me it was really inter
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
4+ 'NOT GOING TO EAT MEAT ANYTIME SOON' STARS

description

I think it’s safe to say that out of all the dark, gruesome, sickening things I’ve read, cannibalism tops it all and I’m not ashamed to admit I was flailing like a chicken at 2 AM reading this.

Horror + romance = Karina Halle Awesomeness!

**The author warns you that while this book does have some facts about the Donner party and the landmarks, it is not to be taken as historically accurate (and definitely not those flesh-eating, nightmare-inducing, ax-
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ 58%

Things I liked about this book:

+ the cover

+ the concept

+ the title

Things I didn't like about this book:

- everything else

A few years ago, Halle put most of her books on sale and I went on a buying spree. Karina Halle has a big cult following and I wanted to experience the edgy blend of horror and romance that she's become known for with books like Experiment in Terror and The Artists. What I'm quickly finding is that she's very h
destini mia
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc

“Sometimes the truth is more gruesome than fiction.”

Karina Halle has a knack for knowing how to creep me the hell out when reading one of her books. The foreshadowing had me on edge, the romance squealing and it made for a unputdownable read!
____________________________________________

♦︎ The Story ♦︎

____________________________________________
∙Recap∙

Donners of the Dead is set in 1851 and Eve, an 18 year-old half native girl known for her tracking skills, is asked to join a searc
C-Money
Karina-Fucking-Halle!!!

I like to pride myself on not being a pansy ass bitch. I can hang with the best of them and watch a scary ass movie and not be the coward in the corner begging for them to turn it off.

Karina-Fucking-Halle!!!

I am not a big fan of reading about zombies. I am a fan of watching movies about them, but when it comes to reading about zombies, I'm like hmmm there are way more books out there begging me to read them. I'll just skip this one.

I h
Karina Halle
Jan 21, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Thrilling, romantic and fun. That pretty much sums it up.

*wipes hands*
Georgia ♥
5 Human & Inhuman Stars

God didn't create monsters. Monsters created themselves.

description

As Eve's mother plainly stated there are angels inside of monsters and monsters inside of angels. Nothing to warn you of human nature and the sheer evil that can be hidden inside. But it is not the supernatural. It's our choices, the world we build for ourselves, our ambitions and dreams, prejudices and fears that shape us. And if we end up monstrous.... It's our hell to pay.

Enter Zombies

Or Wendigos. Or Chinokas. Or w
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3.5 stars!!!

Perfect book for when you're in the Halloween mood!!! Or just want something thrilling and scary. I know one thing with any Karina Halle book, and it's that I'll be entertained from the beginning until the very end. I love that Halle took genres I wouldn't normally read (horror and historical) and combined them to make a thrilling and terrifying tale. Some parts were a little bit too gross for me, and I did skim some of the violence because I am squeamish, but otherwise this book w
Duchess Nicole
Jan 21, 2014 marked it as to-be-published
Why in the world would you rate a book two stars that you HAVE NOT READ? I understand the idiots rating books one star because they have mommy issues and need to be hateful or something, or the fangirls rating a book five stars before publication just so we ALL know how much they OMG love the author, but...two stars? Someone please explain. As for the rater, whoever you are...

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

WARNING: I AM GOING TO STRAIGHT UP SAY WHAT THE BAD/SCARY/KILLY THING IS IN THIS STORY – CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED. HOWEVER, THE AUTHOR FLAT OUT SAYS IT HERSELF IN THE SYNOPSIS CONTAINED ON AMAZON, SO IT’S OBVIOUSLY NOT A SPOILER. ALSO, THE TITLE???? I’M PRETTY SURE MOST OF Y’ALL ARE BRIGHT ENOUGH TO HAVE FIGURED IT OUT ON YOUR OWN ANYWAY.

