Start by marking “The Call of the Wild” as Want to Read:
The Call of the Wild

Read Book* *Different edition

The Call of the Wild

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  284,052 ratings  ·  8,295 reviews
First published in 1903, The Call of the Wild is regarded as Jack London's masterpiece. Based on London's experiences as a gold prospector in the Canadian wilderness and his ideas about nature and the struggle for existence, The Call of the Wild is a tale about unbreakable spirit and the fight for survival in the frozen Alaskan Klondike.
Published January 1st 2001 by Scholastic (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Call of the Wild, please sign up.
Michelle I think this book is great for all ages, although the language and style are older, so it could be difficult for a child to understand and get into…moreI think this book is great for all ages, although the language and style are older, so it could be difficult for a child to understand and get into without some guidance. Children will understand it as a grand adventure story told through the eyes of a dog. Adults will see the deeper themes about society, human nature and justice.

There is quite a bit of violence in the book (dog fights, dog deaths, animal abuse), so that is something to consider if giving it to a child to read, as well. (less)
Bodhi It is a short novel, a novella. Some editions have only 100 pages! It has seven (VII) separately named parts or "chapters".

·  284,052 ratings  ·  8,295 reviews

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Men are so cruel. The way they break animals is deplorable; they use them, exploit them and abuse them all in the name of sport, entertainment and human convenience. Men are cruel. They try to conquer rather than living in a world of mutual respect; it’s man who has lost his nature, and he imposes such a thing on everything he comes across, but the animals will fight back:

“With a roar that was almost lion like in its ferocity, he again hurled himself at the man”

Buck is kidnapped (dognapped is
brian
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am a dog obsessive. i'm nuts. dogs are my moby dick. they're my opera-house in the jungle. if i had a genie in a bottle, i'd wish away all human life (including my own) so dogs could take over the world. wait. that'd be wish number two. number one would be that i had an olympic sized swimming pool filled with dogs and i could do a few laps. then i'd erase humanity. seriously. my dog is the coolest guy i've ever met, my best friend, and love of my life. if it sounds weird: piss off. i don't wan ...more
Stephen
REVIEW ADVISORY:

Please be aware that, while the following review contains a number of adorable animals pics, young Ricky Schroder, who starred in the movie version of the novel, will NOT appear...I feared that would raise the sugar content of this report to diabetically dangerous levels.

Awwwwwww.....the classic “coming of age” story, with the nifty twister of having the main character be a pawky puppy going on doggiehood. I really licked it liked it, so two paws up there.

BTW, I'm not going t
Ben Winch
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, anglo, 5-stars
I defy anyone - man, woman or child - not to like The Call of the Wild. It's the most exciting adventure, the most moving love story, the deepest meditation on a creature and its place in nature. If you aren't cheering for Buck the dog by the end of this you're either hard-hearted or a cat-lover.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Call of the Wild, Jack London
The Call of the Wild is a short adventure novel by Jack London. The central character of the novel is a dog named Buck. The story opens at a ranch in Santa Clara Valley, California, when Buck is stolen from his home and sold into service as a sled dog in Alaska. He becomes progressively feral in the harsh environment, where he is forced to fight to survive and dominate other dogs. By the end, he sheds the veneer of civilization, and relies on primordial instinct
Mark Lawrence
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I remembered discovering either Call of the Wild or Whitefang when I was a boy and really liking it, so on finding this on our shelves I read it to Celyn (12 but too disabled to read).

I found myself translating on the hoof as the book was written in 1903 and much of the language is quite Dickensian. Celyn's vocabulary, whilst largely unknown to me, must be derived from books and conversations, and neither of those would have supplied her with many of the words in Call of the Wild.

I found myself
jessica
my goodness, this is a tough one for me to review. the abundance of violence and animal cruelty made this such an emotional read for me. i can understand why this is a classic and so well loved - there are many great themes in this book and the resolution is quite satisfying, but i struggled with most of the content. this was not a bad book, it just wasnt as enjoyable for me personally.

Lynne King
“Love, genuine passionate love, was his for the first time. This he had never experienced at Judge Miller’s down in the sun-kissed Santa Clara Valley. With the Judge’s sons, hunting and tramping, it had been a working partnership; with the Judge’s grandsons, a sort of pompous guardianship; and with the Judge himself, a stately and dignified friendship. But love that was feverish and burning, that was adoration, that was madness, it had taken John Thornton to arouse.”

