Start by marking “The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three: 1925-1930” as Want to Read:
The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three: 1925-1930

The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three: 1925-1930 (The Diary of Virginia Woolf #3)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  461 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
An account of Woolf's life during the period in which To the Lighthouse and The Waves were written. "Her steel-trap mind and elegant prose...make this a most valuable and pleasurable book" (Publishers Weekly). "Volume three is as witty and intelligent as its predecessors" (Atlantic Monthly). Edited by Anne Olivier Bell, assisted by Andrew McNeillie; Index.
Published September 14th 1981 by Mariner Books (first published March 27th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three

Abby
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It seems odd to give stars to a diary, but if any diary is deserving of five stars, it's Woolf's. This volume, which covers her happiest and most productive years, is a particular joy. She writes with beauty and wit, even when she's just writing for herself. Her fears, her amusements, her obliquely referenced love affair with Vita Sackville-West, her preoccupations with the success of her greatest novels (all produced within this time span, more or less) are still intriguing to us nine decades l ...more
Elisa
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun to watch her hit her stride with Dalloway and Lighthouse. Number of flower references go down, possibly in response to her arguments wi L abt $ spent on garden, certainly by excitement of living in London.
Elizabeth
The Diary of Virginia Woolf Vol. 3: 1925-1930 (Hardcover)
by Andrew McNeillie (Editor)
Rahima Barakat
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A writer's work of art tells you about her intellect and soul; her diary tells you about the raw inspiration of that work revealing every little detail in making it. This third volume witnesses the process of writing Woolf's grandest works, including To the Lighthouse, Orlando, A Room of One's own and The Waves. We get a glimpse of what it is like to produce a work of art, all between the desire of society's admiration and the terrible need of solitude .Furthermore, Woolf's skill to integrate th ...more
Duncan M Simpson
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
What can I say? As much fun as all the others. Her friends and family are old friends and members of my own family. The events of her life, its routine and challenges, servants and books, I savour.

Favourite entries, inspiration for a writer from someone who wrote prose of unfaltering beauty: "I write two sentences of arrant nonsense, after straining; write variations of every sentence; compromises; bad shots; possibilities; till my writing book is like a lunatic's dream..." (26 December 1929) a
Ross
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Virginia Woolf's spasmodic journals cover a period when she wrote To the Lighthouse, The Common Reader, On Being Ill, Orlando, A Room of One's Own, The Waves, and articles for the Times Literary Supplement. She comes across as someone who was highly critical of others. The journals don't cover the craft of her writing as much as I would have liked, but I found them worth reading, nevertheless, for some background about her personal life at the time the quality of her writing was at its peak.
Loreto
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No voy a ponerle nota porque es su diario y bastante con que lo leamos. Tampoco lo he leído entero ya que lo he cogido para el proyecto de adoptar a una autora y a mí lo de leer diarios reales siempre me da mucho respeto.

Woolf es una mujer apasionante y magnífica que me interesa muchísimo. Me leería hasta su lista de la compra. Me gusta su visión del mundo y de las personas. Cada obra suya que leo hace que ella me interese más.
Beth
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-for-school
What a lovely insight into the mind & workings of Virginia Woolf. I only wish that she had felt it important to discuss her struggles with mental illness a bit more so that I could have followed where her mind was going. I would describe her diaries as intellectual, representing her ideals about writing & society although glossing over the emotional, personal views of her life.
Pumpernickel
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
I take all the time in the world to read Virgina Woolf's diaries... And it takes me a long, long time to read each volume cause I stop to read her letters of the period, the letters of her sister -- and great painter -- Vanessa Bell, their friend Lytton Strachey's letters AND diary, etc., etc., etc...
Ali
Oct 30, 2007 rated it liked it
تنها بخش هایی از این چند جلد یادداشت های ویرجینیا وولف را به فارسی در هفته نامه ی "هفت" خوانده ام و از این که بصورت کتاب هم به فارسی منتشر شده باشد، بی خبرم.
  • Virginia Woolf: An Inner Life
  • Mrs. Woolf and the Servants: An Intimate History of Domestic Life in Bloomsbury
  • Journal of Katherine Mansfield
  • Leonard Woolf: A Biography
  • Virginia Woolf
  • Virginia Woolf
  • Story of My Life: The Autobiography of George Sand
  • Virginia Woolf: A Biography
  • Violet to Vita: The Letters of Violet Trefusis to Vita Sackville-West, 1910-1921
  • Letters, Summer 1926
  • Virginia Woolf: A Writer's Life
  • Wild Heart: A Life: Natalie Clifford Barney and the Decadence of Literary Paris
  • The Diaries, 1931-1965
  • Heathen Days: Mencken's Autobiography: 1890-1936
  • Eminent Victorians
  • Novels, 1957-1962: The Town / The Mansion / The Reivers
  • Truman Capote: In Which Various Friends, Enemies, Acquaintences and Detractors Recall His Turbulent Career
  • Firewall: The Iran-Contra Conspiracy and Cover-up
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es
More about Virginia Woolf...

The Diary of Virginia Woolf (5 books)
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume One: 1915-1919
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Two: 1920-1924
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Four: 1931-1935
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Five: 1936-1941
“I always had the deepest affection for people who carried sublime tears in their silences.” 9 likes
“I see the mountains in the sky; the great clouds; and the moon; I have a great and astonishing sense of something there, which is “it”—it is not exactly beauty that I mean. It is that the thing is in itself enough: satisfactory, achieved. A sense of my own strangeness, walking on the earth is there too: of the infinite oddity of the human position; with the moon up there and those mountain clouds.” 9 likes