Start by marking “Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy” as Want to Read:
Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy

Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,572 Ratings  ·  240 Reviews
'My love story may not be the sort you read about in books or see in films . . . Love stories have glorious highs and ghastly lows. But when it comes to my own life, I'd have to say, you can keep your fabulous highs and I'll happily steer clear of the terrible lows.'

After a rocky start in life, Jenny Taylor, 27, star receptionist at the local doctors surgery, has things a
Published January 1st 2014 by Sphere

Megan Readinginthesunshine
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Lucy-Anne Holmes so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but after finishing Just A Girl Standing In Front Of A Boy, I can say I’m very much looking forward to reading more of her novels!

Jenny Taylor finally has things worked out in her life, but after meeting musician Joe King her life is turned upside down, and then on top of that boyfriend Matt proposes. And then her mum unexpectedly turns up too and Jenny’s life is thrown up in the air…

I really enjoyed this – I opened the
Gail
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Stayed up until the small hours of this morning to finish this and oh my word was in floods of tears. I just loved it.

We have the very wonderful Jenny Taylor (aka Fanny; this is explained early on in the book) and her brilliant, devoted friend, Philippa. Her flat mate is the terrific Ali and then along comes her superb mum, Pam who I just loved. Jenny is in a relationship with workaholic Matt, who pays her little or no attention as he is always answering a call on his blackberry or replying to e
Liyana
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't think of anything to write.
I'm just feeling everything.
It's beautiful!
Alex
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Una lettura esilarante e dolcissima, una ragazza che ha saputo trarre il meglio da ogni brutta esperienza vissuta/subita. Che ha trovato il sostegno di persone splendide e affettuose... che ha regalato sorrisi e gesti affettuosi per circondarsi di positività e buonumore.
Il manifesto della felicità che diventa un pretesto, per regalare a perfetti estranei un sorriso nei momenti più difficili!
Dolcissima e incantevole Jenny il mondo dovrebbe avere centinaia di persone come te!
Joe sei il mio King ❤
Elvina Zafril
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading book by Lucy-Anne Holmes. I really enjoyed this. The characters, the plot and all were beautifully written. What a stunning story!
Luise
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, done. Finally. Cateful, this review is packed with spoilers.

I guess, this one had a kind of rough start, as the basic setting was exactly the same to the book I read before. The same type of boyfriend, the same best friend, extreme fear of heights and even more stuff/ characteristics.

So naturally, I had to compare both versions and unfortunately, I liked the other one better. Combined with a style of writing that I needed to get used to, I developed some kind of basic reluctance towards Jen
Rachel Gilbey
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

I am still highly amused at the names of some of the characters, and just what they sound like if said quickly. I loved the banter between Fanny and her best friend, in fact their friendship is what made the book for me. They are nuts, but equally have each others best interests at heart. I loved the Smiling Fanny Manifesto, which is a set of 10 things Fanny needs to do each day, to try and stave off her depression, and it has assorted results. I found this to be quite a slow book to get into, w
Anja
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh dear God, what a wonderful book!

'just a girl standing in front of a boy' is about Jenny Taylor, called Fanny, who has been bullied by most of her classmates when she was a teenager. Even her father didn't really show any signs of love for her. Her mother kept silent all those years, so she wasn't a great help either. Back then she only ever had her best friend Philippa.
Now, she still has Philippa by her side, but also a boyfriend called Matt and a pretty cool flatmate called Al. One day thou
BestChickLit.com
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the blurb alone, this seems like your typical chick lit book, but believe me when I tell you it is not. I went through 3 stages while reading this book. Firstly, I was taken by how likeable the protagonist, Jenny is. Then I began to get a little annoyed by the stream of consciousness-style narrative. And then finally, I realised this author is so wise! Some authors take you in their hands from the very beginning and you can read on, knowing that you are safe. Others simply tell a story. But ...more
Silvia Altomiri
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Questo libro mi ha fatto emozionare tantissimo e pensare tanto!!!
L'inizio e' molto noioso sopratutto x quel buono a nulla di fidanzato che si ritrova Fanny, e poi cambia tutto nn appena sua madre va a stare da lei, e li comincia un avvicinamento madre e figlia.
poi ad un tratto vedo i cuoricini nn appena si incontra Joe il farmacista, e li ho pensato " lascia Matt e mettiti con Joe"!! ❤❤❤❤❤
Eh la fine nn ve la dico, ma dico soltanto che ci saranno tante lacrime!!
Ognuno di noi dovrebbe portarecon
Lindsay
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite read for a while. It reminds me of one of those films where nothing really happens but you grow to love the characters and are left with a warm glow. Although it deals with some quite dark themes it does so in a gentle way and with humour throughout. Fanny, Phillipa and Al are the perfect friends and Joe King is my favourite book boyfriend for a long time - perfect!
Michelle
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 JENNY TAYLOR STARS.
This was so so funny. Wanted to be their friend, wanted to go out with them, wanted to wear a balaclava?? And most definitely wanted to be a musketeer.
These were the best of friends. The craziest.
Their little town would be dull without them.
I loved this, loved the banter and loved the humour.
Can't wait for more.
Manamee h
dnf
Giovanna
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosie Read
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jenny Taylor, Fanny to her friends, is as charming as her creator and she instantly pulls you in to her story. Eccentric, witty, and a little bit scatty, Fanny has an admirable strength of character that quickly endears you towards her.

Fanny's life is disrupted when she meets Joe King, an aspiring musician who sends her supposedly taken heart into a bit of a spin. To make matters worse, her mother suddenly leaves her father and decides that it is time to bond with her daughter and moves in with
Kristel
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
UPDATED with review in my blog: read here!