In reading this book, I had
Mohsin Maqbool
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I FIRST read Jack London's "The Call of the Wild" as a Classics Illustrated comic-book in the 1960s. I was in my early teens and was hardly interested in who Mr. London was or what he did for a living. All I was interested in was reading comic-books and enjoying them.
description
Finally, I was able to read the 32,000-word adventure novella this year in September-October. The book ended up in my list of favourite books. I also felt somewhat disappointed with myself for not having read the tome during my scho
Councillor
The Call of the Wild is the classic dog novella, the book to check out if you want to know how dogs were portrayed in classic literature. Nobody could deny Jack London's reputation in his genre, and thousands of readers seem to love his dog stories. He was certainly a good author, as it is almost impossible to think of any other author who might have been able to paint such a dark, realistic and captivating picture of the Alaskan landscape, of nature's rudeness and the frameworks of the laws of ...more
Kenny
Jack London, CALL OF THE WILD

When I was younger, my mom bought me a copy of Call Of The Wild. It was part of a series of books for boys. I wish I had read it back then. It is a marvelous book. I'm only sorry that it took me so lo
Apatt
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Novels narrated from a dog’s point of view are rarities. I distinctly remember reading two, Fluke by the late great James Herbert, and Cujo by Stephen King (only partly from the dog’s POV). If the author’s talent is up to the task, it is quite a nice change in perspective (though I am sure you wouldn't want to read fiction from a canine perspective all the time unless you are a dog, even actual dogs don't want to do that, I have asked a few).

Set in the Yukon during the 1890s Klondike Gold Rush,
Trish
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like many others, I'm sure, my first encounter with Jack London was through Disney's beloved 1991 classic movie Wolfsblut (or White Fang) starring Ethan Hawke. I fell in love with the rough and wild landscape as well as the dog portraying the halfbreed.

This is "the other story" Jack London wrote about a dog. It's a novella, technically, but like the novel that he's now known for the most, this also tells of the wild north, of snow and ice and of a hard life.

We meet Buck, a dog living in the Unit
Orsodimondo
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana, avventura
IL VALORE DELLA LIBERTÀ
Nonostante l’ambientazione sia principalmente all’aria aperta, questo romanzo è è un capostipite del genere ‘carcerario’, autentica discesa agli inferi: perché Buck viene strappato alla sua vita di cane domestico, fatta di ozio riposo coccole e sicurezza, e sbattuto in un attimo in un mondo di cattività, violenza, repressione, prevaricazione – da un’esistenza protetta, da pari a pari, scagliato nell’inferno dove domina la legge del più forte – dal sole della California ai
Scoobs
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scoobs by: Juliet Echo Whisky
Joseph
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Call of the Wild by Jack London is the fictional biography of a Santa Clara dog who finds himself on an adventure of a lifetime. London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self-educated past grammar school.

The story opens with Buck, a St. Bernard and Ge
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Re-read with a buddy!

Back in the day... like when I was a kid, I read this and enjoyed the whole concept of a novel written from the PoV of a dog, but oddly, I read Cujo before this.

The results?

A skewed perspective. :) I love dogs and love the whole idea that London UNDERSTOOD them... but since then? I have the sneaking suspicion we're not even talking about dogs so much as the desire to run away from Victorian civilization.

Why was this so popular back in the day? Because everyone was sick of
Char (Tacky Genre Buff)
3.5/5

The Call of the Wild is told from the dog Buck's point of view.

I read this as a teenager but I don't remember much of it. I do remember that I received it as a Christmas present and that it was part of a package of classic books, but that's about it.

I'm glad I re-read this, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did back in the day,(if I remember correctly). I am not a person that enjoys anything with animal abuse and as I get older I find myself less and less tolerant of those sorts of scenes.
Ron
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-legs, classics, audio
**Spoilers ahead**

The Call of the Wild was not the first book that I remember reading as a boy, but it’s the first book that I remember loving. I had a growing enthusiasm for reading. I loved dogs. These two things fit together. That was around the age of nine or ten. (A few years later, I would pick up Cujo by Stephen King. Another dog book. Not at all the same!) Anyway, the story of Buck resonated with me because he never gave up, and through London’s words I felt like I caught of glimpse insi
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، این داستان، یکی از شاهکارهایِ <جک لندن> میباشد که از 7 فصل تشکیل شده است و <جک لندن> این داستان را بر اساسِ مشاهدات و تجربیاتش در "قطب شمال" نوشته است و قهرمانِ داستانش همچون داستانِ معروفِ "سپید دندان"، بازهم یک سگ است... سگی با ابهت و با تنومند به نامِ <باک> که بر اساسِ نوشته هایِ <جک لندن> سگی بوده است که سلطانِ خزندگان و پرندگان و چرندگان آن منطقه بوده است و در بین اهالی و همچنین ساکنینِ خانهٔ صاحبش یعنی <قاضی میلر> از محبوبیت و احترام بالایی بر ...more
Britany
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not sure why I've never read this one, but picking it up now, I was worried about the potential to be broken hearted.

