Start by marking “Bitter Pill” as Want to Read:
Bitter Pill

Bitter Pill

The truth is a bitter pill...

Rennie Harlow is having a bad year. She had a handsome husband, a good job, and a renovated condo in Chicago. Now, thanks to one "exotically beautiful" paralegal, she’s divorced, faking her way through a writing career, and living above her hypochondriac mother's garage back in Morrisville, the small town she couldn't leave fast enough at eight
Published October 28th 2013 by Stacey Kade Books

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Pill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Pill

Tatiana
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
За что я люблю Кейд - так это зато, что она умеет создавать атмосферу в своих книгах, в которую ты окунаешься без оглядки.

Bitter Pill - это не любовный роман: не ждите треугольников, постельных сцен, драматических любовных признаний, банальных сцен. Своего рода романтик в книги есть и на мой взгляд он идеален.

В книге много "черного юмора" от лица главной героини, который я нашла очень забавным, легким. Это не тот тип юмора, от которого хочется смеяться во весь голос, но тот типа от которого губ
Jennavier
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm curious if this is one of Kade's earlier works from before she got published. While it's a lot of fun, there's a lot of stuff that doesn't work. If feels like a series but I'm glad it's not.
Stacee
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this story. It was a quick, entertaining read that left me wanting more. No, really. I hope there's more [and I'll be bugging Stacey about this] because the ending nearly had me screaming. If it wasn't for the "The End" on the bottom of the page, I would have thought there was a problem with my e-book...

MCs:

Rennie: Recently divorced, Rennie comes back to her small town home to live with her mom. She's quick to find trouble and whether she likes it or not, realizes
Kathleen
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bitter Pill is an entertaining mystery that follows the adventures of freelance writer and amateur sleuth Rennie Harlow, who has a knack of getting herself into trouble and finding dead bodies.

After four years of marriage and living in Chicago, Rennie Harlow's husband attorney Jeffrey Michael divorces her gets remarried three days after the divorce is finalized to Maria, his former legal assistant / mistress. Scorned and bitter, Rennie returns to her small hometown of Morrisville, Illinois, to r
Christina Heather
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I was so surprised by Bitter Pill, and definitely in a good way. I was expecting another book with heavy romance, but light everything else, and while those types of books are fine and I usually really enjoy them, Bitter Pill was such a breath of fresh air. This story does have romancy elements but it’s so so much more. With a strong likeable lead character, and an edge-of-your-seat mystery, Stacey Kade wrote an incredibly satisfying read that I didn’t want to end.
Bitter Pill is basically a myst
Jenna
I have yet to read a Stacey Kade book that I haven’t enjoyed, and Bitter Pill, her first foray into the NA/Adult genre, didn’t disappoint me.

Bitter Pill is a quick, but humorous murder/mystery with a great lead character who cannot seem to stay out of trouble. She has a knack for finding dead bodies (something I’m glad I’ve never possessed) and romantic chemistry with the sheriff, who is out of her reach, since he is married. Author Kade leads readers through the mystery like a pro and had me g
hpboy13
Stacey Kade is incapable of writing a bad book. Like, if I asked her to write a bad book, she’d probably struggle. I got this book because I was in severe withdrawal after finishing her Project Paper Doll series, and I was not disappointed. Bitter Pill, while being an adult book, contained much of the same charm her other books did.

The book reminded me most of all of Veronica Mars; since that show was one of the best things ever, I mean that as the highest of compliments. The heroine, Rennie, is
Mona
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, mystery
I've enjoyed Stacey's YA books so I thought I'd try out her contemporary mystery-that-borders-on-romance. All I can say is: Stacey, you'd better be writing, girl, 'cause I want to know how this turns out! I want to know what happens with Rennie!! Does she get custody of the kids? Does Jake leave his wife? Does some other guy come along for Rennie? Do the secrets get spilled? Inquiring minds want to know!

Get crackin' on the next one.

ETA - I started this book after watching The Voice and read til
Liz
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It reminded me of Star Wars A New Hope. The story is engaging, the backstory hits just the right balance (and hints at some great stories), and the ending is satisfying while still leaving storylines for a sequel. Wish there was a sequel!
Juniper Shore
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance
If you've read either of Stacy Kade's young adult series ("The Ghost and the Goth" and "Project Paper Doll") you're probably expecting something similar here. Prepare to be surprised. Bitter Pill is an adult novel about a divorced woman in a small Indiana town. There's nothing supernatural about the story, but there is a lot of romantic longing and a fairly exciting mystery.

The book is written in the first person and Rennie is an engaging narrator. There are a few elements of chick lit here--her
Tony Parsons
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rennie Harlow is having a bad year. She had a handsome husband, a good job, & a renovated condo in Chicago. Now divorced she is back in Morrisville where she grew up living in her mother’s garage apartment. Her ex & his new wife are expecting twins. Rennie goes to the pharmacy to pick up a narcolepsy prescription Dr. Murphy prescribed for the hypochondriasis mother. Worst case scenario she finds Dr. Hallacy the pharmacist, dead behind the counter. To top it off this is the 3rd dead perso ...more
Jacque
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rennie Harlow grew up in a small town and moved to Chicago after high school. She graduated from college, got married, and had a great job. Life was moving along smoothly until she discovered her husband was having an affair with his paralegal. She moved back to her hometown and is now living in the apartment above her mother's garage while working as a freelance writer for the local paper. As if being divorced and returning home isn't scandal enough, trouble constantly surfaces around her. She ...more
Hajar
I have read Stacey Kade 738 Days and this is my second book from her. Even though Bitter Pill synopsis tells about the mystery happens but it is more focusing about Rennie's life.
Rennie is a divorcee reporter who happens to have such a bad luck to meet the dead. She came back to her hometown after divorce to took care of her mother.
One day.she happens to meet another dead and that when the story began.Rennie has a huge crush from the Sheriff in town and while the work together,there are so man
Jane
My thanks go to Stacey Kade, author of Bitter Pill and Goodreads First Reads Giveaway for my copy of this mystery book.

