Start by marking “The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws” as Want to Read:
The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws

The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws

Crafting likable, interesting characters is a balancing act, and finding that perfect mix of strengths and weaknesses can be difficult. But the task has become easier thanks to The Negative Trait Thesaurus.

Through its flaw-centric exploration of character arc, motivation, emotional wounds, and basic needs, writers will learn which flaws make the most sense for their heroe
Published October 21st 2013 by JADD Publishing (first published October 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Negative Trait Thesaurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Negative Trait Thesaurus

Start your review of The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws
Rose
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely one of the most helpful writing guides I've come across in quite sometime. Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi did a remarkable job of presenting a narrative on how to weave character flaws within a story and what positive and negative traits each of those respective flaws could have in shaping the character. It not only delves into how critical presenting flaws within a story are for a character, but it also explains how it can go very wrong if the execution/presentation of the ...more
K.M. Weiland
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I turn to Ackerman and Puglisi's Emotion Thesaurus regularly when needing inspiration for character reactions and action beats. Their new additions to the series are shaping up to be just as valuable, if not more so. In the introductory material to this volume, they state that they view this book as a "brainstorming tool." This is spot-on.

As they explain in their insightful opening chapters, character flaws drive character arcs. Without a solid understanding of what major problem is at the crux
Leah Good
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, writing
Before the actual "thesaurus" part of the book begins, the author spends some time discussing how to encorporate character flaws into your writing and why they're important to creating believable characters. I found some of the tips to be really thought provoking and revealing in relation to the characters I'm working with.

The thesaurus part was interesting to look through and should be helpful once I identify what my characters main flaw is.
Jami
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All fiction writers
I love Angela and Becca’s The Emotion Thesaurus, so I had high hopes for their new Trait books but didn't see how they could live up to the ET. I’m happy to say I was wrong. These two additions are fantastic resources for writers.

The Negative Trait Thesaurus opens with insights on how flaws make our characters believable and create the necessary journey and conflict for our characters' arcs. Additional tips help with making non-cardboard cutout villains and avoiding other issues when designing our characters' flaws./>The
N.
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent reference book for writers. It helped me sort out a very serious case of writer's block. The tips on how to weave flaws into the characters, what to look out for to make sure that your flawed character doesn't turn into someone completely unlikeable and many others. It's a must-have in any writer's arsenal of reference books.
Julie Musil
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just like the Emotion Thesaurus, the Negative Trait Thesaurus is a must read for writers. One of the areas I loved most was choosing a negative character trait, then matching it with a trait in another character that would offer natural conflict. Reading through these traits has helped me dig deeper and create flawed--but real--characters.
Nada Sobhi
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi is one of six writers' thesauri books by the two authors and the first of the three I have.

I figured I'd start with The Negative Trait Thesaurus because I always have difficulty giving my characters, especially the main ones, negative attributes. So, it was a good start that opened my eyes to certain negatives that I had not considered before.

I must say one of the reason
CC
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this along with its companion book, The Positive Trait Thesaurus. Both were insightful as far as giving examples in literature and film of the types of characters one can create. However, I don't know how practical it is to start off the creation of characters by pouring a list of traits into them. It's too paint-by-numbers.

Characters usually seem to evolve organically, and are more of an end result achieved when a character's voice, need, and arc meet a sort of kismet -- the character feels like
Joshua Therrien
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Joshua by: C.G. Fewston
This book, and it's two mates, "Emotion Thesaurus", and "Positive Trait Thesaurus," also written by Ackerman, are extremely helpful to anyone whom wants to be a writer. It's pretty easy to create flat, boring characters. This book helps writers craft rounded, interesting ones instead. The first part of the book contains insights on human nature and the creation of flawed characters, while the other 90% contains a thesaurus of character flaws. I recommend it to everyone. My only problem with the ...more
Horse Cryptid
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for writers who need help brainstorming ideas for conflict and character flaws. I can't wait to really buckle down and use this for my WIPs. :)

