Start by marking “The Muse of Violence” as Want to Read:
The Muse of Violence
Preview

The Muse of Violence

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A chilling series of deaths strikes a writers' group in New York, leaving the remaining members to face the suspicion—and finally the terrifying certainty—that one of them is a psychopathic killer. Is a sequel to Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None being played out in their lives?
Published October 21st 2013 by Swallow Tail Press

To ask other readers questions about The Muse of Violence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Muse of Violence

Dina_s
This book tries very hard to be an Agatha Christie style thriller but it just didn't grip me. I managed reading about 20% before I gave up and flipped through the rest. The rest of the book seemed to plod along in the same bland, self indulgent manner. Above all else I hated the sentences starting with 'and' and 'but'!
Amy
Dec 08, 2013 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amy by: Bruce Hartman
I enjoyed this book, though I like Mr. Hartman's The Rules of Dreaming more. The Muse of Violence is slower reading than his previous book; yet, it's definitely worth taking the time to read.

This work tells the story of a man named Will who starts and leads a writers' group in NYC. As the story develops, the writers' group becomes plagued with both members' violence-filled story readings as well as actual violence surrounding the group. Will and the other members of his group stop and start down
Wendy
Nov 01, 2013 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wendy by: Author
"Muse of Violence" by Bruce Hartman is a riveting murder mystery set in New York with a slice of romance and white collar crime added in. As the story opens Will Schaefer an aspiring author suffering from a mental block and writing press releases for Zunax Corporation starts a writing group made up of two other men and four women. What he doesn't suspect is that the group is being targeted by a psychopathic killer. As the members begin to die, and the mystery takes on a terrifying aspect those u ...more
Clarissa Simmens
“Being true...isn't that what fiction is all about?” Yes, it is. Whether the genre is mystery, horror, fantasy or science fiction, unless there is enough truth for the story to hang from, it will not work. Bruce Hartman's The Muse of Violence is a delight to read despite the pages being littered with corpses. Evocative of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, we watch the decimation of a small New York writing group as one after another is murdered. The group is reminiscent of my nightmare ...more
Nancy
Sure, there was murder, and questions about who-done-it, but it seemed more about the people and the mystery of life. I didn't care for the Wall Street angle, though. I didn't think I would like it at first, but the author sucked me in. His musings about the evil within us battling with our good natures, and his reference to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which I just finished, was an interesting connection.
Colleen Ray
This is a true mystery, as opposed to a thriller/mystery. There's no action until the very end, and then only minimally. The author instead concentrates on the psychology and intellectual qspects of the story. It kept my interest, but I have tonsay I was a bit disappointed in the end. i thought the choice of killer was a bit of a let down. Overall, it's worth the read.
Jack
A mystery and a writers’ group make for this tale. Someone is killing off the members of the group. Well written and keeps the reader guessing. An enjoyable read
Dee-Ann
This story was interesting, but there were no nice, pleasant bits or characters that I could cling to for a bit of relief. As I was often picking up the book to read little bits, it took me a while to gauge which character the stroy was written from, and whether it was reality or fiction.
Amber Balash
I will happily read anything Bruce Hartman has to write!
He has a unique, engaging style and "Muse of Violence" kept me guessing until the end.
I had not read Agatha Christie's book, "And Then There Were None" (maybe now I will!) but it didn't stop me from enjoying it. If you haven't read "The Rules of Dreaming" - you'll want to buy that one, too!
Paulette
This was a real mystery. I didn't have a clue of the ending. I enjoyed this one
Kristy McRae
A great psychological thriller, centered around a writing group! I loved the twists and turns. I tried to figure out 'whodunnit' from the start, but was surprised several times as the story unfolded. I was also questioning the reliability of the narrator, which made things even more interesting! Another terrific story from Mr. Hartman--I highly recommend it!
Kathy
This was a good mystery. I liked all the characters even with their flaws and I never figured out who done it til almost the ending. Good read...
Leah Madsen
I didn't really like it. I thought it was horrid and not a good redo of And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Roxanne Reyes
Overall it was interesting and entertaining reading which keeps you guessing until the killer is revealed. Very surprising ending! The story flows smoothly, with sufficient tension to keep you engaged in the plot wanting to continue reading. Well written, not too long nor too violent which is good. Recommended book!
Black Butterfly
Jan 10, 2014 Black Butterfly rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
I DID NOT LIKE THIS BOOK, TOO CONFUSING. STORYLINE WAS VERY HARD TO FOLLOW IT IS A STORY WITH SEVERAL SMALL STORIES INTERWOVEN INTO IT. WHICH TO ME MADE IT HARD TO FOLLOW PLUS A WHOLE LOT OF TALKING DONE BY THE MAIN CHARACTER. I WANTED TO JUST GAG HIM, PLEASE STOP THINKING AND TALKING. SCREAM!! OMG! ;<
Lynn Hall
A murder mystery set in a writing group is an irresistible setup -- especially for those of us who were ever part of a writing group! -- but (ironically?) this book is undermined by some seriously poor writing.
Erika Campbell-duritsky
A cute story but not very exciting. Seemed kind of dull all the way through. Even the end was dull but ok.
Lori
loved the book. it kept me hanging on what was going to happen. great concept.
Heidi Hirsch
Riveting and unpredictable.
Kat Pace
I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Beverlee  Couillard
Beverlee Couillard marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Pat Black
Pat Black marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Linda Reinhart
Linda Reinhart marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Lisa Richards
Lisa Richards marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Dale Seger
Dale Seger marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Tonia
Tonia marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Jennifer Nelson
Jennifer Nelson marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Angi
Angi marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
  • Scherzo: Murder and Mystery in 18th Century Venice
  • The Original Alibi (Matt Kile Mystery, #2)
  • Still Life in Shadows
  • Thirst
  • Harmless
  • Revenge: No Statute of Limitations (The Jake Littleton Series #1)
  • The Pursuit of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #4)
  • The Case of the Not-So-Fair Trader (A Richard Sherlock Whodunit, #1)
  • Indisputable Proof
  • In a Small Town
  • An Evil Shadow (Val Bosanquet Mystery #1)
  • Swan Song
  • Trick Question (Tubby Dubonnet, #3)
  • The Last Train Home
  • Designed to Kill (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 2)
  • Eden
  • Shell Game
  • A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street
Bruce Hartman has worked as a pianist, music teacher, bookseller and attorney and has been writing fiction for many years. His first novel, PERFECTLY HEALTHY MAN DROPS DEAD, won the Salvo Press Mystery Novel Award and was published by Salvo Press in 2008. His second book, THE RULES OF DREAMING, was published by Swallow Tail Press in May 2013. Kirkus Reviews selected THE RULES OF DREAMING as one of ...more
More about Bruce Hartman...
The Rules of Dreaming The Philosophical Detective Perfectly Healthy Man Drops Dead Murder Considered As One of the Fine Arts

“Margaret felt her anger taking control of her in a way she had never experienced before, jabbing in and out of her eyes, her mouth, her stomach, as if she were some poor soul snagged by demons in a Hieronymus Bosch painting…” 0 likes