Start by marking “Where Futures End” as Want to Read:

Five teens.
Five futures.
Two worlds.
One ending.

One year from now, Dylan develops a sixth sense that allows him to glimpse another world.

Ten years from now, Brixney must get more hits on her social media feed or risk being stuck in a debtors' colony.

Thirty years from now, Epony scrubs her entire online profile from the web and goes “High Concept.”

Sixty years from now,
Published February 9th 2016 by Kathy Dawson Books

To ask other readers questions about Where Futures End, please sign up.
Absolutely not. My class was given 10 pages to read and annotate, and I wanted to continue as soon as possible-- the first story alone was fantastic,…moreAbsolutely not. My class was given 10 pages to read and annotate, and I wanted to continue as soon as possible-- the first story alone was fantastic, and (for me, at least) things just get better from there. (less)
Personally I would not at all describe this as dark. I know when I read anything that gets even a little dark I get big 'edgy' vibes, so I have pretty…morePersonally I would not at all describe this as dark. I know when I read anything that gets even a little dark I get big 'edgy' vibes, so I have pretty high standards; even though Futures touches on dark themes (I mean, there are dystopian bits), it's overall very satisfying and I think the larger part of the book is more fantastic than dark.
(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,124 books — 9,698 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
256 books — 1,440 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Where Futures End
Emily
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Edited to add: this book is so CRIMINALLY under appreciated that whenever I think about it, I get legitimately sad. If you like innovative books, if you like surprising/strange/literary books, PLEASE do yourself (and me) a favor and READ THIS.

Do you ever read a book that feels like a puzzle? And the whole time, you're not quite sure what the question is but the sense of the inevitable and the immediacy keep you alternating between speed-reading for hours and picking apart a couple sentences for
Whitney Atkinson
I'm just gonna DNF this on page 260.

It's honestly not a bad book, it's just so much more sci-fi than I was intending. I was originally going to try to finish out the audiobook, but I realized i'm just not enjoying it and I don't want to force myself to listen to 45 minutes more of something i'm not invested into and probably won't raise my rating of. I was attracted to the premise of this book, but I thought it would be more of a character-driven narrative in which all of the people eventually
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Parker Peevyhouse wrote this book with one goal: to blow everyone's mind. And oh my god, did she achieve that goal. This book is so good, so different from anything I've ever read before.

There's no way to truly describe this novel's plot; it's set in an alternate reality with a world interconnected to ours, with characters living years into the future. Each one of the five stories brings something new to this story, adding one element to the puzzle that is the end.

Everything here is not only
Ashley Blake
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just holy eff wow. This book is the most unique book I think I've ever read. I'm rendered nearly incoherent. It's the story our own world and the Other Place and five people spanning decades and the ways in which we're all connected. It's bonkers good. Gorgeous prose and each voice is so distinct and compelling. Add this one to your TBRs stat!
Katherine Elizabeth
2.5 Stars

Um. What did I just read? This honestly made no sense - half the time I was just searching for answers and wondering if I should feel as confused as I was while reading. However, I will add that this was a unique idea (not the time-travel and alternate universes part) - which made the book interesting in its own right. But the bland characters and dry story-line took away from that.

Overall, I don't have much to say about this book other than it has a beautiful cover which pushed me to
Brittany Cavallaro
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

You guys. I picked up this book at 10pm and read it straight through all night. WHERE FUTURES END is a novel made up of a series of interconnected novellas, all focused on a different teenage character. All of them yearning for something else, something better, more comforting, something stranger than the life that they have. I worried before I picked this up that the interconnected-novella form might kill some of the
Patrick Samphire
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If it’s not hard enough to write a straightforward, linear novel, Parker Peevyhouse has made it far harder for herself by writing a novel that is actually five interconnected novelettes. So it’s enormously to her credit that this book has turned out so well. In fact, I’d go so far as to say it’s the best YA novel I’ve read this year.

The first story is set right now (or very close to now) and the subsequent ones step into the future, developing the story up to some unstated point over a hundred
Sarah Ahiers
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book. THIS BOOK!!!

I hardcore loved this book.
I wasn't sure I would, when I first got it. A collection of novellas? It would either work for me or it wouldn't.
And it did. It did SO MUCH.

WHERE FUTURE'S ENDS is a collection of five novellas, moving forward in time. There are mentions of the previous characters in the future novellas which adds a nice perk of recognition. As time goes on, the reader can see how technology and society changes as time passes between the novellas.

Every novella
Sonya Mukherjee
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, which I was lucky to read in an advance copy, kept surprising me in such delightful ways. The first section made me feel like a 10-year-old discovering Narnia for the first time, with all that magical sense of wonder. Then the second section read to me as fast, very funny, and definitely having a thing or two to say about our current world. And so it continued, with each future world opening a door to another, each one completely different but deeply interconnected. This is definitely ...more
Margot Harrison
This book blew me away. As soon as I read the description, I knew it was for anyone who likes mind-bending plots and satirical near-future SF — i.e., me. I haven't seen many truly strange YA SF books in recent years, and was eager to get my hands on it.

