Start by marking “The Cross Of Santiago” as Want to Read:
The Cross Of Santiago

Read Excerpt

The Cross Of Santiago

'Two couples separated by four centuries are bound by one golden cross...'

A mysterious heirloom, once worn by a Knight of the Spanish Armada, holds the secret to a past life. When Amanda Morrison receives this unusual gift, it marks the beginning of an extraordinary journey into the past, which will challenge her beliefs and open her heart.

An epic story full of historica
ebook
Published September 16th 2013 by Evie Gaughan (first published September 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Cross Of Santiago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cross Of Santiago

Trish at Between My Lines
When I started my Green Giants (Irish Author Spotlight) feature, my hope was that I would help other readers find Irish Authors to enjoy. I didn’t realise that it would also introduce me to great writers that I might never have come across. Such as Evie Gaughan, who approached me to read and review The Cross of Santiago. She only had to mention the magic words, Galway and Time Travel, and I was in!

First Line of The Cross of Santiago:

“Wake up Amanda, wake up!”

My Thoughts on The Cross of Santiago:
Majanka
Book review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

The Cross of Santiago is a heart-warming, astonishing novel of love and destiny. Even though it’s more than 350 pages, I finished it in just a few hours. The writing really pulls you in from the start, and it doesn’t take long before you start to care about the characters and the adventures they find themselves in.

Amanda Morrison longs for something more than her current life. After a series of failed relationships, s
Annie
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book in exchange for my honest review.
I enjoyed reading this book! I like the idea of jumping between different centuries and stories, and I think Evie Gaughan does a good job building the characters and revealing their stories, past, connections, etc.
It also make me very curious about Galway and all the surroundings; I recently moved to Ireland, so having the opportunity to read about new places and finding out more about their history is always interesting to me.
The only thing
Naomi
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truthfully, I hadn’t heard of this author or book before but this is one of the best debuts I’ve read in years. The story was perfection. An instant favourite.

Being from Ireland myself and this being set on the West Coast of Ireland (which I love) made it all the more real and charming. From the descriptions of the West to the various nods to Irish language and culture, this book appealed to me in a way that many other books just can’t.

As historical fiction goes, I enjoyed the modern day aspect
Lorna Sixsmith
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a charming romance without being twee. Gaughan interweaves 16th century Spain with 21st century Ireland to bring us two love stories connected by the ill-fated Spanish Armada voyage so there's lots of interesting historical detail too which has been well researched.
Kenneth Reeves
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start, but picks up nicely.

For me, the beginning of the story was slow to get into. I think it picked up when Ms Gaughan introduced the 1588 events. Then to follow the growing relationship between 1588 and 2010 characters and events. The strongest characters were the females. Miguel was a nice gentleman, but seemed to be a knight more by inheritance than proven valour. When crisis came, Annora was the stronger leader. Finally, though Annora and Amanda had many similar traits, they seemed su
Kathryn J McMasters
A story of the past finally completed in the future.

Those that like historical romance will enjoy this book. Beautiful story of of an Irish lass and a Spanish Knight from the Armada which crashed on the shores of Ireland. A devastating hurricane brought the 2 together when the Spanish were trying to defeat England in 1500's. Fast forward to the present day and how an heirloom unites their fate. This book has a great true historical background. Good read.
Kristine A. Beirne
Loved it

I choose this rating because all together it was a fascinating story combining history within the current day. I admired this aspect of the book entwining the theme through the couples' stories of love, loss and healing. Since I have visited Galway, the book brought familiar sites to mind which made history come alive. I'm glad I found this book and would recommend it to a lover of Ireland, history and romance.
Mary Sue Wilson
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Read

Do you believe in reincarnation? If so, you will love this love story that goes back to Ireland and the wrecked ships of the Spanish Armada. It is the story of modern day Irish woman, Amanda, and Spaniard, Xavier, who seem to know each other even before meeting.
Erin
Oct 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I give up, I am never going to finish this....
Interesting premise and decent reviews but I just can't get remotely interested in it. Life is too short to force myself to read something that is supposed to be fun.
Linda Ulleseit
This is a novel where the past life mirrors the present. In the present, the characters were well done and I really wanted to follow their story. In the past, though, the story read like a textbook. Way too much dry information for me to care about the characters.
Debra Reedy
This could have been a much better story. The first half of the book was slow and then the last half felt very rushed. Some of the characters needed mor development and there was too much time spent on the Spanish Armada.
Corri
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It was a quick, enjoyable read. I ad a little bit of a hard time getting into the story and liking the main characters, but after awhile, it grew on me. The historical aspects in regards to the Spanish Armada and the attic on England were very interesting and well researched.
Suzanne Jenkins
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Ballinakill!