Includes: writing advice from the authors, a list of flaws (how they tend to develop; associated behaviors, thoughts, and emotions; positive and negative aspects of flaws; examples from film; ways to overcome the flaw; and traits in other characters that could cause conflict), Needs and Lies List, Reverse Backstory Tool, and Cha
Laura Kreitzer
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, 2013, non-fiction
I already said this about their book on positive traits, but I feel that it should be reiterated here: These two authors continue to hit it out of the park with their wonderful writing ideas. They've helped me develop well-rounded characters with complex story lines, introduced me to new ways of writing, and have inspired me in so many ways. I hope they continue to publish more writing books--I'll buy every single one of them!
Melinda S. Collins
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Angela and Becca have given writers a must-have writing tool! This book was instrumental in finding and creating flaws for an unruly antagonist in my current WIP. From now on, this is will be my FIRST stop in creation of characters--heroes, heroines, and villains alike.
Mercedes
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for authors.
Tracey Pedersen
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so helpful, from the planning stages of a new book, right through to fleshing out the story. Negative traits have so many more facets than what you first think and they're all contained in this reference book.
Madly Jane
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very nice book with lots of lists that help prompt research into characterization. I really enjoyed the book, learned a lot, and it raised some questions for me. Loved the Reverse Backstory Tool, which I am now using. Basically you have to want to write a rounded character to do this kind of research. This book acts as a thoughtful guide and aide. I've read though it several times, using it for two of my characters, have made notes in it and have at least a hundred posts marking pages. Of the f ...more
Pat W Coffey
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Writers of All Levels
Shelves: writing-books
The team of Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi reference book for all levels of writers sits on my desk. It has become a valuable tool during my revision process. Thank you both for this fantastic addition to my writing shelf.
Kat
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best references a writer could hope for.
Evette
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really handy reference for writers. Worth the few bucks to get it!
L.R. Braden
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-craft
This is the fourth book I've purchased in this writing craft series, and I'd highly recommend adding it to your shelf if you are a writer. It is a great tool for adding depth and variety to your characters.

Heroes versus villains. Good guys should have good traits and bad guys should have bad ones, right? But people aren't all good or all bad. Every character needs to have both positive and negative traits to be believable, but it's a tricky balance. It's all a matter of degree.
C.
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books that are wonderful resources for writers, amateurs to professionals, and this is certainly one of the best. Flaws are the most attractive facet of any character, and Angela and Becca do us a great favour (as always) in bringing to us this marvel of a help. They save us the trouble of humongous research (for those who want to be authentic to the story and its characters) by presenting this thesaurus, which is all that and much more.

Don't be misguided by the first part of t
Elle
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A good resource, but of more use in conjunction with Ackerman & Puglisi's other writing help book, The Emotional Wound Thesaurus.

I've experienced some disconnect due to the book's definition of some traits don't always match my understanding/association of the trait/name, which can make it frustrating to find what you're looking for at times, especially if led there from the Wound Thesaurus. Of course there's a limit to how many traits can be included in one book, but several times I've been
ʆɛѵi
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Didn't read this one front to back either, just looked through the kind of traits it contained. Unlike the emotion thesaurus, this one contains some useful information in the front about how to use negative traits to make believable characters. Each thesaurus entry shows the positive and negative side of the trait, similar personality aspects, actions, even causes. Useful for when you want to show something bad about your character without outright saying it, but for me personally I found the em ...more
Willow Woodford
The Positive and Negative Trait Thesaurus’s talk about using traits to deepen your characterization to help your reader become emotionally invested in them. They use a similar format as the Emotion Thesaurus by defining the characteristic, listing similar attributes, possible causes and associated behaviors. I haven’t used these as thoroughly as I should, mostly because when I bought them I was in the middle of writing something I’d already developed characters for, but I’m in the beginning of a ...more
Willow Woodford
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Negative Trait Thesaurus talks about using traits to deepen your characterization to help your reader become emotionally invested in them. They use a similar format as the Emotion Thesaurus by defining the characteristic, listing similar attributes, possible causes and associated behaviors. I haven’t used these as thoroughly as I should, mostly because when I bought them I was in the middle of writing something I’d already developed characters for, but I’m in the beginning of a new project a ...more
J.S. Menefee
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-craft
The Negative Trait Thesaurus is a solid desktop reference book for any fiction author's professional library. I'm very glad I got this book, though I was hesitant at first.

