Jump to ratings and reviews

Girl Without Borders

Chicago. West side. Follow the paths of three young lovers, at the turn of the millenium. Working-class punks and degenerate-labelled youth move across the urban landscape, effortlessly, at night. Suffering the depths to which culture has sunk. Looking for refuge. Fearless in love. Will is a young man with a big heart and big dreams. Intelligent, sensitive and compassionate. Determined to make a life for himself in the city. Determined to learn the code of the streets. He falls for a girl, Bella, who has a punk attitude and style all her own. In no time, she steals his heart. LIfe gets complicated, as Will gets lost in love. There is another woman, Cass who has her heart set on Will. But the love is unrequited. Danger, drama, and emotional turmoil loom on the horizon. Generation X. Raised on punk rock, hip-hop and celebrity worship. Raised on high fructose corn-syrups. Raised on pop and pop culture detritus. Raised on flat land, with crazy straws. Living on Division Street: between flatline expectations, and naturally evocative feeling states of youthful vitality. Praying not to be reduced to culture's blind carbon copies. Wannabe rockstars and burnouts. Follow the tale of youth who live and love large, in the shadow of the generation before them. Where love becomes power... with tragic consequences.

176 pages, Paperback

First published September 14, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Katya Mills

9 books136 followers
An Independent, Katya Mills is an American and nonbinary writer of German and Huguenot (French Protestant) descent. They grew up in New England, mostly in New Hampshire, the 'Live Free or Die' state. They studied at Northwestern University and spent about a decade in Chicago before settling in California. Mills is a licensed psychotherapist and helps people imagine, envision and reauthor the stories of their lives. Mills writes creative nonfiction, fiction, poetry, and has a lifelong obsession with words. The stories they create often involve marginalized characters who have been somehow reduced or overlooked and, in turn, they have exiled or overlooked themselves. Lovers, dreamers, loners, addicts, scribblers, and latchkey kids. Adventures toward wholeness. You can find Katya Mills also on Amazon.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (3%)
1 star
5 (16%)
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews
Profile Image for Katya Mills.
Author 9 books136 followers
Read
April 1, 2019
I am the author of this book. I wrote the greater portion of this book when I was in my twenties, living in Chicago on the west side (not far from where the Smashing Pumpkins got famous, and the movie High Fidelity was filmed). I used to go to the coffeeshops in Bucktown and the Polish Triangle with my laptop to write. This was late 1990s and you could get your ass kicked for writing on a laptop in public. It wasn't cool to be a geek. Writing from my protagonist Will's perspective was not difficult seeing as I am gender fluid myself. I was a pretty tough chick or I thought I was, rather angry at the world, introverted, rebellious in attitude and spirit. I hung around other punks and geeks I met in the bars, cafes and small clubs on Division and Damen, and in Wicker Park and the Ukrainian Village. All I wanted was to be left alone and write. I was in some existential pain, I suppose, lonely in my heart. So I gravitated toward others who felt injured or broken. I had more than one love/hate relationship, the characteristics of which you will find in the novel. You can call in creative nonfiction if not fiction. If you ever go to Chicago look up Quimby's bookstore and the Flat Iron Building. I wrote the greater portion of this book a stone throw away.
2 reviews1 follower
October 1, 2013
Growing up in Chicago, it was easy to read the descriptions and feel like at any point, I could have been sitting at the bar with any one of the characters. Striking up a conversation, being a part of the world the author created. You feel Will's frustrations; you can feel those experiences as if they were your own. You can almost remember walking down the street with Will or sitting at the bar ordering another whiskey as you make your way through the pages.

I wanted to give Will a hug and a high-five and a smack on the back of the head. It was like he was someone I loved once, long ago.
Profile Image for Velvet.
78 reviews34 followers
October 30, 2019
Interesting

Three very hesitant stars. Here's why: I'm not sure what I just read.

Will has some lady friends. Will is mistreated. So is everyone else in this book. There's a lot going on. And nothing going on.

The writing is at once beautiful and annoying. Often poetic, it grated on me at times. I found a lot to love and much to not love.