Rennie Harlow the main character came across as a real person and the feel of the small town, how a person feels as an outsider was done perfectly. The twists in solving the mystery of the third body Rennie has found since she came back to the town where she grew up felt more real than the way it is done on TV. Sheriff Jake Bristol and solving Doc's murder with his fascination w
Heather
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it

Boy, does Rennie have trouble follow her? This was a fun, quick read that definitely will hold a reader’s interest. The mystery itself was intriguing and after finishing it I was surprised I didn’t solve it. The clues were definitely there, but not “in your face” nor did the murderer come out of left field. I enjoy the small town feel in books and really getting to know the characters. Because of this, I ended up feeling disappointed in the character(s) that deceived me and the town. Th
Ariel
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books-i-own
I rather adore Stacey Kade. I have yet to read a book by her that I haven't just loved, and this one is no exception.

this was a pretty short one, and as a result left me with a few questions, but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Did she end up giving her ex-husband his alimony money back? I really hope not! He's a douche.

Does she and the sexy Bristol ever get together, despite his marital status? Please say yes!

Does Mrs. Bitchy ever get her comeupance for tying that poor dog to a tree? Yuuuuuu
Samantha March
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stacey Kade is now on tour with CLP Blog Tours and Bitter Pill
This book starts right off the bat with Rennie finding a dead body, and the action doesn’t seem to stop from there. I believe this is part of a series, because every once in a while there is a storyline mentioned that seems to be old news, and I would love to get my hands on more from Rennie’s life. The book is fast-paced and I thought the mystery aspect was great. Through each plot twist my opinion on the killer switched, and I’m hap
Rebecca
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book free through goodreads first reads

I must say, I really really enjoyed this book!! From the beginning I was pulled into the story line. I love the depth of the characters, and really like Rennie! I love a quirky female lead!!

Rennie finds herself at the center of trouble, heart ache, and town gossip, all while doing her own sleuthing to discover a murderer.

This is a fun and interesting read and I REALLY REALLY hope we hear more from these characters!!
Connie
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it! A real page turner! I received this book, free, in a Goodread's First Read's Giveaway. Thank You! Rennie is back home after a bitter divorce. But she does not find much peace in this small town full of devious, secretive and dishonest characters! In addition, Rennie has a major crush on Bristol, the very married sheriff! Oh boy, Rennie is in deep trouble!
Shay
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Bitter Pill is a page-turning small-town mystery, of the sort where everyone thinks they know each other’s business, but as Rennie delves into the mystery of Doc Hallacy’s death, she stumbles over more Morrisville secrets than she can shake a cane at. read more
Stef Wade
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fun who-dunnit novel with a little feminine twist. It kept me engaged the entire time. My only beef with this book was that even if I was paying the closest of attention, I don't think I couldn't have guessed the killer. I feel like that part of the story needed some more subtle developing.
Diane
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Really liked this book. It was a short read, but kept you engaged. A mystery with a side of mild romance. I'm hoping with the ending there is a follow up cause it would be a shame for rennie's story to end like that. She needs a HEA and I hope there will be more super sleuthing for her.
Louise Wardell
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thank you Goodreads for the opportunity to read this book. I really enjoyed the story. I didn't figure out the killer until the end. Rennie had some bumps in life then keeps finding dead bodies. She is a great character with a big heart.
Jackie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It started off great but quickly turned boring once you realize the main character is lusting after the married cop. rennie comes across dead body number 4 and all she can do is fantasize about a man. give me a break.
Keisha
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. The tension between rennie and bristol made me mad, i felt bad for her and just wanted her to have a happy ending. But he was married. And if it were me i would not have let his wife off so easy if she did that to my dog.
Letticia
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love, murder
I have always loved Stacey Kade's works. "Bitter Pill" is wonderful read and I hope a new series for her. The character, Rinnie, I just so smart,lovable and heartbreaking.This was a perfect good read!
Julie
May 05, 2014 added it
Shelves: dnf
dnf
Panda Panda
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading and Rennie made me laugh out loud.
Mignon
Apr 29, 2014
Jamie
rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Need (Want, #2)
  • What Would Oprah Do?
  • Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)
  • The Prism of Ashlai (The Gailean Quartet #1)
  • The Mumbo Jumbo Circus (Mumbo Jumbo Circus, #1)
  • Of Dreams and Shadow (Forget Me Not #1)
  • Jazz in Love
  • Alphabet Soup For Grown-Ups
  • How to Stop a School Shooting: a love story
  • Drawn Into Darkness
  • Come Back to Texas (Twelve Beats in a Bar, #1)
  • The Only One (Only, #3)
  • In Control (The City, #2)
  • Pennies from Hell
  • Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, #2)
  • Spell Fire
  • The Brim Reaper: A Samantha Kidd Humorous Mystery
  • Screaming To Be Solved
The daughter of a minister and a music teacher, Stacey Kade grew up reading Harlequin romances on the sly in the basement. Kade is the author of two young adult series (The Ghost and Goth trilogy and the Project Paper Doll series). Her first adult contemporary romance, 738 DAYS, was released earlier this year.

Prior to writing full time, Kade worked as an award-winning copywriter for several Fortun