Start by marking “Hartsburg, USA: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Hartsburg, USA: A Novel

Hartsburg, USA: A Novel

Hartsburg, Ohio, is a vintage rust-belt town on the wane; the factories and foundries are closed. And as the local cineplex gives way to yet another fundamentalist church, an ideological turf war has begun.

Oppressed by a dominant culture hostile to her values, born-again Christian mom Bevy Baer decides to run for a spot on the school board. Her plucky door-to-door campaign
Published August 21st 2007 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about Hartsburg, USA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hartsburg, USA

Start your review of Hartsburg, USA: A Novel
Julie
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
After reading a description of this book, I was looking forward to a hilarious red state versus blue state bloodbath. I hoped this book would be funnier than it turned out to be. It was also too crass for my taste. On the up side, there were a couple of moments where I thought about political issues, and people, from a new perspective. Oh, and I learned the real words to a couple of lines from "Mrs. Robinson" that I didn't even know I didn't know before.
KELLY
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I was ready to dislike this book based on a lot of bad reviews on here but I actually kind of liked it. Wasn't a chore to finish, I didn;t like the two main characters at first but they grew on me. It was a bit wordy with the dialouge at times, I did find myself skimming when i could tell it had nothign to do with the plot. Otherwise, not bad.
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Both main characters really started to get on my nerves, so I never finished the book.
Julian
Sep 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: regular-fiction
This wasn't good enough to finish. Completely contrived. This book is a good lesson in why telling is way worse than showing, for writers.
Andrea
May 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics
I wanted to like this book, really I did, but ultimately I found myself rushing through the end just to be finished with it - and sighing with relief after it was all over.
Kirstin
Mar 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
boring story, a bit preachy at times and lots of bad language
Cindy
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great read and very timely. Mizner treats his characters with compassion and humor.
Courtney Hayes
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
A really fun read. Highly recommended, especially if you like down and dirty contemporary politics.
Dawn
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
quick, easy read; interesting concept with elections coming up; writing style basic; characters could all easily be somebody you know, although didn't really connect with any.
Jeremy Unger
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Really wanted to like this book but just never could into it. Had to put it down after about 100 pages
Jason
Nov 04, 2007 rated it it was ok
Maybe, in the right circumstances, I could have liked this. But I cashed it in after the 100 page investment. Just didn't take.
Lawrence A
Katrina
rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2008
Cab
rated it did not like it
Oct 20, 2013