I give this book 10+ stars! I'm not kidding! I loved it from the very first word to the FANTASTIC last paragraph!!!
It's so late and tomorrow I have work but I couldn't stop reading! My heart is a mess, I cried, I cried while laughing, I smile while crying.
I think I will write a blog post about this book because now I can't elaborate what my mind is experiencing.
There are certain books that hit you. It's love at first word. I bought this book because boo
Elizabeth
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's 1.30 am, I'm sick and I should be sleeping but I had to finish this book!
My sister recommended it to me and now I see why.
It's the kind of book that gives you a hell of an emotional rollercoaster and when you finish it you find yourself smiling because you enjoyed the ride.
It isn't the usual chick-lit novel, I'll tell you that. There is so much more to it. You get to know and love the characters, you get to live in their little world, you laugh and you cry with them...it's a very special b
June
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. I love Lucy-Anne Holmes' writing style and she draws me in to the story so quickly. I fell in love with lots of the characters in this book, and the messages about depression struck a chord with me. This is an uplifting and emotional roller coaster of a book, very very funny, touching, heartbreaking and just a gorgeous book to sink into. I couldn't put it down and am sad to have finished it. Well done, Lucy-Anne, please write another one soon! xx
Keris
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Really loved this. Funny, sweet, sad and sexy.
Bookevin
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bloody brilliant! Lucy-Anne Holmes is back!
Karen
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I could not stop thinking about this book when I would put down and just wanted to finish whatever tams to get back to reading! Enjoyed immensely!!
Lesley Halliday
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great way to start a Saturday morning have just sat and bubbled my eyes out finishing this book! Absolutely brilliant made me laugh out loud smile and obviously cry!! Would definitely recommend
Victoria
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-favs
I loved this book! It was exactly what I was in the mood for. I loved the characters. I found a lot of it very relatable and I now understand why my best friend wanted me to read it so much. It was funny, emotional, full of love and little twists. It was a really easy read and the chapters were short so you could fit in another one (or 4) quite quickly. I just loved it.
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
Just a Girl Standing in Front of a Boy came to me entirely by chance and if I hadn’t currently been reading a terrible book when it fell into my hands, I would probably never have taken it home. This book came to me like the fate and love at first sight type of thing Jenny doesn’t think exists, but this book came to me right when I needed it most. It took me on journeys I was not expecting to discover but each one of them was perfectly wonderful for both the story and for me.

Getting to know Jen
Isa
Originally reviewed at Words in a Teacup.

Jenny Taylor, affectionately called Fanny, is 27 when her life gets turned upside down by the newest arrival in town - Joe King. Add to that a proposal from her longterm boyfriend Matt and the unexpected arrival of her estranged mother in her flat and it's all she can do to figure out just what is best for herself.

Let me start by saying that I bought this book partly because at the time I was halfway through another of Lucy-Anne Holmes' books and enjoyed
Marian
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought-from-bd, owned
First of all, this is one of those under-rated books and it saddens me that I don’t see any hype on this book. Well, this is one of the books that I truly recommend because I enjoyed this one and I know that whoever would read this will know the reasons why.

It was written in a way that it will make your eyes wet, your jaw sore, and your stomach ache all because of too much laughing! I’ve never read a book as hilarious as this one, and if you want to have a real-hard-laugh, then this is the right
Cocomama101
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Asyla Suhaimi
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think I dropped my jaws when I read about Larry Lemon's confession on the last page. Gosh! Double thumbs up for Lucy-Anne Holmes for this beautiful story that managed to make me feel euphoric, sad, twisted, and all of those butterflies and mixed feeling at the same time every time I flipped on the next page!
I love Jenny's relationship with Philippa, which makes me sometimes, want to do the same thing with my bestfriend! And I also love how sweet and sexy Joe King is, how close Jenny with Al (
Anna Caterina
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I started this book I thought this would be just a great get-away or escapeism book. And it was. But it was also so much more...

The writingstyle intrigued me from the first page on. The story is lovely, funny, sad and moving - it really captures raw, human emption. Sometimes I was torn between finding this book too rom-com and unrealistic and then actually too realistic.

After having just finished this book I must say: it is both. And in the end it is a beautiful, moving story. Who cares if
Francesca (A tavola coi libri)
Un romanzo leggero, senza troppe pretese, che si divora in poche ore. È stato bello leggere di Fanny e della sua ricerca per la felicità. Ho adorato il manifesto che l'amica le propone: una seri di punti da fare ogni giorno, che le hanno permesso di superare la depressione. Ad un certo punto, mi è maturata l'idea di adottarlo io stessa. Penso che prima o poi inizierò a seguirlo, chi lo sa!
Una lettura davvero piacevo e rilassante!
  • It Felt Like a Kiss
  • The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me
  • Don't Tell the Boss: a laugh-out-loud romp! (Don't Tell the Groom)
  • Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream
  • The Love Detective (Love Detective, #1)
  • I'll Take New York
  • If I Could Turn Back Time
  • Thirteen Weddings
  • The Best Thing that Never Happened to Me
  • Here's Looking at You
  • One Minute to Midnight
  • From Notting Hill with Four Weddings . . . Actually (Actually, #3)
  • The Year of Taking Chances

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Every Little Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay (Mischief Bay, #1)
  • Happy All the Time
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Cut (The Bourbon Kings, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Atheists Who Kneel and Pray
  • Hold On My Heart
    $4.49 $0.99
  • One Day
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Wicked Love (Wicked White #3)
  • Water from My Heart