Start by marking “The Positive Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Attributes” as Want to Read:
The Positive Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Attributes

The Positive Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Attributes

(Writers Helping Writers Series #3)

Character creation can be hard, but it’s about to get a lot easier. Inside The Positive Trait Thesaurus, you’ll find:

* A large selection of attributes to choose from when building a personality profile. Each entry lists possible causes for why a trait might emerge, along with associated attitudes, behaviors, thoughts, and emotions
* Real character examples from literature,
Published October 21st 2013 by JADD Publishing (first published October 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Positive Trait Thesaurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Positive Trait Thesaurus

Start your review of The Positive Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Attributes
K.M. Weiland
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
At its heart, this is, of course, a reference manual. Ninety-five percent of the book offers an incredibly detailed list of possible positive attributes for writers to consider and assign to their characters. But this is so much more than just a list. The authors have analyzed, categorized, contrasted, and brainstormed a tremendous resource for authors to use in not just slapping traits onto their characters, but in considering the story-wide ramifications of those choices.

The fantastic resource
Jami
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All fiction writers
I love Angela and Becca’s The Emotion Thesaurus, so I had high hopes for their new Trait books but didn't see how they could live up to the ET. I’m happy to say I was wrong. These two additions are fantastic resources for writers.

The Positive Trait Thesaurus leads off with helpful tips on writing characters worth rooting for and then dives into the psychological background on how positive traits develop and how we can use them in a character arc. A section even shares how villains can have
Laura L. Weller
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
I'm a fan of the Emotional Thesaurus and was impressed with the additional books and the approach to character building, although I puzzled over the two volumes. After reading them both, I underestand there the distinct philosophies of character biographies. It's more than just the flip of a pancake between pro and con behaviors. I'm starting a new YA (two, actually) and easily tried out the suggestions and didn't use every exercise, but the approach shortened my laboratory frankensstein moments ...more
Tricia Skinner
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliant and relevant

Before jumping in and flipping to specific traits, I took time to read through the beginning and then through each trait. I gained the most overall knowledge of traits for various characters in my current manuscript as well as many for future projects. This collection is a worthy companion book in the series. I've enjoyed it!
Rose
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review to come. Immensely helpful, and definitely a great companion read to "The Negative Trait Thesaurus."
Tracey Pedersen
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book series! The detail inside is worth a lot more than I paid for this book. I don't buy paperbacks anymore but I bought the whole series of these and had them shipped to Australia. Well thought out, well-ordered and easy to flick through and find what you want. Any writer looking for a way to improve their words should check out these books! If I could give them 6 stars, I would!
Roger Alderman
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book always remains close by as I work on my own fiction titles.
Horse Cryptid
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great guide from Angela and Becca! I recommend reading this along with The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws or right after each other.

Includes: writing advice from the authors, positive traits list (possible causes; associated behaviors, thoughts, and emotions; positive and negative aspects of the trait; examples from literature; traits in supporting characters that may cause conflict; challenging scenarios for the character), a character profile
Laura Kreitzer
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, 2013, non-fiction
These two authors continue to hit it out of the park with their wonderful writing ideas. They've helped me develop well-rounded characters with complex story lines, introduced me to new ways of writing, and have inspired me in so many ways. I hope they continue to publish more writing books--I'll buy every single one of them!
Mary McCoy-Dressel
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book filled with great information for writers. A book to be read and studied over and over again. An excellent tool.
Elle
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
A great follow up to THE EMOTIONAL THESAURUS.
Mercedes
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book for authors
Catarina ☀️
*I apologize if this review is super messy and/or repetitive. I wrote it late at night without my review notes and will probably don't feel like editing it tomorrow morning.*

Wow, this was a lot more thorough than The Emotion Thesaurus, which I wasn't expecting. (This kind of sounds like I didn't enjoy The Emotion Thesaurus, but I assure you that I did!)

But this thesaurus is just a level up. Much like the foreword said, this thesaurus is "concise and all encompassing" and will definitely help you
C.
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read many books that are wonderful resources for writers, amateurs to professionals, and this is certainly one of the best. Strengths make us stick with the character, make us obliged to see their journey, and Angela and Becca do us a great favour (as always) in bringing to us this marvel of a help. They save us the trouble of humongous research (for those who want to be authentic to the story and its characters) by presenting this thesaurus, which is all that and much more.

Don't be
Elle
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A good resource, but of more use in conjunction with Ackerman & Puglisi's other writing help book, The Emotional Wound Thesaurus.

I've experienced some disconnect due to the book's definition of some traits don't always match my understanding/association of the trait/name, which can make it frustrating to find what you're looking for at times, especially if led there from the Wound Thesaurus. Of course there's a limit to how many traits can be included in one book, but several times I've been
The_Tuck
Sep 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is just a series of bullet point lists about generic character traits with headings, such as "similar attributes", "associated behaviors", and other paint by numbers character information. I didn't find my time with it useful. I suppose it is meant to be thumbed through when you are stuck. In other words, a light reference book. They divide up these traits into a series of five books so, you're out like $75 if you plunge into all of these. I picked two of them up because the ...more
Stephanie
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book - a long with all the other books in the writer helping writer series - is probebly the best investment I have made when it comes to my career in story telling.