I think my timing was off for this one. I ended up skimming the second half of the book and I hate doing that because I don't think it's fair to the author or the characters. So I'll likely pick this back up at a later date when I'm in the right frame of mind.

Thanks to Goodreads and the author for the ARC.
Profile Image for Katya Mills.
Author 9 books136 followers
April 2, 2022
i am the author. the first novel i ever completed. written while living in Chicago. published many years later.
Profile Image for MYMY.
346 reviews9 followers
January 15, 2023
ummm no…sorry

The writing style annoyed me. No quotes but instead italicized font when a new character was talking. However when whomever that person was addressing, their words weren’t changed so it matched the text of the story that was being told. *Rolling my eyes* couldn’t tell if someone was speaking or if the story was unfolding.
I was pretty much lost for most, if not all of it. Couldn’t tell which way the story was going; whether or not it was a past, present, or a future occurrence. It was confusing. I honestly couldn’t tell you if there was a point to it all.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Goodreads for gifting me with a copy of Girl Without Borders through the Goodreads Giveaways. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
Profile Image for Nancy Mcclenathan.
148 reviews6 followers
June 22, 2021
Thanks to Goodread’s giveaway ebook. This author has a unique style of writing.
Profile Image for Marissa.
3,021 reviews36 followers
September 11, 2019
Goodreads Kindle Copy Win

Growing up in Chicago as music is their catalyst. Their lives intertwine and so is their love for one another as lines become blurry. Somewhat uneven at times it just did not capture my vision. It was a so-so read for me.
Profile Image for Kasey.
168 reviews18 followers
Want to read
November 11, 2019
Thank you for the opportunity to review this book as a giveaway recipient. I am excited to read it and will update my thoughts on this book soon!
Profile Image for Tony Parsons.
4,156 reviews75 followers
August 13, 2019
Chicago, IL. Lance (drummer), & Will (20+, Puerto Rican, acoustic guitar) were out riding their bicycles.
Lance took a spill. Some farmer came to the rescue patched him up & gave him something to drink.
The Empty Bottle. The Alkaline Trio band was playing. Will had bought Cass (drama Queen) a couple of beers.
It seems Bella Virginia Vaughn might have a thing for Will also.
Lounge Axe. Helynn & Will went to have a few drinks & get to know each other.

What is in Will’s future?

I did not receive any type of compensation for reading & reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers & authors, I am under no obligation to write a positive review. Only an honest one.

A very awesome book cover, great font & writing style. A fairly well written urban adventure book. It wasn’t always very easy for me to read/follow from start/finish, but never a dull moment. There were no grammar/typo errors, nor any repetitive or out of line sequence sentences. Lots of exciting scenarios, with several twists/turns & a great set of unique characters to keep track of. This could also make another great urban adventure movie, or better yet a mini TV series. Not sure I understood the whole story content. That said I will only rate it at 3/5 stars.

Thank you for the free author; Goodreads; MakingConnections; Making Connections discussion group talk; Amazon Digital Services LLC.; book
Tony Parsons MSW (Washburn)
Profile Image for Catbythesea reads.
154 reviews3 followers
December 13, 2022
This was a GoodReads giveaway book.
I was not able to try to continue to read this.
I felt it's written where you feel trippy, high and confused.😵‍ I've never read anything like this. I don't know if it is supposed to be poetic or written like a rap song?🤷 I even thought that maybe it was badly translated from another language.🤷 Some sentences were incomplete and made no sense at all.🤔 I’m sorry to the writer, but I tried.🖤
Profile Image for Bridget's  Books.
158 reviews1 follower
March 24, 2022
This was a GoodReads giveaway book. I tried to like it, I really did, but couldn't even finish the first chapter. I'm not saying it is a bad book. It's just not my style. The writing makes what I read of it feel like what I would imagine an artificially induced "trip" to be like. Just not for me. Sorry. 🤷
Profile Image for Isabelle.
3 reviews22 followers
March 20, 2018
No, I will not spoil it but I will say this: I thought It was a great girl book! Its real nice to sit out and have a girl-friend book with you.
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.