I could say this was a case of “it’s not you, it’s me” when it came to this book . . . but I’m not
Jennifer Kyle
4.5 Scary Stars

Wow. That was creepy, gross, scary and a definite page turner of a read!

description

I survived!! Karina Halle delivered a fast pace, action packed, scary ride and I couldn’t but it down.

Eve Smith, a girl who is half Indian, half white, made for a fantastic lead character. Her strength, hope and courage was seriously amazing. I sure hope that I would possess such characteristics put in the same situation.

Eve is sent to help a rough group of men from Texas search in the Sierra Nevadas for a mis
La-Lionne
***2.4 stars***

I have a like-hate relationship with this book. I'm actually surprised that I didn't enjoy this book as much as KH's other books.

I liked the first half of the book, a lot. I loved the fact that author chose mixed race female character from 18th century as a heroine. It made her interesting. I wanted to get to know her and how she came to be, about her family history, and was looking forward to reading about her journey.

When I got to know Jake, Eve's love interest, I thought "Let
karen
fulfilling my 2019 goal to read (at least) one book each month that has been digitally moldering, unread, on my NOOK for years and years and years.
Patrycja

Release Date: February 24, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Cliffhanger:. No
HEA: (view spoiler)

"We were a tribe of two but a tribe all the same. Two broken people looking for their place in the world and finding each other."

Karina Halle’s books are always drastic and out of this world frightening and yes, I freaking love it. Every time she hits publish I am dying from the anticipation and I’m more than a little bit sc
♥Rachel♥
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Donners of the Dead was an exciting spin off of the horror that happened to The Donner Party back in the 1800s. Most people know of that horrific chapter in American history, but leave it to Karina Halle to use it for a sinister tale sure to spook and frighten. Add in an unlikely romance and I’m one happy girl. I was glued to the pages! This is one of those read-in-one-sitting books.

Eve Smith is a young woman considered a “half-breed” born to Native American father and a white woman, in a small
☆ Sammy ☆彡
"There are only monsters inside of angels and angels inside of monsters. Choose wisely"

What. A. Ride.

Donners of the Dead is not your typical zombie book and doesn't really compare to any zombie movies and/or TV shows I have seen either. Not that my zombie knowledge is all that encompassing as I tend to avoid this genre in general because quite frankly, the gore freaks me out a bit. But since Karina Halle wrote it, I went against all of my preconceived notions and gave it a chance anyway.

What It'
Angie **loves angst**
"You need to go. You need to find it. What's out there."

Do you like historical romance?
Do you like scary on the edge of your seat stories?
Do you like opposites attract romances?
Do you have a strong stomach?
You'll find all these elements in Donners of the Dead.

description

The story starts out in 1851 with Eve Smith, a half white half American Indian girl, who is basically treated like Cinderella by her aunt and uncle. She works hard doing different tasks on her uncle's ranch, while her pampered precious cou
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)
Review & Guest Post — Donners of the Dead by Karina Halle

Karina Halle does not shy away from writing books that go against the grain. She writes unique, distinctive works that leave me and thousands of other readers coming back to her novels time and time again. Just for one day I'd like to live inside her brain just to see what kinds of creepy and exciting things are stored up there. I was intrigued to read this book for its historical tie-in to the famous Donner party story. In the mid-1800's, a group of pioneers got trapped in the harsh, snowy
Bonnie
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
I received this book free from the Author for the Blog Tour in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

‘It was more than a sense or a smell, picking up on who was here before. There was a feeling that something terrible happened here and that feeling was snaking up my body, intent to drown me in it.’

It’s 1851 and in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, 18 year old half-native Eve Smith is approac
Karen
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS
[image error]  photo b919f2cfe5437f116ec1a14c69c69b90.jpg

“There is no me. There are only monsters inside of angels and angels inside of monsters. Choose wisely.”