This book will not only help authors while brainstorming ideas for character weaknesses, but it also: provides insights into the kinds of background events that might cause such flaws; how the flaw impacts their view of the events around them; and solid ideas for what it takes to resolve those flaws at the characte
Chris Lofts
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have three in this series; this one along with the Guide to Character attributes and the writers guide to character expression. Not a book to read end to end, in the same way you wouldn't read any thesaurus. The introduction provides some great insights and in sections themselves, provide much food for thought. Great companion books which have a well-deserved place on my desk where I write so they're nice and handy.
M.A. Nichols
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love this series of books. They're great desk references for authors wanting inspiration for their writing. It helps spur new ideas and helps your writing from becoming stagnant and repetitive (just like having a regular thesaurus does for your word choice). I would highly recommend these books for anyone looking to improve their craft.
Christopher Ryan
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great resource, but it's of low physical quality. The margins are wide, cramming the print toward the spine; the line spacing jumps around; the font is a poor choice, especially for italics. In general it looks and feels like a print-on-demand book, which I'm sure it is (sellers should disclose such things so that buyers are aware of the quality of the book they're purchasing).
Timandra Whitecastle
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up this week because I already own The Emotion Thesaurus by Ackerman and Puglisi, and it is very useful.

The Negative Trait Thesaurus seems to be yet another helpful tool in a writers toolbox, especially when it comes to creating characters.

As always, the authors point out that you should use their Thesaurus to jumpstart your own imagination when fleshing out a character.
Eric Warren
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can not recommend this book enough for writers. Not only does this book go into detail about negative traits, their related feelings and examples of each, but Ackerman and Puglisi give a great overview of both external and internal conflict and how to build motivation for each. When I’m writing a new story this is always one of the first books I pull from my shelves.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Creating Character Arcs: The Masterful Author's Guide to Uniting Story Structure, Plot, and Character Development (Helping Writers Become Authors Book 7)
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
  • Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • The Emotional Craft of Fiction: How to Write with Emotional Power, Develop Achingly Real Characters, Move Your Readers, and Create Riveting Moral Stakes
  • MASTER LISTS FOR WRITERS: Thesauruses, Plots, Character Traits, Names, and More
  • Character Reactions from Head to Toe
  • Strong Verbs for Fiction Writers (Indie Author Resources Book 2)
  • Mastering Showing and Telling in Your Fiction (Busy Writer's Guides, #4)
  • Creating Character Arcs Workbook: The Writer's Reference to Exceptional Character Development and Creative Writing (Helping Writers Become Authors Book 8)
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • The Psychology Workbook for Writers
  • Show, Don't Tell
  • Writing Screenplays That Sell: The Complete, Step-By-Step Guide for Writing and Selling to the Movies and TV, from Story Concept to Development Deal
  • Scene & Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • The Dialogue Thesaurus: A Fiction Writer's Sourcebook of Dialogue Tags and Phrases
  • The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller
  • Character Development Journal: Everything you need to create characters your readers will love - Writers Log and Workbook (Journals for Authors)
ANGELA ACKERMAN is a writing coach, international speaker, and co-author of 7 bestselling books for writers, including The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression (now an expanded 2nd Edition). Her books are available in six languages, are sourced by US universities, and are used by novelists, screenwriters, editors, and psychologists around the world.

Angela is also
“Each human being exists inside of a subjective sphere created by his own experience.” 3 likes