Start by marking “The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three: 1925-1930” as Want to Read:
The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three: 1925-1930

The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three: 1925-1930

(The Diary of Virginia Woolf #3)

An account of Woolf's life during the period in which To the Lighthouse and The Waves were written. "Her steel-trap mind and elegant prose...make this a most valuable and pleasurable book" (Publishers Weekly). "Volume three is as witty and intelligent as its predecessors" (Atlantic Monthly). Edited by Anne Olivier Bell, assisted by Andrew McNeillie; Index.
Published September 14th 1981 by Mariner Books (first published March 27th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three

Start your review of The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Three: 1925-1930
strega
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: femminista
The way Virginia explains and writes is absolutely magneficent!!
Regina
Quattro stelle per una lettura interessante, anche curiosa, alla ricerca di uno stile, di una vita, di una donna d'eccezione.
Virginia si rivela. Per quanto è possibile rivelarsi. Ha degli obiettivi specifici su questa scrittura : fare 'esercizio' con le parole. La sua anima, almeno inizialmente vorrebbe lasciarla fuori. Ma non è possibile. Si intravede, poi si mostra con tutte, o molte, delle sue caratteristiche. Sono gli anni della pubblicazione della Signora Dalloway e di Gita al faro. Io
Abby
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It seems odd to give stars to a diary, but if any diary is deserving of five stars, it's Woolf's. This volume, which covers her happiest and most productive years, is a particular joy. She writes with beauty and wit, even when she's just writing for herself. Her fears, her amusements, her obliquely referenced love affair with Vita Sackville-West, her preoccupations with the success of her greatest novels (all produced within this time span, more or less) are still intriguing to us nine decades ...more
Helen
These years include the success of To the lighthouse and Orlando, with a sudden jump in income which made further improvements to the house in Sussex possible as well as a sense of security. Virginia Woolf continued to be quite fragile in some ways (mental health, headaches, easily upset by people - why did her friends tease her about her hat or her clothes when it clearly wasn't a good moment for it?) yet she remained very disciplined about her writing and work for the press. There are a few ...more
Amy Christine Lesher
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I've read the first two volumes of Woolf's diaries and they were filled with Virginia going on walks, having tea and dinner with friends, and worrying about how her books were being received. In the third volume written when Virginia was in her mid 40s she starts to become more her own person. There are still dinners with friends, but the worry about how Lytton will react to her newest book is gone. Instead, in the third volume we witness Virginia planning and discussing her work. She is ...more
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is with this volume that I begin to venture onto new ground in my V.W. reading. In the six years covered in this volume, she becomes very successful, publishing several of her more original works, and she and Leonard become more prosperous, buy a car, travel to Europe, and become sought after by the social set.

I like Virginia.

[2019: After reading a novel about Vanessa as a young woman and wife, I like Virginia less.)
Elisa
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun to watch her hit her stride with Dalloway and Lighthouse. Number of flower references go down, possibly in response to her arguments wi L abt $ spent on garden, certainly by excitement of living in London.
Mark D.
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
- volumes 2-3 of one of the great diaries in the language covers, arguably, Ms. Woolf’s greatest creative period, in which her pioneering “method” bore fruit in Jacob’s Room, Mrs. Dalloway, To the Lighthouse, and Orlando, to say nothing of the first Common Reader of literary essays -
Elizabeth
The Diary of Virginia Woolf Vol. 3: 1925-1930 (Hardcover)
by Andrew McNeillie (Editor)
Doris Raines
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
NICE BOOK.
Rahima Barakat
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A writer's work of art tells you about her intellect and soul; her diary tells you about the raw inspiration of that work revealing every little detail in making it. This third volume witnesses the process of writing Woolf's grandest works, including To the Lighthouse, Orlando, A Room of One's own and The Waves. We get a glimpse of what it is like to produce a work of art, all between the desire of society's admiration and the terrible need of solitude .Furthermore, Woolf's skill to integrate ...more
Duncan M Simpson
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
What can I say? As much fun as all the others. Her friends and family are old friends and members of my own family. The events of her life, its routine and challenges, servants and books, I savour.