But I wasn't expecting the deft, magical prose, or how cleverly the book would riff on fantasy tropes as well as SF, or how much the central themes would resonate with me. Where Futures End has a daring narrative structure that won't work for
Rahul Kanakia
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I actually can't believe this book exists. It is so strange and so different from everything else on the shelves. It's a series of five interconnected novellas about the relationship between a steadily-worsening dystopian Earth and a far-off fantasy land, The Other Place, that's become entangled with our world. Each story is completely self-contained, with its own protagonist, and each one is so full of hope and longing. All of these stories are about kids who are trying to better themselves and ...more
Traci Chee
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WHERE FUTURES END is everything I want in speculative fiction: thrilling magical worlds, thought-provoking themes, innovative structures, and lyrical prose. It's the book I would have loved to have written.

Each of the five novelettes sits at the juncture between the real and the magical, where everyday people find inside themselves the stirrings of something greater, of some Special Work that calls to them, whether that's the discovery of a new world or the rescue of their family from crippling
autumn
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is really incredible. i feel like i've just finished the last book of an epic fantasy series spanning at least 2 decades and 30 books, rather than a 290 page ya. it's made up of 5 short stories centered on different characters, all sort of different genres and styles, set decades apart, expertly done so that i felt like i had read 5 whole different books, plus the overarching story connecting them all. the characters and plots are extremely well fleshed out, esp given the little space ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
In a year from now, Dylan will begin to develop a sixth sense allowing him to see into another world. In ten years, Brixney will have to get more hits on her social media in order to avoid being sent to a debtor's colony. In thirty years, Epony will go High Concept by removing her online profile. In sixty years, Reef's life will be a a constant struggle in a city turned virtual game board. In one hundred years, Quinn will learn the alarming secret that ties all five of them together.

Where
Laura Resau
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! I picked it up to read every spare minute I had-- while the toast was toasting and the tea water boiling-- it was so intriguing and strange and wonderful, I didn't want to stop. I finished it in just a couple days, and it's still lingering strong in my mind... I wish I had someone to discuss it with, but alas, since I got an ARC, I'll have to wait a bit for that!

The five interconnected stories, set at different points in the future, were brilliantly written. I was in
Emily France
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-ya-debuts
I was lucky enough to read an ARC of Parker Peevyhouse’s WHERE FUTURES END, and I can’t wait to buy a copy for my bookshelves at home. What first captured me was the language; it snicker-snacked along and whisked me away to Peevyhouse’s wonderfully imagined worlds. Her use of language creates a magical quality reminiscent of Madeleine L’Engle’s A WRINKLE IN TIME. I fell in love with the story with the first gorgeous line.

While the vivid writing continues throughout, readers are treated to
Vikki VanSickle
This is already one of my top picks for 2016. A fascinating set of connected short stories, each nestled in the one that comes before, about two worlds with a tenuous connection. Fascinating, accessible science-fiction that will leave you desperate to talk to someone about it.
Crystal
Mar 16, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016
Have you ever read a book and just didn't get it, but wanted to so badly? Well this is me right now. I feel like I am totally missing out on some huge secret and I don't like it at all. I want to like this book and I want my intelligence to understand what the author was trying to say to me, but I just don't get it.

The story started out really interesting. We have Dylan who is obsessed with the Other Place which I think and I'm pretty sure I'm right is Fairy. Now I could be wrong, but it felt
Everly Frost
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m so happy I had the chance to receive an ARC of this book! It was utterly magical. Each of the five stories was told from a unique point of view and I marvelled at how each and every one was full of soul. For me, this didn’t feel like separate stories at all, but a wonderful cohesive whole, showing an evolving, changing world. WHERE FUTURES END is captivating and I’d read another book by this author in a heartbeat.
Bridget Hodder
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, sci-fi
Five teens. Five futures.

Five Stars!!!

Parker Peevyhouse's WHERE FUTURES END is a triumph of storytelling and imagination.

The interlocked tales in this book are fascinating and utterly novel.

In the first story, Dylan is a teen with confusion at home and a question even the reader can't answer: does he belong in this world, or another? And is the other world where he might belong even a real one? His dilemma sounds arcane, but it isn't. It's grounded in the heart-tugging realities of a divided
Shaun Hutchinson
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While I had some issues with this book, I ended up absolutely loving it mostly because it's exactly the kind of book I think really makes YA the most interesting category of books to read right now. It's a book that takes risks, that isn't afraid to give readers something to think about. It's weird and unexpected and sometimes a little disorienting, and I loved it for that.