The apostrophe and its misuse is distracting. A number of times the word "taut" was replaced by "taught".
Good, lively storytelling, though
Kristi Cheatham
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

This was such a wonderful story. It is well written and the imagery is sublime. I look forward to reading more books from this author.
Shirley
Mar 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much history and slow

I did not finish this book as it was too slow and was hard to follow. The story line was didn't seem to make sense to me.
Emily Wallace
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a perfect guilty pleasure book to read. I love that it was written and set in Ireland. It was a fun diversion from reading books for work.
Edna Montz
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book

The book was very enjoyable. It has romance and mystery. Hopefully there will be other books written as we do not know how the cross was passed down.
MLBC
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

A well written story of love through the ages. I was eager to see how the various characters would all come together at the end. It made me sigh with a smile at the end.
Ann Calderwood
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, but the number of errors was startling and an almost constant interruption to the flow of the story. Spell Check is NOT the answer to everything!
Sabrina Olteanu
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for my honest review. Thank you Itching for Books and Evie Gaughan for giving me the chance to read The Cross of Santiago.

This is the second book I ever read that it this genre. I’m not a big fan of historical fiction, but I loved this book. I appreciate it even more when I saw that the author self published. I have a great appreciation for authors who have the courage to do this and they always have amazing books and incredible stories. The Cross of Santiago fol
Boundless Book Reviews
Honestly, this book got off to a bit of a slow start, but it picked up quickly and I am glad I got to review it.

This book follows Amanda, a young woman who was orphaned as a child and hasn't yet set a good future path for herself. She finds herself in possession of a very unique medallion that brings about many changes in her life. She soons finds herself on a new path. A path filled with history and intrigue.

This book had a lot of mystery. I was adopted and so I can relate to Amanda as a charac
Dawn
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.

The Cross of Santiago belongs in several different genres which makes it interesting. It starts out with Amanda, the main character, being in a relationship with a married man and not doing much with her life. Once she receives the Cross of Santiago from an aunt she never knew, she begins to change and she realizes she’s on a track to nowhere.

I enjoyed watching Amanda grow as the story progressed. It seems the more she delves into the past
Kirsty Bicknell
I was certainly intrigued by the different plot threads which Evie Gaughan evolves in The Cross of Santiago, but the pace of the story is relatively slow and I found myself growing impatient for characters to meet and events to occur.
I have never read a story like The Cross of Santiago and Evie Gaughan's attention to detail is amazing, particularly when writing about the historical part of the story. She combines the different areas of the plot in a way I was unprepared for and found especially
Jacquelyn Smith
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, own
I was given this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.
To know one soulmate, but not to know one yourself,that was the story of Amanda and Xavier life.
Amanda was adopted and lost in this world having no tries to her biological family. Xavier was just sailing thru life one contest after another, they had two things in common, they both had no past and they could feel a connection to the other. Most of this story take in the 1500s so if you love historical romance, adventure and humo
Jana Kvasnicova
marjorie Donofrio
rated it it was ok
May 03, 2018
mandy morgan
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2017
Goodreads Authors...: Time-Slip Novel - $0.99 1 4 Dec 12, 2014 05:16AM
Romance, Historic...: $0.99 Time-Slip Novel Giveaway 1 5 Dec 12, 2014 05:07AM
Romance, Historic...: A love story that transcends time... 1 9 Oct 24, 2014 02:51AM
Goodreads Ireland: Debut Irish Author E-book Giveaway 4 20 Oct 07, 2013 07:04AM
  • The Leopard Stratagem (Leopard King Saga, #2)
  • Lunula (Irador Series, #1)
  • Gargoyle Addiction (Otherworlds Summons, #1)
  • The Starlight Club
  • The Kaminsky Cure
  • No Quarter: Dominium - Volume 1
  • Dark Prelude
  • Get Inked: Indie Inked Fantasy Romance Sampler
  • A Thistle Beyond Time (Thistle & Hive, #2)
  • Catcher's Keeper
  • The Granite Key (Arkana Mysteries #1)
  • The Starry Child (Starry Child, #1)
  • Trapped
  • Bowery Girl
  • Charter to Redemption
  • Little Bones (Cathy Connolly, #1)
  • Lakeland Lily
  • Reawakening (The Passage of Hellsfire, Book 3)
Evie Gaughan is a writer and artist living in Galway City, beside the sea. Her books are a mix of genres, incorporating her love of history and a penchant for magic in the everyday.
The Heirloom is Evie's debut novel and is a time-slip epic set in Ireland during medieval times, with a parallel story in the present day. Her second novel, The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris is a magical tale set i
“In my chest, a strange voice awakens and a song plays inside me a longing that is not mine. They say that ancestors, dead before their time, with young blood still in their veins, with great passion in their blood, with the sun still burning in their blood come, come to continue to live within us their unfinished lives. O, who knows, soul of mine, in which chest you will sing… ‘Silence’ by Lucian Blaga” 0 likes