Favourite entries, inspiration for a writer from someone who wrote prose of unfaltering beauty: "I write two sentences of arrant nonsense, after straining; write variations of every sentence; compromises; bad shots; possibilities; till my writing book is like a lunatic's dream..." (26 December 1929)
Ross
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Virginia Woolf's spasmodic journals cover a period when she wrote To the Lighthouse, The Common Reader, On Being Ill, Orlando, A Room of One's Own, The Waves, and articles for the Times Literary Supplement. She comes across as someone who was highly critical of others. The journals don't cover the craft of her writing as much as I would have liked, but I found them worth reading, nevertheless, for some background about her personal life at the time the quality of her writing was at its peak.
Loreto
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No voy a ponerle nota porque es su diario y bastante con que lo leamos. Tampoco lo he leído entero ya que lo he cogido para el proyecto de adoptar a una autora y a mí lo de leer diarios reales siempre me da mucho respeto.

Woolf es una mujer apasionante y magnífica que me interesa muchísimo. Me leería hasta su lista de la compra. Me gusta su visión del mundo y de las personas. Cada obra suya que leo hace que ella me interese más.
Beth
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-for-school
What a lovely insight into the mind & workings of Virginia Woolf. I only wish that she had felt it important to discuss her struggles with mental illness a bit more so that I could have followed where her mind was going. I would describe her diaries as intellectual, representing her ideals about writing & society although glossing over the emotional, personal views of her life.
Pumpernickel
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
I take all the time in the world to read Virgina Woolf's diaries... And it takes me a long, long time to read each volume cause I stop to read her letters of the period, the letters of her sister -- and great painter -- Vanessa Bell, their friend Lytton Strachey's letters AND diary, etc., etc., etc...
Ali
Oct 30, 2007 rated it liked it
تنها بخش هایی از این چند جلد یادداشت های ویرجینیا وولف را به فارسی در هفته نامه ی "هفت" خوانده ام و از این که بصورت کتاب هم به فارسی منتشر شده باشد، بی خبرم.
Cliodhna Ni Ghadhra
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Nadiarjam
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best way to get into the mind of this great writer.
Cathi
Tatjana
Jan 01, 2018
Carolee
Aug 31, 2009

• A Mind to Murder (Adam Dalgliesh #2)
  • Five Days Gone: The Mystery of My Mother's Disappearance as a Child
  • Winter Holiday (Swallows and Amazons, #4)
  • Sowing: An Autobiography Of The Years 1880 To 1904
  • The Benefit of Hindsight (Simon Serrailler, #10)
  • The Politics Of Parenthood: Child Care, Women's Rights, And The Myth Of The Good Mother
  • Titania has a mother
  • The Road from Coorain: A Woman's Exquisitely Clear-Sighted Memoir of Growing Up Australian
  • Summer Cooking
  • Diaries, 1915-1918
  • Bitter Experience Has Taught Me
  • The Angel of Charleston: Grace Higgens, Housekeeper to the Bloomsbury Group
  • For the Record
  • A World of Love
  • Red Hart Magic (The Magic Series, #6)
  • The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn
  • Jason's Quest
  • The Peabody Sisters of Salem
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs. Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length

The Diary of Virginia Woolf (5 books)
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume One: 1915-1919
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Two: 1920-1924
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Four: 1931-1935
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Five: 1936-1941
“I see the mountains in the sky; the great clouds; and the moon; I have a great and astonishing sense of something there, which is “it”—it is not exactly beauty that I mean. It is that the thing is in itself enough: satisfactory, achieved. A sense of my own strangeness, walking on the earth is there too: of the infinite oddity of the human position; with the moon up there and those mountain clouds.” 14 likes
“I always had the deepest affection for people who carried sublime tears in their silences.” 10 likes