I think the book will ultimately divide readers. They'll either love it or hate it, and I think those are the best kinds of
Jeff Zentner
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow.

The last time I read a book that glowed so brightly with the power of story and interconnectedness was David Mitchell's CLOUD ATLAS. Most books would not fare well in the face of such a comparison but WHERE FUTURES END will sit nicely on my bookshelf right next to it, where they deserve to be spoken of in the same breath (when you catch your breath when you've finished it, of course, which could be quite some time).

Profound, innovative, complex, thoughtful--a Russian nesting doll
Julie Eshbaugh
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-sweet-16s
I was so fortunate to get to read an ARC of Parker Peevyhouse's debut! This book is made up of interconnected novellas, each one another step farther into the future, each one revealing more about the central mysteries of the book. I love a book with secrets, and each of the novellas answered questions but also posed new ones. The prose is beautiful--I found myself re-reading paragraphs to enjoy the sound of the words in my ears. And each new story was unique--connected to the others but also ...more
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book. Yay! I am so glad that I did because this book was really mind-blowing and amazing. It's a set of interconnected novellas that span out across time. Inventive and unique, the book takes on the different forms of story and how we communicate with each other. A super thought-provoking read.

Definitely going to re-read this when it comes out in February. I can't wait to see what Peevyhouse comes up with next.
Tara Sim
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book offers an exceptional look at the various methods of storytelling that have evolved in our world as we know it--and even in worlds we may not even be aware of. The unique structure allows the reader to follow different timelines, different settings, and different storytelling methods as the plot unfolds and peels away layer after layer of the story. You don't want to miss this one!
Elizabeta
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a totally confusing book (in a good way). Even though the last chapter was a little off and I don't think it was a good ending, the first 4 chapters (stories) are so good, and the 4th reminded me of Ready Player One. Great start for a new author!
AHeartFullOfBooks❣️
3.5*

I cannot deny that this was an interesting and a different read, albeit a confusing one. The writing was good. The characters, some I really liked and some I didn’t enjoy as much. All in all, it is a book that I would recommend if one likes an unusual story.
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Prepare to have your mind blown with the incredible stories in Parker Peevyhouse’s Where Futures End! This fascinating and unique book contains short stories that are all connected and all set in different years in the future. The variety of settings and plots will make a science fiction fan out of anyone.

Where Futures End consists of a whole bunch of short stories that are all connected. What is really interesting is the fact that at first, the stories all seem very different. This book is
Ki-Wing
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A stunning and startling book that I’m still thinking about. Told as five interconnected stories, WHERE FUTURES END is about societal change, including how myths are created and how what is new to one generation becomes foundational to the next. Gripping and deftly written.

I read this book in one sitting and look forward to rereading it as slowly as possible. wow!

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Kristy Acevedo
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where Futures End is like Brave New World meets Bridge to Terabithia. Strange, haunting satire.

(I read an ARC and did not receive compensation for this review.)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Dig
  • White Rose
  • In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms
  • Mandie and the Secret Tunnel (Mandie, #1)
  • Mandie and the Angel's Secret (Mandie #22)
  • Mandie and the Midnight Journey (Mandie Books, 13)
  • Mandie and the Trunk's Secret (Mandie Books, #5)
  • Life After Google
  • And Then There Were Four
  • The Rapture of the Nerds
  • The Last Girl on Earth
  • The Replacement
  • The Hunter's Moon (The Chronicles of Faerie, #1)
  • The Light-Bearer's Daughter (The Chronicles of Faerie, #3)
  • The Summer King (The Chronicles of Faerie, #2)
  • Hey Nostradamus!
  • Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful
  • You Owe Me a Murder
Parker Peevyhouse is likely trying to solve a puzzle at this very moment, probably while enjoying In-N-Out fries, admiring redwood trees, and quoting movies about sentient robots. Parker's critically acclaimed collection of novellas, WHERE FUTURES END, was named a best book for teens by the New York Public Library, Chicago Public Library, and Bank Street. Kirkus gave her science fiction ...more
“On clear nights, when the stars were white on black instead of smoggy gray, we’d lie on the roof together and say cheesy things like, ‘At least they can’t charge us for moonlight.’ Although later they did, by way of imposing a curfew and fining those of us who broke it.” 4 likes
“I kicked off my shoes and moved in knee-deep. The shock of cold water stole my breath. Cole was dark from the sun, his yellow hair like parched grass. He cocked his head to the side like my grandpop used to do; I swear it’s a gesture taught to all farm boys who plan on growing up to make trouble. I fought to stand my ground against the current pushing at the backs of my legs.

“Can’t you swim?” Cole had asked.

“I learned in this creek. They threw me in and I declined the opportunity to drown.”
2 likes