Buck is kidnapped from his comfy farm life with the judge and is thrown on a train. He finds himself enslaved with some terrible men until he ends up sold to the government as part of a courier service in Alaska. He quickly has to learn to adapt to the harsh environment and the pecking order between the existing dogs. He barely gets anything to eat and is constantly abused into su
Aqsa
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't quite know how I'm supposed to review this one. I know I enjoyed reading it though it depressed me and made me angry at times at the violence and cruelty people show to animals.
That I just can't stand.

As for the writing. it was addictive. I didn't think I'd enjoy a book with Buck being the narrative but it was really fascinating. Reading about how Buck changed from being a civilized and naive dog to a wild and cunning wolf was a great experience.

“Old longings nomadic leap,
Chafing at cu
BrotherSkip
The brutality and violence against animals made this a difficult read. The description of landscape is perfect prose.
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Well. Now I just wanna hug my husky.
Natalie Vellacott
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
"During the four years since his puppyhood he had lived the life of a sated aristocrat; he had a fine pride in himself, was ever a trifle egotistical...but he had saved himself by not becoming a mere pampered house dog. Hunting and kindred outdoor delights had kept down the fat and hardened his muscles; and to him, as to the cold-tubbing races, the love of water had been a tonic and a health preserver."

This story about Buck, the half St Bernard half Scotch shepherd dog, is brilliantly written.
Brenda
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From belonging to Judge Miller in the Santa Clara Valley to his life on the frozen landscapes of Alaska, Buck, part St Bernard, part Shepherd went through a myriad of owners and situations as he learned the cunning of his species and the wiles he needed to be the best. He learned hate, but he also learned a deep love, and found an indomitable spirit which kept him alive when things were at their worst.

The Call of the Wild is a brilliant book, and definitely worth reading. I was caught up in the
Diane
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, audiobooks
If my dog could read, he would never shut up about how great this book is.

"The Call of the Wild" is the story of Buck, a beautiful and powerful dog who was stolen from his comfy home in California and forced to become a sled dog in Alaska. Buck starts to shed his civilized ways and learns how to survive in the wild. He is noble and fierce, and eventually becomes a leader of the pack.

As I said, my dog would love this book. My 10-year-old nephew would love this book. It's a classic adventure story
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

Man can be cruel, especially where animals are concerned, and especially in the past before they were enlightened to decency toward our furry friends. Buck actually had a good life for awhile, but soon he was kidnapped and forc
Carmo
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O meu primeiro livro de Jack London, e não podia ter corrido melhor. Caí de chapa em plena natureza selvagem; como se tivesse atravessado em correria pradarias ao calor do sol, como se tivesse sido eu a palmilhar milhas com um trenó às costas levando com a neve e a chuva nas trombas, perdido o fôlego ao cair num rio de águas geladas, remoinhos, rápidos e rochas pontiagudas. Doeu-me tudo!
Doeu-me ainda mais a maldade humana, a arrogância do homem capaz de escravizar e maltratar animais, e emocione
Mahdi Lotfi
جک لندن، نویسنده ی آمریکاییتبار که از آثار معروف او آوای وحش و گرگ دریا است، از معدود نویسندگانی است که از راه داستان نویسی به ثروت فراوان دست یافت. نویسنده ی کتاب آوای وحش حوادثی را که در داستان های خود به تصویر می کشد با چشم خود دیده و با شخصیت های اصلی داستانهایش ارتباط داشته و آنها را می شناخته. در داستان ها و نوشته های جک لندن تأثیر افکار چارلز داروین٬ هربرت اسپنسر٬ کارل مارکس و فریدریش نیچه آشکار است. این آثار که گاهی رنگ شدید ناتورالیستی به خود می گیرند قطعاً در آنها تجزیه و تحلیل های بسی ...more
The R.E.A.D. Book...: December 2019 - Call of the Wild 1 7 Dec 18, 2018 07:04PM
Writing Contest in Dawaon City 1 2 Jul 01, 2018 01:51PM
Appropriate for what age 1 8 Apr 02, 2018 12:57PM
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Anna Karenina
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Studs Lonigan
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The American Boy's Handy Book
  • Snow Dog
  • Julie (Julie of the Wolves, #2)
  • Old Yeller
  • Justin Morgan Had a Horse
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain, #3)
  • Parade's End
  • Baree: The Story of a Wolf-Dog
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.
London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
“He was mastered by the sheer surging of life, the tidal wave of being, the perfect joy of each separate muscle, joint, and sinew in that it was everything that was not death, that it was aglow and rampant, expressing itself in movement, flying exultantly under the stars.” 1167 likes
“There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive.
This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame; it comes to the soldier, war-mad in a stricken field and refusing quarter; and it came to Buck, leading the pack, sounding the old wolf-cry, straining after the food that was alive and that fled swiftly before him through the moonlight.”
322 likes