A strong character makes a book. In fact - if your plot is nothing more than a delivery driver delivering a TV to someone's house and you have a proteagenist with depth and a well throughout supporting character or two, I would read the absolute shit out of your book.

I would highly recommend these series to any writer who's
ʆɛѵi
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A handy partner to the Negative Trait Thesaurus, though it is set up a little bit differently, with four areas they recommend characters should have strengths in to better balance them. There's a couple blurbs at the front about villains and positive traits to make them more believable, and as with its companion volume, the PTT includes both the positive and negative aspects of each trait. It's a detailed list and a good starting point for making characters who are well rounded and realistic.
Willow Woodford
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Positive Trait Thesaurus talks about using traits to deepen your characterization to help your reader become emotionally invested in them. They use a similar format as the Emotion Thesaurus by defining the characteristic, listing similar attributes, possible causes and associated behaviors. I haven’t used these as thoroughly as I should, mostly because when I bought them I was in the middle of writing something I’d already developed characters for, but I’m in the beginning of a new project ...more
Chris Lofts
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have three in this series; this one along with the Guide to Character Flaws and the writers guide to character expression. Not a book to read end to end, in the same way you wouldn't read any thesaurus. The introduction provides some great insights and in the sections themselves ideas around the kind of attributes in characters that may cause conflict between protagonist and antagonist, provides much food for thought. Great companion books which have a well-deserved place on my desk where I ...more
Ellie T
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first time I tried to make a character, guess what? I didn’t look at the front where it listed the different categories of personality! But the categories are really useful. The categories really help to blend a character’s personality. For example, without the categories, I made an ‘uhhh.... what?’ character. But with the categories, I was able to blend together a mature, introverted character that’s going to be changed by SOME WILD EXTROVERTS! You heard it, there’s an s at the end! It’s ...more
M.A. Nichols
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love this series of books. They're great desk references for authors wanting inspiration for their writing. It helps spur new ideas and helps your writing from becoming stagnant and repetitive (just like having a regular thesaurus does for your word choice). I would highly recommend these books for anyone looking to improve their craft.
Kelly
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a super helpful reference book for when you're feeling kind of stale with ideas and need help exploring the possibilities for what a character's motivations and desires or reasons might be, and what traits they might have. I think leaned upon too heavily it could make one's writing prosaic but as an occasional tool or just a little bit of a prompt to use when you're stuck it's great.
Ivy Seablom
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome tool

I think this book is an awesome tool that I will be able to use while writing my book. It really breaks things down to help me build up my characters better. Plus I love that they have additional books like this too!
Amy Whitcomb
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I purchased both the POS and NEG Trait Thes and love them both! Pooling various traits REALLY helps figure out who your character is. It allows you determine how they would act in certain situations. Love, love, love these 2 books!
Madelaine Shaw-Wong
Like all of Angela Ackerman's books on writing, I find it an invaluable tool in writing my own stories.
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really good writing companion. Would recommend all the books in this series.
Lyn
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Coupled with The Negative Trait Thesaurus, a must for writers to build believable, well-rounded characters.
Lucy Mitchell
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential for writers!

This book came to my rescue during a tough edit. I only wish I had read this earlier in my writing career.
Amy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
More of a reference book than an instructional book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Creating Character Arcs: The Masterful Author's Guide to Uniting Story Structure, Plot, and Character Development (Helping Writers Become Authors Book 7)
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • The Emotional Craft of Fiction: How to Write with Emotional Power, Develop Achingly Real Characters, Move Your Readers, and Create Riveting Moral Stakes
  • Character Reactions from Head to Toe
  • Conflict and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • How to Write Dazzling Dialogue: The Fastest Way to Improve Any Manuscript
  • The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook
  • Strong Verbs for Fiction Writers (Indie Author Resources Book 2)
  • MASTER LISTS FOR WRITERS: Thesauruses, Plots, Character Traits, Names, and More
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between
  • Romancing the Beat: Story Structure for Romance Novels (How to Write Kissing Books Book 1)
  • Show, Don't Tell
  • Writing Genre Fiction: Creating Imaginary Worlds: The 12 Rules
  • The Psychology Workbook for Writers
  • The Writer's Idea Thesaurus: An Interactive Guide for Developing Ideas for Novels and Short Stories
ANGELA ACKERMAN is a writing coach, international speaker, and co-author of 7 bestselling books for writers, including The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression (now an expanded 2nd Edition). Her books are available in six languages, are sourced by US universities, and are used by novelists, screenwriters, editors, and psychologists around the world.

Angela is also the

Writers Helping Writers Series (6 books)
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression