Start by marking “The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister” as Want to Read:
The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister

The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister

This book showcases the best and most humorous quotes from George R.R. Martin's favourite character Tyrion Lannister, the worldly, jaded, funny, highly intelligent, cynical, womanizing star of the books. A perfect stocking-filler for every fan of the books, and of HBO's award-winning television series.

‘I only need half my wits to be a match for you’

Short and to the point.
Published November 7th 2013 by Harper Voyager (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
The quotes in this are brilliant, but this book should never have been published. This is quite a tough one to review because of this. Indeed, it is bordering on the absurd that this in itself is actually a published edition.

It's a waste of time

The quotes in this are memorable, and as the name suggests they’re witty and wise. However, there is nothing here that you can’t get of the internet. Type “Tyrion Lannister quotes” in your search engine and you’ll find all of these. I just think it’s rid
Alejandro
Plenty enough fun to read.

A GAME OF WORDS

While I haven't read yet the book series of A Song of Ice and Fire, I've been watching the TV adaptation on HBO of Game of Thrones.

So, I knew that I hadn't the proper knowledge to comment about the novels but since this particular book is merely a reference work about the quotes said by the character of Tyrion Lannister.

I thought that it was quite enough of being watching the TV series to be able to read and enjoy this book.

And I was right.

Of course,
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)

I love Tyrion. So how could I possibly not like this "little" book? It's a humorous "coffee table" type deal that is simply nothing more than collected Tyrion Lannister quotes from the various titles in the series by George R. R. Martin. I quite enjoyed it and the illustrations by Jonty Clarke added a lot. This is for adults obviously (duh, Tyrion Lannister) and just for silly entertainment value. Some of my favorite quotes:

On being a dwarf:

"I am malformed, scarred, and small, but… abed, when
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
'Twas funny and witty and short. I suppose it would have served well as a memorabilia for a GoT fanatic, which I'm not, so it didn't have that huge an effect on me, but yes, it was nice.
Ritwik
Apr 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A book as little as Tyrion, it covers the most thought-provoking of the quotes by the man himself. The illustrations are funny and imaginative although weird at times. Some of my favourite quotes from the book-

"Why is it that when one man builds a wall, the next man immediately needs to know what's on the other side?"

"We all need to be mocked from time to time,lest we start to take ourselves too seriously."

"Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. then
Omar Fadel
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, kindle, 2018
"The gods must have been drunk when they got to me".

Is Tyrion so so great to have an actual printed book filled only with his quotes? The majority of the quotes are very good, and the illustrations are funny, but what is the point of this book? It would have been better if it is, for example, the best quotes of the main characters not only of Tyrion's.

2.5 stars.
Damian Dubois
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This is one little book that you can quote from day in and day out and never get tired of Tyrion Lannister's wit, wisdom, jests and japes.

Since books are what we all love, I'll leave you with this one...

Sleep is good. And books are better.
Gally
Nov 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 star

The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister is nothing more than Tyrion quotes copied from ASoIaF, which aren't so witty when pulled out of context.

Though the quality of the printed book itself is nice, it's a shame seeing something like this published for the sake of making quick money off one of the best fantasy series ever written, but it's a sign of how the series has been going downhill for the past few years.

The caricature doesn't even look anything like way Tyrion is described in the b
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
✨LOVELY READ. BUT GOOGLE WORTHY🍃✨

Tyrion... I really like him, he is so indecisive, unpredictable, witty and wise and this little book exemplifies that. The pic’s inside I did not really care for🍃 💫
Tilly
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The quotes themselves are great but to read them in this format was just not a very unique or interesting experience. It was just quote after quote after quote and it doesnt seem necessary to make an actual printed book out of it. I know that is was supposed to be this but that doesnt change the fact that you can read all these quotes online as well. However, this book will look nice on my shelf and as a die-hard Game of Thrones fan as I am it is not a shame to own it, but it really wasnt innova ...more
Jonathan Appleton
Should I rate this one stars of two. I love the Song of Ice and Fire series and the wisdom of Tyrion Lannister. I knew I was getting something short (ahem) when I bought this. I did read some reviews.
I suppose I didn’t read enough negative reviews or didn’t believe anyone would have the audacity to charge six bucks for a book with about 400 words. OK, there are a few cute good drawings of Tyrion, but not enough to call it art and not enough to charge more than $.99.

To add insult to injury some o
Lakis Fourouklas
Let me begin by saying that I’m a huge fan of Mr. Martin and his work and that Tyrion Lannister is one of my all time favorite literary heroes. In fact I’d dare add that I didn’t enjoy A Feast for Crows as much as I should for the simple reason that Tyrion was nowhere to be found.

However, having said that I just have to point out that in my opinion this book came out a few years too early. Since dear Tyrion is still alive and kicking I’m certain that he’d be able to grace us with many more of hi
Elise
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it's just a book of quotes said by Tyrion Lannister throughout all the ASOIAF books, but he's basically the greatest character ever and probably my spirit animal, so I had to have this. If Tyrion started a religion, this would be his bible. The illustrations are great too. One of my favorites was of King Joffrey sitting on a toilet.
Medini

This book is a collection of the wittiest and the most humorous quotes of Tyrion Lannister, from The Song of Ice and Fire series. Spoilers might be ahead for those who haven’t read the books.

My favorite quotes:

A Game of Thrones

‘If a man paints a target on his chest, he should expect that sooner or later someone will lose an arrow at him.’

A Clash of Kings

‘Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.’

‘Sleep is good. Books are better.’

‘When you tear out a man’s tongue, you are not proving

Jenbebookish
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Read: March 7, 2019

There were a lot of Tyrion’s famous words in here, but it really got repetitive and I actually felt that it was missing some of his more significant words. But I guess the point of the book was of his witticisms & not so much the more serious of his lessons/words so oh well. Coulda still been better I think, Tyrion is my favorite & he’s said a lot of great stuff!
Diane
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If Tyrion Lannister were a real person, alive and well today, he probably would have smacked Martin over the head with this tiny little book from his tiny little stature and railed at him to get some sense. Just because Martin has turned into a fantasy force to be reckoned with does not mean he should just produce and publish whatever he would like.

The two stars stand because I don't necessarily HATE the collection of quotes therein, but I don't like them either. The book is down to $11 on amazo
Dev
While I enjoyed the quotes and all, I have to say, I really was expecting more. Actually, I was expecting a lot more! If you're going to just copy and paste lines from your favorite character into a book and add some funny pictures, you should really wait until AFTER you have completed the series of novels. Considering there is two (or more) books left, who knows how many more funny or witty lines Tyrion will say. So, why waste your time collecting your favorite from 1, 2, 3, and 5? Just wait. T ...more
Santhosh
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite a short read (pun intended).

Some quotes are, sadly, not even quotable. Some others are, without the context, quite flat when read by themselves. And once you stop 'hearing' them from Peter Dinklage in your head, the whole thing can just be washed down with some wine.
Sophie
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this one's a compilation of Tyrion's best quotes from the song of ice and fire series. a highly enjoyable book, i'd recommend it to anyone who adores Tyrion as much as i do. what is more, the illustrations were really good.

Sandra Bašić
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny quotes collected from Tyrion Lannister. I have to love it, Tyrion is my favourite character. I haven't read the books, only watched TV show - Peter Dinklage rules and thanks to Mr. Martin he's still alive.

"Sleep is good. And books are better. —A Clash of Kings"

Let them see that their words can cut you, and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore. —A Game of Thrones"

"Guard your tongue before it
Chelsea
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you need a laugh, this quick read is sure to lift your spirits.
James
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
An amusing short read (for a toilet break maybe). Some of the quips are pretty chortlesome, but most are not. It should really be called the Wit & Wisdom of George R.R. Martin as well, shouldn't it?
Chloe
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of Game Of Thrones, and like most other fan of the books and TV series, Tyrion is one of my favourite characters. I love his hilarious comments and witty comebacks, so having his top quotes in one book was a prospect that I could not pass up an opportunity to read.

The quotes are organised into categories (eg. On being a dwarf, The art of war, Food and drink, Kingship) which was a good way to arrange them however it does not tell you which book each quote is from, which I would ha
robb
Note before I start this review:
Tyrion Lannister is one of my many favorite characters in A Song of Ice and Fire series. The low 1-star rating is for this book only, not of A Song of Ice and Fire series, which I adore so much.

Product details of The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister:
Pricing: $10.56 (Amazon)
Hardcover: 192 pages

Product details of A Game of Thrones:
Pricing:$8.99 (Amazon)
Paperback: 864 pages

Lemme keep this short: This is not a book. Just merely a compilation of quotes from the A Son
Caro the Helmet Lady
Honestly, I would give this tiny book just a two stars, as it didn't add anything new to the picture of our beloved Tyrion Lannister, but was actually just a condensed piece of his wisdom and general smartiepantiness, created to lure some extra money from naive believers like me, who await for the winter that is coming, again and again. But I purchased it as a gift for a friend at the airport bookstore and it made him happy, so here goes one extra star, and it also made me happy by killing one b ...more
Tricia
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, downloadables
While I love that he put the titles under the quotes, I think it would have been fun to guess which book they came from!
I forget how much I enjoyed this series (not really, just sounds good to put that here)and this book makes me want to go back and read them all over again!
Katie
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
"sleep is good, books are better"

tyrion is one of my favourite characters in the show and i definitely don't have the interest or commitment to read the series so this was kind of perfect for me. a funny little book with wonderful illustrations.
Lou Robinson
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A witty little book that James and I bought Suzanne for Christmas featuring quotes from my favourite character from Game of Thrones. A mere 10 minute read.
Kevin
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read, but one that is best read at the bookstore or from the library because $16 for a 5-10 minute read is a bit much and the quotes are better in the context of the series.
Katharine Willard
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not really sure of the point of this or if it should even count towards my reading goal as it's just a collection of Tyrion's best quotes.

Fairly amusing and incredibly rude, just like the character himself.

Not sure how else to review it really.

• O Herói das Eras 2 (Mistborn #3, 2 of 2)
  • A Vingança do Assassino (A Saga do Assassino #4)
  • A Lâmina na Alma (Tigana, #1)
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 3 & 4
  • F for Effort: More of the Very Best Totally Wrong Test Answers
  • Tree and Leaf; Smith of Wootton Major; The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2
  • Texts from Dog
  • Awesome Sh*t My Drill Sergeant Said: Wit and Wisdom from America's Finest
  • The Colour Of Heaven
  • Sons of Anarchy #1 (of 6)
  • Understudies
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • Dune 2
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Magical Mystery Tour Featuring the Beetles (Season 9, #0)
  • Skullkickers, Vol. 2: Five Funerals and a Bucket of Blood
  • Pretty Deadly #3
  • The Pig of Happiness
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

“Guard your tongue before it digs your grave.” 3 likes
“If there are gods to listen, they are monstrous gods, who torment us for their sport. Who else would make a world like this, so full of bondage, blood, and pain?” 1 likes