Start by marking “Beauty Tips for the Bereaved” as Want to Read:
Beauty Tips for the Bereaved

Beauty Tips for the Bereaved

Sunny Haralson's debut novel is a semi-illustrated, postmodern journey built from three generations of family tales, personal hardships, and many, many hamsters.
Published (first published June 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty Tips for the Bereaved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty Tips for the Bereaved

Jessica Mccarthy
Oct 04, 2013 Jessica Mccarthy rated it it was amazing
Fine. I admit it. I want to stalk Sunny Haralson. I want her to be my best friend. I cannot enjoy or even get past page 5 of a book in which I cannot hear and commune with my narrator. When I read (present tense) Beauty Tips for the Bereaved, I can hear the narrator and she is bare and tough and vivid and feminine and heroic. There is this cascading sense of meeting her narrator-- you get pieces of her personality piling on to each other.

From a language standpoint, her craft is lovely. I get ea
Mellisa
Sep 30, 2013 Mellisa rated it it was amazing
There are some books that just stick with you. They speak to your gut, your muscles, your sinew, and of course, your heart. "Beauty Tips for the Bereaved" is one of those books. Both gorgeously written and bursting with humor, this is the kind of book that will change you for the better once read. I love reading, and I love books of all kinds, but this is one of those books that goes beyond love -- it will be a tale that not only lives on in me, it's one that will be gifted to everyone I hold de ...more
Jeanette
Oct 16, 2013 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
I'm so sad that I'm no longer "currently reading" this book. It was such a good read, I didn't want it to end. Sunny does an incredible job describing what is is like to live in our modern world. A world where you are born into circumstances that you can't control. When you try and change those circumstances, you make as many mistakes as you do miracles (and usually you can't tell the difference between the two at the time).
Jenny Wise
Sep 29, 2013 Jenny Wise rated it it was amazing
Stunning, hypnotic book. I've read it twice, and has trouble putting it down both times. This book commands your attention, stirs your emotion, and may just expand your consciousness. It's that damn good. Do yourself a favor and read it immediately.
Steph
Sep 30, 2013 Steph rated it it was amazing
Love her blog and happy to be reading about her amazing life.
Martha
Sep 30, 2013 Martha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography-memoir
Do yourself a favor and read this book! You've never read anything like it. You'll be awed and inspired.
J.
Sep 13, 2014 J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sunny's book is a touching, heartrending, gritty account of living with Texas relatives from early childhood through high school in various surroundings--a west Texas farm, a Dallas shotgun shanty, an upper middle class Austin suburban home, a small apartment, and finally a tiny dilapadated trailer--while tracing the symptoms of a mysterious illness in first the father and then the daughter. Classmates in an Austin high school remind one of Linkletter characters in Slacker and Dazed and Confused ...more
Alicia
Jul 12, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Truly. I was crying the entire last 20 pages for good and sad reasons. Haunting and joyous. Disturbing and triumphant. Glad I gave Sam my Sunny Haralson original artwork since it will clearly be worth lots and lots as her story continues to unfold - in more beauty and love is my sincerest hope.
Erin
Dec 24, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-for-me
This book is absolutely heartbreaking. Sometimes I think this is the memoirs of someone with a dark sense of humor and sometimes I think it’s a cry for help. If you’re the type of person who absorbs other people’s depression, you probably should not read this. It will just ruin your day.
Diane Janes
Oct 16, 2013 Diane Janes rated it it was amazing
Haunting and beautiful. Will make you cry and laugh and wonder. The author is heroic and the writing is unique and compelling. She has a sharp wit, an amazing perspective and real talent for storytelling. This book should be a movie!
Tracy
Jan 12, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it
Beautiful, heartbreaking, disturbing, joyful. It's all of these things frequently simultaneously.
Carolee Wheeler
Dec 23, 2013 Carolee Wheeler rated it it was amazing
Resonated, with me, like Atlas Of The Human Heart. I'll be re-reading this.
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2013
DotBlack
DotBlack rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Carrie Burdy
Carrie Burdy rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2017
Nicole Renee
Nicole Renee rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Christiane
Christiane rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Darien Wilson
Darien Wilson rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013
Audrey Umber
Audrey Umber rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Beth Ann
Beth Ann rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Raquel Martin
Raquel Martin rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Katherine Ward
Katherine Ward rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Alyssa Schueneman
Alyssa Schueneman rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016