Another knockout by Karina Halle!!!! This one takes us back to the 1850’s, set in the newly settled western US territory, deep in the Sierra Nevada mountains. It is an extremely creative story about a young half breed girl commissioned as a tracker by a small search party of men heading into the mountains looking for a group of settlers who were lost in the moun
Rhiannon Frater
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just got horror fix and it was oh-so-good!

First off, I love Karina Halle's Experiment in Terror series so hard. She does scary very, very well. Though she's become immensely popular for her contemporary new adult Artist Trilogy, I honestly believe her voice excels when it comes to horror. Red Morning Sky (#3 in Experiment in Terror)is one of my all-time favorite horror novels. It scared the ever loving life out of me.

Therefore, when I heard she was doing a standalone horror novel and it would
Beatrix

Review posted on Way Too Hot Books.

description

Donners of the Dead was good. I was not blown away by the awesomeness like with other Karina Halle’s books, but this one was very good too.
Why I liked it, well this is a historical novel (but hey you, history haters, don’t give up on this yet), with some supernatural elements thrown in (zombies), horror (you will be creeped out) and of course, some steamy romance.

Why I was particularly looking forward to this novel was because it was based on real ev
Alex
BR with Her Grace. :D <3

Karina Halle?

Supernatural?

Romance?

SOLD!

I devoured this book! I loved everything about it. No, I don't give a fuck about historical inaccuracies! I read fiction to relax. If I want to find out when words like "testosterone" or "calories" were first used, I'll refer to a dictionary, thank you very much!

I mean, I can just imagine readers googling all kinds of historical information from this book and then complaining they didn't enjoy the reading experience?

I believe one o
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
This is a book I thought would be better than it was. The premise of the book sounded great. A group of people out on a quest, a bit romance and some monsters. It wasn't bad, don't take me wrong, a solid 3 star rating right through, and that's was my problem, I thought it would be much better. The cannibals added a bit of spice to the story, but my main problem was the relationship between Eve Smith and Jake McGraw, it was so cheesy. He is a grumpy ranger than suddently falls for this young girl ...more
Book Blog Networking: Karina Halle Interview and Giveaway 1 5 Feb 26, 2014 04:45AM
Share your Blogs!: Karina Halle Interview and Giveaway 1 1 Feb 26, 2014 04:45AM
Blogger Lift: Karina Halle Interview! 1 7 Feb 26, 2014 04:42AM
Buddy Read Zone: Donners of the Dead ~ Feb 24 112 36 Feb 25, 2014 04:26PM

• The Sinful King (Naughty Royals, #1)
  • Third a Kiss (Goddess Isles, #3)
  • Raw Blue
  • Equal Parts (Supernova, #1)
  • The Wrong/Right Man
  • Stealing Cinderella
  • Twice a Wish (Goddess Isles, #2)
  • The Rich Boy
  • Halfway Girl (Girl, #2.5)
  • Summer Skin
  • Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones
  • The Star Thief (Star Thief Chronicles, #1)
  • Runaway Road (Runaway, #1)
  • Old Fashioned (Becker Brothers, #4)
  • Southern Storms (Compass, #1)
  • Nobody's Hero (Burned Lands, #1)
  • Wicked Ugly Bad (A Kinda Fairytale, #1)
  • Beast in Shining Armor (A Kinda Fairytale, #2)
Karina Halle is a screenwriter, a former music & travel journalist, and the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author of The Pact, A Nordic King, and Sins & Needles, as well as sixty other wild and romantic reads.

She, her musician husband, and their adopted pit bull, Bruce, live in a rainforest on an island off the coast of British Columbia, where they operate Raven Ri

News & Interviews

“If it’s so dangerous, why did you come after us?” I whispered. “To get your gold?”
“No,” he murmured. “To get you.” He gently ran his hand down my arm and then met my eyes. “You’re worth much more than gold.”
7 likes
“This is the moment. We need to take it.” His breath at my ear and my own breathing seemed to match, to build. Heat flared at my back. There was no cold, there was no chill. Just him. Just heat.” 5 likes